• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

thefil

Not gonna read too much before I'm done, but just felt a need to come in and mention the special mechanic for mission 7 gave me a splitting headache. It looks like the world when I'm about to have a migraine.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah I was noticing that too. So it a id tech 5 thing eh?

Glad I'm not the only one. The sounds in this game are really off. I'll keep sneaking by and it sounds like a guard is right behind me, but nope it's just your character click clacking around.

I don't know why, but I'm having a tough time trying to stealth this, playing on normal and I'm constantly dying. I don't remember having this much trouble with the first.

Mr. Tibbs

Setting aside the game's tech performance, rushed story setup, rough audio mix, VO and writing for the leads, this has some truly stellar moments.

Don't let the awful opening put you off. Karnaca itself is marvel. The side quests, especially the way the game presents opportunities of interest to you, are exactly what I want from a game like this. Domino is probably the best power in the series.

Wiseblood

Is there a way to restart a mission? I'm going for a no kills run and I apparently accidentally killed someone. My earliest autosave shows 1 kill.

TTG

Had a chance to try it tonight, and I hate to start on a downer, but it's still a slow, plodding game if you're looking to never or almost never raise alarms, isn't it? Movement is tortuously slow, there seems to be no way to grab people around corners, and the environments are open enough and populated by enough enemies that you can't improvise much at all and stay hidden.

As great as this looked in previews, I don't know if I can handle sitting in corners watching patrol routes for 20 hours like I did in the first game. The second encounter in the game and I'm already reloading because I tried poking around instead of tracking where every enemy would go. Maybe the magic stuff will mitigate these problems, I remember them being combat oriented in the first game, we'll see.

Non lethal is way more convoluted thsn Dishonored, to the point where I'll probably never play it again.

I'm not even sure how I beat mission 4 without being seen, tbh. It's making me explore every inch of the map, I guess, which is good.

bigmac996

Does anybody know if Bonecharm and Rune Crafting is worth pooling all my points into by the Clockwork Mansion mission? Does rune crafting eliminate the purpose of collecting them?

Thanks! Great game so far!

Menthuss

Non lethal is way more convoluted thsn Dishonored, to the point where I'll probably never play it again.

I'm not even sure how I beat mission 4 without being seen, tbh. It's making me explore every inch of the map, I guess, which is good.

How could it be more convoluted when it's the same as in Dishonored 1 + additional non-lethal options?
Dishonored 1 had choking out + sleep darts and those haven't changed in 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Non lethal is exactly the same only you have a wider assortment of powers and game systems are your disposal. How is that convoluted?

nOoblet16

I wish the game didn't have multiple endings dependent on you killing or not killing, instead it should have depended on other things i.e. whether you do side missions or explore etc etc.

By letting it depend on your kills you basically limit the player to one boring style with limited creativity if they want to get the best ending. I would have hoped that Arcane learned from Dishonored 1 and didn't do this in the sequel.

Like, the assassinations?

Certain n ones, yes. To give an emample. Massive Mission 4 spoilers.

To non lethally take Luvid out, you have to figure out the electroshock machince without beibg seen from above, and then retrive Luvid who's inbetween two clockwork soliders, get his body without being seen, and bring it back. Couple in the fact that the game encouraged you to run back Sokolovs body through the front door before the fight, which meant 3 trips through the front door of hell. It was too much.

Maybe convoluted was the wrong word, but something about the game right now is draining me, something that didn't happen with the first.

I'm trying to understand if this game is for me.

My main beef with the first game was that the stealth was not in any way fun. The high chaos way was super enjoyable and you felt like a badass but the game actually penalized you narratively for it. It was absurd for me that the game emphasized the importance of being subtle and peaceful but the tools for that approach were so lacking, it was so aggravating and I just quit halfway in.

Is it any different with this game?

kudos to whoever designed the clockwork mansion.
that place is crazy, in a good way.

it was tricky but i managed to
eliminate him with him even knowing i was there

I'm confused as to why you quoted me, I haven't killed anyone, you seem to have read my message wrong or misquote?

oh yeah, i meant to quote the guy above you.

btw, what are you guys doing with the free Dishonored 1 codes? giving them away somewhere?

leng jai

I'm trying to understand if this game is for me.

My main beef with the first game was that the stealth was not in any way fun. The high chaos way was super enjoyable and you felt like a badass but the game actually penalized you narratively for it. It was absurd for me that the game emphasized the importance of being subtle and peaceful but the tools for that approach were so lacking, it was so aggravating and I just quit halfway in.

Is it any different with this game?

I haven't played much but stealth is pretty frustrating in this game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Just on this point about the first game:

It's far from absurd and your hardly 'punished'. The whole game was about the temptation to abuse power. Everyone in the game (player included) who abused or was corrupted power, be it magic or political, met a terrible fate. That theme tied into gameplay in quite a clever way, I think.

Should the player have been rewarded for abusing their power and being a psychopathic killer, given that...?

i don't know why stealth is so hard for you guys, if you upgrade Blink you can stop time and teleport out of the way if someone is about to spot you.

or if you have the Slow Down Time ability, you can activate that and run/blink away.

not to mention Dark Vision lets you see through the damned walls, though it is nerfed from Dishonored 1.

Just on this point about the first game:

It's far from absurd and your hardly 'punished'. The whole game was about the temptation to abuse power. Everyone in the game (player included) who abused or was corrupted power, be it magic or political, met a terrible fate. That theme tied into gameplay in quite a clever way, I think.

Should the player have been rewarded for abusing their power and being a psychopathic killer, given that...?

I understand the narrative reason and appreciate it but there is a big difference between a good challenge with the right tools and frustrating because there are no game mechanics that rewards this approach.

In first game, if you wanted to play stealthy you only had like 2-3 relevant powers and weapons to rely on while the high chaos approach had many other tricks and mechanics. If I compare it to a game like Thief, you had way more options and game mechanics to support your playstyle.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In first game, if you wanted to play stealthy you only had like 2-3 relevant powers and weapons to rely on while the high chaos approach had many other tricks and mechanics. If I compare it to a game like Thief, you had way more options and game mechanics to support your playstyle.

I don't know about that. Equipment-wise, sure, but most of the main powers available were useful for stealth/no-kills: Blink, Bend Time, Possession and Dark Vision were all relevant. There's only Wind Blast & Devouring Swarm after that, I think. Ghosting with powers was pretty easy.

From what I've read, D2 has a ton more non-lethal options (including in combat), if that's what you're after. :)

Wiseblood

OK, after beating the Royal Conservatory mission it says I only got 7 of 9 bone charms. The heart isn't showing anything though (checked both at the conservatory and near the start of the level), what gives?

Yep, hated stealthing that mission, spent probably an hour with the exit in sight just trying to either get around or distract the new enemy type. That there isn't a way to stealthily take them out without being seen is a huge oversight given the strength of the game is to be able to play as you want.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the game provides a crazy huge amount of tools and powers to get through areas and encounters as non-lethal stealth. More than the original, with plenty of wiggle room to get inventive. A single sleeping dark and upgraded domino can take down like three - four guys stupid easily.

If you're save scumming to get ghosting and getting frustrated at alerts then I don't know what to tell you. It's not supposed to be effortlessly easy to ghost through the game. The level, AI, encounter, and game system design are built specifically to encourage involved play, which can include alerts, baiting, retreating, and adapting to situations. I feel strongly that the point of these games is to accept when a mission doesn't work out quite as you intended, even if it's just triggering an alert, and making the best of the situation. Getting frustrated at the stealth, getting caught, and refusing to adapt in preference of ghosting thus leveraging repeated save scumming is more just forcing yourself to have a frustrating time.

Yeah, the game provides a crazy huge amount of tools and powers to get through areas and encounters as non-lethal stealth. More than the original, with plenty of wiggle room to get inventive. A single sleeping dark and upgraded domino can take down like three - four guys stupid easily.

If you're save scumming to get ghosting and getting frustrated at alerts then I don't know what to tell you. It's not supposed to be effortlessly easy to ghost through the game. The level, AI, encounter, and game system design are built specifically to encourage involved play, which can include alerts, baiting, retreating, and adapting to situations. I feel strongly that the point of these games is to accept when a mission doesn't work out quite as you intended, even if it's just triggering an alert, and making the best of the situation. Getting frustrated at the stealth, getting caught, and refusing to adapt in preference of ghosting thus leveraging repeated save scumming is more just forcing yourself to have a frustrating time.

I agree. Look, I understand if some people prefer to ghost all the way through from start to finish and without killing anyone.

But for me, Dishonored shines more when you try to adapt to a bad situation and using tools to solve problems rather than save scumming every time a guard spots you.

Excellent post!

Certainly with the original Dishonored I never even attempted a Ghost run until I think it was my 4th playthrough, and I think that this one will be just the same.

First playthrough for me is all about letting the chips fall where they fall, and seeing what emerges.

2nd playthrough I usually try a high chaos approach maxing out weapon upgrades etc.

Even on the original I needed to really know my way around the levels before trying a Ghost run or you will be reloading a LOT. With the AI in 2 being even more punishing (at least on Hard the awareness meters are more sensitive and fill up MUCH quicker), trying to go undetected first time through sounds like a recipe for frustration.

I think some folks also conflate low chaos and ghosting as something that go hand in hand, and while you can do it that way I really like that the sequel has a lot more options for low chaos on it's own, if you aren't trying to ghost.

Smoolio

Full assault, full non-lethal. Feel like a super hero, love it. Playing on hard, slide take-down on dominoed enemies while blinking around so gud. School the last standing with a parry>choke>throw>ground knockout, The Empress can be my nom de guerre.

Fledz

A body being found still gives you ghost. Was that the same in the first?
Not that I'm going for ghost but I'll take it per mission where I can!

Loved mission 3, really great design in the way you have to go back and forth as you unlock things.

Jindosh's riddle was pretty neat. Pretty satisfying to solve. There is one praise in it that's worded oddly that almost caused me not to solve it though, but other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Certainly with the original Dishonored I never even attempted a Ghost run until I think it was my 4th playthrough, and I think that this one will be just the same.

That's a good point. I feel like my Dishonored run with no alarms, upgrades, kills, was easier, but that was also my 3rd run in that game. So I knew the maps. This time there's almost always a mandatory reload or two just to learn the layout, which is fine.

I mean yeah, and maybe that's what hit me so hard. Going from dominoing a whole room of regular enemies, to being able to do nothing against the Clockworks. It's a pretty jarring jump on that level. The front door in particular.

OK, after beating the Royal Conservatory mission it says I only got 7 of 9 bone charms. The heart isn't showing anything though (checked both at the conservatory and near the start of the level), what gives?

The last two, if i am not mistaken,
are on Ashworth's body. In my playthrought she had to die because i was roleplaying that way so i found them on the corpse, i don't know if you can loot them if she is just stunned.

Corvo power set >>> Emily power set

It's amazing how not good the va and writing in this game is despite how interesting the world is.nfirst game had the same problem tbf

Just like the first game, the initial non-powers level had me skeptical but after a couple hours exploring the rooftops of Karnaca I am sold.

I adore the aesthetics and feeling of a "colonial" city, feels like Havana, Valparaiso, and Rio De Janeiro rolled up into one with the colorful sun-baked Spanish colonial buildings,a city climbing up a hill off the bay, and lush jungle backdrop. I adore the prominence of woodwork in the architecture and interiors.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's amazing how not good the va and writing in this game is despite how interesting the world is.nfirst game had the same problem tbf

I thought it was excellent in the first, but way overdone in this one.

The first one was perfect because Corvo didn't dictate the player how to feel about anything that was happening. You could play however you wanted, and feel however you wanted.

In this one, every 5 minutes Corvo talks about saving you-know-who, getting revenge on -you-know-who, sentimental monologues around every corner. Every other turn the game is beating you on the head "HEY ARE YOU STILL FEELING THE FEELS?" and I don't like that one bit. Also doesn't help that Corvo sounds like Max Payne. The gruff voice, the way he speaks. Only thing missing is talk about booze and pills.

Ya that's unfortunate, the opening in particular was kinda rough. It pains me to say it because I love Garrett but I didn't like Stephen Russell's take on Corvo, goes a little too hard on the gruff/gravelly and the writing didn't do him any favors. Luckily I am playing as Emily and she's seemed fine so far.

ieatzombies

Great post! I absolutely agree. I can't lie. I did that with the first game. It's very taxing and the systems in place I believe incourage more dynamic type of play. I would honestly go for ghosting the game after a playthrough or two so you can fully enjoy the game instead of exhausting yourself the first go round.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The journalist briefly panicking after you save him from a guard doesn't count as a detection, does it?

Stoze

I donno man, Domino and fully upgraded Far Reach are nuts. It's damn hard to beat Blink and Bend Time though.

Far Reaching (force pulling) enemies and objects is probably the most fun I've had with a single power in both games.

Tovarisc

Is there a way to restart a mission? I'm going for a no kills run and I apparently accidentally killed someone. My earliest autosave shows 1 kill.

There is no restart, no. Dev advice was "Just make hard save at start of every mission"

Does anybody know if Bonecharm and Rune Crafting is worth pooling all my points into by the Clockwork Mansion mission? Does rune crafting eliminate the purpose of collecting them?

Crafting is powerful when you start to stack up on charms you want to use, but don't have slots to equip them all.

2 missing ones are worn by primary target.

xviper

i like the game and all but for some reason i'm feeling bored of it, i'm at
mission 7
and i don't know if the game is boring because there is almost nothing new from the first game or the missions aren't as good as the first game

nOoblet16

I'm in the last level and the story is like eh? whatever.

I really don't like the way they handled having Corvo and Emily in the same game.

DSmalls84

Is bone charm crafting worth investing runes into? Are the crafted charms way better than what you find?

Edit: nevermind already answered.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to be a lot more to spend Runes on in this game- should I be more conservative with power upgrades than the first game? In that you could get pretty much everything you wanted for a non-lethal run by the end.

No. To craft a bonecharm, you need to sacrifice bonecharms so you can apply that power.

Strangely enough, I applied 4 "slightly faster to choke out enemies" to one charm and it appears to be going slower now.

Top Bottom