• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

valeu

this game is mind-blowingly good. it really reminds me of bioshock: the combining of powers, melee, and weapons; first person; in a cool "other world" with a lot of backstory and rich detail; although the open-world-style missions have more to explore in this game because of the verticality. i'm digging it. it's my second favorite game this year so far after uncharted 4

i don't seem to be playing like everyone else here though. i'm like a demon in a slaughterhouse wherever i go, bodies flying in the air, necks choked and blood squirting at every turn...not civilians mind you. haha. i feel a little overpowered and i'm only on mission 3, pulling enemies in the air to me and choking them out is effortless, but it does feel satisfying. maybe on my next playthrough i'll try stealth

nOoblet16

In the opening cutscene we see Corvo blink and kill enemies and a note is made that how long has he been hiding the outsider's mark since he blinked in front of everyone. Then if you pick Corvo for the game and meet outsider he acts like has hasn't been able to blink or feel the Outsider's mark in a while.

Strange

Tovarisc

How are loading times on console? Started to wonder because on PC loading times go to 3+ minutes if your FPS is locked to 30. Considering consoles target 30FPS, right? So if loading times are okay I wonder why on PC that same FPS causes issues.

In the opening cutscene we see Corvo blink and kill enemies and a note is made that how long has he been hiding the outsider's mark since he blinked in front of everyone. Then if you pick Corvo for the game and meet outsider he acts like has hasn't been able to blink or feel the Outsider's mark in a while.

Strange

I think it's meant as "I had forgotten how this used to feel..." kinda thing. Just like Emily is super excited about having that power and feeling for first time in her life.

First Hitman (2016) now Dishonored 2. Both are incredible games but damn, they make me super stressed lol. I've just passed the halfway point of the game playing as Emily.

abundant

How are loading times on console? Started to wonder because on PC loading times go to 3+ minutes if your FPS is locked to 30. Considering consoles target 30FPS, right? So if loading times are okay I wonder why on PC that same FPS causes issues.

They're alright. Better then the first game. It takes less than a minute when loading a new stage.

Tovarisc

They're alright. Better then the first game. It takes less than a minute when loading a new stage.

Sounds reasonable. I wonder why game is so borked on PC. FPS30 and suddenly you spend up to 10 minutes in loading screen. Your FPS goes over 60 and mouse becomes sluggish and unresponsive. And so forth.

Edit: Patch should land next week tho, fingers crossed

How do you unlock the final non lethal option? Is there a book I missed or something? I know what the objective is, but until it triggers I can't actually do it. I'm confused.

nOoblet16

How do you unlock the final non lethal option? Is there a book I missed or something? I know what the objective is, but until it triggers I can't actually do it. I'm confused.

Do you have the corrupted rune? If not then you need to make it in the chapel, everything you need is there.
If the answer to the question is yes then:

then you need to use it on the throne before you follow Delilah into the painting. Then you take her doubles out however you want, then knock her out, then carry her back to her throne outside the painting.

I didn't quite get what was happening there story wise though.

BashNasty

i don't seem to be playing like everyone else here though. i'm like a demon in a slaughterhouse wherever i go, bodies flying in the air, necks choked and blood squirting at every turn...not civilians mind you. haha. i feel a little overpowered and i'm only on mission 3, pulling enemies in the air to me and choking them out is effortless, but it does feel satisfying. maybe on my next playthrough i'll try stealth

I'm with you man, I'm an absolute murderous psychopath, only difference is that not even civilians are safe from me, I kill em all. Not honestly sure why everyone seems to go stealth, because you're right, just about every single person you hear talking in here is trying to figure out the best powers to stealth with or how to best ghost the game. It's like the moment a game gives you the option to stealth, people feel like they have to do that. I'm the opposite, if a game allows me to be stealthy, I take even more joy in destroying everything in my path, partially because I know it'll be the path less chosen, and partially because I know it'll be a ton more fun.

Do you have the corrupted rune? If not then you need to make it in the chapel, everything you need is there.
If the answer to the question is yes then:

then you need to use it on the throne before you follow Delilah into the painting. Then you take her doubles out however you want, then knock her out, then carry her back to her throne outside the painting.

I didn't quite get what was happening there story wise though.

I guess I'll go explore more then, because right now I don't have anything, just kill and find another way. You'd think her
Diary would have a hint in it or something.

Filben

Am I the only one with unstable and just bad performance? i5 4690k with GTX 1070 here and fps in the tutorial were about 80 to 100 fps at full hd (25-30 at 4k) but were heavily fluctuating between 35 and 65 after the campaign introduction (first cutscene with below 30s) at the first playable part depending on what I'm looking at and which direction. Not even everything on high/ultra @1080p. Drivers are up to date.

Oh, and what means adaptive resolution in the basic graphics options?

lightus

I'm liking the game so far but I'm already getting annoyed with some wonky AI. On mission 3 currently and I'm getting spotted very easily.

The was one instance of a guard who kept spotting me through walls. I also sleep darted a guard and all his buddies in the room fully spotted me as soon as he passed out although I was hidden and not moving. I'm playing on medium and I played through the first on a bunch of time so I feel I shouldn't be doing this bad.

I'm loving the game otherwise though, I'm taking my time with it. There's a lot of small things to find if you dig around.

Tovarisc

Am I the only one with unstable and just bad performance? i5 4690k with GTX 1070 here and fps in the tutorial were about 80 to 100 fps at full hd (25-30 at 4k) but were heavily fluctuating between 35 and 65 after the campaign introduction (first cutscene with below 30s) at the first playable part depending on what I'm looking at and which direction. Not even everything on high/ultra @1080p. Drivers are up to date.

Oh, and what means adaptive resolution in the basic graphics options?

Join us in glorious PC performance thread, we are many; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310955&page=28

That said your performance sounds about right for the game as it's currently. Hopefully next weeks patch improves optimization. Also you can ignore Adaptive Resolution slider, doesn't seem to work at all.

Satch

Banned
how the hell
do i get out of this room
the answer is probably right in front of me and the moment one of you tells me im going to feel like the biggest dumbass in history

abundant

how the hell
do i get out of this room
the answer is probably right in front of me and the moment one of you tells me im going to feel like the biggest dumbass in history

If you're talking about A Crack in the Slab, don't worry, I had trouble too. What you need to do is walk up to the locked door in the present, then travel back in time.

Satch

Banned
If you're talking about A Crack in the Slab, don't worry, I had trouble too. What you need to do is walk up to the locked door in the present, then travel back in time.

god as soon as you posted this i did that exact thing and i swear i facepalmed so hard i might have knocked a screw loose

cyba89

First two missions were so-so but I completed mission 3 and really liked that one. Great atmosphere there. Hope the game can keep this quality.

Can't play this with mouse though. Feels so weird. Switched to playing with a controller until there is a patch.

Why on earth did they take the Heart from being mapped to touchpad swipe like on DE?
If anything, I thought they would have improved by adding swipe to unequip it.

Why on earth did they take the Heart from being mapped to touchpad swipe like on DE?
If anything, I thought they would have improved by adding swipe to unequip it.

Now that you mention it, every game has quietly stopped using swipe. Even Uncharted 4 (first party) didn't use it, I think. Which sucks, because it was actually useful. Touchpad swipe added, at least, 2 more buttons.

I can't think of a single game that has used it recently.

Now that you mention it, every game has quietly stopped using swipe. Even Uncharted 4 (first party) didn't use it, I think. Which sucks, because it was actually useful. Touchpad swipe added, at least, 2 more buttons.

I can't think of a single game that has used it recently.

I can't think what the most recent game (release date wise), I've played that's used it.
Also, quick save and quick load should have been mapped to long press on the left and right side of it. It was quicker to save and load on DE than it is to quick save and load on this due to how long it takes for the pause screen to appear.

EmiPrime

Given I like to play FPS on PS4 with the Xbox One controller, I am thankful that the heart is not mapped to the trackpad!

I'm at mission 6 now and I'm still really enjoying myself. Instead of picking one route through to the target it's fun trying all of them out and seeing everything each level has to offer.

roytheone

Man, I really need to find my dishonored legs back, it feels like I am hitting the quick load button every minute or so :(

The nerfed void gaze also makes it harder, it feels like it's range is not even half of that from dishonored 1.

apologies if already asked but any info on bonecharm crafting? i just unlocked it. kinda feel like there's no reason not to sacrifice every one I get to unlock its traits.

Tovarisc

apologies if already asked but any info on bonecharm crafting? i just unlocked it. kinda feel like there's no reason not to sacrifice every one I get to unlock its traits.

Game has a lots of charms so you will end up in place where you have more charms you want to use than you have slots to equip them in. That is when crafting charms with 4 traits comes super handy. Especially if you have perk that it has low chance of getting negative trait.

Jb

The nerfed void gaze also makes it harder, it feels like it's range is not even half of that from dishonored 1.

That and making it a pulse means a lot more fans must have been complaining about how OP it was in the first one that I would have thought.

Credits just rolled after about 14 hours. I loved my time with it because I'm a fan of this type of game and the level design kept surprising me, but it did feel a bit small for a sequel 4 years in the making with no radical design change. It could have used a couple additional chapters and a more engaging plot. Maybe having to design the game for both Corvo and Emily meant they had to limit their scope, I dunno.

I'd say it was a worthy sequel, but it didn't quite pack the punch of the original.

Also who the fuck was Ramsey? I saw he was voiced by Sam Rockwell but I can't remember which NPC that was.

valeu

wow. i just finished level 3. it felt like a whole game in one level. arcane is really in top form. they're making the new prey, right? it's gonna be amazing....as i'm playing this i'm thinking about other games they would create a fantastic world in: resident evil, evil within, bioshock (obvious), batman

Freeman76

wow. i just finished level 3. it felt like a whole game in one level. arcane is really in top form. they're making the new prey, right? it's gonna be amazing....as i'm playing this i'm thinking about other games they would create a fantastic world in: resident evil, evil within, bioshock (obvious), batman

Yeah that level took me a long time to complete and i still missed a rune that seemed to just be out of reach under the floorboards. Great game, my only complaint is the amount of reading they expect you to do, I mean fuck off Arkane putting so much of that in its like a novel half the time i cant be arsed with reading it all.

jrcbandit

Man, I really need to find my dishonored legs back, it feels like I am hitting the quick load button every minute or so :(

Yeah, I feel like I wasted points into void gaze since it only shows mobs very close to you and when it does it is only via pulse. I don't bother using it at all anymore now that I have more abilities unlocked and I'm using a gamepad due to wonky mouse controls (only 4 shortcuts). I understand why it was nerfed from the first game, but in it's current incarnation it doesn't feel that useful when you can be using other powers instead.

Also, Domino needs to have a longer range to mark targets.. If I'm in range to use Domino to it's maximum effect of 4 targets, you are almost always get spotted by at least 1 dude since the AI spotting seems overly sensitive in this game. More often I find myself only being able to target 1-2 guys and the remaining people just slightly out of range.

JJShadow

I'm having a blast with the game, one of my 2016 GOTY contenders for sure. I had a really frustrating time during the first couple of levels due to how powerless you are, but once I started unlocking powers, talismans and guns it finally clicked, I'm 9 hours in and still in mission 4, I'm trying to find all secrets, runes and talismans. And yeah, the world, design level and aesthetic is top-notch level, my only complaint maybe is the insane amount of reading there's in the game, like reading a novel lol

So, I just arrived at
the Clockwork mansion and encountered the Clockwork soldiers for the first time. What's the best strategy to take them down?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So, I just arrived at
the Clockwork mansion and encountered the Clockwork soldiers for the first time. What's the best strategy to take them down?

There are a couple things you can do, depending on your overall playstyle.

For Stealth, you can
Stealth up and rewire them in the leg bulge to have them attack anyone not you.

You can also hit from range -
Crossbow or pistol their head camera off, and they go berserk and attack everyone

Electricity also works -
Either two stun mines or one that's been upgraded to give two shocks will also take them out.

DSmalls84

I'm having a blast with the game, one of my 2016 GOTY contenders for sure. I had a really frustrating time during the first couple of levels due to how powerless you are, but once I started unlocking powers, talismans and guns it finally clicked, I'm 9 hours in and still in mission 4, I'm trying to find all secrets, runes and talismans. And yeah, the world, design level and aesthetic is top-notch level, my only complaint maybe is the insane amount of reading there's in the game, like reading a novel lol

So, I just arrived at

Try to drop assassination them from above. Takes two hits but way faster than just sword fighting them.

valeu

Yeah that level took me a long time to complete and i still missed a rune that seemed to just be out of reach under the floorboards. Great game, my only complaint is the amount of reading they expect you to do, I mean fuck off Arkane putting so much of that in its like a novel half the time i cant be arsed with reading it all.

i read online how to get to that rune. it's in the
basement, but how do you get to the basement? arkane hid the entrance very cleverly
. and i agree, there's a lot to read, but at the same time i respect the effort that went into adding that extra layer of detail and story

YaBish

Yeah, I feel like I wasted points into void gaze since it only shows mobs very close to you and when it does it is only via pulse. I don't bother using it at all anymore now that I have more abilities unlocked and I'm using a gamepad due to wonky mouse controls (only 4 shortcuts). I understand why it was nerfed from the first game, but in it's current incarnation it doesn't feel that useful when you can be using other powers instead.

Also, Domino needs to have a longer range to mark targets.. If I'm in range to use Domino to it's maximum effect of 4 targets, you are almost always get spotted by at least 1 dude since the AI spotting seems overly sensitive in this game. More often I find myself only being able to target 1-2 guys and the remaining people just slightly out of range.

I freaking love Domino, but I think that's kind of the point of it. It can't work from too far away, otherwise what's to stop someone from using the spyglass+domino+crossbow to take out large amounts of people without any risk of getting caught?

What's been working well for me is to get up above people and mark them. The good thing about domino is that it works through walls and such, and over long distances, so you can mark one guy, walk a little bit aways and mark somebody else (haven't really tested how far it goes). But anyways, if you're up high, all you have to do is distract one of the dominoed people into a corner and batman the hell out of them.

I should also mention that I'm doing a ghost non-lethal playthrough, and I've found that Domino is my most used skill by far, outside of far reach and dark vision.

SkylineRKR

Domino is great and I wished I specced it sooner instead of shadow walk. I like to mark a few guys and then pull one. Pulling is fun though I wish there was some sort of air kick instead of the regular grab (you can kick them when they're on the ground but still).

Dark Vision is okay, its sometimes handy to see senties turn around when you're behind a wall. But I never wasted more points in it as the ability to see drones seem useless or way too contextual.

Clockwork guys are sort of a joke, I enjoy messing around with them. There are multiple ways to take them down which is rather cool.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
i read online how to get to that rune. it's in the
basement, but how do you get to the basement? arkane hid the entrance very cleverly
. and i agree, there's a lot to read, but at the same time i respect the effort that went into adding that extra layer of detail and story

That one's honestly pretty nonsensical, I don't think it's really explained at all, unless I missed it.

Basically, to get there, you need to
Go up to the roof at the top of the building (exit outside from where the guards are blocking off the Doctor's room and look up for an open circular vent), and cut the elevator cable

roytheone

I wished they kept the range longer for items though. It can be hard to make out items you can pick up, and void gaze is a lot less useful now for that :(

Tovarisc

I wished they kept the range longer for items though. It can be hard to make out items you can pick up, and void gaze is a lot less useful now for that :(

I think issue is less about range and more about overall filter being orange tinted while items are highlighted in yellow, those colors blend too much.

roytheone

I think issue is less about range and more about overall filter being orange tinted while items are highlighted in yellow, those colors blend too much.

That doesn't help either, yeah. I just remembered it being super useful in dishonored 1 with making items you can pick up really stand out. It is A LOT less useful this time.

Wanderer5

Lol I spooked a NPC I was trying to knock out and he started running off, but I used far reach grab to throw him back at me so I can get him out.

And domino is so wonderful heh, even if the range can feel a bit short.

Probably reached the midway point of chapter 8, and shall look forward to
getting into the duke's place later.

JJShadow

There are a couple things you can do, depending on your overall playstyle.

For Stealth, you can
Stealth up and rewire them in the leg bulge to have them attack anyone not you.

You can also hit from range -
Crossbow or pistol their head camera off, and they go berserk and attack everyone

Electricity also works -
Either two stun mines or one that's been upgraded to give two shocks will also take them out.

Try to drop assassination them from above. Takes two hits but way faster than just sword fighting them.

Thanks! Will try some of these in my next game session

Top Bottom