• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

seph1roth

Seriously...THANK YOU Arkane for letting this game be played without powers, it's so old school, gameplay and level design is amazing.

Disabling all the hub and mission objectives is superb.

A game designed for every kind of gamer, i'm enjoying it like hell on stealth playthrough.

Seriously...THANK YOU Arkane for letting this game be played without powers, it's so old school, gameplay and level design is amazing.

Disabling all the hub and mission objectives is superb.

A game designed for every kind of gamer, i'm enjoying it like hell on stealth playthrough.

What about the kind of gamers that like smooth framerates and good sound mixing?

Loving the game so far even with the technical issues.

Satch

Banned
i dont know HOW the hell you guys are playing this without powers

the couple times that i havent had access to powers ive been absolutely terrified

seph1roth

No powers mode basically makes this game the true Thief sequel that we never got doesn't it?

Not exactly, Thief is a master piece, i doubt Dishonored 2 will accomplish that level (i doubt it A LOT) but at least we have a game with an old school smell that a lot of gamers were claiming.

For a comparison, at the moment, Dishonored 2 is to Thief what Doom 2016 is to the original Doom, not exactly the same thing, probably not at the same level, but an amazing game after all.

Teggy

I was trying to get the text of the jindosh riddle so she could just work on it offline, and it turns out there are many different versions of it. Very cool that they put that work into it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not being able to restart a mission is patently absurd, especially since there's no collectables screen you can consult mid-game.

Timeaisis

So for those who finished with both characters...

Whose more fun? Corvo or Emily. Going for Corvo High chaos first run, but looking forward to Emily 2nd time through.

Jocund

Does this game have a good story story or is it all about gameplay?

The story is competent but not exceptional in any way. It's on par with the first title. The game's sense of place, accomplished through the art direction and level design, is excellent though. So it's like a mix of gameplay and setting that the game excels in.

valeu

That's Sam Rockwell playing Ramsey, the target in the very opening of the game? Man I did not recognize his voice at all.

i was convinced that meagan, the one-armed busted-eyed boat captain is played by adina porter, the actress who played tara's mom on true blood and she's on this season of american horror story. it looks like her a little in the face and sounds like her. but it's actually rosario dawson

How long is this game?

I need to beat it by Wednesday or Thursday, and should be playing it now. I'm just tired and not really feeling up to it, like I haven't all weekend due to depression/other things.

Wanderer5

Does this game have a good story story or is it all about gameplay?

Story is okay and serviceable, but the game shines elsewhere pretty much. Personally I probably enjoy the story here more than the first game, cause more interesting villains, and I like Emily a lot.

Billy Lush's Outsider > Robin Lord Taylor's Outsider

Yeah almost to the end of the game, and I still not a fan of the new Outsider VA. The ways the lines are being delivered are just, bleh. I think it some effects that they added to his voice or something.

The Flash

Banned
Yeah almost to the end of the game, and I still not a fan of the new Outsider VA. The ways the lines are being delivered are just, bleh.

He's just boring. Billy Lush's Outsider was cold, menacing, and made you feel small. This one comes off all cheery and acts like he wants to be your friend. The sound effects on his voice are dumb too.

Zesh

Mission 6 was just fine from start to end (great mission btw!), but in 7 random NPC dies when I pick up items like runes. Need restart mission tomorrow and hope for best.
Has anyone figured out what this issue is? A bit worried about progressing with my clean hands run after hearing about this glitch. Also reading that this is a thing in mission 8 as well?

carlsojo

This game gives me such Bioshock vibes it's crazy.

Chapter 4: How do I
nonlethal Jindosh undetected? Those two patrolling clockwork guys are giving me a hell of a time.

This game gives me such Bioshock vibes it's crazy.

Chapter 4: How do I
nonlethal Jindosh undetected? Those two patrolling clockwork guys are giving me a hell of a time.

You need to use an electroshock machine on the lower level of the lab. Take the elevator to the top, hide from the clockwork robots and use shadow walk to get behind Jindosh and you should be able to choke him out before they get close. Then just drop him and get some distance. Take out the clockworks and then take Jindosh to the lower level and plop him in the chair. Then you just fiddle with the machinery until the power levels are correct and you're all set.

Fucking hell - now on mission 4 and somehow I killed two people and have no idea how. Jesus. Fuck it, I'm just gonna do this round as high chaos at this point and stop giving a fuck, and then round two I'll go for complete stealth. Bah.

Got through the Clockwork Mansion today. I still don't get how to take out those Clockwork Soldiers but at least I got through it. Still have no kills as well, so hopefully I don't get any bugs to mess that up. I'm really loving this game so far; I can't wait to see what Emily's powers are like once I beat my first playthrough with Corvo, and to slaughter everyone as well, haha. I love stealth and no kill runs but this game makes it pretty hard to not get spotted, not that I'm saying that's a bad thing :)

So, am I alone in the Black Market sidequest of Chapter 8, or did it happen for everyone else?

As in, each step that logically brings you closer to robbing the Black Market is one-upped with the game pulling the rug out from you. Get the key to the shipment? It's been raided by the Grand Guard. Find the code to get they key to the store itself? The shopkeeper was murdered while you were gone, and you have no way to get to the key.

Anyone know how to rob him, or is it a moot point?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Trying to play low chaos is not fun for me due to the AI. Probably give that up soon.

Why doesn't corvo have any hand to hand skills? This parry into choke is dumb. :p

Tovarisc

Has anyone figured out what this issue is? A bit worried about progressing with my clean hands run after hearing about this glitch. Also reading that this is a thing in mission 8 as well?

I meant missions 5 and 8. Counted mission numbers wrong last night. I have workaround for bug in 5, but didn't get around to playing today so 8 is still WIP.

Lotto

God I love this game so much. Hats off to Arkane studios for creating such a realized and interesting world with an incredible art direction. From what little gameplay I've actually done and seeing all the upgrade paths, I already know I'm gonna love it. I've only played about 2 hours so far and I've been grinning like crazy seeing a new part of the Empire of Isles. Can't wait to explore more of it!

SlickVic

How long is this game?

I need to beat it by Wednesday or Thursday, and should be playing it now. I'm just tired and not really feeling up to it, like I haven't all weekend due to depression/other things.

12 to 20 hours is what's been going around (pretty sure Arkane put those numbers out before). Sounds like a full on lethal playthrough probably can be done faster.

I don't know your particular situation and don't mean to pry, but speaking from experience, rushing through a game to meet a deadline tends not to be the best way to enjoy it. If possible, I'd recommend coming back to it when you have more free time (game will still be there).

Jocund

I do wish this game had more non-lethal animations. As someone else mentioned, choking dudes out all the time gets boring after a while. There's like a hundred lethal kill variations.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dang, I feel like I'm either missing an implied association that's not stated outright, or my logic puzzle for chapter 6 is missing something.

Gonna get it figured out though, lol.

Teggy

I do wish the non-lethal drop was a bit more forgiving. I have messed that up so many times that I generally just find another way, even though it is awesome and saves a sleep dart. I think I did it today and wound up doing a roll when I hit the ground, which I didn't realize was a thing.

Satch

Banned
mission 7 spoilers:

the
time travel
mechanic absolutely lived up to expectations, what a hell of a way to present it

i feel like we've seen that mechanic presented in other games, but the execution in this game was fresh and brought a very unique tension to it.

Grisby

Yeah, I'm getting frustrated, but it's my fault I guess. Was trying to get by most areas unseen (which is super difficult because guards can spot you from half a map away, and they always travel in packs) and do no lethal stuff either.

Led to a lot of dying and reloading and now after 8 hours im on mission 4. I'm still gonna try and do non lethal but forget trying too hard to not be seen. These dude are just too good as that.

Story and mission design hasn't don a lot for me yet outside of mission 2, but 4 sounds interesting. Art style is gorgeous of course.

mission 7 spoilers:

the
time travel
mechanic absolutely lived up to expectations, what a hell of a way to present it

i feel like we've seen that mechanic presented in other games, but the execution in this game was fresh and brought a very unique tension to it.

Yeah, other games have tried to do it, but this feels like the first fully realized attempt. It's really, really neat.

BeeDog

Question for mission 4 (spoilers):

The first time you visit the black market store that Paolo guy (leader of the Howlers) shows up. I tried attacking him there due to a trophy, and he turned into rats. The store though was closed and didn't seem to wanna re-open.

How does this work, can you follow him out of the store and attack him or is there a better way to deal with this situation without losing the trophy and the store contents?

Lijik

Question for mission 4 (spoilers):

The first time you visit the black market store that Paolo guy (leader of the Howlers) shows up. I tried attacking him there due to a trophy, and he turned into rats. The store though was closed and didn't seem to wanna re-open.

How does this work, can you follow him out of the store and attack him or is there a better way to deal with this situation without losing the trophy and the store contents?

What I did was
Domino Paolo and his two goons, shot a sleep dart at one, and then cleared up the rats with my sword mid-dialogue when hes shaking down the clerk. The clerk repeated her dialogue to go hide when I walked up the first time after, but otherwise stayed open after that.

I can only play this for a short amount of time on PC due to the wonky frame rate and controls. Does the console versions have the same issues as PC?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game is pretty great. I've played about 14 ~ 15 hours now and just started mission 6, but I keep wanting to come back for more. Emily's powers are a lot of fun, but I think some of them might be a bit too powerful.

I've been scouring each level and taking a few hours on each. I'm really loving the level design this time around (not that it was bad in the original).

Karnaca is an interesting setting, but I do hope I get a few more missions in Dunwall before the game is done.

I can only play this for a short amount of time on PC due to the wonky frame rate and controls. Does this console versions have the same issues as PC?

What's wrong with the controls? I'm playing on PC, and other than taking a bit to find out how to adjust mouse look speed, I haven't had any issues playing with keyboard and mouse.

Performance and stability is great for me, too, but I have a pretty powerful PC.

Wiseblood

OK, how in the fuck am I supposed to ghost Delilah?
I made sure to stealthily pick off all her imposters with my crossbow but as soon as the real one appears she immediately detects me.

EDIT: Found the solution on Youtube.
Don't bother with her decoys. She's hanging out on the tall slab of black rock above the portal. Climb up there and choke her out.

Top Bottom