• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Jb

OK, how in the fuck am I supposed to ghost Delilah?
I made sure to stealthily pick off all her imposters with my crossbow but as soon as the real one appears she immediately detects me.
She shouldn't. I was able to sneak behind her and choke her out. Couldn't figure out how to take care of her non lethally though :/

Zocano

No powers mode basically makes this game the true Thief sequel that we never got doesn't it?

Not exactly, Thief is a master piece, i doubt Dishonored 2 will accomplish that level (i doubt it A LOT) but at least we have a game with an old school smell that a lot of gamers were claiming.

For a comparison, at the moment, Dishonored 2 is to Thief what Doom 2016 is to the original Doom, not exactly the same thing, probably not at the same level, but an amazing game after all.

Y'all should play Styx: Master of Shadows.

The love-letter-to Thief came out last year already.

Best stealth game level design I've ever seen in the past three generations. I thought Dishonored was it when that came out but Styx is a whole other level. It's sublime.

If you're save scumming to get ghosting and getting frustrated at alerts then I don't know what to tell you. It's not supposed to be effortlessly easy to ghost through the game. The level, AI, encounter, and game system design are built specifically to encourage involved play, which can include alerts, baiting, retreating, and adapting to situations. I feel strongly that the point of these games is to accept when a mission doesn't work out quite as you intended, even if it's just triggering an alert, and making the best of the situation. Getting frustrated at the stealth, getting caught, and refusing to adapt in preference of ghosting thus leveraging repeated save scumming is more just forcing yourself to have a frustrating time.

I wholeheartedly agree...

Unfortunately, I have no self control and will save scum when available. I've been slowly and steadily weeding it out and living with what happens but sometimes unfamiliarity with the system and boundaries will just make me want to reload.

I sorta wish there was a no-save mode or something just so it can be taken out of my hands. Have checkpoints at very defined and safe spots but otherwise it'll just reload at the start of the level or said checkpoint.

bunkitz

Are we not allowed to knock out civilians? Used to be able to in the first game, but I can't seem to here, which is really annoying when I'm trying to sneak around.

Also, for some reason I can't lock onto Runes and Bonecharms anymore? That happen to anybody else?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are we not allowed to knock out civilians? Used to be able to in the first game, but I can't seem to here, which is really annoying when I'm trying to sneak around.

You can. Just do what you'd normally do. Nothing has changed.

Nessus

Just started in Karnaca.

Is there any way to turn off the "rune or bone charm is nearby, equip heart" notification?

I've disabled every single notification in the Gameplay Hud section in Options and I'm still getting it. I'm finding it so annoying that I just had to quit playing.

So far the game really isn't making a great impression (first it was the awful immersion-breaking dialogue) and I have no idea why they thought they needed to change things that weren't broken in the first game.

I really want to love this game (and again, the gameplay itself, the controls, the graphics are all great) and really get into it, but stupid decisions like seemingly being unable to disable those notifications are really sapping my enjoyment.

Just started in Karnaca.

Is there any way to turn off the "rune or bone charm is nearby, equip heart" notification?

I've disabled every single notification in the Gameplay Hud section in Options and I'm still getting it. I'm finding it so annoying that I just had to quit playing.

So far the game really isn't making a great impression (first it was the awful immersion-breaking dialogue) and I have no idea why they thought they needed to change things that weren't broken in the first game.

I really want to love this game (and again, the gameplay itself, the controls, the graphics are all great) and really get into it, but stupid decisions like seemingly being unable to disable those notifications are really sapping my enjoyment.

I felt the same at first too, but just stick with it. The game gets better with every chapter. The gameplay really opens up in a way that feels fresh for Dishonored.

The first Dishonored really grabbed me immediately with it's writing and story. This game didn't unfortunately. It gets better though.

Nessus

I felt the same at first too, but just stick with it. The game gets better with every chapter. The gameplay really opens up in a way that feels fresh for Dishonored.

Do the bone charm notifications ever go away? Are they like just in the first Karnaca level?

Do the bone charm notifications ever go away? Are they like just in the first Karnaca level?

The charm notifications pop up for me still. Not sure if you can disable them =/

They don't bother me much, but I can understand why it would.

edit: looking into it now as I would like that too.

Nessus

Crap. If that's the case I might actually wait for someone to release a mod to fix it.

Like, it bothers me that much. It feels like it's ruining the game for me because 1. it's essentially a super obvious "win button" as far as hunting bone charms/runes is concerned, and 2. I just find it unbelievably annoying receiving these notifications constantly, every single time I walk past a spot that makes the heart beat.

I mean it gave me pause when it did that for the very first one right by the whale at the start of the level, but I shrugged and figured "Oh it's just part of the tutorial, they're just gonna get you started with the first one and they're using the whale to attract players to this spot."

Damn, I really hope there's a way to disable it.

Crap. If that's the case I might actually wait for someone to release a mod to fix it.

Like, it bothers me that much. It feels like it's ruining the game for me because 1. it's essentially a super obvious "win button" as far as hunting bone charms/runes is concerned, and 2. I just find it unbelievably annoying receiving these notifications constantly, every single time I walk past a spot that makes the heart beat.

I mean it gave me pause when it did that for the very first one right by the whale at the start of the level, but I shrugged and figured "Oh it's just part of the tutorial, they're just gonna get you started with the first one and they're using the whale to attract players to this spot."

Damn, I really hope there's a way to disable it.

Figured it out. Turn off "Information Messages." Just tested it and it works great. If you are near a rune/bone charm you will still hear the heart make an audible thump but with no pop up message.

Glad you mentioned it because I prefer it off for sure.

Nessus

Figured it out. Turn off "Information Messages." Just tested it and it works great. If you are near a rune/bone charm you will still hear the heart make an audible thump but with no pop up message.

Glad you mentioned it because I prefer it off for sure.

THANK YOU!

Arcane is insane, like actually fucking insane. You might not ever notice this unless you play a no supernatural power run, but almost every high point can be reached without blink or reach. They designed it that way. The amount of work that must of taken, compared to the number of people that will likely do that run is pretty ridiculous to think about.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I finished my first ever 'Psycho' run of D1 last night (I've only ever ghosted it sans powers) and my copy of D2 arrived today. All is well.

Only question is: How am I going to tackle my first run?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on OG PS4, and downloaded the game digitally.

I almost finished mission 2 last night. Today I get an error message when I try to use any of my save files or auto-save files:
"An error has occurred in the following application (CE-34878-0) Dishonored 2"

I tried everything I could think of...quitting out of the app and re-starting, trying another app then dishonored, re-starting my ps4, and i keep getting the error message. My system software is updated and game is updated. All of my other games work fine.

Should I just start a new game? I'm afraid the same thing could happen again. Or should I delete the game and re-download? Please help

I'm getting this exact same thing with Dishonored 1 on PS4. Started a new game and it still breaks every time I try loading a save. Did you manage to get this sorted?

I'm on the last DLC in my playthrough of D1 before D2. I've been doing it low chaos but I've kinda accidentally managed to ghost/clean hands most of it as well. I'm on the second mission of Brigmore Witches now so almost done. I've really enjoyed the DLC missions. I did the Overseer favor when breaking out Lizzie Stride or whoever and I found at a certain point I could just walk on out carrying her lol. I walked right past a guard too, it was pretty funny. Excited to see the jump when I boot up Dishonored 2 though.

One question, how easy is it to maintain low chaos while also using your powers and items? I find the biggest problem with D1 is that they gave you all these amazing powers but really and truly using them is punished story-wise. Maybe that's the point though.

Jb

One question, how easy is it to maintain low chaos while also using your powers and items? I find the biggest problem with D1 is that they gave you all these amazing powers but really and truly using them is punished story-wise. Maybe that's the point though.

Playing as Emily I found most of her powers well suited for a non lethal playthrough: shadow walk to quickly cross undetected a room filled with enemies, domino and mesmerize for the obvious reasons... It's clear that Arkane was aware of this problem in the first game and tried to come up with powers that would fit both playstyles.

Playing as Emily I found most of her powers well suited for a non lethal playthrough: shadow walk to quickly cross undetected a room filled with enemies, domino and mesmerize for the obvious reasons... It's clear that Arkane was aware of this problem in the first game and tried to come up with powers that would fit both playstyles.

Great to hear, can't wait. Low chaos is fun but sometimes you just wanna break bad. Can't wait to try both styles.

I do wish the non-lethal drop was a bit more forgiving. I have messed that up so many times that I generally just find another way, even though it is awesome and saves a sleep dart. I think I did it today and wound up doing a roll when I hit the ground, which I didn't realize was a thing.

Agreed. I fail more often than not which shouldn't be the case after 9 hours of playing.

Vinter

Currently at mission 4. Really feeling the game now. This is game is just so gorgeous. And those clockwork soldiers are such cool enemies. Decided to go guns blazing without powers as my first playthrough. Having a blast so far!

OK, how in the fuck am I supposed to ghost Delilah?
I made sure to stealthily pick off all her imposters with my crossbow but as soon as the real one appears she immediately detects me.

EDIT: Found the solution on Youtube.
Don't bother with her decoys. She's hanging out on the tall slab of black rock above the portal. Climb up there and choke her out.

i did it another way.

i choked out the clones until they detect me.. jumping out the picture and going back in resets them to the non detection status. rinse and repeat. it even works for her

It basically determines the ending right? Nothing wrong with that imo.

Like the cutscenes? Yeah, I think. I'm halfway through the final mission on my 2nd run. The mission itself is exactly the same though. I was hoping it'd just be the same as Dishonored, but with more things, not less.

That was, personally, one of my most memorable things about the first game. Replaying it a second time, and seeing how drastically the world changed when you didn't give a fuck. The effects in this are equivalent to a Telltale game.

Like the cutscenes? Yeah, I think. I'm halfway through the final mission on my 2nd run. The mission itself is exactly the same though. I was hoping it'd just be the same as Dishonored, but with more things, not less.

That was, personally, one of my most memorable things about the first game. Replaying it a second time, and seeing how drastically the world changed when you didn't give a fuck. The effects in this are equivalent to a Telltale game.
Well I can't say for sure because I haven't finished it twice, but I really wouldn't care if it stays the same.

So much care has been put into level design and world building already.

Honestly apart from there being more of the Weepers if you went High Chaos I don't remember D1 changing THAT much from a gameplay perspective. I guess the difference is in D2 they've actually done a really good job of having the level design accommodate High Chaos/Low Chaos/No Powers and providing multiple paths, while the original D1 didn't reaaally do this (imo)...so yeah....

Edit: Actually now I remember the last mission being fairly different.

Teggy

Not really feeling mission 5. I hate these stupid Ghost Dogs.

You don't have to engage the dogs.
You can use an alternate method to draw out the target without the dogs, and you can shoot the little statues to prevent the other dogs from popping up at all. There is also an alternate place to get the info that you are sent to her office for, although I stumbled on that by accident.

shiba5

Not really feeling mission 5. I hate these stupid Ghost Dogs.

You can bypass nearly everyone in the building, take out the target without killing her, and
everyone left falls unconscious and the dogs disappear. Now you have complete run of the place.

Anung

Un Rama
You can bypass nearly everyone in the building, take out the target without killing her, and
everyone left falls unconscious and the dogs disappear. Now you have complete run of the place.

I just figured this out :D Time to loot the place.

Does anyone know if
talking to the statue counts as an alert??

Also is anyone having a graphical glitch of white lines on doors? (I'm on a pro)

I was running a no-kill playthorugh, then fucked up big time.

I knocked a guy out, then dropped him into a wooden door that shattered and subsequently killed him.

Noticed too late, and all my saves have a "1 Kill".

Was on Chapter 2 though, so maybe I'll start over tonight.

Such a great game!!!

shiba5

I was going for no-kill with Emily, but then I discovered how fun Domino + Far Reach pull was. Flinging 3-4 guards into the air and over a cliff is amazing. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

shiba5

I was running a no-kill playthorugh, then fucked up big time.

I knocked a guy out, then dropped him into a wooden door that shattered and subsequently killed him.

Noticed too late, and all my saves have a "1 Kill".

Was on Chapter 2 though, so maybe I'll start over tonight.

Such a great game!!!

Don't drop anyone near a bloodfly (they get infected and die) or anywhere close to a whale oil tank (for some reason it makes the tank explode).

I was going for no-kill with Emily, but then I discovered how fun Domino + Far Reach pull was. Flinging 3-4 guards into the air and over a cliff is amazing. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Doing a no-kill, no-alert, no-power playthrough is going to be rough.

But the subsequent playthrough with a killing, powered Corvo should be amusing.

Whelp. I started using the heart more. Turns out 3 quarters of the civies are serial killers. Guess it's up to me to bring justice to Karnaca. The heart judges, I execute. No time for a Jury.

The Flash

Banned
Whelp. I started using the heart more. Turns out 3 quarters of the civies are serial killers. Guess it's up to me to bring justice to Karnaca. The heart judges, I execute. No time for a Jury.

tumblr_o4hw45LdF21th5mu2o1_400.gif

Johndoey

Banned
Enjoying the game a bit more now, maybe got a better handle on the systems. I feel like the catalyst for revenge plot is way weaker than the first game so I don't really give a hoot about any of the targets. Like I just don't care one way or the other about Jindosh or Delilah.

seph1roth

LOL

Playing this game without powers is completely different to Dishonored 1, way different...

Mission 2 spoilers

On the secondary mission about stealing a corpse, never figured out how to cross the streets without alerting all the civilians, i can't knock 'em out 1 by 1 because there's so many people out there that the alert is impossible to avoid, using blink in this area would be perfect to cross the streets without alerting the NPCs but again, i'm playing without powers...

So...i said fuck it, threw the corpse from the roof of the bulding from a parallel street, in an area without any NPC...then go down, cross the street without anybody suspecting, i picked up the corpse again and i gave it to the woman on the basement

10/10

Wanderer5

Beat it with clean hands, and what an amazing ride this was. The run took me close to 17 hours, which I really explored most of the levels.

Akane Studios did it again, and I think despite some quirks (mostly technical), this was better than the first.

Top Bottom