• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Lijik

Bug isn't 100% occurring as in not everyone experience it and it's only tied to NPC's within Observatory. If you have save in early stages of that part of M05 you are good to go and try workaround.

The two witches in the side alley can affect it too. I wound up rounding up every witch in the stage to figure out who were being killed by the bug, and they were the ones that counted

Carm

The two witches in the side alley can affect it too. I wound up rounding up every witch in the stage to figure out who were being killed by the bug, and they were the ones that counted

What side alley? You mean the two you run into before getting near the conservatory?

If these two are the witches you are talking about, I brought them both to the machine, unconscious, then dead, after pulling the lever, this is a possble repeatable bug.

Guess I'm done with the game to see if they bother patching it.

Looking through my saves, besides the save I do at the beginning of a level, all my saves are inside the conservatory. Earliest save among those has 3 witches and 1 dog conscious/still alive, still ended up 2 credited kills.

The PS4 controls feel awful.

Really? Why?

So should I play the first one before this one?

Yes, and the two great DLC expansions.

jesus, how well hidden is stuff. Not even exaggerating, I spent 4 hours going around level 2 exploring and am still missing 500 some coins. Really trying to get the achievement for 60% of all loot, shits ridiculous

I'm surprised by how much I miss every level. I feel like I'm thorough, then I see my states and I've missed 3000 coins.

Ill Saint

Honestly surprised by the complaints regarding the controls on PS4. Feels just like the first game to me. How is it different or worse?

Wiseblood

Did Blink in the first game keep your momentum going when you did it in the middle of the jump? I don't believe it did but I may be remembering wrong.

Wanderer5

So I decided to go back to my save slot of Chapter 7 to
knock out Stilton, and wow this is so good lol. Also got the master key achievement while I was at it.

Zesh

jesus, how well hidden is stuff. Not even exaggerating, I spent 4 hours going around level 2 exploring and am still missing 500 some coins. Really trying to get the achievement for 60% of all loot, shits ridiculous
I got the achievement in mission 8, and I missed about 1000 coins per level. Felt I was pretty thorough too; a bunch of stuff seems to be very well hidden.

hughesta

Banned
PS4 here, had a lot of trouble moving and aiming in the tutorial and prologue. Felt excessively sluggish. I've adjusted to it though and I'm in love with the game, an improvement on the first in every way. Just finished Mission 3 and wow, the amount of stuff packed into these levels in mindboggling. Nonethal so far and having a blast.

Lijik

What side alley? You mean the two you run into before getting near the conservatory?

If these two are the witches you are talking about, I brought them both to the machine, unconscious, then dead, after pulling the lever, this is a possble repeatable bug.

Guess I'm done with the game to see if they bother patching it.

Looking through my saves, besides the save I do at the beginning of a level, all my saves are inside the conservatory. Earliest save among those has 3 witches and 1 dog conscious/still alive, still ended up 2 credited kills.

Probably. Theyre the ones in the little area right after the locked door to the side of the first wall of light that leads into behind the bar.

GmK

Neo Member
Nonlethal action results in deaths of random witches. It's meant to knock them out, but in some cases when too many of them are already knocked out game just kills them and gives credit to player. Workaround I found helped several people to bypass this bug.

I wonder where I even can report this officially.

So that's what ruined my no kills run... oh damn, well, too late now :( That one single unexplainable kill from mission 5 will haunt me...

Lucifon

I don't think it's input lag so much as it is a certain "weight" that follows through from your actions. Either way, it's definitely something that is noticeable.
It's an acceleration issue I believe. When the acceleration kicks in the aim wants to keep accelerating even after you stop the stick. It's as if the value doesn't drop to 0 instantly and instead has a minus value applied so it "slows down" creating a swimmy aim feel with momentum.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Chapter 8/9, So, I shot
"Billie" in the face with a cross bolt. Looted her room key and threw the body overboard after she confessed to killing the mother. That felt so right.

Anyone else feel like the civilians kinda ruin the areas they're in? The freak out if they see you so much as knock over a glass and can see you from yards away. Also they don't react to noises properly.

I'm really not enjoying this. The performance on PS4 (standard) is atrocious, and I'm getting tired of the psychic AI (especially the civilians). Maybe it's because the first real level is in broad daylight, but enemies seem to be spotting me and going on instant alert from all the way across the map. Combined with the swimmy controls and long load and pause times (seriously what is the deal with the laggy menus in this game) I'm getting incredibly frustrated.

Started playing on Hard because I really liked the first game, but I might have to drop it down to power through.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm really not enjoying this. The performance on PS4 (standard) is atrocious, and I'm getting tired of the psychic AI (especially the civilians). Maybe it's because the first real level is in broad daylight, but enemies seem to be spotting me and going on instant alert from all the way across the map. Combined with the swimmy controls and long load and pause times (seriously what is the deal with the laggy menus in this game) I'm getting incredibly frustrated.

Started playing on Hard because I really liked the first game, but I might have to drop it down to power through.

I gave up on my no kill playthrough because of the same reasons. Try setting friction to zero, that helped a bit with the controls for me.

The AI often does random things. The neutral NPCs freak out for no reason resulting in everyone on the map rushing to your location. Enemies nowhere even near you (for example they are outside of the building you are in) will suddenly go on high alert because you exited stealth mode. Are they using gaming headsets and sound whoring? :p

And of course the super human vision. I get what they probably wanted to nerf it after it being OPed in the first game but...they took it to the opposite extreme.

d00d3n

You have to choke some civilians to get a smooth ride taking on the hostiles on that level. There is no penalty for doing that, as far as I know.

The "taking out all enemies" puzzles are generally a bit more difficult compared with Dishonored 1, so I get the frustration. You really have to think about the chain of people watching each other, and select the weakest link, including civilians. Making sounds to draw people out is risky, but sometimes necessary to get everyone as well.

I'm going to play the Dishonored DLC while waiting for some patches I think. Never got around to playing them and they sound rather essential to the story.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm going to play the Dishonored DLC while waiting for some patches I think. Never got around to playing them and they sound rather essential to the story.

Yeah, the antagonist in 2 is also the antagonist in Brigmore Witches.

d00d3n

If you're aiming for stealth, then yes, sneaking by is the best option to avoid them.

I see, thanks!

That is a bummer ... It is so satisfying to go 100% non-lethal takedowns. Leaving active enemies strolling around feels wrong. It is the same mechanics as with the walkers in the last game, though ...

BashNasty

Bummer that you're not enjoying the game. The level design is sublime and deserves to be savored. If the game can draw you in, it'll almost certainly be one of your favorite experiences of the year. That said, though I have nothing but praise for Dishonored 2, I feel that I'm lucky for not only being able to play on PC at a stable 60fps, but also for being the kind of player who doesn't give a rat's ass about stealth. Seems like a lot of problems people have with the game come from it being a bit wonky in its implementation of stealth, but since literally no npcs lived in my playthrough with Emily, I never felt the problem.

My suggestion #1 is to stick with it, Dishonored 2 is one of the best games of the year. Suggestion #2 is to drop the stealth and embrace your inner psycho.

Zocano

Can you tell me more about the level design? I was turned off because all the videos and impressions I saw led me to believe the spaces were closer to a series a linear stealth challenges, rather than a proper Thief/Dishonored-style open-ended environment.

It's actually a lot like Dishonored in that the levels are generally very wide corridors that intertwine and face an abundance of routes and obstacles and options. It's a much more "proper" stealth game than Dishonored which is why I think it's a much more "faithful" or pure love letter to Thief. It's aaaaall about the stealth because you don't have the tools or the power as a small goblin to take on even two guys.

While I think it's somewhat a spoiler the best way to really pitch the level design is that they're
as dense and difficult and still just as traversable and quality levels forwards *and* backwards.

It's kind of a nebulous and ephemeral feeling, but Styx never made me get to my objective, see one small vent that circumvents all the obstacles that was obscured a ways back, and make me "D'oh!". I get that feeling a lot in Dishonored. While that's fine I think it's kinda weak to have very obvious easy routes like that.

Instead, that vent shortcut in Styx is its own winding path through the level that crosses the other multitude of paths and options for traversal. There's never like an easy bee line path, which I think is stronger level design. There are just a dozen+ different options that all have their ups and downs (literally).

To top it off I'd say Styx has just as much, if not more, verticality to its levels.

While Styx doesn't have the breadth of tools, mobility, and finesse that Corvo or Emily have, the game isn't really about that. You're weak relatively but you make due with the few tools you have and the levels give you plenty and plenty and plenty of options to do so.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually a lot like Dishonored in that the levels are generally very wide corridors that intertwine and face an abundance of routes and obstacles and options. It's a much more "proper" stealth game than Dishonored which is why I think it's a much more "faithful" or pure love letter to Thief. It's aaaaall about the stealth because you don't have the tools or the power as a small goblin to take on even two guys.

While I think it's somewhat a spoiler the best way to really pitch the level design is that they're
as dense and difficult and still just as traversable and quality levels forwards *and* backwards.

It's kind of a nebulous and ephemeral feeling, but Styx never made me get to my objective, see one small vent that circumvents all the obstacles that was obscured a ways back, and make me "D'oh!". I get that feeling a lot in Dishonored. While that's fine I think it's kinda weak to have very obvious easy routes like that.

Instead, that vent shortcut in Styx is its own winding path through the level that crosses the other multitude of paths and options for traversal. There's never like an easy bee line path, which I think is stronger level design. There are just a dozen+ different options that all have their ups and downs (literally).

To top it off I'd say Styx has just as much, if not more, verticality to its levels.

While Styx doesn't have the breadth of tools, mobility, and finesse that Corvo or Emily have, the game isn't really about that. You're weak relatively but you make due with the few tools you have and the levels give you plenty and plenty and plenty of options to do so.

Sold.

Bummer that you're not enjoying the game. The level design is sublime and deserves to be savored. If the game can draw you in, it'll almost certainly be one of your favorite experiences of the year. That said, though I have nothing but praise for Dishonored 2, I feel that I'm lucky for not only being able to play on PC at a stable 60fps, but also for being the kind of player who doesn't give a rat's ass about stealth. Seems like a lot of problems people have with the game come from it being a bit wonky in its implementation of stealth, but since literally no npcs lived in my playthrough with Emily, I never felt the problem.

My suggestion #1 is to stick with it, Dishonored 2 is one of the best games of the year. Suggestion #2 is to drop the stealth and embrace your inner psycho.

The original is one of my favorites of last gen, so I intend to stick with it. I played that on PC; I just steered clear of this game's PC release because it sounded like console was the focus this time around what with all the performance reports.

And yeah, I will probably drop the stealth-only playthrough at some point. I actually think the original Dishonored's """bad""" ending is actually the only narratively satisfying ending, so I probably need to get over myself and just play the game naturally and indulge in action if it seems like the most appropriate response. I just have a hard time doing that in games that treat lethal playthroughs as """bad""". Everything about this game screams at you that playing nonlethal is the correct way to do things, which was my major gripe about the original (even if, ironically, I thought the negative ending was better).

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is still the only game to get this dichotomy right. You aren't punished or judged by the game's internal morality system for having to go loud, it's simply part of your toolbox.

Also, yeah, I'll agree with the folks recommending Styx for stealth fans here. That was a great PS+ surprise. It's not exactly high production value, but it's a well-designed stealth game and it has a lot of charm. It feels like a hidden gem bargain bin PC game or something.

Good analysis. Styx was such a genuine surprise for me. Yes it has the trademark jank you would expect from a Focus Home title but it's one of the best pure stealth titles of the last few years. I'm really excited for Shards of Darkness in Q1 2017.

Stoze

I see, thanks!

That is a bummer ... It is so satisfying to go 100% non-lethal takedowns. Leaving active enemies strolling around feels wrong. It is the same mechanics as with the walkers in the last game, though ...

You can shoot their heads off with a crossbow bolt and then jump assassinate them, I think you won't be alerted that way but I could be wrong. If you make sure to knock out the humans first they shouldn't accidentally kill them if they are rewired/headless.

I don't really get the hate for clockwork soldiers, they have a ton of weaknesses and are extremely versatile enemies to mess around with. They also give you an opportunity to go nuts with lethal weapons and explosives as a low chaos player which is fun.

Logsi

The PS4 controls feel awful.

I really hope this gets fixed as it's killing my enjoyment. I came from Dishonored on PC to this and my worry was controls. Not sure how you're supposed to be transversing the environment efficiently with this controls.

Dishonored was a joy to blink around the maps.

Top Bottom