• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Stoze

Guess we won't be seeing a ton of videos from him for this game like for the last one.

feelsbadman.jpg

Kind of weird, I have a 1080 and it ran at 60+ fps on ultra.

I mean watching the video it's clearly running higher than 30fps so I'm not exactly sure what he's getting at. The performance sucking is probably amplified ten fold for him though considering what he's used to/needs, unfortunately.

As for the other things he mentions, those may be problems for someone who has an absurd amount of hours in the first game and wants to play it the same way, but they're really just typical design changes that come with nature of it being a different game. I don't know why he would expect them to get fixed at all unless the dude has inside info on development. We may not have those goofy crouch dodges anymore, but we have crazy new stuff like Domino and upgraded Far Reach instead.

Satch

Banned
lol, i used my Far Reach in front of meagan and she goes "What? Ah... I understand now."

im finding so many little things on my second playthrough that tie stuff together now that im just stopping to smell the roses

also after doing the addermire mission i was checking Emily's diary and she mentioned Callista, the woman from the Hound Pits Pub that takes care of Emily once you rescue her. Callista became her governess, and then Emily mentions that sometime ago, Callista left Dunwall to travel the world by boat, and stopped writing to Emily a few months after leaving.
BibleThump.png

steven28

Finished this the other night and i think it's the best game i have played this year.It's also up there with my games of the generation so far (the others being Bloodborne,uncharted 4,witcher 3,rise of the tomb raider and the evil within).The only average part of the game was the story (apart from a small twist which i thought was cool) and missions 1 and 9,everything else was excellent.I really hope they release some expansions like they did with the first game as i would definitely buy them.

Just realized there's an option to fade the HUD when there's no action. Suddenly I'm realizing, despite some still frustrating performance issues, how incredibly beautiful this game is.

ubiblu

Is it just the first mission that runs like shit on PS4 Pro (after update), or is it just me? Game couldn't even hold 30fps. Honestly don't want to play more if it's like this all the way through.

bunkitz

Finished A Crack in the Slab. A little sad that I'm just two missions away from beating the game, but also excited because this means I can start my second playthrough as either Corvo or High Chaos Emily. Definitely going for Corvo, though, but I'm not sure if I should play High or Low...

Pretty cool to know that we can change the present in a fairly big way by knocking Stilton out. I was surprised and utterly confused when I realized that this maid was in the present and not the past. Although... it seems to me that outside of Stilton and his manor, and the Dust District, not much has changed? Would be pretty disappointing if that really is the case.

If you go all in with the bonecharm tree, it's still useful even if you have shitty bonecharms because you can dismantle them to get raw whale bones to make Runes, or use the raw bones you've already picked up in the environment.

By the end of the game if you dismantle all or most of the charms you're not using along with whatever raw bones you've found, you can make a profit on the amount of runes gained from that skill tree. It is a hefty initial investment to get the rune crafting power though.
Oh shit, I did not realize that. Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely be investing in that then. Got lots of bonecharms I wouldn't mind dismantling.

Nice Glixel review below.

http://www.glixel.com/reviews/dishonored-2-a-triumph-of-worldbuilding-and-storytelling-w450883

To help wash away the bad taste of Sterling's drivel
Yeah, good review.

The reviewer seemed to overlook the fact that there are many new non-lethal options, though, as many others seem to do. I don't think it's fair to ask for the non-lethal abilities and gadgets to be as varied and "rewarding" as the lethal options, though, since that's part of what makes each separate and unique. Taking out your enemies lethally will definitely prove to be faster and allow you to play with your powers and tools more, of course. It's the "easy route," in a way. The non-lethal approach is slower and more calculated, but it still has a ton of options that are very satisfying. I went through the entire Dust District without killing a single person, and it was damn satisfying.

Jessamine seemed like a pretty good empress to me, though, based on the notes I've read and things I've heard people talk about in the first game.

StealthGamerBR put up his first Dishonored 2 video. It's more of a tech test/proof of concept than anything but it's still entertaining.

https://youtu.be/wKF5Rs1A8w8

Fucking goals, man... ; - ;

No spoilers, but after finishing this game (low chaos) I have to admit that I think the story was just an excuse plot for a sequel. Story wise this game was a massive disappointment and it's kind of crushing to my wife and I since the first game is one of our favorites.

spoilers:
The whole freaking story was a retelling of Daud's DLC, but through Emily's eyes. Honestly it would have been better off without the DLC existing. Hell, you even trap her in a painting AGAIN. Not to mention that silly face touch inexplicably reversing stone Corvo. The Outsider being connected to Delilah came outta left field and didn't really go anywhere besides her being immortal. It all feels totally forced and wacky in a bad way. Feels like Arkane was too afraid to tell a new story and this one is the inferior retreading of the same plot elements that the first did so well. Meh! =(

Satch

Banned
holy shit, i didnt notice the first time through that after you leave the clockwork mansion and go back to the city,
there are witches all over the place

fucking spooky when i heard them talking

SkylineRKR

Replaying with Corvo now and my experience makes it really easy this time. First level was hard as balls but now its ridiculously easy to power through. I used a completely different approach and had to subdue only a few guards to the boat (went via a dive from the pipe this time).

I put friction to 0 and sensitivity to 50 and it seems to play better.

Social

I've played about 8 hours and overall I find the game to be really boring. It's such a repeat of the first and this time I was aware of its repetitive nature a lot faster. I don't think I can finish this. :(

Nothing about the story or world around it seems interesting.

Reedirect

Up to like half of Chapter 6 now. Except for some bullshit with achieving Ghost status, that I'm pretty sure I had on earlier missions, but it still counted some discovered bodies and even detections that definitely didn't happen, I really, really like it overall. I said "fuck it" on ghosting it eventually, since there is no benefit to it and I'm not having as much fun while attempting it.

That's basically the only problem I'm having. I keep reloading sections, which always brings the experience down a bit and assassinations don't feel as satisfying.

If there ever is a Dishonored 3, please find a way of upgrading your powers without the need to hunt for Runes in every level. It's boring and the pacing takes a huge hit from it. I know you want me to explore your beautifully designed levels, but this is just tedious. Side quests, loot or mission benefits are good enough reasons to keep exploring.

Glad I decided to play the DLC before diving back in. Brigmore Witches is amazing and rather essential.

I don't plan on ghosting in Dishonored 2, at least not on my first run. Often it's too frustrating. Half of the fun in this game comes from improvising when you're in a sticky situation.

Jesus, mission 4 was a total clusterfuck. FUCK the clockwork soldiers en FUCK Kirin Jindosh.

The concept was very cool at first, but the
getting to Sokolov, the laboratory and capturing Jindosh
without getting spotted was impossible. I can't in a million years fathom how anyone could ghost this in a non-power playthrough.

Mansion was beautiful though, and the concept of the moving rooms absolutely genius. Also loved the Jindosh-voiced notes the Clockwork Soldiers make, and Jindosh's snarky comments through the intercom while I was sneaking around, reminded me of Arkham Asylum.

Super late reply and you've probably already figured it out by now, but
once you talk to Jindosh from across the door at the start of the level and deal with the two clockwork soldiers, go up to the wall of light and unload all of your lethal ammunition into it. After you throw 20 rounds of any combination of stuff at it, the whale oil depletes and you can walk straight into his laboratory

Then
once you're in the laboratory, you can shoot a crossbow bolt into the middle of the lower floor and ride the elevator up. For me Jindosh walked over to the elevator, so I just sleep dart'd him and the rest was easy from there

Stoze

Not too fond of the rune hunting either. Half the level is just collecting if you want to upgrade your powers at least.

Guesstimating based off a quick look at guides, but there's about as many runes in the sequel as in the first, and a chunk of them are sold at shops this time around. edit: I derped, I was comparing from the count in D1 including DLCs. There's quite a bit.

For the bonecharms if you're getting burnt out there I suggest skipping them because outside of a few they really don't make a big difference. They're pulled randomly from a pool just like the first.

NeatoKuni

Super late reply and you've probably already figured it out by now, but
once you talk to Jindosh from across the door at the start of the level and deal with the two clockwork soldiers, go up to the wall of light and unload all of your lethal ammunition into it. After you throw 20 rounds of any combination of stuff at it, the whale oil depletes and you can walk straight into his laboratory

Then
once you're in the laboratory, you can shoot a crossbow bolt into the middle of the lower floor and ride the elevator up. For me Jindosh walked over to the elevator, so I just sleep dart'd him and the rest was easy from there

That's insane, I didn't know you could do that. I'm on mission 7 right now doing a ghost/clean hands/no powers playthrough and this was one of the hardest missions for that. But it was satisfying in the end.

The games almost done so I'm taking a break for the day. I can't wait to finally use powers in my high chaos run.

Should I wait for new game + to be patched in or just go for it?

Started my lethal run with Emily, and oh man is killing in this game satisfying, haha. The animations are brutal. I can't wait to see what her powers can do; I just got to the first mission in Serkonos.

Stoze

That's insane, I didn't know you could do that. I'm on mission 7 right now doing a ghost/clean hands/no powers playthrough and this was one of the hardest missions for that. But it was satisfying in the end.

The games almost done so I'm taking a break for the day. I can't wait to finally use powers in my high chaos run.

Should I wait for new game + to be patched in or just go for it?

A new game+ for a no powers run sounds like it wouldn't do much, but then again ng+ doesn't always just mean your previous game carried over. I'd just go for it if you feel like it. If you're on PC though I'd wait a few days before another playthrough because a performance patch is coming sometime next week apparently.

I just played through The Knife of Dunwall for the first time, a surprising amount of stuff in there ties into the sequel. I didn't really like the levels too much outside of the part where you assassinate the barrister. It also clearly wasn't as well designed around not using objective markers which was annoying.

SkylineRKR

So trophies are bugged?

I got Low Chaos trophy but the only level I finished with low chaos was the last one. I got the low chaos ending too, but really, all other missions were finished in high chaos. I don't have Empire in Chaos because of this.

Started my lethal run with Emily, and oh man is killing in this game satisfying, haha. The animations are brutal. I can't wait to see what her powers can do; I just got to the first mission in Serkonos.

I beat Emily's campaign last week and now in mission 3 with Corvo. I think I liked Emily better. I also have issues with blink versus far reach. I didn't fuck up far reach nearly as much.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
So trophies are bugged?

I got Low Chaos trophy but the only level I finished with low chaos was the last one. I got the low chaos ending too, but really, all other missions were finished in high chaos. I don't have Empire in Chaos because of this.

I beat Emily's campaign last week and now in mission 3 with Corvo. I think I liked Emily better. I also have issues with blink versus far reach. I didn't fuck up far reach nearly as much.

Assuming it works like the last game, it's cumulative- it's not just for the mission, but overall. You may have just been merciful enough the last few missions to take you down to Low Chaos for the final one.

SkylineRKR

Assuming it works like the last game, it's cumulative- it's not just for the mission, but overall. You may have just been merciful enough the last few missions to take you down to Low Chaos for the final one.

Suppose so.

In that case its not that bad. I really killed a lot of enemies over the course of the game. But you might be right, my game improved after the half way point and I got detected less and less. Did all bosses via the optional methods if that helps.

I might load a save of mission 8 and go on a rampage there (chaos was still high on that save though).

Stoze

Suppose so.

In that case its not that bad. I really killed a lot of enemies over the course of the game. But you might be right, my game improved after the half way point and I got detected less and less. Did all bosses via the optional methods if that helps.

I might load a save of mission 8 and go on a rampage there (chaos was still high on that save though).
Yeah, killing the target instead of doing alternate methods is probably the biggest source of chaos. Killing civilians and setting off alarms are good ways to get chaos as well, so I bet you have a decent chance of reversing it with mission 8.

edit: Actually if it only said low chaos for the final mission but not for any of the others, pretty sure you'd only have to replay that one again. In fact...final boss spoiler:
If you didn't kill Delilah, doing that alone could put you into high chaos.

For whatever reason, I accidental killed two overseers who died when I tried to R1 stealth kill them. I didn't reload. Is this enough to fuck up my low chaos?

Truant

This game is so fucking good. My only complaint is how they changed the clockwork soldiers. The original design was much creepier. The in-game explanation for this was funny, though.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, killing the target instead of doing alternate methods is probably the biggest source of chaos. Killing civilians and setting off alarms are good ways to get chaos as well, so I bet you have a decent chance of reversing it with mission 8.

edit: Actually if it only said low chaos for the final mission but not for any of the others, pretty sure you'd only have to replay that one again. In fact...final boss spoiler:
If you didn't kill Delilah, doing that alone could put you into high chaos.

Tried and didn't work. Probably have to replay the whole mission and leaving a trail of blood.

Anung

Un Rama
I have a question about mission 7 (A Crack in the Slab)
What are the timeline variations? On my Corvo run I stopped the guy from going nuts and Megan got her arm back. For this Emily run I don't know what changes if I kill or ignore the guy.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
There's something wrong then. The result screen tells me also 2/3 shrines and watching videos there's just two.

I had a similar glitch with a later mission- I don't know what causes it, it's only happened once in two playthroughs. It just inflates the mission results, doesn't seem to matter outside it.

JakR

Finished this the other night and i think it's the best game i have played this year.It's also up there with my games of the generation so far (the others being Bloodborne,uncharted 4,witcher 3,rise of the tomb raider and the evil within).The only average part of the game was the story (apart from a small twist which i thought was cool) and missions 1 and 9,everything else was excellent.I really hope they release some expansions like they did with the first game as i would definitely buy them.

Mission 9 I adored, because I played the first one to death but almost a year ago. I remembered
the secret safety room in Dunwall tower from the first game and it leads directly to the new one
and seeing the place again warmed my sentimental heart. :)

This game is so fucking good. My only complaint is how they changed the clockwork soldiers. The original design was much creepier. The in-game explanation for this was funny, though.

I initially felt that way but the new design grew on me, I think that as the game developed and they implemented the woodwork motif into everything, they probably wanted to update the clockwork design to match that aesthetic. Glad the old design made an appearance in the display cases though.

Liamc723

Approaching the end of the game now and I can't say I've been particularly impressed at any point. It's been very ho-hum, and mission 7 wasn't that exciting either. Titanfall 2 did it far better.

Anung

Un Rama
I initially felt that way but the new design grew on me, I think that as the game developed and they implemented the woodwork motif into everything, they probably wanted to update the clockwork design to match that aesthetic. Glad the old design made an appearance in the display cases though.

Because the porcelain models were on display cases I was expecting the wooden ones to be mass produced and the white one's to be his personal guard. I mean they made the models so they could have used them.

Jharp

Any word on New Game + specifics for switching characters? Will it give you the bonecharm/rune number equivalent and allow you to spec to your liking?

I'm about to finish my ghost/no-kill Emily run and was going to do a Punisher mode Corvo run, but if I can keep all my shit and still switch characters in NG+ when the update comes next month, I'll just wait for that and try a no-powers run in the mean time.

Timeaisis

Mission 2 says I finished with 10/11 runes??? I thought there were only 7 on this mission? Anyone know what's going on here? Nothing was showing up in my heart.

Jharp

Mission 2 says I finished with 10/11 runes??? I thought there were only 7 on this mission? Anyone know what's going on here? Nothing was showing up in my heart.

I got a similar issue, only it said 10/12. Still not sure what the hell went wrong:

Nor do I know why it says 2/3 Outsider Shrines, when that level only has 1, and the game up to that point has only had 2.

Top Bottom