• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Satch

Banned
dr hypatia
BibleThump.png

Timeaisis

I got a similar issue, only it said 10/12. Still not sure what the hell went wrong:

Nor do I know why it says 2/3 Outsider Shrines, when that level only has 1, and the game up to that point has only had 2.

Super weird. Mine also said I got 8/10 bone charms even though I know I got all of them (8/8). I'm on my second playthrough for whatever that is worth.

Anyway, sorry it's affecting you too, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Razmos

Mission 7 has pissed me off big time. I wanted to save Aramis but didn't realize I had an incredibly short window of opportunity to do so, since he disappeared from the courtyard very quickly.

And one of the trophies straight up didn't trigger when I knocked down the balcony to get into the butterfly room. For fucks sake.

I think going from Titanfall 2 to this is what's amplifying my perception of the input lag. But I just can't handle it. I realize that might seem petty or whatever but it's constantly bugging me while playing the game.

I really hate this kind of shit in first person games.

Anung

Un Rama
I think going from Titanfall 2 to this is what's amplifying my perception of the input lag. But I just can't handle it. I realize that might seem petty or whatever but it's constantly bugging me while playing the game.

Have you turned friction down and sensitivity up in the options?

Jharp

Mission 7 has pissed me off big time. I wanted to save Aramis but didn't realize I had an incredibly short window of opportunity to do so, since he disappeared from the courtyard very quickly.

And one of the trophies straight up didn't trigger when I knocked down the balcony to get into the butterfly room. For fucks sake.

TIL You can save Aramis. Guess I'll have to save that for the next playthrough.

It really is a shame they don't let you replay missions to fix mistakes for ghost and no-kill runs, and achievements. Especially considering the first game had that option, and this game has that logbook in the Dreadful Wale that is the perfect framing device for replaying missions.

SomTervo

Right so the non-lethal option for the Clockwork Mansion target is some fucking horrific shit I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Does it impact the story if you don't
put him in the machine and just leave him KO'd
?

Right so the non-lethal option for the Clockwork Mansion target is some fucking horrific shit I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Does it impact the story if you don't
put him in the machine and just leave him KO'd
?

If you don't, he's just going to wake up tomorrow from the KO and keep helping out the Big Bad. He has to be removed from play one way or another.

And considering he helped murder a whole bunch of people and put a psychopath in charge of an Empire, it's not like he's an innocent bystander here.

Ledhead

Post game spoilers. Is it ever explained why Meagan
has her arm back after changing the timeline with Stilton
?

She went to check on Stilton in the original timeline and got into a fight with the grand guard, resulting in those injuries. In the changed timeline, Stilton never disappeared and as such Meagan never tried to investigate/fought the guard.

Azzanadra

Man, what's it with people randomly dying?

I was in the fourth mission and about to take the car to the mansion, but I checked my stats... and it showed that three people were dead. I swear I just checked my stats 20 minutes prior, and everything was dandy so I searched the area to find out what could have happened, and lo and behold three howlers I dominoed with a sleep dart suddenly died.

The kicker? I had already collected all the runes/charms in the area and the last save I had access to in which I have a 0 kill count was back in the second level. FFS.

Moral of the story: check you stats every 20 minutes and MAKE SOME GODDAMN HARD SAVES EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.

bunkitz

I get why people would find Rune hunting tedious, but I personally don't mind it since I really like to take my time exploring the place. If I just went straight for my objective, it'll all go too fast. And, exploring the stages allows me to find more guards and whatnot to "fight."

I would like it if they gave us new ways to power up our abilities and traits, though, but the runes work into the lore already, so it would be kind of weird if there was suddenly some other way... Of course, I'm sure they could think of something sensible.

Mission 6, I suppose
dumping the overseer and the howler guy into the mines
is the right thing to do for low chaos.
Wait,
you can go to the mines???

I have a question about mission 7 (A Crack in the Slab)
What are the timeline variations? On my Corvo run I stopped the guy from going nuts and Megan got her arm back. For this Emily run I don't know what changes if I kill or ignore the guy.
Yo, what?
Maegan got her arm back? Shit. Didn't notice that. Then again, I think she was standing sideways with her arms folded when I talked to her at the end of the mission.

No Love

Banned

Same thing happened to me. Turn off Friction in the controls. Makes it way smoother.

So I just played through all of Dishonored DE and the two story DLCs...

What settings should I put the sensitivity and friction nonsense to so my experience is close to the same in terms of gameplay?

Elios83

She went to check on Stilton in the original timeline and got into a fight with the grand guard, resulting in those injuries. In the changed timeline, Stilton never disappeared and as such Meagan never tried to investigate/fought the guard.

Where is that explained?
I finished the game and I was wondering about that myself but I didn't find the answer in the game in my playthrough.
I even thought that it would be explained in a DLC :D

sertopico

I was in the fourth mission and about to take the car to the mansion, but I checked my stats... and it showed that three people were dead. I swear I just checked my stats 20 minutes prior, and everything was dandy so I searched the area to find out what could have happened, and lo and behold three howlers I dominoed with a sleep dart suddenly died.

The kicker? I had already collected all the runes/charms in the area and the last save I had access to in which I have a 0 kill count was back in the second level. FFS.

Moral of the story: check you stats every 20 minutes and MAKE SOME GODDAMN HARD SAVES EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.
Maybe they were allergic to the sleeping darts.
Anyway I had the same issue, that's why I always try to choke them and put them in some hidden place nobody will ever reach. Be also careful about bloodflies, they could attack the guards you put to sleep, that happened to me in the first mission.

Also,
when I choked Paolo and his guards he turned into rats and by killing those rats, it got counted as a kill. There is also an achievement about killing him three times.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also,
when I choked Paolo and his guards he turned into rats and by killing those rats, it got counted as a kill. There is also an achievement about killing him three times.

At the end of the level or on the in-game stats screen? I've not finished the level yet but my stats screen still shows zero kills.

Lijik

Where is that explained?
I finished the game and I was wondering about that myself but I didn't find the answer in the game in my playthrough.
I even thought that it would be explained in a DLC :D
I think when you meet with her in the Dust District she brings it up, or maybe in her audiograph on the wale before the stage

sertopico

At the end of the level or on the in-game stats screen? I've not finished the level yet but my stats screen still shows zero kills.

At the end of the level. It's the only thing I attacked in the whole playthrough, apart from the
mechanic soldiers
, which don't count as a kill. Otherwise, it might be a bug or something else.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Rented this and git to Mission 8 as Emily. Damn good game, can't wait to own it. So many things I missed and I can still play as another character! Havent invested much in powers.

I do hope they ditch the Voud engine in the future. I wonder how much was spent optimizing the time travel mission.

Had the same problem until I started to blink their unconscious bodies to spots that blood flies and rats can't touch.

Finished low-chaos a couple of days ago, cross posting my bullet-review from the review thread...

+ God tier level design - just phenomenal, so many options and everything just felt 'right'.
+ Great pacing and length (barring a couple of things - see nitpicks)
+ Nice change playing as Emily - Domino is ace.
+ No tech issues for me - and game looks great and ran great. Maybe i'm lucky
+ A Crack in the Slab was a great riff on Time travel, really excellent
+ Much improved / more challenging AI for stealth - was very easy in the original.
+ Huge amount of lore / worldbuilding

- Intro setup as a bit rushed and felt heavy handed
- Narrative was a bit too close to the original / kind of a retread in many ways story wise, but it still worked OK for me
- Denouement was a bit light / rushed as well.

My negatives are very 'nitpicky' - the story was perfectly servicable, but it is a valid criticism, would have been interesting to see Arkane being more ambitious with the story elements.

But in the end gameplay trumps story every time, and they nailed that side so much.

Started a high-chaos playthrough with Corvo and it's a great contrast to be able to use the gadgets and not care about the consequences - love Corvo's 'traitorous dog' comments every now and then after a kill.

Just in Karnaca and looking forward to the bloodfly epidemic that is about to ensue!

Will very likely go straight back into a Ghost playthrough after this run as well!

Definitely my GOTY - only Inside comes close, but D2 has so much replay value...

Roussow

Man, I know there are total workarounds and it's not that big a deal -- but it just feels weird to play a stealth game in 2016 without a 'marking'/'tagging enemy' function (Unless I missed the option).

I'm very methodically and slowly progressing through the game and I like it,but I feel it was rushed a bit out of the door by Bethesda. And once again (as it happened with the first one) there is a multiplicity of little things that makes me feel that this game is not delivering to the highest standard that this team seems capable of reaching.

- the initial narrative is very weak.
the aunt comes out of nowhere and it's a revenge story even faster than the first one

- So far the antagonists are not as memorable as the first game.
Also, I remembered Sokolov being quite a jerk. Here's totally a good guy, at least until now.

- the hunt for runes and bonecharm can be fun but it feels like busywork most of the time. Also following the runes usually makes you approach the location of the side-stories out of orders. You go after a rune and you find the solution of a side-story along the way before that opportunity is not even explained.

- at least with emily combat is not fun, at least until now. I feel very underpowered and it's sometimes frustrating when guards pile on me all of a sudden. I prefer to just die and reload instead of going through my elixirs.

- the game looks and runs worse than the first one on PS3. I don't mind my console game being a little simplistic from an IQ standpoint, but here I see shadows flickering in and out, white dots randomly shimmering in front of me, geometry and texture popping in at very close distance...
And some partsthe game looks downright ugly, like the foliage and trees. Considering how it looks it should run at 60fps locked.

d00d3n

Non-lethal stealth players seem to be freaking out about some kind of time constraints in mission 7. Can someone post a short description of what I have to do to not mess up the time sensitive part? (as spoiler free as possible) I am just in the beginning of the level, so I just entered some kind of mansion.

Wait,
you can go to the mines???

No, but one of the non-lethal options is to dump the head overseer and head howler into boxes to be sent to the mines for hard labor so the city can rebuild without them for a while.
Seemed like the thing a low chaos empress would do.

Man, I know there are total workarounds and it's not that big a deal -- but it just feels weird to play a stealth game in 2016 without a 'marking'/'tagging enemy' function (Unless I missed the option).

It's has a lot of "throwback" features with their stealth mechanics. There is no tagging enemies. But I recommend having good speakers or headphones. The sound design in this game is really great with the enemies. It reminds me so much of the old Thief games. When enemies are nearby you hear their footsteps and them talking and mumbling to themselves. The sound is also boosted when looking through keyholes before entering rooms. I'm actually glad there isn't a tagging feature.

When in doubt I guess you could use dark vision. But I wouldn't waste the runes unlocking that ability.

bunkitz

No, but one of the non-lethal options is to dump the head overseer and head howler into boxes to be sent to the mines for hard labor so the city can rebuild without them for a while.
Seemed like the thing a low chaos empress would do.

Huh. That option never showed for me. Would have loved to have gone with that instead of
well, just knocking them both out and leaving them there.

JerkShep

Mission 9
I trapped Delilah in the painting. Was there another way to resolve the conflict non-lethally? In the mission objectives it said something about "finding another way to deal with delilah" at the end

Huh. That option never showed for me. Would have loved to have gone with that instead of
well, just knocking them both out and leaving them there.

Maybe a bug? Although I can't remember what triggered the option. May have been something I read in the game because I remember finding something written that detailed the plans.

JerkShep

I might actually prefer it to the first game if they fix a couple of annoying bugs. The highs in Dishonored were higher but the last stretch of missions (7-9) was really bad despite some cool moments in the Flooded District. 7 went on too long and 8-9 were really short and anticlimatic.

In Dishonored 2 the first two missions are kind of underwhelming but it ramps up quickly after that and I loved 4 and the 6-7-8 stretch, with 3 and 5 being still good. The final mission is not incredible by any means but it's still way better than the final mission in the first one. Levels feel very meaty in Dishonored 2, there's a lot of stealth fun to be had even before reaching the main location. The Dreadful Wale segments needed a bit more going on though. The change of scenery is good but sometimes Serkonos feels a bit too much like Dunwall, I'd hoped for a more drastic change in environments.

The writing took a hit, it definitely feels dumbed down, the first one didn't have a very good plot but writing and performances were still strong. In the sequel they abandoned every pretense of subtlety (dumb example: the first game heavily implied Emily was Corvo's daughter but without actually straight up telling you, while in the sequel in the first 10 minutes it's repeated obnoxiously for a thousand time to get it across). Everything seems a bit more cartoony and simple. I still like the attenion to details though and the hidden stuff you can find using the Heart or reading documents.

For a potential sequel, my hopes are that they do away with the "conspirators" plot which feels stale by now, improved writing at least on the level of the first game and a complete change in locations. Be it snowy Tyvia or tropical Pandyssia, I want something drastic.

0racle

Im about to open my copy.

I have never played a dishonored game before. What character should I choose? do we choose a character? swap on the fly? what?

Truant

I was originally skeptical to Karnaca, thinking that the more central/northern European style of Dunwall was more suited for this game's art style.

I'm now in mission 6, and I think I like Karnaca more. The city just feels carved into the seaside cliffs, ancient and full of mystery. It also has this weird 1920's LA vibe to it, in a way I can't quite describe.

Black Storm

Neo Member
Just finished the Fifth mission and I am having a lot of fun, great level design, much better Al, very beautiful atmosphere and art design, very good music, and good story(lore), the sequel is more challenging and more rewarding, with a great amount of reply value, I don't see myself getting bored by this game, and it's easily one of the best games this generation and one of the best stealth games ever, absolutely a must for every gamer

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Heh, I got the 60% loot trophy during Mission 7. I am thorough as fuck.

SlickVic

Is there a site that did an analysis of what exactly the Pro patch does in terms of frame rate and resolution? Usually check Digital Foundry for this info but surprisingly they haven't covered this game at all. Guessing they're waiting for the PC performance issues to be sorted out before they look at the game in-depth.

Anybody have any crashing issues on PS4? I'm at the end of the clockwork mansion mission and it crashes every time I try to leave the mansion at the end of the level. I already deleted and re-installed the game.

sertopico

Game is updating on Steam, 6.6 GB. Am I the only one?

edit: looks like it's the 1.2 beta patch, that's what I read on the steam community forum.

So I played through the first mission last night and had my fist "oh shit."

I opened a door and
a guard inside freaked out and yelled "who opened that door!" It's a simple addition but it's a nice layer to the stealth complexity.

Azzanadra

I might actually prefer it to the first game if they fix a couple of annoying bugs. The highs in Dishonored were higher but the last stretch of missions (7-9) was really bad despite some cool moments in the Flooded District. 7 went on too long and 8-9 were really short and anticlimatic.

In Dishonored 2 the first two missions are kind of underwhelming but it ramps up quickly after that and I loved 4 and the 6-7-8 stretch, with 3 and 5 being still good. The final mission is not incredible by any means but it's still way better than the final mission in the first one. Levels feel very meaty in Dishonored 2, there's a lot of stealth fun to be had even before reaching the main location. The Dreadful Wale segments needed a bit more going on though. The change of scenery is good but sometimes Serkonos feels a bit too much like Dunwall, I'd hoped for a more drastic change in environments.

The writing took a hit, it definitely feels dumbed down, the first one didn't have a very good plot but writing and performances were still strong. In the sequel they abandoned every pretense of subtlety (dumb example: the first game heavily implied Emily was Corvo's daughter but without actually straight up telling you, while in the sequel in the first 10 minutes it's repeated obnoxiously for a thousand time to get it across). Everything seems a bit more cartoony and simple. I still like the attenion to details though and the hidden stuff you can find using the Heart or reading documents.

For a potential sequel, my hopes are that they do away with the "conspirators" plot which feels stale by now, improved writing at least on the level of the first game and a complete change in locations. Be it snowy Tyvia or tropical Pandyssia, I want something drastic.

It's funny you mention the highest highs, I was just thinking we didn't really get an equivalent of Lady Boyle's last party this time around, I just love infiltration missions, especially ones involving a party or a ball of some sort.

shiba5

Letting the starving dogs out of the room in Addermire does not screw up a clean hands run as I discovered. They killed several guards. Heh.

Letting the starving dogs out of the room in Addermire does not screw up a clean hands run as I discovered. They killed several guards. Heh.
Good to know. Will do that on my second playthrough.

I finished that mission this weekend, but I never got into
that locked room at the top floor, with the tripwire trap on the stairs in front of it. Where do you get the key?

BTW - this game is just what I wanted from a sequel, and it looks great. Am not running into input lag like people have mentioned in the PS4 Pro threads, though I do play full stealth.

And last bit, 2016 might have been an utter shit year for the real world, but its been fucking amazing for games, this one included.

Top Bottom