• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hope they patch that Strong Arms bug. I definitely crafted a bonecharm with 4 Strong Arms on it and it was so much slower for knocking guards out.

Good to know. Will do that on my second playthrough.

I finished that mission this weekend, but I never got into
that locked room at the top floor, with the tripwire trap on the stairs in front of it. Where do you get the key?
That was Hamilton's room, right? It's in a box on a table directly next to him where he's tied up by the soldiers and being interrogated.

shiba5

Good to know. Will do that on my second playthrough.

I finished that mission this weekend, but I never got into
that locked room at the top floor, with the tripwire trap on the stairs in front of it. Where do you get the key?

BTW - this game is just what I wanted from a sequel, and it looks great. Am not running into input lag like people have mentioned in the PS4 Pro threads, though I do play full stealth.

And last bit, 2016 might have been an utter shit year for the real world, but its been fucking amazing for games, this one included.

There's a guy named Hamilton being held in a room with some guards outside. 2nd or 3rd floor - sorry can't remember which. It's his room at the very top of the tower. You get the key from him.

d00d3n

Non-lethal stealth players seem to be freaking out about some kind of time constraints in mission 7. Can someone post a short description of what I have to do to not mess up the time sensitive part? (as spoiler free as possible) I am just in the beginning of the level, so I just entered some kind of mansion.

Anyone? Is the timer in that level running as soon as you begin? Or can I take my time exploring the early rooms?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone? Is the timer in that level running as soon as you begin? Or can I take my time exploring the early rooms?
I'm unaware of what's being talked about. I was super slow and very thorough, ran into no issues.
People are saying Aramis leaves the courtyard at some point after you enter it, but that didn't seem to happen at all on my playthrough. He just kept pacing back and forth.
If there is some counter, it surely only starts when you enter the courtyard.

d00d3n

I'm unaware of what's being talked about. I was super slow and very thorough, ran into no issues.
People are saying Aramis leaves the courtyard at some point after you enter it, but that didn't seem to happen at all on my playthrough. He just kept pacing back and forth.
[i]If[/i] there is some counter, it surely only starts when you enter the courtyard.

Thanks!

(second mission spoilers below)
That was Hamilton's room, right? It's in a box on a table directly next to him where he's tied up by the soldiers and being interrogated.

There's a guy named Hamilton being held in a room with some guards outside. 2nd or 3rd floor - sorry can't remember which. It's his room at the very top of the tower. You get the key from him.
Ahh OK, I know the spot. Thanks.

Truant

I'm not seeing the story complaints myself. Some of the writing is pretty dull, but the actual main plot is fine. It's actually easy to follow, and there are fewer characters to keep track of. Maybe it's because I'm actually reading all the books and stuff, but I felt the plot here was a lot easier to follow than D1. I also like the bigger focus on the occult stuff and the witches.

There's some great writing in some of the missions, especially Crack in the Slab:

Slowly uncovering that Stilton was still a working class guy, and hated what he had become, was great. They tell this in many ways, but the best part was overhearing some civilian NPC talking about how people usually bought musical instruments to play them, and how she was brought in to tune a totally unused harp. The other NPC responded that Stilton was just keeping up with appearances to please his new elite friends.

Also, props for Durante for making it in the game!

No worry, no spoilers:
I wrote a comment really late at night regarding the ending, but no one responded. Now that it's settled in my mind, was anyone remotely satisfied with the game's story and ending compared to the first game?

Did I miss something? My spoiler-ridden opinions:
-Game's plot is a shameless retreading of Daud's DLC, just told through Emily or Corvo's eyes. You even trap Delilah in yet another painting in the void
-The Outsider's role with Delilah comes out of nowhere and then is never touched on again, which simultaneously removes the mystery of them both and confuses them.
-The game made no attempt to explain how touching Corvo's face suddenly removes him from his stone prison.
-The ending conclusion, at least low chaos, was far less satisfying (Sokolov sails to no where to "go home", Billy and Daud reunite even though we never see Daud, and Emily and Corvo focus harder on ruling better, no mention of Wymen as Emily's lover)
-The character development from the first game seems squandered. There is basically no mention of Piero. Emily inexplicably doesn't give a crap about ruling properly until she sees Karnaca's woes. Corvo inexplicably seems just as ignorant of Serkonos as Emily is.
-The level design didn't seem as intricate or interesting as the first game. I could be wrong though.

I could go on, but this game didn't feel half as satisfying or interesting as the first game...I loved playing it though.

Azzanadra

No worry, no spoilers:
I wrote a comment really late at night regarding the ending, but no one responded. Now that it's settled in my mind, was anyone remotely satisfied with the game's story and ending compared to the first game?

-Game's plot is a shameless retreading of Daud's DLC, just told through Emily or Corvo's eyes. You even trap Delilah in yet another painting in the void
-The Outsider's role with Delilah comes out of nowhere and then is never touched on again, which simultaneously removes the mystery of them both and confuses them.
-The game made no attempt to explain how touching Corvo's face suddenly removes him from his stone prison.
-The ending conclusion, at least low chaos, was far less satisfying (Sokolov sails to no where to "go home", Billy and Daud reunite even though we never see Daud, and Emily and Corvo focus harder on ruling better, no mention of Wymen as Emily's lover)
-The character development from the first game seems squandered. There is basically no mention of Piero. Emily inexplicably doesn't give a crap about ruling properly until she sees Karnaca's woes. Corvo inexplicably seems just as ignorant of Serkonos as Emily is.
-The level design didn't seem as intricate or interesting as the first game. I could be wrong though.

I could go on, but this game didn't feel half as satisfying or interesting as the first game...I loved playing it though.

I agree, Dishonoured has a great world and some interesting lore that is squandered time and time again, its really a damn shame. They missed an opportunity to do something great with the story, though the individual stories contained within the missions themselves are interesting enough.

Lack of mission restarts really sucks given how glitchy npc deaths are as a non lethal character. Forgot to make a hard save and lost two hours of progress because someone died.......somewhere despite not using any tools.

I agree, Dishonoured has a great world and some interesting lore that is squandered time and time again, its really a damn shame. They missed an opportunity to do something great with the story, though the individual stories contained within the missions themselves are interesting enough.

Thank you. I am glad at least one person felt the same.

For anyone interested in talking about spoilers I created a spoiler thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318538

JerkShep

It's funny you mention the highest highs, I was just thinking we didn't really get an equivalent of Lady Boyle's last party this time around, I just love infiltration missions, especially ones involving a party or a ball of some sort.

Yeah there's nothing similar to that mission, which is a shame. The closer you get in Dishonored 2 is
The Grand Palace with the double, it's cool that it's randomized but it's nowhere near the complexity of the party in 1, even if from a pure stealth gameplay prospective it's a good mission

No worry, no spoilers:

It's more a retread of the first one in general, sprinkled with elements that worked in Daud's DLC. I know that Delilah is a major antagonist in both and
her plan is still related to a painting
but in Daud's DLC there was very little Delilah all things considered, the very last mission is very close in tone with Dishonored 2 though, I agree, but the others are almost unrelated (gang wars, the butcher strikes, the magistrate, prison escape, defending the flooded district). I agree with most of your other issues and everything can be sort of explained by the lack of subtlety in the writing, which helped the first one immensely.

I disagree about the level design though, gameplay was fantastic, if I had to pick favorite levels Dishonored 1 might win but for me Dishonored 2 is much more consistent in quality.

Lijik

I thought Sokolov was sailing back to Tyvia where he's from? I cant remember if they straight up say Tyvia in the ending, or if its something he mentions in dialogue earlier. Personally I think the worst part about the nonlethal low chaos ending is Delilah doesnt get her comeuppance. Sure shes trapped in a painting, but she thinks she's changed the world and the Outsider even mentions her rad life sailing across the world. Its such a bizarre note to end on.

In a similar vein to not elaborating the link between Delilah and the Outsider, I was disappointed by how Delilah's stated backstory is kept vague and theres nothing to point to whether shes lying or not unless I missed something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At the end of the level. It's the only thing I attacked in the whole playthrough, apart from the
mechanic soldiers
, which don't count as a kill. Otherwise, it might be a bug or something else.

Uh-oh. Fingers crossed, then!

I thought Sokolov was sailing back to Tyvia where he's from? I cant remember if they straight up say Tyvia in the ending, or if its something he mentions in dialogue earlier. Personally I think the worst part about the nonlethal low chaos ending is Delilah doesnt get her comeuppance. Sure shes trapped in a painting, but she thinks she's changed the world and the Outsider even mentions her rad life sailing across the world. Its such a bizarre note to end on.

In a similar vein to not elaborating the link between Delilah and the Outsider, I was disappointed by how Delilah's stated backstory is kept vague and theres nothing to point to whether shes lying or not unless I missed something.

if she was lying about her background then it makes her desire for the throne really dumb.

I hate how Delilah could find you and reach out to you in the void, yet you continually catch her off guard and even sneak into her palace. Delilah was a decent villain in the DLC, but I see no reason to include her in the sequel.

The plot issues keep me from caring about more playthroughs.

The plot issues keep me from caring about more playthroughs
Don't be silly! It's great fun learning the levels and going in with vastly different approaches and powers! That was always the most fun about Dishonored. And thank God this time they added more "X to skip" sections for those 2nd, 3rd and 18th playthroughs.

Just finished. Great game, in the top 3 of best games this year for sure. Karnaca is absolutely beautiful... The world building in these games is fantastic. Such a thick atmosphere and sense of place almost akin to the Bioshock series (as people have of course mentioned). I played as Emily, and took a deadly stealth approach. I didn't experience any crashes, but there were definitely some audio issues and occasional AI issues where enemies would get caught on something an not be able to move.

The level design is fantastic... Most of them seemed bigger than the first game, though I may be misremembering. I spent over 45 hours scouring every corner. Path's might not necessarily be laid out in a realistic way, but it certainly made for a damn fun game. The powers were very cool and a nice contrast to Corvo's. I did miss killing every living soul with an army of rats though :p.

The final boss was awful of course. Like, almost Naughty Dog level bad. I just don't get why some of these games even try to have boss fights. The mechanics simply don't make for a good boss fight. Also, like the first game, the game's opening and closing mission's left something to be desired compared to the meat of the game.
I did like having to go against both the witches and the clockwork soldiers simultaneously, but the reuse of Dunwall Tower from the first game felt cheap.

Other than that though the game was fantastic, and I will surely replay it sometime down the line.

So I am at the first mission now and the game so far doesn't click with me.
It's like my brain is having trouble processing what's on the screen: the small UI, the font and the graphics all seem to make my sight 'blurry'.

Anyone else has this?

So I am at the first mission now and the game so far doesn't click with me.
It's like my brain is having trouble processing what's on the screen: the small UI, the font and the graphics all seem to make my sight 'blurry'.

Anyone else has this?

This happens to me sometimes when a game is in motion. Not with this game though. As for the game not clicking, much like the first game, the first mission is pretty linear and bland. Wait till you get to mess around in the sandbox with your powers over the next several missions.

JaseC

Bah, I screwed up Ghost in the Cogs as I didn't realise that you couldn't give any hint as to your presence -- I just assumed the requirement was staying out of sight -- and stuffed up the process of grabbing my previous set of saves from Steam Cloud (I had a quick save at the very beginning of the mansion). Oh well, it seems "killing" Paolo counts as a kill, anyway, so odds are I would have needed to restart the mission upon completing it.

Edit: Oh, great, now the game is only recognising one save, part way through the mansion. No choice but to press forward, I suppose.

I'm having a bug where even if I save far away from guards, when I reload, the instant the game loads, one far away guard will seem to hear me and walk over to look around where I am. Anyone else seen this?

I'm torn between being annoyed and being pleased that they're just walking right into secluded spots to be knocked out.

JaseC

I'm having a bug where even if I save far away from guards, when I reload, the instant the game loads, one far away guard will seem to hear me and walk over to look around where I am. Anyone else seen this?

Yeah, I encountered that yesterday, in Upper Aventa.

one thing that has bugged me ever since playing it. I had no idea from the first game aside from nuanced conversations that
Corvo is Emily's father
where was this revealed in D1?

I was shareplaying it with a friend watching and they didn't remember it being referenced either.

Don't be silly! It's great fun learning the levels and going in with vastly different approaches and powers! That was always the most fun about Dishonored. And thank God this time they added more "X to skip" sections for those 2nd, 3rd and 18th playthroughs.

I can't help it. I loved multiple playthroughs in the first game because I loved how my own personal decisions changed things in a meaningful and satisfying way. In this game I could care less.

Lijik

one thing that has bugged me ever since playing it. I had no idea from the first game aside from nuanced conversations that
Corvo is Emily's father

Its not outright said he's her daughter, but its brought up in a few places that Jessamine and Corvo were in a secret relationship. I think the most direct is Pendleton uses it to taunt you in the high chaos version of the final level. Theres a hidden area in the dunwall tower stage with Jessamine's diary that also goes into their relationship.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Corvo is Emily's father

I was shareplaying it with a friend watching and they didn't remember it being referenced either.

Its not outright said he's her daughter, but its brought up in a few places that Jessamine and Corvo were in a secret relationship. I think the most direct is Pendleton uses it to taunt you in the high chaos version of the final level. Theres a hidden area in the dunwall tower stage with Jessamine's diary that also goes into their relationship.

There is this.

SomTervo

You have to do one or the other I believe.

Bummer but understandable.

If you don't, he's just going to wake up tomorrow from the KO and keep helping out the Big Bad. He has to be removed from play one way or another.

And considering he helped murder a whole bunch of people and put a psychopath in charge of an Empire, it's not like he's an innocent bystander here.

True, I just think straight-up killing the guy would be considerably less fucked up than
making him a vegetable with just enough capacity to know he has become a vegetable but used to be a genius.
Man, that's fucked up even writing it.

Surely it would be just as 'high chaos' either way, too. Pretty arbitrary.

Oh well, adore the game. Just... my feels

d00d3n

Bah, I screwed up Ghost in the Cogs as I didn't realise that you couldn't give any hint as to your presence -- I just assumed the requirement was staying out of sight -- and stuffed up the process of grabbing my previous set of saves from Steam Cloud (I had a quick save at the very beginning of the mansion). Oh well, it seems "killing" Paolo counts as a kill, anyway, so odds are I would have needed to restart the mission upon completing it.

Edit: Oh, great, now the game is only recognising one save, part way through the mansion. No choice but to press forward, I suppose.

You can actually give one hint of your presence by using a switch in the house once. Jindosh will taunt a supposed intruder for 30 seconds and then change his mind and assume that it was a switch malfunction. I did it like this and still got the "ghost in the cogs" objective. Useful for a no powers run to be able to get behind the walls without blinking/far reaching as well.

JaseC

You can actually give one hint of your presence by using a switch in the house once. Jindosh will taunt a supposed intruder for 30 seconds and then change his mind and assume that it was a switch malfunction. I did it like this and still got the "ghost in the cogs" objective. Useful for a no powers run to be able to get behind the walls without blinking/far reaching as well.

Ah. I'm fairly certain I've hit just the one thus far.

d00d3n

Ah. I'm fairly certain I've hit just the one thus far.

Then you should be fine as far as I know. Just don't press any additional switches (including the floor switches near the other objective in the mansion) and don't enter combat with the robots (upgraded stun mines is a great way to take them out without entering combat, though).

usp84

So how can you change the type of ammo for the gun? I got the electrical bullets but can't figure out how to use them

Wanderer5

Didn't notice the 4.3GB patch going on in the background lol. Damn that is huge.

Fixed a bug where sabotaging the Oraculum device would count as 2 kills and prevent getting the "Clean Hands" achievement

Sweet. Thankfully didn't encounter it.

How jarring is the first person view? I kinda wanna buy the first game but watching gameplay with people and things flying at the screen, too the movement looks weird and offputting. I really like MGS, can I do wacky stealth like I can in those games?

Anung

Un Rama
How jarring is the first person view? I kinda wanna buy the first game but watching gameplay with people and things flying at the screen, too the movement looks weird and offputting. I really like MGS, can I do wacky stealth like I can in those games?

Wacky stealth is Dishonored's middle name. You can do all kind of mad shit with the level design and powersets.

SomTervo

Watching gameplay is far from having the joypad in your hands. Things are much clearer and easier to follow when you're playing.

And yeah, the stealth is as realistic and immersive or as wacky and fun as you want it to be. I swap between both depending on how much time I have and my mood.

Just the other day I went from spending 20 minutes carefully traversing one room to chaining traps and throwing bodies to KO goons and powering through the rest of the level. Also kept throwing bombs to attract a pack of dogs and group of guards closer together then they all killed each other. Was awesome.

(PS giant fan of MGSV, Tenchu, Thief, Splinter Cell, etc)

Jharp

WARNING: ANYONE GOING FOR A PURE STEALTH GHOST RUN ON THE FINAL MISSION.

(design spoilers, not story/ending spoilers)

In the third area of the mission, when you're in Dunwall Tower, you'll run into statues of Delilah that you can interact with. They won't "see" you like the statues in the Daud DLC for the first game, but walking up to them and interacting with them will cause a short dialogue to play between Delilah and Emily/Corvo. Doing so will not cause you to get "spotted," however interacting with them (I think it triggers if you talk to just one of them, but I'm not certain) will cause Delilah in the throne to be alert and waiting for you with three ghost hounds. If she is in this state, it appears to be impossible to use the heart on her without getting "spotted." I tried to get around it over a dozen times and could not use the heart while she's sitting in the throne with her ghost hounds WITHOUT it causing me to get spotted, and thus failing the ghost run and denying the achievement. However, if you don't interact with any of these statues, she'll be painting in the throne room and you can walk right up behind her with the heart and use it without getting a "spotted" penalty.

Thankfully I had saved my game in such a way that I could redo the sequence without having to go way back and lose several hours of progress, but I figured this tip might help some people not so fortunate with how they saved their games.

Zesh

I was able to get the Shadow achievement despite
talking to the Delilah statues. IIRC, I used Far Reach to get onto one of the ledges above her, and then used the heart.

Zocano

Thankfully I had saved my game in such a way that I could redo the sequence without having to go way back and lose several hours of progress, but I figured this tip might help some people not so fortunate with how they saved their games.

Like the poster before me, you can use the rafters and chandeliers to get close enough to her to use the heart. However, if you're no powers, I don't think there's a good way to do so.

I do think that's a cool little thing that changes. Didn't know that that triggers that. Cool little detail.

Stoze

Like the poster before me, you can use the rafters and chandeliers to get close enough to her to use the heart. However, if you're no powers, I don't think there's a good way to do so.

I do think that's a cool little thing that changes. Didn't know that that triggers that. Cool little detail.

I think for no powers you could
take Jessamine's secret chamber to get to the safe room, which lets you get behind her/to the side of her without spooking the dogs.

And yeah I didn't know about that either, I thought that was just the way it goes.

Lijik

I was able to get the Shadow achievement despite
talking to the Delilah statues. IIRC, I used Far Reach to get onto one of the ledges above her, and then used the heart.

I did the same, granted I think my game glitched out because
none of the dogs in the roof area reacted to my presence. Only Delilah would if i walked right up to her, or attacked any of the dogs
so I had an easier time

Top Bottom