• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

shiba5

I got the trophy for killing a bunch of people in less than 1.5 seconds by accident. I somehow set off the entire Upper Aventa map and tried running away only to get cornered at the top of a staircase. I panicked and set out a bunch of spring razors. Killed every single guard at once. Body parts everywhere. The game really shines when everything goes wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mean, he looks like crap anyway, but I don't think he was so bruised and bloody in my low chaos run. Half his face is one big bruise right now.

Ah, sorry, I just assumed you were partway through the game for the first time, haha.

d00d3n

How do I avoid being spotted by the last boss (very first phase)?
This is before the painting. I use my heart on her, but she deflects the magic and I am knocked back. Stats show that I have been spotted right after.

sertopico

It might have counted as a kill in your case due to a logic bug. I did think it odd that "killing" Paolo would count as a kill as you can find a document that details a rather gruesome revenge killing perpetrated against him and yet also mentions that it was ill-fated as he reappeared the next day, strongly implying some form of immortality (which is why I always say "killing" ;)).
This. I read that document as well, he does have some magic powers (if you kill/choke him he turns into rats, like the witch in the first Dishonored if I am correct) so, in one way or another he won't die but... As I told there is an achievement about killing him three times, so even if he's immortal or whatever, the game can consider your action as a kill.
There are some weird bugs with deaths.
I basically check stats after every knockout and then save.
For instance: I had zero deaths, I choked out another guard and put him on a pile of other guards. Check stats - 1 death. Wtf? So I check the pile of unconscious guards and they are all snoring away. So I reloaded, choked out the guard again and this time, stuffed him somewhere else. The game thought this was ok.

Another time I thought it was bugged actually turned out to be me firing some bloodfly nests and accidentally cooking an unconscious witch. I also dropped a guard near a bloodfly once and the damn thing buzzed over and made a nest in him causing a death. And I killed a guy dropping him too close to a shelf - that broke and busted in his head.
Yeah, once i killed a key character just by putting him close to a crate which broke and killed him lol. Anyways, maybe if I pile up too many bodied one on the other the one who stays at the top bottom will die because he gets crushed by the others? :D

shiba5

Yeah, once i killed a key character just by putting him close to a crate which broke and killed him lol. Anyways, maybe if I pile up too many bodied one on the other the one who stays at the top bottom will die because he gets crushed by the others? :D

That's what I was thinking. Even though my stack of guards were all still alive, apparently the game thought one of them shouldn't be. I stopped stacking more than 3 guards and didn't have anymore mysterious deaths.

Xiao Hu

How do I avoid being spotted by the last boss (very first phase)?
This is before the painting. I use my heart on her, but she deflects the magic and I am knocked back. Stats show that I have been spotted right after.

Did you go to the chapel in the Tower and made that malfunctioning rune?

d00d3n

Did you go to the chapel in the Tower and made that malfunctioning rune?

Yeah, I did that. Was spotted every time I used the heart. Finally avoided being spotted by luring her away from the throne with a bolt, using time stop to freeze the dogs and using the heart right behind her. After completing the additional steps of the boss fight, I got the shadow and clean hands achievements. Weirdly, the combat tutorial popped during the boss, but I was not spotted according to the stats menu.

shiba5

Yeah, I did that. Was spotted every time I used the heart. Finally avoided being spotted by luring her away from the throne with a bolt, using time stop to freeze the dogs and using the heart right behind her. After completing the additional steps of the boss fight, I got the shadow and clean hands achievements. Weirdly, the combat tutorial popped during the boss, but I was not spotted according to the stats menu.

Oh, you talked to the statues. She not ever aware of your presence if you don't.

Also, there's a super easy way to take her out during the last part:
After you go through the portal, turn right and jump down to the ground. Climb up the rock wall to get above the portal. There's the real Delilah casting a magic spell. Sneak up behind her. She never sees you.

d00d3n

Oh, you talked to the statues. She not ever aware of your presence if you don't.

Also, there's a super easy way to take her out during the last part:
After you go through the portal, turn right and jump down to the ground. Climb up the rock wall to get above the portal. There's the real Delilah casting a magic spell. Sneak up behind her. She never sees you.

Yeah, I talked to the statues earlier in the level. Was a mistake, I guess. To clarify, it should not be possible to avoid being spotted if you talked to the statues (and maybe, did the announcement through the microphone?)? How does it play out when you use the heart on her without having talked to the statues? No counter-attack or being knocked down I guess?

I took her out exactly like in the spoiler tagged part, though.

Hey guys, I've never played the first Dishonored, but am thinking about picking up 2. As it is on sale right now. Should I play the first one first to understand everything or does it not really matter? Thanks!

Anno

Hey guys, I've never played the first Dishonored, but am thinking about picking up 2. As it is on sale right now. Should I play the first one first to understand everything or does it not really matter? Thanks!

The first game and in particular the DLC matters quite a lot if you care about the overarching story and characters. If you're just in it for the gameplay you should be fine, though the first is very good and cheaper still.

shiba5

Yeah, I talked to the statues earlier in the level. Was a mistake, I guess. To clarify, it should not be possible to avoid being spotted if you talked to the statues (and maybe, did the announcement through the microphone?)? How does it play out when you use the heart on her without having talked to the statues? No counter-attack or being knocked down I guess?

I took her out exactly like in the spoiler tagged part, though.

If you don't talk to the statues, she's not on alert and there are no dogs. She's just painting with her back to you. I don't know what happens if you use the microphone and not the statues, but I'll try it next time.

d00d3n

If you don't talk to the statues, she's not on alert and there are no dogs. She's just painting with her back to you. I don't know what happens if you use the microphone and not the statues, but I'll try it next time.

Thanks, interesting!

d00d3n

Were you supposed to get something from collecting all the serial number plates of the clockwork soldiers (other than the achievement for collecting 3)?

daakusedo

There's a man with a letter that comes waiting for a guest in front of the manor at some point.
If I didn't miss something inside, I wouldn't have known.

CHC

The plot is a direct continuation of the first, so you might be a bit lost in that regard. But the plot really takes a backseat to the amazing level design and gameplay, which you can appreciate either way. Kind of no reason not to play the first game, however. It's cheap, it's excellent, and it arguably does a better job of familiarizing you with the world, characters, and playstyle of the series.

shiba5

Were you supposed to get something from collecting all the serial number plates of the clockwork soldiers (other than the achievement for collecting 3)?

Just the three, I think - which is good because there were times I couldn't find the plate at all.

How well does this game and Dishonored Definitive Edition run on a base PS4? Thinking of picking it up since it's on sale and my PC has started to show its age.

shiba5

How well does this game and Dishonored Definitive Edition run on a base PS4? Thinking of picking it up since it's on sale and my PC has started to show its age.

The original didn't get much of a graphical upgrade for the PS4, but it runs fine - as does the new game.
I did turn the friction way down in Dishonored 2 and character movement is much better.

Xevren

Finished up the last of my trophies so the plat is mine. Beaten this game so many times.

Wcr95EN.jpg

Uneventful trophy picture up in. That well funded one was a pain in the ass.

I'm not usually a stealth game person, but this game makes stealth actually fun. I just unlocked the "Silence" trophy afters hours of systematically sneaking through a level, totally worth it.

The story is rushed, but the level design at times is Bioshock 1 levels of good.

I played through and finished it (along with the two story DLCs) last week. I didn't notice any problems during my time with it honestly. Seemed to run well, even if the visuals didn't seem to get that much of an uptick.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
To let off some steam last night, I stuck a stun mine on a glass, carried it, and ran up behind guards. Stun Glass has some range on it. Took out a squad of three quite handily. Also doubles as a stun grenade.

I love my Stun Glass.

To let off some steam last night, I stuck a stun mine on a glass, carried it, and ran up behind guards. Stun Glass has some range on it. Took out a squad of three quite handily. Also doubles as a stun grenade.

I love my Stun Glass.

1408.gif

I never thought of using a glass as a portable stun delivery method. This changes everything.

So I just got this game. I haven't played the first Dishonored, and the last/only stealth game I played to any meaningful degree was fucking Tenchu 2. I thus have some dumb newbie questions:

1) What powers should I prioritise unlocking and upgrading? I'm playing Emily and going for a low chaos playthrough

2) How long does it take for a dude I knocked out to wake up? I like taking my time and exploring, but am worried that the dudes I left in the next room will wake up and wreck my shit

3) How liberal is this game in counting your kills? I like knocking dudes out and leaving them in silly places. But say if I left a guy on a window ledge, and by way of physics he slips off, does that count as a kill?

4) How many fools can I ice while still keeping with a low chaos playthrough?

Anno

So I just got this game. I haven't played the first Dishonored, and the last/only stealth game I played to any meaningful degree was fucking Tenchu 2. I thus have some dumb newbie questions:

1) What powers should I prioritise unlocking and upgrading? I'm playing Emily and going for a low chaos playthrough

2) How long does it take for a dude I knocked out to wake up? I like taking my time and exploring, but am worried that the dudes I left in the next room will wake up and wreck my shit

3) How liberal is this game in counting your kills? I like knocking dudes out and leaving them in silly places. But say if I left a guy on a window ledge, and by way of physics he slips off, does that count as a kill?

1. Domino is probably her best skill, so maybe start there. Upgraded agility for double jump and upgraded Far Reach to pull people and items are also very good.

2. They won't

3. That will count. All sorts of weird systems can count against you, so keep an eye on your stats if you're trying to do no-kill.

4. No set number that I know of, but a decent amount. There will be an item you get early on that will let you sort of read the souls of enemies, and those that are more villainous apparently count less towards chaos than those more innocent. In my playthrough I've killed about 5% of guards I've happened across and am still low chaos, I suspect by quite a bit. Just try to avoid killing civilians.

usp84

1) Get the Domino power to knock out 2 or 3 or 4 guards at the same time and if you want to see between walls get that power too.I also liked the ability to reach objects and guards with far reach

2) I don't think they wake up ever

3) Yes that will count as a kill.Also if rats or bloodflies eat a body it will count as a kill so leave them at secure places

4) I killed 2-3 people in every mission mostly by accident and I had the low chaos in the end.I never killed a major character though

Playing ghost w/ powers and am not enjoying this Clockwork Mansion. So many blind corners, restricted hiding spots, and trial and error. Cool idea, but the execution is leaving me hanging. I don't enjoy save-scumming (would prefer not to deal with saves at all), but I find myself forced to do so here.

Playing ghost w/ powers and am not enjoying this Clockwork Mansion. So many blind corners, restricted hiding spots, and trial and error. Cool idea, but the execution is leaving me hanging. I don't enjoy save-scumming (would prefer not to deal with saves at all), but I find myself forced to do so here.
If you figure out the "Silence" run, that mission is easy as shit. I got to Jindosh in about five minutes and got out the exact same way in about another twenty minutes.

Jumping Chief

Neo Member
So I have a question, I just started playing, and was radio silent on this game. I bought it on XBO and my god is it blurry as all hell, which doesn't seem to be a uncommon issue after looking around the internet a bit. So I was seeing if anyone else is having this problem here on gaf? (pardon my laziness on not going through the thread to find my answers.) Also if so, any solutions? (currently re installing to see if that helps.) If no solutions is blurriness a problem on PS4? If it isn't then I may try to get a refund and get it on PS4.

Alienfan

Can we talk about how awesome the heart ability in giving what would otherwise be traditional enemies/NPCs, context and personality. The amount of voice work for a feature most probably won't even use is astonishing, I love the internal debate I have with myself "this person starves his slaves in order to make them work faster, is it my place to interfere" or "this person donates to the poor, seems like a genuinely nice person, so should I go out of my way to avoid them?". This moral ambiguity extends to the end of mission objectives as well (sometimes killing a target is better than letting them live) and the more subtle environmental designs. I stumbled across an overwatcher sleeping,stabbed him without thinking, and proceeded to loot the room only to find a diary explaining he was really an anxious but good person, who slept with a gun under his pillow because he was afraid of the outside world. Made me feel shit in a way I haven't felt since SpecOps The Line

bought D:DE. Its ok, idk why but it feels like im playing fallout 4 with stealth (i know both are bethesda). hoping I learn to love it sooner rather than later. just got blink

daakusedo

Dog's head clipping through door with sight active, game is breaking my stealth ideas...
at least he was still locked up from the bigger room.

Top Bottom