• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Finished my first playthrough, used Emily and on Hard. Not sure yet. It's certainly more expansive than the first game, but it's difficult to adjust to the guards' vastly-improved sightlines and awareness, and playing stealthy nonlethal, Emily's powers didn't do anything for me. Multiple enemies were rarely in a position or a location where I could get close, mark them, knock them out, and then move the bodies without being detected, so Domino wasn't much use. Shadow Walk is handy, but it felt like the only way to ghost certain areas without abusing distractions. I never even used Mesmerize. They were supposed to be improving the nonlethal options, but all of them have stealth-specific downsides that are negligible for lethal/ non-stealth, so why bother?

It'll probably be easier to be positive about the game once the PC version doesn't run so damn poorly.

Lijik

Multiple enemies were rarely in a position or a location where I could get close, mark them, knock them out, and then move the bodies without being detected, so Domino wasn't much use.

Upgrading Domino gets you better range, and the upgrade for far reach that lets you pick up items also lets you pick up corpses which makes cleanup a snap if no one else is immediately around. Cleared out a lot of areas combining the two with sleepdarts or chokes.

Ill Saint

Finished my first playthrough, used Emily and on Hard. Not sure yet. It's certainly more expansive than the first game, but it's difficult to adjust to the guards' vastly-improved sightlines and awareness, and playing stealthy nonlethal, Emily's powers didn't do anything for me. Multiple enemies were rarely in a position or a location where I could get close, mark them, knock them out, and then move the bodies without being detected, so Domino wasn't much use.

Hmm, I'm on my Emily playthrough and finding the opposite true. Domino has been fantastic and makes the game very easy. Haven't had much difficulty finding 3 or 4 guards to knock out together and chuck in a bin or safe corner. A lot of the fun has been scoping out the area, watching the patrols and finding the right moment to strike from above and watch them fall. Very satisfying.

A Crack in the Slab:

KgnUhUU.gif

The level design in this game is second to none. The Clockwork Mansion alone is maybe the most impressively made and engineered level I've seen. Then there's all the other "normal" levels that are just massive and so full of paths and rooms and secrets. Damn it is good.

A-V-B

Really good game. Like, on a game level, it's really good. It's everything you want from a Harvey Smith game, and the levels are almost second to none. (yo yo wuddup dude above me, we used the same words wtf)

Gotta say, though.. wuzzup with the story? It feels like they made the levels first, and came up with characters to fill them out afterwards. For lack of a better word, it's disjointed. Lacks the spark the first game did, and ends with a dull thud. I mean, Dishonored 1's endings weren't exactly Persona 4 levels of epilogue, but they did the job of leaving you satisfied about what you did.
And why'd it basically have to be a higher budget version of the Brigmore Witches ending?

This game's epilogue is almost like... "uh, you took this path? good job? DLC TEASER! THE END!" It's a shorter, less interesting version of the last game's epilogue! Why?

But overall I'm glad Dishonored 2 happened and we got to hang out in its world a little more. I do like its world, and I wish the game used more of it this time around. First game had a great unified atmosphere.

It's kind of unfortunate that I went for that Silence trophy on the Mansion. I really feel like I missed out on most of the interesting level design. I can't wait for them to actually give us a mission selector again.

Really good game. Like, on a game level, it's really good. It's everything you want from a Harvey Smith game, and the levels are almost second to none. (yo yo wuddup dude above me, we used the same words wtf)

Gotta say, though.. wuzzup with the story? It feels like they made the levels first, and came up with characters to fill them out afterwards. For lack of a better word, it's disjointed. Lacks the spark the first game did, and ends with a dull thud. I mean, Dishonored 1's endings weren't exactly Persona 4 levels of epilogue, but they did the job of leaving you satisfied about what you did.
And why'd it basically have to be a higher budget version of the Brigmore Witches ending?

This game's epilogue is almost like... "uh, you took this path? good job? DLC TEASER! THE END!" It's a shorter, less interesting version of the last game's epilogue! Why?

But overall I'm glad Dishonored 2 happened and we got to hang out in its world a little more. I do like its world, and I wish the game used more of it this time around. First game had a great unified atmosphere.

Check out the spoiler thread and continue the discussion if you want. I basically have similar conclusions. The story is garbage and undermines the whole package despite the gameplay enhancements.

It's kind of unfortunate that I went for that Silence trophy on the Mansion. I really feel like I missed out on most of the interesting level design. I can't wait for them to actually give us a mission selector again.

How so? I haven't heard about the Silence trophy. What does it make you miss out on?

A Crack in the Slab:

KgnUhUU.gif

The level design in this game is second to none. The Clockwork Mansion alone is maybe the most impressively made and engineered level I've seen. Then there's all the other "normal" levels that are just massive and so full of paths and rooms and secrets. Damn it is good.
This is what I don't get about people saying 'its just more of the same'. The level design in this game absolutely blows me away and is leagues better than its predecessor (which was already achieving so much).

How so? I haven't heard about the Silence trophy. What does it make you miss out on?
The Silence trophy is given for eliminating Jindosh without him knowing you are in the mansion.

Which would mean pressing no levers, which subsequently means you're breaking into the mansion and bypassing most of it.

I'm impressed the option exists and that they had the idea to put the
"space behind the walls"
in as a traversable shortcut, but I definitely missed out on a lot that I'd like to see again at some point.

A-V-B

Check out the spoiler thread and continue the discussion if you want. I basically have similar conclusions. The story is garbage and undermines the whole package despite the gameplay enhancements.

Okay, I posted in there. Sad to see the thread's a ghost town. Guess no one really wants to talk about the story.

The levels and powers are great but the pure stealth mechanics can feel a bit clumsy, at least on PS4. The game seems really particular about where you have to be standing in order to grab someone to choke them out (if I can pickpocket someone, surely I should be able to grab them before they can react?). The world's verticality is so much fun, I can't imagine playing this game without powers. Seems like the very definition of tedium and frustration.

The levels and powers are great but the pure stealth mechanics can feel a bit clumsy, at least on PS4. The game seems really particular about where you have to be standing in order to grab someone to choke them out (if I can pickpocket someone, surely I should be able to grab them before they can react?). The world's verticality is so much fun, I can't imagine playing this game without powers. Seems like the very definition of tedium and frustration.
The one thing I don't understand is why I can't grab someone and choke them out when they're sitting in a chair.

When I got to
Jindosh
, he was sitting in his desk chair, and the only way to choke him out was to awkwardly move behind him and climb on his chair. Bizarre.

Autofokus

DF: Face-Off

- sub-par PC version
- PS4 Pro > PS4 > Xbox One
- 1080p TV PS4 Pro users get shafted only rendering in 1080p, while connected to a 4K TV the resolution gets bumped up to 1440p (without performance penalties)

To let off some steam last night, I stuck a stun mine on a glass, carried it, and ran up behind guards. Stun Glass has some range on it. Took out a squad of three quite handily. Also doubles as a stun grenade.

I love my Stun Glass.

This just reminds me how easy it is (for me) to fall into relying on the same tactics and end up sabotaging the creative possibilities in the game. Bravo.

d00d3n

Just the three, I think - which is good because there were times I couldn't find the plate at all.

Thanks. It is possible to get plates pretty reliably imo. It usually works to smash with the sword close to the plate until it moves a little and you get the prompt to pick it up.

thenexus6

Beat the game a second time this evening on high chaos with Corvo took me around 8 hours.

(first playthrough was Emily - low chaos - 17 hours)

Will take a break then start it up again using no powers soon!

taoofjord

Is it possible to turn off the "Bonecharm is nearby. Equip the Heart" message?

Anyway, early impressions (Corvo, hard, no crosshair, no objective marker):

Finally started playing now that the performance it much better. Just got to mission 3 and this is already reaching the high bar that Dishonored 1 set. The game is just brilliant. I'm already floored by the level design and the abilitys all seem super fun to use.

My only issue with the game is the quality of the writing and voice acting. Fortunately, it's only the main plot/story stuff that stinks. All the world building, the letters, the side conversations with the Mocs are great so far. And that's super important because it's why I come to these games. A fully fleshed out, immersive world that continues to fascinate and absorb you at every turn. Love it.

Also, holy shit at the graphics. Zoom into Mindy's face in mission 2. So beautifully crafted. And of course the art direction is just as great as ever.

shiba5

Thanks. It is possible to get plates pretty reliably imo. It usually works to smash with the sword close to the plate until it moves a little and you get the prompt to pick it up.

Had a couple of them clip through the floor and unfortunately no amount of smashing stuff helped.

Is it possible to turn off the "Bonecharm is nearby. Equip the Heart" message?

Anyway, early impressions (Corvo, hard, no crosshair, no objective marker):

Finally started playing now that the performance it much better. Just got to mission 3 and this is already reaching the high bar that Dishonored 1 set. The game is just brilliant. I'm already floored by the level design and the abilitys all seem super fun to use.

My only issue with the game is the quality of the writing and voice acting. Fortunately, it's only the main plot/story stuff that stinks. All the world building, the letters, the side conversations with the Mocs are great so far. And that's super important because it's why I come to these games. A fully fleshed out, immersive world that continues to fascinate and absorb you at every turn. Love it.

Also, holy shit at the graphics. Zoom into Mindy's face in mission 2. So beautifully crafted. And of course the art direction is just as great as ever.

To answer your question, you have to turn off Information Message in the gameplay options.

Dantis

Guys, I'm stuck on mission 7, clearly because I'm an idiot.

I got the shard. I went into the past. Where's the actual right way to go? All the doors seem to be locked, and I feel like I've investigated reasonably thoroughly.

shiba5

Guys, I'm stuck on mission 7, clearly because I'm an idiot.

I got the shard. I went into the past. Where's the actual right way to go? All the doors seem to be locked, and I feel like I've investigated reasonably thoroughly.

Are you still in the first room with Stilton?

emrober5

Finished the game earlier today. Played as Emily on a high chaos run. I never played the first one but I did really like this. Karnaca was beautiful and the game performs well on PS4 Pro. I did get the limited edition so I will be playing the first game after a breather.

Crack in the slab was as good as advertised.

I would probably give it an 8/10, but I was probably hurt by not playing the first.

CHC

I also love how they've continued to put in things that allow you to kind of subvert / avoid the obvious "setpieces" of the levels:

- You can just hop on a train for the first level in Dunwall, bypassing the ENTIRE street

- You can avoid
taking the tram in the Clockwork Mansion streets
- You can shoot a skylight and sneak straight into the
inner-workings of the house in Clockwork Mansion, completely bypassing the first dramatic lever pull.

shiba5

Left the room with Stilton. Went into the safe. Been to all other 'obvious' rooms. Everywhere seems to be locked or blocked. I'm definitely missing something, haha.

You have to find your way to the back garden where you go back to the past to get a door code.

SJRB

Gold Member
Mission 5 was just, what the fuck. I think I accidentally beat the objective too early or something?

I sneak into the office and take the lenses. No idea what they're for. Not sure how to deal with Ashworth I decide to check out the Oculum [or whatever it's called]. I get a prompt to put in the lenses - sure, why not. Corvo comments that there's a lever but he has no idea what it does. We'll find out soon enough. Boom - suddenly Ashworth is there, her powers are gone, mission accomplished and ALL witches in tentire level are rendered uncontious.

I just spent the rest of my time running around grabbing loot, the secondary objective and all bone charms and stuff.

Rather anticlimactic, but I see how it's somewhat my own fault haha.

About how big/long to beat is Mission 9? Trying to figure out if I should go for it tonight or save it till I'll be able to hang in for a longer mission.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Going from Emily to Corvo is tough, since Blink is so limited in its verticality.

Sometimes I'm really amazed that despite my thoroughness, I can end a stage and I somehow missed hundreds worth of coins.

When you kill guards with Shadow Kill, does their loot drop when they die or disappear too?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Finally beat it =)

I don't think I liked it more than Dishonored 1... but it was decent. Here are a few of the screenshots I grabbed in the later levels. I love the detail on those clockwork soldiers.

The clockwork soldiers make another appearance after mission 4? Bah. Bah, I say!

sertopico

Mission 5 was just, what the fuck. I think I accidentally beat the objective too early or something?

I sneak into the office and take the lenses. No idea what they're for. Not sure how to deal with Ashworth I decide to check out the Oculum [or whatever it's called]. I get a prompt to put in the lenses - sure, why not. Corvo comments that there's a lever but he has no idea what it does. We'll find out soon enough. Boom - suddenly Ashworth is there, her powers are gone, mission accomplished and ALL witches in tentire level are rendered uncontious.

I just spent the rest of my time running around grabbing loot, the secondary objective and all bone charms and stuff.

Ohhh shit, really? Well, that's a nice touch but I preferred taking them down one by one, that's more challenging. I went to the machine only once I explored the entire level and noticed she could not
be stealth attacked
, by reading some document.

Anyway, if you're playing on PC, did you notice a fps drop when those hounds attack and/or approach to you?

bunkitz

To let off some steam last night, I stuck a stun mine on a glass, carried it, and ran up behind guards. Stun Glass has some range on it. Took out a squad of three quite handily. Also doubles as a stun grenade.

I love my Stun Glass.

Holy shit, that is genius, man. Will keep that in mind when I play the final mission later, and for subsequent playthroughs, of course. Too bad the same can't be done with the Springrazor... Well, it can, but not for multiple uses. Fully upgraded Stun Mines are so damn useful. Placed it in front of a door, made some noise, and all the guards just went to sleep one-by-one. Or, well, by two's sometimes.

StealthgamerBR efficiently ridding Dunwall of people:

https://youtu.be/lFd8-CHwxVQ

Just saw that earlier... Guy was playing all those guards like damn fiddles. He was toying with them.

Finished my first playthrough, used Emily and on Hard. Not sure yet. It's certainly more expansive than the first game, but it's difficult to adjust to the guards' vastly-improved sightlines and awareness, and playing stealthy nonlethal, Emily's powers didn't do anything for me. Multiple enemies were rarely in a position or a location where I could get close, mark them, knock them out, and then move the bodies without being detected, so Domino wasn't much use. Shadow Walk is handy, but it felt like the only way to ghost certain areas without abusing distractions. I never even used Mesmerize. They were supposed to be improving the nonlethal options, but all of them have stealth-specific downsides that are negligible for lethal/ non-stealth, so why bother?

It'll probably be easier to be positive about the game once the PC version doesn't run so damn poorly.

Huh. I played as Emily on a (mostly) non-lethal and (mostly) stealth playthrough, and while I understand the difficulty to adjust to the enemies' vastly-improved sight and awareness, but Domino came in incredibly handy so many times throughout my whole game. All the new non-lethal options have been really great too, especially together with Domino. Find a rooftop, link a bunch of guards, drop and knock out. And shit, I practically abused the slide knock out move when I would get spotted.

Woah, nice. Would love to try that out next time.

I don't like looking up guides much when I'm playing, so it's a shame that I can't remember where that office is, haha.

Not as anticlimactic, but somewhat similar was my encounter with Ashworth. I was peeking through her window and eavesdropping when I decided to kill her ghost hounds. Got attacked by one, put it down, then when she came out, I just slid and knocked her out. Just like that. She didn't do shit. By that time, I had taken out all her witches already, so I was just exploring the place.

I really love the level designs of both games, how we can zip past huge chunks of a mission and quickly reach our objective and whatnot. It's crazy and really cool, but it's a shame that I'm always meticulous when it comes to Dishonored, so I look through every nook and cranny that I can to find all the loot and notes that I can find. Still, glad to have the option there. It was especially fun how we can ignore Sokolov's entire mansion (is it considered a mansion?) by Blinking to the rooftop and dropping down to kidnap him.

Nessus

Just beat the game as Emily. 27 hours. Less than my total playtime for Mankind Divided, which was 41 hours, but overall I enjoyed this game more (I did however still enjoy MD). I'm also pretty sure I'll replay this once the New Game+ patch is released.

With immersive sims I almost always play naturalistically, like, what would I do if I were in that situation?

So I tend to not kill random guards who are just doing their jobs (unless the heart explicitly tells me they're murderers), but those who are complicit in murder I'm less forgiving. Gang members I'm also not fond of since they terrorize people and tried to lure me into a trap to rob and kill me.

Ever since I saw the first trailer where Emily uses Shadow Walk to close the distance between her and Jindosh, like a vengeful spirit, I've wanted to try it out. Ended up being my favorite power, especially once it's upgraded. The sense of speed and power. Love feeling like some preternatural force cutting a swath through a room full of uncomprehending enemies. And it works well for both lethal and non-lethal I found.

Thought the Clockwork Soldiers were employed far better than the Tallboys were in the first game.

God I love the level design in this series. Most of the locations feel like real buildings. Like
Abele's palace
it just felt like a real place. Logically laid out, I could imagine being there. I love how the apartments all have bedrooms and bathrooms.

To say nothing of Crack In The Slab. You could base an entire game around that concept. I also loved how that level was a completely different take on stealth.

And they strike a near-perfect balance of having valuables and consumables scattered throughout the maps that make it worthwhile to explore every room.

Definitely my favorite game I've played this year.

Really hope there's going to be story DLC of a similar quality and length as the DLC for the first game.

Badgerst3

Ended first mission on high chaos. Was low up to killing the last few guards.

Can I get chaos back down in Mission 2 and onward?

Generally how many guards can be killed before chaos gets high per level?

Ended first mission on high chaos. Was low up to killing the last few guards.

Can I get chaos back down in Mission 2 and onward?

Generally how many guards can be killed before chaos gets high per level?

Yes, you can get back to low chaos (The ending is reflected on your overall chaos you gained throughout your playthrough).

The key tips to lowering your chaos is eliminating your targets non-lethally, trying not to get spotted. Or in case you get spotted, use non-lethal tools at your disposal (Stun mines, combat choke, slide non-lethal assassinate, non-lethal drop attack, etc...)

slackjaw10

Neo Member
Sheeeeeeeit. Looks like I'll have to try the stun glass trick. Currently on my 3rd playthrough; first was with Emily and second with Corvo, now I'm back to Emily. I love Corvo, but it just feels like this is Emily's story. Blink is still the best, though. Can't believe I never played the original until the Definitive Edition came out.

Top Bottom