• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

So Im now really enjoying Dishonored 1. Is non lethal more expansive in 2? sleep darts cost coin and are rare to find, chokes are good but thats all there is for melee.

Anno

So Im now really enjoying Dishonored 1. Is non lethal more expansive in 2? sleep darts cost coin and are rare to find, chokes are good but thats all there is for melee.

Yeah. More non-lethal options was a focus of the combat changes going into DH2. Most (all?) abilities have upgrades that help serve a non-lethal playthrough and you have a lot more options for in-combat knockouts.

CHC

And here's a fun video of a possessed bloodfly with a stun mine attached being flown into guards.

Legit drone warfare

This game is the best

I love how someone has taken the torch of goofy emergent stealth that the MGS series used to hold. There are so many brilliant, yet completely inefficient, strategies to discover - 99% of which most people would never even think to try.

cyba89

This game is a good reminder how wrong first impressions can sometimes be. Wasn't a fan of the opening hours at all but after that mission 3, 4 and 5 (the last one I finished) are just amazing.

Attention to detail in level design is incredible.

Only thing I don't like is how fast the guards sometimes get alerted.
And story is crap of course.

taoofjord

On chapter 4 now and I do not want this brilliant game to end. Any word of story DLC like the first game? As a diehard fan of immersive sims, I'm super nervous we won't get another big budget game in the genre.

Think I'll play through Thief 1 and 2 after finishing this. It's been ages.

roytheone

While I am still enjoying the game, I do feel like the difficulty jump from Dishonored 1, with making void gaze 100x less useful and making guards 100x better at spotting you, makes the game a tad to hard for my taste. I think that right now I am at around 1 quick load for every enemy, and that isn't even exaggerated. An area with about 5 enemies? I will have to quick load at least 5 times :(

sertopico

Once you develop your powers it will be easier, just use some strategy and creativity. Try as many different approaches as you can and it's gonna be fun.

So this is arriving today and I must ask...

Who is suggested I play through first? Or does it not matter?

I'm playing Corvo first for multiple reasons -

- I played Dishonored 1 first and thought it might be fun to hop back into those powers
- I always played non-lethal and thought it might be fun to use those powers for a lethal run

So I'm doing a high-chaos lethal Corvo run first and then I'm going to do a stealth nonlethal Emily run afterward.

Is it recommended to play Dishonored 1 before 2?

I would, yeah. Dishonored is awesome in general and the DLC is even better

Outside of powers, is there any story reason why I should do Emily first?

Personally speaking, the story concerns more about Emily and how far she'll go to get her stolen throne back.

From some of the impressions about Corvo from some players in this thread, they feel he doesn't fit well within the story.

I would suggest looking at each character's powers first and see which one fits with you the most for your first playthrough,

Outside of powers, is there any story reason why I should do Emily first?
Haven't played Corvo, but in the moment when the game offers the choice, she just made more thematic sense. Corvo had his moment, now it's Emily's time.

Intro scene spoilers:
The game starts with a cutscene from Emily's perspective, with her walking into a throne room. It just made more sense to keep going with that to me rather than switching to Corvo.

Some close-up shots of these clockwork soliders.

31115475432_e3519caba7_o.jpg
31223260086_4affbb9824_o.jpg
31223260306_37cdabba97_o.jpg

this game looks damn pretty at times.

It certainly does

So Stilton's Mansion (A Crack In The Slab) might just be my favorite level in a game. I thought the Clockwork Mansion would be the highlight of Dishonored II's level design and gameplay mechanics but that took the cake.

Just a shame that the shit performance interfered with my enjoyment of it multiple times.

Mission 4

Is there any way of getting into the Assessment Chamber without using the lever?

Trying to avoid using them.

You have to use the lever and avoid the Clockwork Soldier patrolling there if you can

If this is about Jindosh becoming aware of your presence by using a lever, you should deal with him first without using any levers

I haven't played Emily but damn does Corvo's Story definitely feels like a natural continuation. I love the fact that we get to explore his character even further and see his thoughts on how much his homeland has changed. His fight isn't over and someone Delilah, someone who was under his radar all these years proves that (
I enjoyed how the Outsider taunts him about it while also mentioning Daud
).

It also amuses me how Billie Lurk is now aiding Corvo. I like the fact that Daud, Corvo and her all have a connection of some sort.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Got this in a Black Friday sale and I'm having fun with it. I'm pretty early in the game. Can someone tell me how to get this rune? Playing as Emily.

hit the wooden plank with a bullet or arrow and it'll destroy the board, which sends the rune down to you in the basin

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All right, thanks guys. My brain kept saying "possess a rat" but I can't. :p

I believe the levels are designed such that even those doing a no powers run can collect everything, despite the fact they've no use for either bonecharms or runes. Keep that in mind going forward.

You can reach Jindosh without him ever realizing you were in his house.

Just get behind the walls right at the start, and he'll think it was a malfunction. Then there's at least one path from there to him that doesn't require you to push any more buttons.

Lijik

I believe the levels are designed such that even those doing a no powers run can collect everything, despite the fact they've no use for either bonecharms or runes. Keep that in mind going forward.
i think theres one
on the roof at addermire
that people keep saying is impossible to get with no powers, but I havent tried it myself so i dont know if theres a route people might be missing

Anno

You can reach Jindosh without him ever realizing you were in his house.

Just get behind the walls right at the start, and he'll think it was a malfunction. Then there's at least one path from there to him that doesn't require you to push any more buttons.

You can also
shoot out the skylight in the first lever room and reach him without him knowing anyone has entered the house at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i think theres one
on the roof at addermire
that people keep saying is impossible to get with no powers, but I havent tried it myself so i dont know if theres a route people might be missing

Ah, that's right, I looked up how to reach that bonecharm as I just assumed regular Blink wouldn't quite cut it and was being stingy with my runes, haha. But, yeah, it's possible there's some sort of obscure route for those without Blink/Far Reach.

Anno

Mission 4 spoilers.

Man, the non-lethal option for Jindosh is pretty fucked up. Did anyone else decide he was better off dead and kill him during the process? It isn't quite Lady Boyle-level, but I don't think it's too far off.

Badgerst3

Went back and redid first mission any still got high chaos with 12% kill rate.

WTH? The in game save said low chaos and then at mission end- was high chaos. Yes I killed the main target. But my saves said low chaos after.

I will try one more level focusing on stealth before I say F it and go Corvo rambo.

I wish I knew how to track chaos levels better. Want to end low chaos but feels like a chore more than "fun".

Am I missing some stat track somewhere?

Also- on ps4, what is quick load? I think I found quick save.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

WTH? The in game save said low chaos and then at mission end- was high chaos. Yes I killed the main target. But my saves said low chaos after.

I will try one more level focusing on stealth before I say F it and go Corvo rambo.

I wish I knew how to track chaos levels better. Want to end low chaos but feels like a chore more than "fun".

I slaughtered everyone in Mission 1 for a high chaos run and my saves didn't say high chaos until Mission 2 began.

I tried quick load once and it loaded my oldest save instead of the newest one, so I don't know. Bugged?

Chaos isn't calculated until the mission is over. Mission 1 will say Low Chaos until you finish it.

You probably got high chaos because you killed the target. It's a big contributor.

To quick save and quick load- Hit start and you will see the icons. It's R2 to quick save and L2 to quick load.

This game is a good reminder how wrong first impressions can sometimes be. Wasn't a fan of the opening hours at all but after that mission 3, 4 and 5 (the last one I finished) are just amazing.

Attention to detail in level design is incredible.

Only thing I don't like is how fast the guards sometimes get alerted.
And story is crap of course.

I agree until the game's conclusion. I hated the story in the end and it ruined my enjoyment of the overall package. Still haven't seen anyone properly defend the story to challenge my view.

Mission 4 spoilers.

Man, the non-lethal option for Jindosh is pretty fucked up. Did anyone else decide he was better off dead and kill him during the process? It isn't quite Lady Boyle-level, but I don't think it's too far off.

I won't be doing the non-lethal option for him once I have Clean Hands. At least the characters acknowledge what a messed-up thing it is to do.
At least they go out of their way to make Jindosh amoral and have no qualms about experimenting on people. Would be much worse if he wasn't so unambiguously a menace.

Mission 4 spoilers.

I think it's worse than Boyle, especially if you take into account the lore outside of the games which says that
she probably killed Brisby and ended up doing pretty well for herself.
Even without that lore, you could assume that she's such a manipulative witch that she could fend for herself decently well.

With Jindosh, you have
sentenced a man of high intelligence to a fate worse than mere captivity or death. It's pretty awful honestly.

NeatoKuni

i'm at the beginning of mission 8. I'm playing ghost/non lethal/no powers. how do i get past the wall of light that leads to
the palace
if i can't reach the windmill?

Top Bottom