• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm on Mission 5 and take multiple hours on each mission so far. This, for my style of play, is a sign of greatness. When I'm truly in love with what I'm playing, especially these agency driven, exploration games where pacing is dependant on the player and there's a great diversity of game systems to play with, areas to explore, secrets to uncover, and lore to indulge, I lose myself in each chapter/level and end up spending an uncanny amount of time just slowly combing over everything. Much like the first game, and other greats like it, I'm feeling this all over again.

It reminds me how much I love these kinds of games, where it's not open world in the sense of being one giant level mass, but instead a series of meticulously constructed zones operating as chapters/levels, but each constructs in such a way that the intertwine multiple gameplay states and systems with rarely if any forced distinction between moving from one to the other. It's a proper hub sandbox with tight game design and brilliant, intelligent objectives that reward player investment and patience. You look at something like...say, Mass Effect 2. A game I love, but nevertheless does the exact opposite; "levels" and missions are very clearly defined and you're almost always locked into a particular game state (eg: combat, passive, etc) with no sense of backtracking or organic exploration. It does what it does well, but then you have something like this and others like it and the organic mix of game systems is just so immersive and rewarding.

My exceptionally slow pace leads to a great sense of accomplishment when I actually finish a level/chapter. I feel like I've been in a place for a long time, turning over every stone, understanding its layout and nuances. Understanding the greater puzzle of its design. And like I've sapped every single piece of value from the experience. It means for games like this I get a huge return on my investment of time and money. I stretch out longevity beyond the norm, and it's a totally natural pacing.

As a side, I'd also like to note that I'm once again totally allured by the lore, world, and setting of Dishonored. I'd go as far as to say that the Dishonored franchise has one of my favourite settings in the medium. I can't quite describe it. While yes the heavily scripted sequences are almost unanimously amateurish across the board and the writing in these moments leaves a lot to be desired, the bulk in between has been utterly enthralled. There's an authenticity and confidence in the world Arkane has built here. I find it very convincing and bold. And funnily enough, while the scripted dialogue so obnoxiously oversteps its bounds at the expense of subtlety, the rest of the world building does not. Dishonored's worlds relish nuanced lore and backstory and details and mystery, from the heart's commentary to the wealth of literature. I read about places and I want to go there.

I love this game.

I'm on Mission 5 and take multiple hours on each mission so far. This, for my style of play, is a sign of greatness.

As a side, I'd also like to note that I'm once again totally allured by the lore, world, and setting of Dishonored.

I play these games the same way. It's very similar to my approach for games like Deus Ex. Just without the sidequesting. Depending on the length of the game, this can lead to burnout. But Dishonored didn't have that problem and I completed it in just under 30 hours. I was maybe 40 hours into Deus Ex when I felt like I needed a break.

As for the setting, I found myself getting drawn into Dunwall moreso than Karnaca. Though it's usually like that for me when I'm being immersed in a setting for the first time.

Overall I'd rate Dishonored 1 slightly higher, but both are great games.

I wonder if they'll do a Dishonored 3. I'm down.

0racle

I'm finding this game overwhelming for a first timer.

I'm on easy mode, get wrecked all the time and I'm only in mission 2.

I'm trying to get a feel for it all, is it an open world with numerous side quests? Or open word with a linear goal?

If there are side quests how do I get them does it just show up in the quest as optional without needing a trigger?

There seems to be so "much" to the game, ans I'm not sure if it's artificial or not. The game looks detailed as hell to the point I feel I'm constantly missing items, paths, encounters etc. Any advice ?

Anno

I'm trying to get a feel for it all, is it an open world with numerous side quests? Or open word with a linear goal?

If there are side quests how do I get them does it just show up in the quest as optional without needing a trigger?

There seems to be so "much" to the game, ans I'm not sure if it's artificial or not. The game looks detailed as hell to the point I feel I'm constantly missing items, paths, encounters etc. Any advice ?

I was similarly overwhelmed when I first started Dishonored 1 since I never really had a history with these kind of games. In the end I got over it by just not caring so much about how well I did the stealth, how many times I was seen or how many people I had to knife. I just committed to spending tons of time experimenting with the game systems, reloading when something didn't work. Eventually you begin to feel comfortable with how skills work, what guards will and won't notice and how Arkane does level design. Explore everything and always look up.

There are side objectives, yes. Assuming you don't have the markers turned off then they will be added to your HUD and journal as you encounter them. They aren't always so out in the open though so it's possible to miss them.

Having the exact same issue on my PS4 too. Even tried loading older save files and starting a new playthrough, but getting the problem still :/
Turning off the PS4 and letting it sit for a minute fixed it for me.
I had the same thing. Cleaning out the vents alleviated the problem immediately and I haven't had it since.

I also don't leave the game running. It really causes the fan to work overtime.
I'll do this too to be safe. Thanks!

bunkitz

Finally finished the game last night. Clocked in at almost 40 hours for a Low Chaos Emily run. Really funny to think of how Harvey Smith said an average playthrough would take around 15 hours, hahaha.

I really love it, and at the moment it's definitely my Game of the Year. It's only Final Fantasy XV that might change that. I'm still not so sure if I prefer it over the first game, though... The gameplay is definitely far better, especially because of the additional non-lethal options. The improved enemy AI is greatly appreciated as well, although I don't know what they're like on Normal or Easy. The level design is superb, as expected, and levels like The Clockwork Mansion and A Crack in the Slab are simply incredible.

One of my problems, though, was that a lot of things about the game felt like recycled ideas. Of course, as a sequel, you'll get recycled things like assets and whatnot, but the fact that we start each mission via skiff and are on the run, hiding from the authorities while we take out one target after another, etc. feels like a wasted opportunity for something fresh. Although, well, the latter is kind of the explanation for the franchise's title, I suppose, so I can't really blame them for that. To be fair, there were a few missions that were continuations of a previous mission ("The Good Doctor" and "A Crack in the Slab") so that's something different.

Then there's the story. It's not bad, but it didn't feel like it was a worthy sequel to the first game. I'm not quite sure why, as I'm not the type who's able to analyze plots and story structures, etc., but it just felt kind of, I don't know, loose or disjointed, maybe? And it wasn't as "meaty" as I'd hoped. Still, it was enjoyable for what it's worth, and I really liked having a voiced protagonist. I do wish that they would talk more, though, when it came to conversations with NPC's. And from what I've seen, both protagonist have very similar dialogue, so that's another disappointing thing. It would have been much better if there were significant differences between the two, at least in terms of dialogue. I think the worst part, though, would be the ending. It felt so abrupt and... empty? The first game's ending was great and satisfying. Sure, both games had their epilogue cutscenes play right after finishing our last objective (rescuing Emily in the first game, then
rescuing Emily/Corvo
here), without a normal cutscene showing the direct aftermath, sadly, but this one seemed to breeze right through its epilogue. And it felt like not enough details were given. The characters felt like wasted potential too, since we didn't really get to know them much. Maegan Foster was pretty cool, though.
I didn't get to play the first game's DLC's, but I knew who Billie Lurk was from the wiki, thankfully. It was such a surprise for me to read that last letter she had before the final mission.
I wish we learned more about all of them, especially Mindy Blanchard and Paolo.

Lastly, there's the Dreadful Whale. It's a really cool ship, yeah, but that's about it. It's such a wasted potential, because there isn't really much to do there. There aren't much people to talk to, and there's nothing to do there except walk around and look for the new audio log or journal entry from said people to learn more about them. I appreciate the souvenirs, but it would be nicer if we could have customized the place or something. It feels like Mother Base in The Phantom Pain, except really small and cramped-ish. The view was amazing, though, especially when the sun was setting.

On the bright side, though, as I said, the level designs were fantastic. I loved every stage, and it was so much fun exploring each of them, especially without the objective marker to guide me. Side note: I highly recommend playing the game with the health/mana bar set to fade when not in use, the objective markers off, and the aiming reticle off as well. The last one's not as necessary, I suppose, but it helps make the experience more immersive, and makes it easier for taking screenshots, if you're picky like I am. The missions set in populated areas felt great, and Karnaca was just a lovely sight. A little wrinkle in the wonderful world-building, though, is that there seems to be less notes and books throughout the game. I don't know if that's really the case, but it felt that way to me. Bit of a shame, really. And like the first game, we had these huge lovingly-crafted levels with all sorts of stuff, but at the same time, we had the option to just zip past all of that if we found an alternate path. It was really up to the players how to tackle each mission. It's really cool of Arkane to allow this much freedom in their levels.

Bonecharm Crafting and the improved upgrade systems were awesome. I unlocked the former a little late into the game and only started properly utilizing it even later, but it's really great. It's a fantastic addition and I love that it works so well into the game's lore. I just wish Strong Arms wasn't bugged... Makes me wonder how fast a properly working quadruple Strong Arms bonecharm would be, though. And that we can make runes out of the bonecharms we didn't like or want to use? Genius. The power upgrades were really cool. It makes the powers so much more fun now that there are many new ways to use them aside from a simple upgrade that would just extend its power or reach. Pulling enemies from a distance with Far Reach will always be satisfying. And risky, because I don't always get to catch them... Upgrading weapons and gear feels a lot better now too, thanks to the new look. I've always been in love with Dishonored's art direction and menus, but the gear upgrade menu's got to be one of my top favorites. And it's a small thing, but I love how we could upgrade each ammo type differently, and the masterwork upgrades were a really cool way to cap off all the upgrades we've bought, so to speak.

I'm on Mission 5 and take multiple hours on each mission so far. This, for my style of play, is a sign of greatness. When I'm truly in love with what I'm playing, especially these agency driven, exploration games where pacing is dependant on the player and there's a great diversity of game systems to play with, areas to explore, secrets to uncover, and lore to indulge, I lose myself in each chapter/level and end up spending an uncanny amount of time just slowly combing over everything. Much like the first game, and other greats like it, I'm feeling this all over again.

It reminds me how much I love these kinds of games, where it's not open world in the sense of being one giant level mass, but instead a series of meticulously constructed zones operating as chapters/levels, but each constructs in such a way that the intertwine multiple gameplay states and systems with rarely if any forced distinction between moving from one to the other. It's a proper hub sandbox with tight game design and brilliant, intelligent objectives that reward player investment and patience. You look at something like...say, Mass Effect 2. A game I love, but nevertheless does the exact opposite; "levels" and missions are very clearly defined and you're almost always locked into a particular game state (eg: combat, passive, etc) with no sense of backtracking or organic exploration. It does what it does well, but then you have something like this and others like it and the organic mix of game systems is just so immersive and rewarding.

My exceptionally slow pace leads to a great sense of accomplishment when I actually finish a level/chapter. I feel like I've been in a place for a long time, turning over every stone, understanding its layout and nuances. Understanding the greater puzzle of its design. And like I've sapped every single piece of value from the experience. It means for games like this I get a huge return on my investment of time and money. I stretch out longevity beyond the norm, and it's a totally natural pacing.

As a side, I'd also like to note that I'm once again totally allured by the lore, world, and setting of Dishonored. I'd go as far as to say that the Dishonored franchise has one of my favourite settings in the medium. I can't quite describe it. While yes the heavily scripted sequences are almost unanimously amateurish across the board and the writing in these moments leaves a lot to be desired, the bulk in between has been utterly enthralled. There's an authenticity and confidence in the world Arkane has built here. I find it very convincing and bold. And funnily enough, while the scripted dialogue so obnoxiously oversteps its bounds at the expense of subtlety, the rest of the world building does not. Dishonored's worlds relish nuanced lore and backstory and details and mystery, from the heart's commentary to the wealth of literature. I read about places and I want to go there.

I love this game.

I'm at the same spot and I agree with every word.

Clockwork Mansion is probably one of the best designed levels in years.

CHC

Man if you guys are liking Clockwork Mansion wait until you reach Crack In The Slab. Legitimately mind-boggling level design going on.

It's not open world but it's not linear either. The design is mostly akin to an "area simulation" in the sense that it presents a small physical space in a highly detailed and open manner.

In terms of being overwhelmed, I would suggest just turning off all the HUD elements aside from basics like health, ammo, and crosshair. If you're talking about being overwhelmed by visual clutter, then yes, much of it is non-interactive but it's worth exploring everywhere for extra coin and upgrade items.

There aren't really "quests" so much as side goals that you may or may not discover. One of the main things to remember is that there are MANY paths and solutions built into all the levels, so just pick one and go with it. There's no "right" way to play, but by the same token you're not really meant to see it all in one play through either.

Best way to play the first time is to just explore around while you work your way towards the objective, and don't worry about being a perfectionist. You have lots of recourse if you get spotted - be it via killing or via escape.

It's hard to appreciate this game and it's predecessor on one play through though. It's the kind of thing where you will revisit the first level later on, discover some completely new route, and be totally surprised that you never knew you could do that.

Example: in the very first level - escape from Dunwall - you can
climb up some pipes and leap on to a train as it passes by, allowing you to completely bypass the majority of the level while you laugh at the guards looking for you below

roytheone

Man, the slide takedown is so good, I should have been using it way more! If you only have one enemy left, you can just sprint at them full speed, slide, and do the takedown. No risk of them accidentally turning around!

Man, the slide takedown is so good, I should have been using it way more! If you only have one enemy left, you can just sprint at them full speed, slide, and do the takedown. No risk of them accidentally turning around!

Non-lethal slide and air takedowns are so damn good. And frankly, one of the best new mechanics in this game :)

Non-lethal slide and air takedowns are so damn good. And frankly, one of the best new mechanics in this game :)

As ACG (Karak) mentioned in his review, you can literally spam the sprint+slide+melee takedown combo in an instant on every enemy. It's easy mode.

I had to consciously not use it because it trivialized every encounter.

As ACG (Karak) mentioned in his review, you can literally spam the sprint+slide+melee takedown combo in an instant on every enemy. It's easy mode.

I had to consciously not use it because it trivialized every encounter.

It can be argued that the powers are themselves easy mode once you get tons of upgrades.

As long people have their fun with the mechanics and use it however they like, I don't see how it matters.

Dabi

Loving this game. About 21 hours and on mission 8.

Yes I know. I'm playing through this hella slow. *shrugs*

Staf

Finished the clock work mansion. Think i'm done with the game. I don't hate the game or anything but neither the story or stealth does anything for me. The world is cool but it's just not for me.

NeatoKuni

on mision 9
i powered up the elevator but there's a hound whenever i send it down.. how do i bypass it nopowers/nonlethal/ghost

also t
hat bomb drop at the start of the mission!! I unfortunately explored first so i saw what happened before the revelation was actually told.
thats crazy man. it sucks that the game is almost over.

one thing i was curious about is if i rob one black market do i lose the ability to shop there again? in the last mission the black market attacked me on sight.

edit: that's so funny. so i tried again but before calling the elevator down i thought "oh i'll just open the door push the button and hide. when the elevator goes down he'll wander out and i'll sneak back in." what ended up happening was when i went to hide i triggered his summoning thing?? and he spawned on top of the elevator so i just pressed the button and the nice guy took a ride with me and i was out just like that.

on mision 9
one thing i was curious about is if i rob one black market do i lose the ability to shop there again? in the last mission the black market attacked me on sight.

If you rob a black market shop, they are closed for good. So best to buy some gear and ammo before robbing them.

NeatoKuni

If you rob a black market shop, they are closed for good. So best to buy some gear and ammo before robbing them.

no i mean, if i rob a black market in a previous mission. in mission 8 they attacked me on sight. like they were all in position to attack before i even got there.

Truant

I love this game.

I completely agree. I spent like three hours reading every lore piece in the Conservatory, yet I left my couch to get a soda while the ending cutscene played.

I'd love for the next Dishonored to adapt a Hitman-style approach. Huge sprawling levels filled with lore and environmental storytelling, and various targets that you have to kill. Skip the big plotline in favor of side quests and a larger overarching story that the played could uncover by overhearing conversations and reading lore-items.

Something like Hitman paired with the gameplay systems and universe of Dishonored would be fantastic.

It can be argued that the powers are themselves easy mode once you get tons of upgrades.

As long people have their fun with the mechanics and use it however they like, I don't see how it matters.

Fair enough. Agreed now that I think on it.

With Corvo's blink you can simply blink 5 feet above someone's head and kill them as you drop down in every single encounter.

shiba5

on mision 9
i powered up the elevator but there's a hound whenever i send it down.. how do i bypass it nopowers/nonlethal/ghost

also t
hat bomb drop at the start of the mission!! I unfortunately explored first so i saw what happened before the revelation was actually told.
thats crazy man. it sucks that the game is almost over.

edit: that's so funny. so i tried again but before calling the elevator down i thought "oh i'll just open the door push the button and hide. when the elevator goes down he'll wander out and i'll sneak back in." what ended up happening was when i went to hide i triggered his summoning thing?? and he spawned on top of the elevator so i just pressed the button and the nice guy took a ride with me and i was out just like that.

You can jump to the hatch above the elevator door and wait for it to wander off.

Egg0

Banned
Welp... Mission 5 is where my nonlethal playthrough died.

At the end it said I killed 1 enemy and I don't even remember who or when. I hate that there's no feedback for when you kill someone.

Xiao Hu

Since Dishonored 3 will most likely be based on one of the two northern islands
Sokolov's plans to retire in his homeland
I would like to see a new protagonist. Corvo will be too old by then (npcs already calling him grandpa lol) and Emily felt really blunt. Besides having a walking empress/assassin power fantasy was rather boring for me. How about a rogue-Overseer who becomes a protégé of Corvo? Also please give me a coherent big hub city. I don't necessarily need an open world game but I want a bigger world to discover.

Well,

I reinstalled the game and the patch, and the game is still broken. Every time I try to load a certain save, it just crashes the PS4. Ugh. Have to load a save or two back now.

This happens after the Royal Conservatory on the Wale just as an FYI.

Roto13

Mission 3 question.
I killed the doctor and I'm still in the area to collect stuff, but Joe Hamilton won't talk to me and give me his key. Am I screwed out of whatever's in his room?

Anno

Mission 3 question.
I killed the doctor and I'm still in the area to collect stuff, but Joe Hamilton won't talk to me and give me his key. Am I screwed out of whatever's in his room?

The key
should be in a bowl behind him.

Anno

Ah, OK. Would have really bummed me out if I'd missed something permanently.

Can any runes and bonecharms and stuff be missed?

I think a couple of levels can be completed kind of abruptly. Other than that I don't think I've seen any choices that would lock you out of runes or charms. Some are kinda tricky to get to, though. One in that level gave me the hardest time of any of them.

Roto13

I think a couple of levels can be completed kind of abruptly. Other than that I don't think I've seen any choices that would lock you out of runes or charms. Some are kinda tricky to get to, though. One in that level gave me the hardest time of any of them.

There are a few in this level I haven't been able to track down.

Did find the shrine. Game crashed. Yay.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished my first playthrough as Emily going mostly non-lethal/low-chaos.

The was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed taking my time combing through the levels and looting everything. Probably took me around 24 hours in total.

I think I might run through it again as Corvo just murdering every non-citizen who crosses my path.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since Dishonored 3 will most likely be based on one of the two northern islands
Sokolov's plans to retire in his homeland
I would like to see a new protagonist. Corvo will be too old by then (npcs already calling him grandpa lol) and Emily felt really blunt. Besides having a walking empress/assassin power fantasy was rather boring for me. How about a rogue-Overseer who becomes a protégé of Corvo? Also please give me a coherent big hub city. I don't necessarily need an open world game but I want a bigger world to discover.

So, what you're saying is that she's Emily Blunt. ;)

Anyone else with a PS4 Pro jump to Dishonored 2 after Titanfall 2? I'm sad to say it's not flattering for D2. The game looks kinda ugly in comparison; image quality not nearly as sharp, and the environments just don't look great IMO. And it's not nearly as smooth to control. Then I tried some combat which I feel is not so hot. Only done 1 chapter, so hopefully things improve.

Uh so Crack in the Slab impression:

Might actually be better time-traveling than Titanfall 2's, which I thought wasn't going to be passed any time soon..

Satch

Banned
So, what you're saying is that she's Emily Blunt. ;)

image.php

ive been wanting this on pc but with the awful performance ive been considering it on ps4.
give me your thoughts gaf.
is it a stable 30? are there frequent drops?

or is PC still gonna run better despite its issues?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ive been wanting this on pc but with the awful performance ive been considering it on ps4.
give me your thoughts gaf.
is it a stable 30? are there frequent drops?

or is PC still gonna run better despite its issues?

What are your specs?

Monocle

I love this game.
This is great to hear. I'm just getting back into the original game in preparation for this one, and I relate to a lot of what you said about level design that compels you to explore every zone in detail. I'm glad the sequel promotes that kind of experience. Can't wait to dive in.

Just finished.

Gawddamn it was good. I think I read some comments of the end feeling abbreviated or rushed, which I don't really agree with. Definitely a
retread
, but still good stuff.

EDIT: Finished it in 14 hours, 22 minutes. The early missions took me a long time, but Dishonored 2 provided this really satisfying learning curve where as the game went on, I got better and better at understanding the level design and the pathing that the devs allowed for.

Top Bottom