• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Truant

Just finished.

Gawddamn it was good. I think I read some comments of the end feeling abbreviated or rushed, which I don't really agree with. Definitely a
retread
, but still good stuff.

EDIT: Finished it in 14 hours, 22 minutes. The early missions took me a long time, but Dishonored 2 provided this really satisfying learning curve where as the game went on, I got better and better at understanding the level design and the pathing that the devs allowed for.

The completion time is really all over the place for this game. I spent 30 hours total, going mostly non-lethal / stealth. Didn't even try to do a ghost run, but I was careful and explored pretty much everything. Didn't manage to get all collectibles, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i5-6500
16gb RAM

I'd give the PC version a whirl. If you buy it on Steam, you've the option of getting your money back provided you don't play the game for more than a couple of hours and submit the request within two weeks of purchase -- and remember that time played in Offline Mode currently isn't a factor. Regarding graphics, Ultra's out of the question, but the difference between it and Very High/High is virtually indistinguishable, and if need be you can now cap the game to 30fps without a dramatic increase in load times.

The completion time is really all over the place for this game. I spent 30 hours total, going mostly non-lethal / stealth. Didn't even try to do a ghost run, but I was careful and explored pretty much everything. Didn't manage to get all collectibles, though.
I probably would have spent more time exploring under normal circumstances, but I guess at the end I was getting more pleasure from seeing how I could speed through.

Probably didn't help that I played all of Dishonored and the DLC last week, lmao.

Truant

Is there any consequence for killing Mindy Blanchard? The side-quest lady from Mission 2?

I stabbed her after I finished her quest and got a "Key Figure Assassinated" message.

the second part of the game is so much better than the beginning, because playing with the powers is fun from a gameplay perspective, and their initial push to establish a linear narrative in the beginning is botched imo. all the interwieving narrative of the later chapters is much more natural and stems from player agency. Very nice.
I'm also impressed by the AI behaviour, even if they tend to rapidly surround you and destroy you in combat.

Technically is quite a mess tough, very long load times on a standard ps4.

The biggest sin tough is the outsider voice: very flat delivery, weirdly mixed (very hard to understand what he says even with headphones). Emily is nicely voiced in my opinion.

Xiao Hu

Is there any consequence for killing Mindy Blanchard? The side-quest lady from Mission 2?

I stabbed her after I finished her quest and got a "Key Figure Assassinated" message.

Nothing. Even if you haven't helped her she won't reappear in her home in the Dust District. So either she will play a role in the DLCs or Arcane simply forgot/didn't have enough time to implement her properly.

Nivert

Finally played it this weekend it feels a lot better on PC for me than at launch. 70+ fps on medium which I was happy enough with.

Finished it in 17 hours but I know I missed some stuff so looking forward to more playthroughs. I don't think there's any other franchise where I enjoy the world as much as Dishonoured.

Kalentan

I'm 3 hours and 30 min in and I'm just about to reach the first mission in Karnaca. Since arriving at Karnaca I have literally scraped every single floor and ceiling for anything. I've bought a fair amount of upgrades as well. Think I might have enough for some more once I finish non-lethally taking out more guards.

Lijik

Nothing. Even if you haven't helped her she won't reappear in her home in the Dust District. So either she will play a role in the DLCs or Arcane simply forgot/didn't have enough time to implement her properly.

She actually can reappear if you
bring the head overseer to the Howlers turning them friendly, but not while the area is hostile. She'll talk about wanting to give you a tattoo but not having enough time

Nothing major though.

CHC

Even though I LOVED Clockwork Mansion and Crack In The Slab, there is some part of me that kind of prefers the "bread and butter" levels where it's just a normal-ass infiltration.

Has anyone tried actually sneaking past enemies on the ground? Dishonored has always encouraged finding a vertical path that hides you from the enemies since you don't have many options to conceal yourself on the ground, but 2 pushes it more than ever. I can't imagine actually trying to just walk past the guards and entering the front door of the Conservatory.

Even though I LOVED Clockwork Mansion and Crack In The Slab, there is some part of me that kind of prefers the "bread and butter" levels where it's just a normal-ass infiltration.

Clockwork Mansion is fine if a little convoluted. Crack in the Slab I don't know how well it's going to hold up past 2 or 3 playthroughs.

Clockwork mansion is where I checked out entirely.

Trying to do a stealth no-spot run is just way, way too trial and error with that level's design. I ended up quick-loading from saves more times in that level than in the rest of the game up to that point combined, and then some. I could definitely power through it, but it was enough of a slog that I just ran out of the will to do so. Total bummer as I absolutely loved everything leading up to it.

Great idea on paper, but not so great for a first person stealth approach.

Trying to do a stealth no-spot run is just way, way too trial and error with that level's design. I ended up quick-loading from saves more times in that level than in the rest of the game up to that point combined, and then some. I could definitely power through it, but it was enough of a slog that I just ran out of the will to do so. Total bummer as I absolutely loved everything leading up to it.

I will just never get why someone does the stealth, no spot stuff on first play. Just seems like an exercise in frustration.

I always find that stuff better on subsequent plays where I already have knowledge of the level design, AI patterns, and tools/power (if applicable).

I will just never get why someone does the stealth, no spot stuff on first play. Just seems like an exercise in frustration.
It requires patience, exploration, and offers the best challenge.

Whenever I've tried to play the game for combat, or to freely kill in stealth, it loses its oomph in comparison. I get quickly bored because its so easy to just wipe out each guard and move on to the next, with much less risk, and less need to take advantage of alternate sneaky paths. Wish I could enjoy that stuff more, because the game gives you a lot of lethal toys to play with.

And in the time I've played of Dishonored - the entire first game, and everything up to and including the beginning of the Clockwork Mansion, its never been a problem. But they key has always been that you could plan ahead, and the Clockwork Mansion throws you into too many blind situations, and actively hinders some attempts at alternate paths.

I'll come back to the game at some point, but it stopped scratching the itch that brought me to the game for now.

It requires patience, exploration, and offers the best challenge.

Whenever I've tried to play the game for combat, or to freely kill in stealth, it loses its oomph in comparison. I get quickly bored because its so easy to just wipe out each guard and move on to the next, with much less risk, and less need to take advantage of alternate sneaky paths. Wish I could enjoy that stuff more, because the game gives you a lot of lethal toys to play with.

And in the time I've played of Dishonored - the entire first game, and everything up to and including the beginning of the Clockwork Mansion, its never been a problem. But they key has always been that you could plan ahead, and the Clockwork Mansion throws you into too many blind situations, and actively hinders some attempts at alternate paths.

I'll come back to the game at some point, but it stopped scratching the itch that brought me to the game for now.

Interesting. I would think that Clockwork Mansion would appeal to you more, then, since it offers up some really interesting changes to the formula and rulebook. Plus the developers even accounted for that style and gave the level its own special achievement for playing that way.

It seems like it would be more of a challenge but not unfair.

Frozone

This game has the best shaders since The Order 1886. I love the skin shading on it. I'm not sure why other games don't have SSS for all the characters. The water also looks very very good. These 2 shaders alone are probably the cause of the FPS slowdown. Overall, incredible art direction and the same intense storyline that was in the original.

If you're literally going to try going through the front, that Mansion is probably a pain.

You can find an alternate route though that will allow you get to
Jindosh's office and then to Sokolov's prison
and extract in about five to ten minutes. If you want to explore and pick up shit in the Mansion, obviously that adds some time.

I always find that stuff better on subsequent plays where I already have knowledge of the level design, AI patterns, and tools/power (if applicable).
I just finished my first run last night doing that.

It was an exercise in frustration through Mission 3, which was a real bitch for me. But once Mission 4 began, it started becoming more and more clear what kind of verticality the level design allowed for and how the AI reacted to various things. Like I said, there's a really satisfying learning curve that you get playing that way that might have made for my favorite "game design" experience of the year.

It was an exercise in frustration through Mission 3, which was a real bitch for me. But once Mission 4 began, it started becoming more and more clear what kind of verticality the level design allowed for and how the AI reacted to various things. Like I said, there's a really satisfying learning curve that you get playing that way that might have made for my favorite "game design" experience of the year.

I would definitely agree with that. It seems like they looked at the cheese tactics from Dishonored 1 (and stealth games in general) and adjusted accordingly to make the game more challenging but that proved pretty challenging to a lot of people, at least early in the game. While I never found it too frustrating I felt like the difficulty was a lot higher than before but after learning the new systems I really appreciate it.

Yeah. I save ghost runs for when I slowly replay the game throughout the year. Especially with New Game + and mission selection getting added in December.

Crack in Time is
a lot nicer if you knock out Stilton. Can just run around the mansion, going back and forth as you want and getting the loot. Definitely better than playing with the ruined mansion and no powers.

d00d3n

Crack in Time is
a lot nicer if you knock out Stilton. Can just run around the mansion, going back and forth as you want and getting the loot. Definitely better than playing with the ruined mansion and no powers.

Just make sure to get all the loot in the level before you lock some of it away in a timeline that never happened.

0racle

As a first time dishonored player I'm torn.

I'm up to mission 6. On easy.

First off, the world is goddamn remarkable. I'm in awe Everytime I play and the creativity is on a whole new level, I can't believe how much stuff there is.

Which is my next complaint, there is too much stuff ! I feel overwhelmed most of the time with the amount of visual crap I need to digest trying to locate essential items. Key items should be highlighted better. It's to the point Im not looking or exploring anymore because it stresses me out and gives me a headache.

Also,in regards to powers I feel it's all over the place and not really well implemented. That is why I'm killing everyone using doupleganger and domino.

I'm loving the story and the world of dishonored, but I feel like im doing it all wrong, like I'm missing the point and I'm not seeing everything there is. I get all bones and runes in each level and whatever other collectables there are but something is just feeling off. I know your supposed to play multiple times, and maybe that is the issue. I don't want to. I don't have the time and there are so many other games that I would prefer to play through, and experience the game as close to 100% in one run.

Frustration aside, this goes down in memory as the most impressive gave world in a LONG time.

-Stranger-

Need some help on mission 7

I've just witnessed the seance and now I need to leave the mansion. I entered the room in the present and I didn't need to put the code in. Now the door is locked and I can't figure out how to leave.

Edit I'm an idiot there was a button.

Ill Saint

It's actually incredibly easy to stealth / ghost that level by going (spoilered just in case)
behind the walls
. And it can be completed in a matter of minutes.

Noks415

This is my first Dishonored game and its so good.

It takes me hours to complete a level because of the amount of time I spend looking for loot, being as stealthy as possible, and reading all the lore.( Sokolov's expedition into Pandyssia is awesome)

Finger looking good.

k0gc.jpg

Most levels in Dishonored 2 are fairly easy if you just go straight to the objectives, same as the first game. Getting all the runes, bone charms, and money is where it gets tough.

I was collecting every damn thing in my first playthrough. Sometimes that became an exercise of frustration. Especially when I didn't use half my powers and most bonecharms are useless.

I'm going for low chaos - never be seen in my 2nd playthrough. Only completing required objectives. I'm having a lot more fun playing this way. Except I can't use half the crap I pick up. Can't set enemies on fire with arrows when going for low chaos :(

pksu

Neo Member
So there really is no way to restart missions? I just noticed from the stats that I had accidentally killed someone during Conservatory level and there goes my non-lethal run *sigh*

So there really is no way to restart missions? I just noticed from the stats that I had accidentally killed someone during Conservatory level and there goes my non-lethal run *sigh*
Load an old save. Always save at the beginning of a level.

It's really stupid, but you can work around it.

Dabi

Just finished my first playthrough as Emily.

Still a ton of fun albeit it feels very familiar. A little disappointed with the amount of daytime vs. nighttime missions. Saving my Corvo playthrough for later.

Definitely in my top 3 this year.

The majority of the bone charms are pretty useless, but they're randomized so you have to try to collect them in case one is any good. The effects on most of them are way too minor or situational to do anything.

SJRB

Gold Member
The majority of the bone charms are pretty useless, but they're randomized so you have to try to collect them in case one is any good. The effects on most of them are way too minor or situational to do anything.

Yeah everytime I get one I'm kinda puzzled at its uselessness. I have maybe two bonecharms that are somewhat interesting because they add 0.00045% additional mana per elixer consumption, or the other which renders a one in 53 chance my Blink doesn't consume mana. Well whoop-dee-doo.

I also don't understand the menu interface - why aren't they sorted chronologically, like last one picked up is on top of the list? I sometimes pick up a bonecharm and don't even know which one I got.

I just got the PC version. I just noticed, is the DH2 DLC literally tied to the Dishonored Definitive Edition? So if I own the definitive edition, it will not let me have one to gift and I cannot use the DLC given then? What the fuck?

Yeah everytime I get one I'm kinda puzzled at its uselessness. I have maybe two bonecharms that are somewhat interesting because they add 0.00045% additional mana per elixer consumption, or the other which renders a one in 53 chance my Blink doesn't consume mana. Well whoop-dee-doo.

I also don't understand the menu interface - why aren't they sorted chronologically, like last one picked up is on top of the list? I sometimes pick up a bonecharm and don't even know which one I got.

Single bonecharms I always sacrifice to combine them with other abilities crafting a three or four slot one. The only thing really worth equipping from when you find them are the black bonecharms.

It's actually incredibly easy to stealth / ghost that level by going (spoilered just in case)
behind the walls
. And it can be completed in a matter of minutes.
It's also very easy to get spotted by guards when reconfiguring into new areas, as happened to me, even after being patient and using powers to try to detect them beforehand. And its not exactly the easiest thing to map out the layout of the place and how everything works while in first person and trying to avoid detection. The process of learning the space itself is what drove me to the brink with how often I had to reload previous saves.

Maybe once you know the layout its easy, but the process of discovery is frustrating at best if you're going for a stealth/no-spots playstyle.

It's also very easy to get spotted by guards when reconfiguring into new areas, as happened to me, even after being patient and using powers to try to detect them beforehand. And its not exactly the easiest thing to map out the layout of the place and how everything works while in first person and trying to avoid detection. The process of learning the space itself is what drove me to the brink with how often I had to reload previous saves.

Maybe once you know the layout its easy, but the process of discovery is frustrating at best if you're going for a stealth/no-spots playstyle.

Yeah, I kind of wish the perception ability that causes time to slow down when spotted would actually trigger moments before getting spotted. So if you were quick enough you could still keep a ghost run.

That might make it way too easy though.

Top Bottom