• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

It's also very easy to get spotted by guards when reconfiguring into new areas, as happened to me, even after being patient and using powers to try to detect them beforehand. And its not exactly the easiest thing to map out the layout of the place and how everything works while in first person and trying to avoid detection. The process of learning the space itself is what drove me to the brink with how often I had to reload previous saves.

Maybe once you know the layout its easy, but the process of discovery is frustrating at best if you're going for a stealth/no-spots playstyle.

You are missing something on that level. You can't play that method. Instead you have to:

Pull only a single configuration level and then immediately go "behind the scenes" during the transformation. Jindosh will think it was an error and won't realize you are there. Then you can stay behind the scenes and make your way to Jindosh. The key is that if you pull another lever or hit the floor in the mansion proper Jindosh knows because they are all rigged.

The game even has its own achievement for ghosting the mansion:
Silence

KORNdoggy

Mission 7 finished and it was excellent. Although
i find it weird the entire mansion gets a completely new "present" mode and yet the game doesn't make use of it in terms of a new objective. It just says leave...seems like a waste and ton of space a lot of people won't even see....personally i scoured the place lol

I'm at about 27 hours now. It takes a long time when you have no powers and are going for a pure stealth run (while collecting everything possible) But god is it satisfying! Plus a powers run will be a breeze after this, it's teaching me such good stealth habits.

You are missing something on that level. You can't play that method. Instead you have to:

Pull only a single configuration level and then immediately go "behind the scenes" during the transformation. Jindosh will think it was an error and won't realize you are there. Then you can stay behind the scenes and make your way to Jindosh. The key is that if you pull another lever or hit the floor in the mansion proper Jindosh knows because they are all rigged.

The game even has its own achievement for ghosting the mansion:
Silence
Interesting. But how am I supposed to know this? How do I find this out organically through play?

I changed configurations often, while trying to understand and come to terms with the space and the possibilities. Sometimes he'd lose me for a little bit, but soon enough detect me again. Not that I found a way directly to him. I found Sokolov first in that crappy maze, and was told I should bring him back to the carriage for his own safety before confronting Jindosh. I then made my way, Soklolov in tow, back to the entrance where the game had placed an additional clockwork soldier to cover the foyer - at that point I just said fuck it and turned of the game.

Interesting. But how am I supposed to know this? How do I find this out organically through play?

I changed configurations often, while trying to understand and come to terms with the space and the possibilities. Sometimes he'd lose me for a little bit, but soon enough detect me again. Not that I found a way directly to him. I found Sokolov first in that crappy maze, and was told I should bring him back to the carriage for his own safety before confronting Jindosh. I then made my way, Soklolov in tow, back to the entrance where the game had placed an additional clockwork soldier to cover the foyer - at that point I just said fuck it and turned of the game.

His verbal cues tell you. He will talk to you as you move through the mansion (at one point explicitly saying that the floors are rigged to detect movement. He talks to you every time you pull a configuration lever, making it clear that he knows each time you do it. Then, when you go behind the scenes, his voiceover changes, indicating that he can no longer track you. Once you hit a the mansion proper (ie rigged floor again), the verbal cue indicates that he can track you again.

As for how to proceed- you have to take out Jindosh first, without him knowing that you are there. Then you can rescue Sokolov.

The level is basically designed to present a new series of challenges for people who focus on ghost runs.

mujun

In Jindosh's I
shot out a window in the roof near the entrance and he never knew I was there. Most of the robot guards also don't get turned on if you do that.

Satch

Banned
lmao hooooly shit, so the first time i played this game i went high chaos emily, and in high chaos when you get back to dunwall, meagan
doesnt tell you that shes billie lurk, or that she played a part in killing emily's mother

so im playing low chaos emily now, and
she told me shes billie lurk, and i killed her. and emilys like "my father would want me to do this" or some shit. then i went and killed sokolov and she goes "you should have told me meagan killed my mother"

this is great. now im going to quickload and pretend it never happened

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Meagan's Losing Deidra audiograph sounds a little off at times. I'd guess that, for some reason, Rosario Dawson didn't record the whole thing in one go and instead it's a few separate recording sessions stitched together.

NIN90

Mission 4:
So I got Sokolov out of the mansion and now I gotta go back for the other guy. Problem is that there are 3 of them automatons in the first, tiny room blocking my way and I have to pull a switch in right in the middle of the goddamn room to even proceed. I've been playing ghost but I honestly see no way to get through this without triggering an alert. Is there a second entryway to enter the mansion proper that I'm missing?
Is there even a way to dispatch these enemies stealthily? Haven't found one.

Mission 4:
So I got Sokolov out of the mansion and now I gotta go back for the other guy. Problem is that there are 3 of them automatons in the first, tiny room blocking my way and I have to pull a switch in right in the middle of the goddamn room to even proceed. I've been playing ghost but I honestly see no way to get through this without triggering an alert. Is there a second entryway to enter the mansion proper that I'm missing?
Is there even a way to dispatch these enemies stealthily? Haven't found one.
Ghost spoiler for that mission:
You don't need to pull any levers in that Mansion other than the ones in Sokolov's prison.

Explanation:
When I got to the first room with a lever, I shot the glass out above it and went through that opening. That takes you into the house and away from any obvious entrance. Once you're inside, there's a few ways you can proceed, but one pretty obvious way is to go behind the walls.

God I hope this game gets an expansion or two of similar size and scope to Knife of Fine all/Brigmore Witches. Karnaca is such a unique setting, I feel like there's a lot of potential left to squeeze out of it.

stn

Does it make sense to play the game like this:

1st time: Low chaos. Use powers, don't get detected or kill anyone.
2nd time: High chaos. Don't use powers, don't stress stealth.

I want to maximize achievements and completion. Thanks.

Anno

Does it make sense to play the game like this:

1st time: Low chaos. Use powers, don't get detected or kill anyone.
2nd time: High chaos. Don't use powers, don't stress stealth.

I want to maximize achievements and completion. Thanks.

The only thing I don't know is if ghost and clean hands are compatible. Like are you technically detected doing some of the non-lethal options that require interacting with NPCs? Guess I'm posing that more to the rest of the thread as I'm not sure.

Morts

lmao hooooly shit, so the first time i played this game i went high chaos emily, and in high chaos when you get back to dunwall, meagan
doesnt tell you that shes billie lurk, or that she played a part in killing emily's mother

so im playing low chaos emily now, and
she told me shes billie lurk, and i killed her. and emilys like "my father would want me to do this" or some shit. then i went and killed sokolov and she goes "you should have told me meagan killed my mother"

this is great. now im going to quickload and pretend it never happened

Holy shit that's awesome. I love this game.

JaseC

The only thing I don't know is if ghost and clean hands are compatible. Like are you technically detected doing some of the non-lethal options that require interacting with NPCs? Guess I'm posing that more to the rest of the thread as I'm not sure.

Being detected doesn't refer to merely being seen but rather triggering a red alert. NPCs in particular will give you a few warnings before running for their lives.

Anno

Being detected doesn't refer to merely being seen but rather triggering a red alert. NPCs in particular will give you a few warnings before running for their lives.

Right. I guess I meant stuff like doing the non-lethal version of mission 5.
Delilah is straight up talking to you at the end and Breanna knows you're there too I think. I don't know if you get the detected marks or not, which is why I was curious if it counted somehow as a detection because you are in the literal sense.

I don't expect it to count, was just curious if for some reason it did as I've never looked.

I finished the game like this. So it works fine.

JaseC

Right. I guess I meant stuff like doing the non-lethal version of mission 5.
Delilah is straight up talking to you at the end and Breanna knows you're there too I think. I don't know if you get the detected marks or not, which is why I was curious if it counted somehow as a detection because you are in the literal sense.

I don't expect it to count, was just curious if for some reason it did as I've never looked.

Ah. Yeah, as orthodoxy alludes to above, those sort of interactions also aren't a factor. It's just red alerts specifically that count as detections.

Anno

Right. Like I said I was pretty certain that's how it would work given that the game is usually so consistent. Just wanted to make sure I guess.

shiba5

i heard him say that he can tell where i am by my footsteps on the floor, so i blinked from place to place on top of display cases, statues and chairs and he never knew i was there.

He never says anything to me because I never touch anything. He's completely unaware I'm in his house.

shiba5

How do you avoid getting detected by those skull dogs head things? ( I don't know what they are called). They're in chapter 6.

Shoot the skulls with a crossbow. Avoid them if they're already walking around.
You can still shoot them, but you have to be quick and shoot the skull again or they'll reform.

Satch

Banned
finished the second playthrough doing all of the good things and getting low chaos

it felt great to repent after the mess of my first playthrough

TitusTroy

I just reached the first big hub- Karnaca...what's wrong with the civilians in this game?...they're all so jumpy and paranoid and easily go hostile for no reason...any way to prevent this?

I just reached the first big hub- Karnaca...what's wrong with the civilians in this game?...they're all so jumpy and paranoid and easily go hostile for no reason...any way to prevent this?

Did you do anything aggressive in front of them or sneak up on their places? The loading screen hints gives you some tips about them

DukeBobby

Finished it. A definite improvement over the original (not read the thread, so I'm not sure if I'm in the minority on that one) but I really wish I didn't go for Shadow/Clean Hands on my first playthrough. I got both trophies, but it sapped a lot of the fun out of the game.

Still, great game with excellent level design. I thought the first game started strongly, but tapered off after the first few levels. This was pretty consistent all the way through. Looking forward to my high chaos playthrough.

Finished it. A definite improvement over the original (not read the thread, so I'm not sure if I'm in the minority on that one) but I really wish I didn't go for Shadow/Clean Hands on my first playthrough. I got both trophies, but it sapped a lot of the fun out of the game.

Still, great game with excellent level design. I thought the first game started strongly, but tapered off after the first few levels. This was pretty consistent all the way through. Looking forward to my high chaos playthrough.

I think the first one is good all the way through. None of the missions are bad, but the High Overseer mission definitely has the most sidequests, atmosphere, and world-building. Dishonored 2 is a little lacking in that even though Crack in Time is really inventive, disabling your powers typically makes it the low point of additional playthroughs.

The slide and drop knockouts are some of the best additions. You actually get to do "cool" stuff while playing nonlethal, rather than crouching around and choking everybody.

TitusTroy

I'm up to Mission 3...fantastic gameplay and level design...I think it's even better then the first game...the graphics are disappointing but I do love the overall art style...is there no option to replay individual Missions like the first game?

Bunga

Just started this on PS4 and got to the start of Mission 1 in Karnaca. I liked the prologue, they've definitely improved enemies vision! I was astounded at how far away they were still seeing me. Is it right that they can now see you when leaning out now too as opposed to being completely safe in this regard in the first game? I seem to be filling their detection meters when leaning out.

The world building so far is excellent as predicted. Karnaca is a complete overload on the eyes upon arrival at the docks. Got a feeling this game is gonna take me ages to complete (which is great!) as I intend to play it nice and slowly. It took me over an hour just to get to the boat at the start.

p.s. first post on GAF :D

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Mission 5 was probably one of the best in the series. Really intense. Working out the route to the top floor without powers was particularly gratifying.

I've just left the sewer for the next mission. Turned that first corner and NOPED out. After my nail biting escape from Mission 5, I decided to chill with a little WD2 instead. I'll give it a shot tonight, but that next section without powers/no kills/no alarms looks like it'll be tough.

Obviously I don't want spoilers but
does anyone else think the DLC might focus on Meagan? I assume so unless something changes. I'm guessing she lopped off her arm to get rid of the Mark...

Truant

Obviously I don't want spoilers but
does anyone else think the DLC might focus on Meagan? I assume so unless something changes. I'm guessing she lopped off her arm to get rid of the Mark...

The game explains why she lost her arm, so I seriously doubt that.

SJRB

Gold Member
...Isn't that spoiler completely unrelated to mission 5? I mean, I didn't know that and I've played mission 5.

Goddamnit.

man I feel I really need to think more about this. I guess I will just have to take more care when going through the game as Corvo (doing Emily high chaos right now)

Also the clockwork mansion without knowing about the side walls was bloody impossible.

JaseC

I call this piece "The Unconscious Musings of the Many".

20161201214154_10isqk.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
...Isn't that spoiler completely unrelated to mission 5? I mean, I didn't know that and I've played mission 5.

Goddamnit.

Didn't know what? It's my personal assumption based off of what Meagan says to you before and after the mission. Oh, and the
painting

Nothing spoiled.

OK. Considering turning this game off and maybe coming back at a later date.

I'm on a mission (early on) where one of the side objectives is to
Go to the black market and get a re-wiring tool

So I went to that location to buy that item and I couldn't find it on the shelves, so I ended up buying a couple of weapon upgrades instead, thinking the thing I need would just be given to me by the merchant as some kind of dialogue option. Anyway, I spent all of my 603 coins (excpet for 3) and then I realize the thing I need is actually on the shelf and I believe it cost 600 Gold (might be 60), either way, after looking around for a few more minutes, I realize, I've exhausted this area for resources, so I don't know how to collect enough money to afford it.

So, I did what any sane person would do and load my last save. The problem is I haven't been manually saving, so I only have two autosaves. My first one is from 8:52, the second is from 9:07. I look at the lock and think "The 9:07 one is probably right before I bought these other items, let's load up that save". I load up the save and it was from after I'd spent all my money, so I said "Screw it, I don't mind losing 15 minutes of progress, let's load up the 8:52 save", but the problem is now my two Autosaves are showing as 9:08 and 9:09, so there is no way I can go back to before I made those purchases, so I guess there is no way for me to get that tool.

Really frustrating. I've not been playing the game well anyway, so I might start over, but at this point, I'm pissed off and will probably play through Titanfall 2 and maybe the Last Guardian before coming back to it.

Anno

So I went to that location to buy that item and I couldn't find it on the shelves, so I ended up buying a couple of weapon upgrades instead, thinking the thing I need would just be given to me by the merchant as some kind of dialogue option. Anyway, I spent all of my 603 coins (excpet for 3) and then I realize the thing I need is actually on the shelf and I believe it cost 600 Gold (might be 60), either way, after looking around for a few more minutes, I realize, I've exhausted this area for resources, so I don't know how to collect enough money to afford it.

FWIW you don't remotely need to have that item. There are like 5 other ways around the issue that it could solve. Alternatively there's a puzzle in that same area to break into the black market and just take everything for free!

So, I did what any sane person would do and load my last save. The problem is I haven't been manually saving, so I only have two autosaves. My first one is from 8:52, the second is from 9:07. I look at the lock and think "The 9:07 one is probably right before I bought these other items, let's load up that save". I load up the save and it was from after I'd spent all my money, so I said "Screw it, I don't mind losing 15 minutes of progress, let's load up the 8:52 save", but the problem is now my two Autosaves are showing as 9:08 and 9:09, so there is no way I can go back to before I made those purchases, so I guess there is no way for me to get that tool.

Really frustrating. I've not been playing the game well anyway, so I might start over, but at this point, I'm pissed off and will probably play through Titanfall 2 and maybe the Last Guardian before coming back to it.

HINT: You don't need the rewire tool to get to where you need to go. There are a variety of different ways to get where you need to go. Buying the rewiring tool is an optional objective.

Titanfall 2 is a good call if you are looking for a game that will guide you more through it.

Top Bottom