• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

haveheart

Banned
I'm 8 hours in and just about to finish the clockwork mission. Damn this game is good.

This is probably the best level design I've ever seen. Gameplay is pure fun. I see myself quickloading so often since I really want to solve situations perfectly.

Really enjoying this game so far. Trying to play 1 mission a session but because of how I play this game its taking 2-3 hours each one lol. I basically try to be as stealthy as possible and kill as few people as I can and find all the runes etc. Well the stealthy things goes to shit a lot lol. Also many times I might get seen a second before I knock them out whcih results to lots of being spotted in the end results. But thats fine. I learned to let that go pretty quick.

Get some funny moments such as the below when Im tring to distract a guy so I can jump down and choke out both of them but the AI has different plans.

Q1jKWG.gif

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VWlunJRq4YM

I didnt reload, I just went with it lol.

FWIW you don't remotely need to have that item. There are like 5 other ways around the issue that it could solve. Alternatively there's a puzzle in that same area to break into the black market and just take everything for free!

Good to know. Maybe I'll put the disc back in tonight

shiba5

Mission 5 was probably one of the best in the series. Really intense. Working out the route to the top floor without powers was particularly gratifying.

I've just left the sewer for the next mission. Turned that first corner and NOPED out. After my nail biting escape from Mission 5, I decided to chill with a little WD2 instead. I'll give it a shot tonight, but that next section without powers/no kills/no alarms looks like it'll be tough.

Obviously I don't want spoilers but
does anyone else think the DLC might focus on Meagan? I assume so unless something changes. I'm guessing she lopped off her arm to get rid of the Mark...

She doesn't have the mark. One of Daud's powers is that he can share some of his powers with others. That's why the Whalers can teleport.

haveheart

Banned
Just finished the clockword mansion mission. Left me speechless, level design is so good.

Is it me or aren't rats as powerful as they were in D1?

Just finished the clockword mansion mission. Left me speechless, level design is so good.

Is it me or aren't rats as powerful as they were in D1?

Rat Plague was cured, so it makes sense that rats aren't as powerful as they used to be.

Now.... Bloodflies, those stingy fuckers give me a little anxiety every now and then.

Dishonored 2 won best action/adventure game at the Game Awards, how awesome!
I was gonna make a thread about that, but I'm on mobile atm. Would it be a problem if I asked you to do the thread on my behalf? :p

But seriously, I'm happy Dishonored 2 got an award. It deserves it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I was very surprised how it beat out both Hitman and Uncharted 4 in that category of all places lol

I'm happy though, it's my favourite game of the three.

chrixter

Yeah, that was quite surprising to see Dishonored 2 win that category. Congrats to Arkane.

Looking forward to more performance improvements and the December additions so I can jump back in for another playthrough.

Anno

Well deserved. Odd that it wasn't in GOTY consideration given who it was up against and beat here, though. It's GOTY in my heart, at least.

Carm

Twice now, in the past ten minutes, the game has hard locked my PS4 with a long delay before the crash message pops up. Both times in the exact same spot in mission 8
entering dukes bedroom
. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: finished mission 8. Either that was just a odd bug I could repeat or had something to do with going into that room before triggering some events that made that room active for the mission.

Doing Mission 5 (The
Conservatory
)... My total kills are zero. Then I non-lethally take out the main target, and now my total kills are 4...?

I checked some of my caches of unconscious bodies, and I've found the 4 people/
witches
(out of 20 non-lethal takedowns) who died. But why? Does that non-lethal method used on the main target also affect some others?

Edit: I moved the 4 who die into a different spot and shot their unconscious selves with sleep darts. They all still died after taking out the main target, but only one kill is showing up in my stats. Better than before, I guess. (And apparently this is a known bug and will be fixed in the next patch: https://twitter.com/Harvey1966/status/797707867365273601)

Also, it's bullshit how, even after knocking out all the guards, etc. more just happen to show up after taking down the main target.

I love the fact that non lethal assault is a viable option in this game (and even shows up on that graph at the end of missions). One of the problems with Dishonored 1 was the complete dearth of non lethal combat options and how stealth was the only viable way to do that.

I love the fact that non lethal assault is a viable option in this game (and even shows up on that graph at the end of missions). One of the problems with Dishonored 1 was the complete dearth of non lethal combat options and how stealth was the only viable way to do that.

Yep. You can play like Batman if you want to.

rdytoroll

Got the game at launch and finished it now weeks later, because I wanted to wait for a performance patch. Game still doesn't run all that great sadly. Finished it after 15 hours and got the low chaos ending with Emily. It's pretty much more of the same, but that's a good thing if you liked the first one. I was a bit underwhelmed with the ending.

I'll probably revisit the game in a time of drought, there's just too much stuff to play right now

Can you get rid of the "Bonecharm or rune nearby. Equip the heart" message? I tried turning off all of the HUD options but it still seemed to pop up.

EDIT: Also, why does the mission 3 status screen claim there should have been 12 runes in that mission? I picked up every rune, and it's saying I've only got 6/12. Does it count Emily and Corvo separately or something?

omfg... I feel so stupid.

I have all steam achievements, I've played through the game, like 5 or 6 times but only NOW, seriously only now did I realise that
the shopkeeper in the Royal Conservatory gives you a proper reward. I always assumed the ability to make master howler bolts was the reward for doing his side quest, I never looked down far enough to see he also deposited a bar of silver and another master blueprint RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I never saw it.

Maybe I do suck at this game....

Lijik

omfg... I feel so stupid.

I have all steam achievements, I've played through the game, like 5 or 6 times but only NOW, seriously only now did I realise that
the shopkeeper in the Royal Conservatory gives you a proper reward. I always assumed the ability to make master howler bolts was the reward for doing his side quest, I never looked down far enough to see he also deposited a bar of silver and another master blueprint RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I never saw it.

Maybe I do suck at this game....

If it makes you feel better I totally missed that the first time and only noticed because I kept reloading to a save right after finishing the quest while trying to figure out the dead witch bug

TitusTroy

is this a bug or am I doing something wrong...in Mission 4 at Jindosh's mansion there's an arc pylon in the Guest Area...I disabled it by removing the whale oil but it still keeps zapping and killing me...bug?

Ambitious

Just started playing this. I would like to get the best ending, but I don't want to restrict myself to a non-lethal playstyle. Any tips or advice? Should I just keep track of the global kill ratio in the stats menu and use non-lethal takedowns for a while whenever the ratio gets too high, or is there a better way of doing this?

Can you get rid of the "Bonecharm or rune nearby. Equip the heart" message? I tried turning off all of the HUD options but it still seemed to pop up.

EDIT: Also, why does the mission 3 status screen claim there should have been 12 runes in that mission? I picked up every rune, and it's saying I've only got 6/12. Does it count Emily and Corvo separately or something?

You can turn that off. It's called Information Message.

Kaswa101

Damn this game was awesome. Finished my lethal Emily playthrough and then my ghost Corvo playthrough, and wow. Easy GOTY contender for me. The non-lethal methods of eliminating the targets were all interesting and diverse, and I especially loved the way you deal with
the Duke of Serkonos
and
Kirin Jindosh
. Super entertaining stuff. :)

Really tempted to go back to D1 and ghost it, but I feel like it wouldn't be as fun. Overall I think I enjoyed my Corvo playthrough more but both characters were equally fun to play as. Ending was anti-climactic and abrupt but that's the only flaw for me, I think, aside from the obvious technical issues.

Didn't really like the
Royal Conservatory
level but the rest were spectacular. Crack in the Slab and Clockwork Mansion were exemplary examples of game design and they really stood out to me.

Overall a really great game for me. Deserved way more in sales and review scores imo. I wish it had more attention on GAF too. :p

As someone who put about 70 hours into the original, I hate to say it but I'm not feeling this at all. I don't know if performance issues on PC has soured me on the game but ive found it nothing but frustrating. The combat feels dreadful this time around. I actually think I hate this game. I genuinely cant believe it. I was so hyped, and I love the original so much but this is just...meh.

Goddamn this game is good. 10 hours in and I'm just now going into the Clockwork Mansion. Can't wait to replay as Corvo lethal as well.

You can turn that off. It's called Information Message.

Thanks, I'll try that one again.

As someone who put about 70 hours into the original, I hate to say it but I'm not feeling this at all. I don't know if performance issues on PC has soured me on the game but ive found it nothing but frustrating. The combat feels dreadful this time around. I actually think I hate this game. I genuinely cant believe it. I was so hyped, and I love the original so much but this is just...meh.

What don't you like about the combat?

I adore everything about the setting of this game. Karnaca is such a great mix of familiar architecture and grounding in reality, with more weird elements like the giant trees and wind chutes and occult undertones. I really hope this gets at least one expansion a la Knife of Dunwall, so much craft went into this city it would be a shame not to explore more of it.

Goddamn this game is good. 10 hours in and I'm just now going into the Clockwork Mansion. Can't wait to replay as Corvo lethal as well.

I can only speak from my perspective, but I really like the fact that guards don't fuck around even while playing with powers in higher difficulties (I'm on Hard). And the fact I can choke them in combat, throwing the guards while choking them, or doing slide assassinations against them.

cage_bliss.gif

Thanks, I'll try that one again.

Clockwork soldiers that can see you when facing away from you. Guards shooting at you from off screen while you're sword fighting with another one, you die in like 2 hits, the controls are awful and fiddly as fuck on keyboard at least (accessing the weapon wheel feels like shit)...maybe I'm just in a pissy mood, it just crashed again on me after reloading a checkpoint about 10 times cause of those fucking cuntbag robots, so I'm pretty sick of it by now, coupled with the shitty performance, I'm just pissed off with the entire game overall.

How many chapters are there? Almost done with 6, but with my OCD I feel like I haven't explored all areas, so I had to go back any make sure.

Hale-XF11

All I can say about mission 3 is that the non-lethal option felt more rewarding.

Good luck.

Thanks, that's good to know. Even up to this point it's been really rewarding just exploring everything there is to see. Feels so good to be back in this world again.

Chitown B

Love this game. But man is it buggy.

After reloading saves, guys who got startled in prior moments will all randomly get startled again. Sometimes the choke/kill button doesn't come up when near/behind a guy and you'll just put up your block. Game freezes and had to pull the plug on my Xbox One. After you play for a long time eventually the game save icons will just say "IMG" or be blank. You press the button to put someone down and if they touch a breakable object it breaks and counts as a kill. Etc....

Also I constantly hearing sounds in the game music like the "alerted" chime when there is no one alerted, so I'm always thinking someone saw me. And there is a weird metal sound when sneaking that randomly shows up and makes it sound like someone is near when no one is.

After reloading saves, guys who got startled in prior moments will all randomly get startled again. Sometimes the choke/kill button doesn't come up when near/behind a guy and you'll just put up your block. Game freezes and had to pull the plug on my Xbox One. After you play for a long time eventually the game save icons will just say "IMG" or be blank. You press the button to put someone down and if they touch a breakable object it breaks and counts as a kill. Etc....

Also I constantly hearing sounds in the game music like the "alerted" chime when there is no one alerted, so I'm always thinking someone saw me. And there is a weird metal sound when sneaking that randomly shows up and makes it sound like someone is near when no one is.

Even if a guard 2 blocks away notices the Wall of Light is down or notices someone is unconscious, it plays the sound and the lightning bolt appears. It's pretty frustrating the first playthrough but it doesn't really mean anything for your stats.

Also if you save while on a watchtower, even if you've removed the whale oil tank, the game gets confused and drops you to the ground when you load.

Like the poster above me said. Guards can notice if one of their fellow guards went missing or if the wall of light was turned off. Hell, in mission 3, one of the guards noticed that I stole a painting and they also can notice if a door was open when it was supposed to be closed in their patrol.

Chitown B

Even if a guard 2 blocks away notices the Wall of Light is down or notices someone is unconscious, it plays the sound and the lightning bolt appears. It's pretty frustrating the first playthrough but it doesn't really mean anything for your stats.

Also if you save while on a watchtower, even if you've removed the whale oil tank, the game gets confused and drops you to the ground when you load.

yeah the alert is a bug, but it's not because of noticing usually. It's just a bug.

And yeah I learned that watchtower thing the hard way today. OUCH.

seph1roth

At last..finished after 51 hours (yes I KNOW)

Hardest difficulty, no kills, no detections, NO POWERS.

Explored every corner of the game.

SIMPLY AMAZING

The level design is second to none, incredible, especially at missions 4 and 7, Kudos Arkane.

This is what Dishonored 1 should have been.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The most annoying bug I encountered was being detected when using Stop Time to non-lethally remove an enemy belonging to a group, which is also an issue in the original game. There is one specific area in the final mission where the bug is relentless -- it's impossible to run off with one of the enemies seated at the table without instantly being detected through the walls by the remaining two and the clockwork soldier watching over them. Some creative distraction work eventually allowed me to dispose of everybody without being detected, however there is no excuse for the bug still being present and I've no faith that Arkane will fix it.

At last..finished after 51 hours (yes I KNOW)

Hardest difficulty, no kills, no detections, NO POWERS.

Explored every corner of the game.

SIMPLY AMAZING

The level design is second to none, incredible, especially at missions 4 and 7, Kudos Arkane.

This is what Dishonored 1 should have been.

I don't think that makes sense. Dishonored 2 needed the feedback from Dishonored to be as good as it is, and it gives you more appreciation for how they fleshed-out characters like Sokolov, Emily, the Outsider, practically everyone, even Jessamine. And this way we have two Dishonored games instead of one.

Also the Daud theme playing when
Billie reveals herself is pretty great. If she isn't playable or a major character in the DLC I have no idea what they're doing.

If I'm chocking someone and they get shot by another enemy, does that count as a kill for me? Each mission I have 1 kill and I'm trying to figure out if that's it.

Top Bottom