• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

If I'm chocking someone and they get shot by another enemy, does that count as a kill for me? Each mission I have 1 kill and I'm trying to figure out if that's it.

Yes, I believe so. You can check your stats mid mission. I check mine pretty frequently, since I'm going for 100% non lethal...

EDIT: Beaten, didn't see there was a new page.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think that makes sense. Dishonored 2 needed the feedback from Dishonored to be as good as it is, and it gives you more appreciation for how they fleshed-out characters like Sokolov, Emily, the Outsider, practically everyone, even Jessamine. And this way we have two Dishonored games instead of one.

Also the Daud theme playing when
Billie reveals herself is pretty great. If she isn't playable or a major character in the DLC I have no idea what they're doing.

Yeah, there are a few instances throughout the game where Daud is presumed to be missing rather than dead, so I've no doubt that the DLC is once again going to involve him to at least some degree. I hope it's named The Other Side of the Coin, which was the original title of The Knife of Dunwall.

Curufinwe

I found the one that died, and she was in a safe spot with three other unconscious witches who remained alive after I flicked the switch.

I moved her to another area and she still ended up dead. What a nasty bug.

Chitown B

I found the one that died, and she was in a safe spot with three other unconscious witches who remained alive after I flicked the switch.

I moved her to another area and she still ended up dead. What a nasty bug.

I startled the witches outside standing on the statue with a bolt, and ran. That way they don't fall. Otherwise I just didn't choke out any witches at all, so when they went unconscious they didn't switch from unconscious to dead (I hear that's the bug).

Curufinwe

I was able to get around the glitch by shooting a sleep dart in the problem witch before activation.

That stopped her from dying.

One witch gets killed when I activate the Oraculum, ruining my clean hands playthru.

Anyone know how to prevent it?
The best thing that worked for me was activating that thing
with the changed lens
without touching anyone beforehand.

Doubt that's relevant, but still.

There's a lot I'm really enjoying about this game (I'm in the clockwork mansion currently). As I barely touched the original (I couldn't stand it for some reason) I've been really pleased with this, for the most part...

...with the exception of combat. I'm playing for high chaos (first run, so to make it easier and get into the rhythm of the game). But the combat is absolutely dreadful - it feels designed for one on one (which is always serviceable I guess) but any higher than that and it's a squishy-feeling clusterfuck where I get murdered in seconds, usually by the enemy i'm not currently parrying or blocking. It's a shame because I like everything else about the game.

There's a lot I'm really enjoying about this game (I'm in the clockwork mansion currently). As I barely touched the original (I couldn't stand it for some reason) I've been really pleased with this, for the most part...

...with the exception of combat. I'm playing for high chaos (first run, so to make it easier and get into the rhythm of the game). But the combat is absolutely dreadful - it feels designed for one on one (which is always serviceable I guess) but any higher than that and it's a squishy-feeling clusterfuck where I get murdered in seconds, usually by the enemy i'm not currently parrying or blocking. It's a shame because I like everything else about the game.

Hm, sounds like you maybe need to be utilizing powers more often. Relying on just your sword + gun is a good way to have a bad time with the combat in these games. Drop assassinations are always good (even in the middle of combat -- blink somewhere high and then immediately drop assassinate the enemy). Learn to use the sliding takedowns as well.

The rest will depend on what powers you've invested in. e.g., Domino is incredibly good against groups of enemies if you're Emily. Combining that with Shadow Walk and Doppleganger leads to some great fun.

Combat in D1 and D2 can be incredibly fun (even against multiple enemies) when you're creative and utilizing all the tools at your disposal. Might be worth watching some of StealthGamerBR's vids for some ideas. He's done one Dishonored 2 vid so far, but might also be worth checking out his Dishonored 1 vids.

Dishonored honestly has my all time favorite first person combat system.

Curufinwe

Emily's shadow kill ability makes combat a breeze once upgraded. You don't even need to be stealthed. Just turn it on when outnumbered and tear them apart.

Hm, sounds like you maybe need to be utilizing powers more often. Relying on just your sword + gun is a good way to have a bad time with the combat in these games. Drop assassinations are always good (even in the middle of combat -- blink somewhere high and then immediately drop assassinate the enemy). Learn to use the sliding takedowns as well.

The rest will depend on what powers you've invested in. e.g., Domino is incredibly good against groups of enemies if you're Emily. Combining that with Shadow Walk and Doppleganger leads to some great fun.

Combat in D1 and D2 can be incredibly fun (even against multiple enemies) when you're creative and utilizing all the tools at your disposal. Might be worth watching some of StealthGamerBR's vids for some ideas. He's done one Dishonored 2 vid so far, but might also be worth checking out his Dishonored 1 vids.

That probably is it - I'm playing as Corvo, and I tend to use Blink and Possession to get about. I think the game could do a better job of demonstrating this - the first thing I did (as one of the 'inexperienced' in the series) was the tutorial missions and they just give you basic movement and combat. It's a shame, because if I could get into the combat as much as the rest of it, I probably would have binged through the game by now. As it stands, I keep hitting brick walls where I find it best to switch the game off for a bit.

That probably is it - I'm playing as Corvo, and I tend to use Blink and Possession to get about. I think the game could do a better job of demonstrating this - the first thing I did (as one of the 'inexperienced' in the series) was the tutorial missions and they just give you basic movement and combat. It's a shame, because if I could get into the combat as much as the rest of it, I probably would have binged through the game by now. As it stands, I keep hitting brick walls where I find it best to switch the game off for a bit.

Gotcha, yeah, the game doesn't do a good job at teaching you the combat system at all. Since you're playing Corvo definitely check out some of StealthGamerBR's Dishonored 1 vids for some ideas, since I believe Corvo plays very similar between the two games.

d00d3n

One witch gets killed when I activate the Oraculum, ruining my clean hands playthru.

Anyone know how to prevent it?

Save your game before using the Oraculum, activate it, find the dead body (it is usually one of the enemies from the conservatory that ambush you earlier in the level), reload the save, go to the problematic body, shoot it with a sleep dart (even if it is the second time), and finally go back and activate the Oraculum with zero deaths,

Well, beat the game with Emily on a no kill/no spotted with powers run. It was fun (and at times frustrating) but I enjoyed it.

Now to do the Corvo murders everyone run. I think I enjoy Corvo's power set more though.

Bunga

I'm now part way through Chapter 5 and really, really enjoying the game. The Clockwork Mansion is one of the best designed levels I've played in a very long time, fantastic.

I have to say though I'm really struggling with staying undetected in this. It seems like the guards have eagle vision and their meters fill up super quick. In D1 it felt like as long as you were off ground level you were pretty safe from detection but in this...I never really feel hidden. I'm playing on the medium difficulty as Emily and yeah, any helpful tips guys? I know there is Dark Vision and I do have it unlocked but I don't want to be turning the whole world orange for large parts of my playthrough as the art in this game is so good.

Curufinwe

I'm now part way through Chapter 5 and really, really enjoying the game. The Clockwork Mansion is one of the best designed levels I've played in a very long time, fantastic.

I have to say though I'm really struggling with staying undetected in this. It seems like the guards have eagle vision and their meters fill up super quick. In D1 it felt like as long as you were off ground level you were pretty safe from detection but in this...I never really feel hidden. I'm playing on the medium difficulty as Emily and yeah, any helpful tips guys? I know there is Dark Vision and I do have it unlocked but I don't want to be turning the whole world orange for large parts of my playthrough as the art in this game is so good.

Her shadow kill ability helps a lot with stealth, if you're OK causing death.

I've managed to ghost and no kill up to the royal conservatory except for Addemire which two people ended up dead, not sure which ones tho. I'm not sure the best way to take out Clockworks but I managed to lure two of them onto Jindosh's walkway that you can raise and lower and dumped them into the river. I'm a genius.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You still want to stay on the high ground in this one too, though they'll usually see you at - for want of a better word - 'mezzanine' height.

When they're quite far away, the lightning symbol will pop, but it won't fill (or will fill but incredibly slowly). Just pull back.

They're is a tiny tiny tiny window once the symbol fills red (just before it 'pops' and they shout) where you can take someone out and it won't count as getting spotted. Not sure if it's a bug or whatever, but it saved my bacon multiple times.

If you're stuck in an area and there's a fuck ton of guards that seem impossible to get around, 9 times out of 10 there is another way in.

Bottles are your best friend. They don't go as far as you think, so overcompensate for best results. React quickly too; guards will look around once they reach the source. Bodies are great for distracting guards too.

Leaning is vital but can be risky. If a guard is close and looking directly at you, they can still see you. Pop your head out and draw back in quickly if someone is near.

Keep an eye on where the guards are facing. They can't see you if they're not looking at you, though watch out for their peripheral vision (pun intended!).

The big thing I found was that the more I err'd, the more often I got spotted, so you can be a little aggressive/confident in your path finding and taking opportunities; it generally pays off (it did for me).

I'm not sure the best way to take out Clockworks but I managed to lure two of them onto Jindosh's walkway that you can raise and lower and dumped them into the river. I'm a genius.

That is genius! :D

I think stun mines are usually the best route

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, thanks for taking the time. I will try some of that out for sure. I think I'm underusing my powers to be honest. Always seem to have fully stocked mana potions. Should maybe try chaining together Far Reach more quickly to nip across large distances.

No biggy. That could be the problem... to be fair, those should apply even without powers
I uh haven't played with powers yet #humblebrag

Seeing Dishonored 2 as 12 Deals of Christmas deal on UK PS Store got me thinking - which version should I get?

My options are PS4 version for 30GBP from the PS Store, or PC version from CDkeys, also priced at 30GBP. My PC specs: AMD FX 8370E, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB (note: I have no problems with playing it in 30fps on PC, as long as it's stable 30fps, and as long as I can play on Ultra/max details).

Dude, thanks for taking the time. I will try some of that out for sure. I think I'm underusing my powers to be honest. Always seem to have fully stocked mana potions. Should maybe try chaining together Far Reach more quickly to nip across large distances.

If you are doing a Corvo run.... Possession with all the upgrades could be a good choice if you want to sneak through on direct routes and not find other ways around.

With Emily, a good tactic is to upgrade her doppelganger to spawn and swap positions. You can combine this while far reaching to cover a ton of ground.

Bunga

Seeing Dishonored 2 as 12 Deals of Christmas deal on UK PS Store got me thinking - which version should I get?

My options are PS4 version for 30GBP from the PS Store, or PC version from CDkeys, also priced at 30GBP. My PC specs: AMD FX 8370E, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB (note: I have no problems with playing it in 30fps on PC, as long as it's stable 30fps, and as long as I can play on Ultra/max details).

I had the PC version and gave up on it mate. I could play at low/med details on locked 30fps using adaptive half-refresh vsync but doing so increased the load times by a good 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes). I think that might be fixed now though but I've been playing and really enjoying the PS4 version since I gave up on PC version.

Anno

It runs at a mostly locked (some mid-high 50s) on my 970, which I think is somewhat comparable to a 1060? That's on high across the board. Ultra doesn't look much better so I don't even know if it's worth it. Not sure about how the processor or the 8G of RAM might effect it though.

Mostly I can't imagine playing the game with a controller. Being able to switch abilities around so quickly with the keyboard seems pretty integral to the game, or at least how I play.

Bunga

Mostly I can't imagine playing the game with a controller. Being able to switch abilities around so quickly with the keyboard seems pretty integral to the game, or at least how I play.

It's not so bad. You can hotkey 4 things to the d-pad.

I spent far longer trying to figure out the Jindosh Lock last night than I'd like to admit...

I wanted to try and solve it without any hints or anything. I remembered doing logic puzzles very similar to that way back in High School, but couldn't remember the exact process. Ended up creating a spreadsheet, but apparently my table format was goofy so I continually ran into problems, or got close and realized I messed up like 20 steps back.

Looked it up this morning and I can see how it would have been a lot easier if I used one of the recommended tables people have made. Ah well, it was fun to try at least. (Someone needs to tell Jindosh that there's no security in obscurity, though...)

shiba5

If you are doing a Corvo run.... Possession with all the upgrades could be a good choice if you want to sneak through on direct routes and not find other ways around.

With Emily, a good tactic is to upgrade her doppelganger to spawn and swap positions. You can combine this while far reaching to cover a ton of ground.

Yeah, possession makes it incredibly easy. Possess guard, walk somewhere out of the way, choke out, rinse, repeat.

Curufinwe

Doing a clean hands run has really made me explore the enviroment a lot more than when I just killed every guard in the way as Emily. It's awesome to discover uses of blink that didn't seem possible on first consideration.

This game is the best, I froze time with Corvo, blinked on the dinner table that a few guards were eating at, ate all their food off their plates and placed a stun mine on one of their plates and blinked back up to the rafters and watch them all just get shocked to death lol.

Just finished the Convservatory. Great level but I kinda dont like how
All the witches get knocked out after you break the targets connection to the Void, is there something I missed that talked about this? Because it led to two unintended deaths that I didnt even notice until after I completed the level.

The level design in this is so damn good. Seriously some next level stuff in here.

All the witches get knocked out after you break the targets connection to the Void, is there something I missed that talked about this? Because it led to two unintended deaths that I didnt even notice until after I completed the level.

Huh, I didn't notice that because I knocked everybody out before doing that. If you're going for full non-lethal I recommend checking the stats section fairly frequently to avoid any accidental deaths ruining it.

Will0827

Was just shipped the limited edition of the game which was an impulse buy from a cyber Monday sale. Never having played the first and not knowing much about the series outside of some podcast I noticed that the first game was included as well, should I go straight to the second game which from what I heard in the podcast plays better and as two characters albeit one at a time. Or start from the series fresh from the first game.

Was just shipped the limited edition of the game which was an impulse buy from a cyber Monday sale. Never having played the first and not knowing much about the series outside of some podcast I noticed that the first game was included as well, should I go straight to the second game which from what I heard in the podcast plays better and as two characters albeit one at a time. Or start from the series fresh from the first game.
While you can go right into the second game I'd highly recommending doing the first game and it's DLC first.

It's a known bug. Supposedly will be patched on consoles... sometime this month. A dev's suggested workaround is to not knock out *any* of those affected until after you
sever Ashworth's connection to the void

It's a known bug. Supposedly will be patched on consoles... sometime this month. A dev's suggested workaround is to not knock out *any* of those affected until after you
sever Ashworth's connection to the void

Hmm, I thought it was just from the two sitting on the chandelier falling to their deaths after getting knocked out? Is that a glitch?

SJRB

Gold Member
Hmm, I thought it was just from the two sitting on the chandelier falling to their deaths after getting knocked out? Is that a glitch?

Stat screens are prone to bugs, unfortunately. It tallies deaths that never happened, will tell that you missed bonecharms even though you didn't, all sorts of weird stuff going on at times.

Was at Target and saw this and Rise of the Tomb Raider for 40. So for those that have played both, which one did you guys have more fun with? I know they are 2 different games but I still wanna know which yall prefered!

Top Bottom