• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Wanderer5

Was at Target and saw this and Rise of the Tomb Raider for 40. So for those that have played both, which one did you guys have more fun with? I know they are 2 different games but I still wanna know which yall prefered!

Have you played Dishonored 1 or previous Tomb Raider games?

Personally as a fan for both series, I feel like Dishonored 2 is more fun with its more gameplay variety and level design feeling more solid. Hell I also kind of feel that Dishonored 2 levels are more classic tomb raider ish than the TR reboot series in ways heh.

Have you played Dishonored 1 or previous Tomb Raider games?

Personally as a fan for both series, I feel like Dishonored 2 is more fun with its more gameplay variety and level design feeling more solid. Hell I also kind of feel that Dishonored 2 levels are more classic tomb raider ish than the TR reboot series in ways heh.

Yea I played a little bit of both games awhile ago but I dont remember much about either. But ok, I think Ill pick up Dishonored 2 then. Thank you, much appreciated :)

Thanks to you too Shiba5!

Clockwork Mansion should be a required play for any level designer going forward, the amount of work that had to go into that level is astounding, considering all the different possible playstyles and the two power sets.

jg4xchamp

Trying to get a clean hands run, got 2 kills don't remember when on my saves.

Can I beat the mission real quick, and restart it to get back to zero or do I have to start the entire playthrough all over again?

Uhhh I just accidentally solved the Jindosh riddle haha.

My thought process was
Set Winslow to the ring, give Finch the snuff tin because of her wild youth, Marcolla the diamond because her name sounds Karnacan.
then I started spinning the things because I had some dupes and it opened. Master assassin, solved in about two minutes.

My thought process was
Set Winslow to the ring, give Finch the snuff tin because of her wild youth, Marcolla the diamond because her name sounds Karnacan.
then I started spinning the things because I had some dupes and it opened. Master assassin, solved in about two minutes.

I'm not very good with riddles, I've only been able to figure it out by trying to match names with countries. The order changes every time, though it's always the same riddle so if you understand the logic of it, you can probably figure it out pretty easily each playthrough.

That christmas deal was so good that I caved and bought this. 35 euro's is a steal for a game that is not even 2 months old.

Started with Emily. So far, so good!

ghostwich

I spent far longer trying to figure out the Jindosh Lock last night than I'd like to admit...

I wanted to try and solve it without any hints or anything. I remembered doing logic puzzles very similar to that way back in High School, but couldn't remember the exact process. Ended up creating a spreadsheet, but apparently my table format was goofy so I continually ran into problems, or got close and realized I messed up like 20 steps back.

Looked it up this morning and I can see how it would have been a lot easier if I used one of the recommended tables people have made. Ah well, it was fun to try at least. (Someone needs to tell Jindosh that there's no security in obscurity, though...)

My thought process was

I'm not very good with riddles, I've only been able to figure it out by trying to match names with countries. The order changes every time, though it's always the same riddle so if you understand the logic of it, you can probably figure it out pretty easily each playthrough.

Logic grids are pretty useful, and since combination is generated for your playthrough, all you have to do is fill out the right bits and the answer should be a good series of logic:

http://www.jsingler.de/apps/logiklo...ne,absinthe)),ms:t,n:!(),nc:6,ni:5,p:!(),v:0)

Curufinwe

Clockwork Mansion should be a required play for any level designer going forward, the amount of work that had to go into that level is astounding, considering all the different possible playstyles and the two power sets.

Crack in the slab is good, too.

I had no idea there was going to be a third version of the house you could get to by knocking out Stilton.

Curufinwe

Trying to get a clean hands run, got 2 kills don't remember when on my saves.

Can I beat the mission real quick, and restart it to get back to zero or do I have to start the entire playthrough all over again?

I think you need to go back to a save before the kills showed up.

They are probably witches from level 5. See my posts on the previous page.

ghostwich

I had no idea there was going to be a third version of the house you could get to by knocking out Stilton.

Yes it went from the obligatory "you lost all your powers" trope to "wow you can do... that" kind of revelation.

And to think that (Titanfall 2 spoiler)
there were two games to utilize time travel in different ways in the same year
is pretty amazing.
And I generally HATE time travel.

shiba5

There are 4 versions of that house and that blows my mind - the dilapidated manor you first see, the one you see when you go back in time, the one you get if you knock out Stilton, and another one if you kill him.

Lijik

There are 4 versions of that house and that blows my mind - the dilapidated manor you first see, the one you see when you go back in time, the one you get if you knock out Stilton, and another one if you kill him.

Holy shit I had no idea about the fourth!! I guess hes getting offed in my current high chaos run. This mission just keeps blowing my mind

Curufinwe

I have a save just before I get to him, so I'll try that out.

Thanks!

Morts

I reloaded the last save of my Corvo high Chaos playthrough to
try seizing the throne without un-stonifying Emily. It's disappointing that it only changes half a sentence of the ending.

Also I still don't get
why simply touching Corvo/Emily's face is enough to un-statue them.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also I still don't get

tumblr_inline_n3l0zrmJxx1ricc1q.gif

Logic grids are pretty useful, and since combination is generated for your playthrough, all you have to do is fill out the right bits and the answer should be a good series of logic:

http://www.jsingler.de/apps/logiklo...ne,absinthe)),ms:t,n:!(),nc:6,ni:5,p:!(),v:0)

Funny thing was I was jotting stuff down on my pen and paper when I spun the remaining slots to get rid of duplicates and it unlocked.
Must have designed the lock after I ran some volts through him.
Clockwork soldiers don't count on overall kills and raise your chaos right?

Nope, they do count as spots though if you're ghosting. Nest Keepers (humans controlled by the bloodflies) count as kills like weepers did in the first game. I found it easier to navigate around all the clockworks than destroy them. You can use the mechanisms in the mansion to your advantage really nicely. It's a fantastic level in a game full of them. Though I'm only on chapter 6.

So I'm in The Crack in the Slab...

Do you lose your powers for the entire mission? The time travelling idea is great, but I see no good reason why they should be taking your powers from you...if they are gone the entire time that's a real bummer for me. I've spent time building up all these awesome powers I love only to have them taken away for a mission. ='(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So I'm in The Crack in the Slab...

Do you lose your powers for the entire mission? The time travelling idea is great, but I see no good reason why they should be taking your powers from you...if they are gone the entire time that's a real bummer for me. I've spent time building up all these awesome powers I love only to have them taken away for a mission. ='(
Yes.

:(

Anybody have any thoughts on why they would have done that? The only thing I can think is that they wanted you to rely on the time travelling to take out enemies rather than your powers. But I feel like you could have used the two together in awesome ways. And it seems kind of antithetical to Arkane's "play how you want" design philosophy.

From a pure gameplay perspective I also feel like Titanfall 2 did it better. From a world/story perspective Dishonored 2's version of the mechanic is definitely superior though.

EDIT:

Went through the rest of the mission and did enjoy it a lot, although I still wish they hadn't taken the powers from you. Some really cool stuff, though. Can't believe they actually made 3 versions of that level.

Also, Vincent D'Onofrio is perfect as the Duke. Such a great casting choice.

I reloaded the last save of my Corvo high Chaos playthrough to
try seizing the throne without un-stonifying Emily. It's disappointing that it only changes half a sentence of the ending.

Also I still don't get

Honestly the story is an embarrassing mess that doesn't even try to explain all of its plot/character threads. It's absolutely terrible in comparison to the original in that regard. Not to mention it's a shameless retreading of the Brigmore Witches DLC.

Did playing High Chaos make the game better?

Hale-XF11

Finished the game and got the Shadow and Clean Hands achievement while playing as Emily. Fun game, just like the first. The AI was more challenging in some ways, easier in others. I mostly relied on far reach, dark vision and domino/sleep darts to get me through the game. Those were the only powers I unlocked. Haven't even tried the other ones yet.

Now it's time to play as Corvo and go on a rampage.

SJRB

Gold Member
Vincent D'Onofrio is perfect, whoever casted him is a genius.

It also helps that he gives it 200%, as opposed to some other celeb voice actors who barely deliver 50. His rants over the intercom are always super enjoyable.

I hope he'll be in more videogames in the future.

I finished the game last night and loved it. I ended up with a low chaos ending that seemed rather dull compared to the ending I got at the end of the first game
Emily turns out to be evil
when the game promptly crashed my 360. the PS4 version of D2 didn't have any bugs that impeded my progress in any way though.

Had a hairy moment when, after one level, I was suddenly high chaos until I managed to get through the next level without killing anyone and that kept my chaos low for the rest of the game. A few times when I was choking out a guard, one of their comrades would kill them when attacking me so I'm guessing their deaths weren't down to me.

I'll hang on to the game and replay it as Corvo in a few years time. Just a quality thing all round.

yes D'Onofrio and Rosario Dawson where great. The voice actress for Emily (also great) was apparently on the crossover episode of Arrow last week but I can't remember her in it at all (at the wedding party?)

Morts

Honestly the story is an embarrassing mess that doesn't even try to explain all of its plot/character threads. It's absolutely terrible in comparison to the original in that regard. Not to mention it's a shameless retreading of the Brigmore Witches DLC.

Did playing High Chaos make the game better?

I didn't have any problem with the game despite the story being a mess so I can't say High Chaos was better or worse. I will say that slaughtering people with Corvo was fun but after playing Low Chaos with Emily I missed her powers pretty consistently.

Curufinwe

I keep being pleasantly surprised at how far Blink can get you. In mission 8

I was able to blink all the way to the top of the Place then go down a chimney/vent directly to where the fake Duke was. A completely different route than when I played as high chaos Emily.

High Chaos in A Crack in the Slab = FUN!

I've not had so much fun in a game in ages killing guards then transitioning back to normal timeline and watching their bewilderment through the timepiece.

Great stuff!

Vincent D'Onofrio is perfect, whoever casted him is a genius.

It also helps that he gives it 200%, as opposed to some other celeb voice actors who barely deliver 50. His rants over the intercom are always super enjoyable.

I hope he'll be in more videogames in the future.

Yeah, he really gets into the part. Celebrity voice actors often aren't the best choice (such a different type of performance) but he does such a great job.

I always made sure to pause everything I was doing when I heard "This is your Duke" come over the speakers.

Hale-XF11

So, I'm curious now to see if we get DLC. The ending I got showed
Billie Lurk looking towards a shadowy figure in the dark. Daud, perhaps? Can't remember what she said, but I think she may have eluded to going back to her old life as an assassin along side Daud or whomever that was.

Mr. Tibbs

Not as bad as Dark Messiah's story which is Arkane's nadir, but Dishonored 2's narrative certainly detracted from the universe the team built. By the end of the game, I hadn't discovered anything meaningful about Emily or Corvo, which is such a shame considering they were handled so well in the first game. They had no relationship, and the performances for main cast (npcs are mostly fine) were uniformly terrible.

Second only to Homefront: The Revolution as the worst story of 2016. :(

I've quite enjoyed the D2 story, personally. Some of the complaints I have are, I think, a side effect of having to essentially write two different versions of both of the main characters -- which also means you've somehow got to have NPC interactions with what can sort of be considered 4 possible main characters. Sounds like an incredibly hard problem to solve, and all things considered I think they did it pretty well.

Ultimately, though, I'm more into these games because of the atmosphere and world than I am the actual point by point plot anyway.

That depends. I think the story added some nice nuance to Sokolov in particular, but Emily and Corvo got left out. They have the exact same dialogue word-for-word in most situations, and since one of them gets turned into stone right at the start, they barely get to interact. They get their own development from conversations with some NPC's and in their journal, mainly that Corvo is old, jaded, and not the best mentor, and Emily realizing what a crummy leader she's been, but it really would have benefited from actually letting them interact. Have Delilah disable the character you don't use in some way that doesn't completely fridge them.

SJRB

Gold Member
Would it have been better if the heart you use was from the petrified person? I'm sure the loophole could be closed in a way that makes sense, with the Outsider and the Void or whatever.

That way there's still meaningful interaction throughout the game, and it's up to the player to decide how much they want to get involved [you know, because you have to use the heart yourself].

That depends. I think the story added some nice nuance to Sokolov in particular, but Emily and Corvo got left out. They have the exact same dialogue word-for-word in most situations, and since one of them gets turned into stone right at the start, they barely get to interact. They get their own development from conversations with some NPC's and in their journal, mainly that Corvo is old, jaded, and not the best mentor, and Emily realizing what a crummy leader she's been, but it really would have benefited from actually letting them interact. Have Delilah disable the character you don't use in some way that doesn't completely fridge them.

Yeah, having Emily and Corvo interact through the game would have helped a lot. Wouldn't have even needed a ton of dialogue between the two of them if it was written well, which would have helped with time/budget constraints...

By the way, Hound Pits Pub > Dreadful Wale, by a far mile.

Chitown B

Finished the game and got the Shadow and Clean Hands achievement while playing as Emily. Fun game, just like the first. The AI was more challenging in some ways, easier in others. I mostly relied on far reach, dark vision and domino/sleep darts to get me through the game. Those were the only powers I unlocked. Haven't even tried the other ones yet.

Now it's time to play as Corvo and go on a rampage.

I feel like you did that backwards. Corvo is the sneak, and Emily has a lot of powers that really make killing fun.

TitusTroy

why did they change out the voice actor who played the Outsider from the first game?...the actor/voice was much better in the first game...

I feel like you did that backwards. Corvo is the sneak, and Emily has a lot of powers that really make killing fun.

Nah, Emily's powers are a ton of fun for stealth/non-lethal. The Far Reach upgrade that grabs enemies, Shadow Walk, Domino, Doppleganger, and Mesmerize all work great for being non-lethal. I'm sure they're great for killing as well, but I found her really fun to play stealthy and non-lethal.

Top Bottom