• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Psykotik

you guys should try walking into the restroom at the party with one of the sisters in there and closing the door behind you.

ScOULaris

So how does the mission select work in this game? Can you go back and play previous missions with all of the powers that you've earned since then?

d00d3n

I'm completely stuck ... In the hideout area before the real missions.
What powers should I buy to get the most power gaming value early in the game?
Blink 2 and agility 1 needed for any serious exploration?
How much is closed of if I don't pick possession right away?
Is time stop needed for exploration or is it just a convenience to have?
Both levels of the vision enhancement power seem useful, but can you really afford them early in the game without locking yourself out of exploration opportunities?
I plan on sneaking and nokilling my way through the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm completely stuck ... In the hideout area before the real missions.
What powers should I buy to get the most power gaming value early in the game?
Blink 2 and agility 1 needed for any serious exploration?
How much is closed of if I don't pick possession right away?
Is time stop needed for exploration or is it just a convenience to have?
Both levels of the vision enhancement power seem useful, but can you really afford them early in the game without locking yourself out of exploration opportunities?
I plan on sneaking and nokilling my way through the game.
Bend Time is absolutely not needed, though it's my favorite power.

Blink 2 is the most key. Agility as well if you plan to do any climbing.

Dark Vision 1 is useful, but far more important than anything else you mentioned I'd say you need to get the Zoom upgrade (from Piero) which just costs money rather than runes.

Jack_AG

Banned
yup upgrading blink counts as using a rune.

im glad i didnt upgrade mine. i had doubts about doing so. got the mostly flesh and steel trophy at the end of my first playthrough.
The achievement says nothing about using a rune - it says "purchasing Supernatural powers or Enhancements (besides blink)"

Sooooo by reading that - it is OK to purchase Blink.

dmr87

So is this better than DXHR?

Loved DXHR and I'm enjoying Dishonored as well, but I like the atmosphere of DX more, true cyberpunk along with the audio-visuals, so good.

Both are awesome games but DX is just clicks more with my taste.

bitoriginal

Question: In the mission complete summary, I've not killed a soul or ever been detected, but 6 unconscious bodies were found - is this going to impact on any achievements I may get?

vazel

Banned
Arkane Studios sure likes whales..
No they don't! If they did they wouldn't be mercilessly butchered in the Dunwall universe. I hope the sequel has whale activists and having to find alternate forms of energy. One of the books does mention a whale activist.

d00d3n

Bend Time is absolutely not needed, though it's my favorite power.

Blink 2 is the most key. Agility as well if you plan to do any climbing.

Dark Vision 1 is useful, but far more important than anything else you mentioned I'd say you need to get the Zoom upgrade (from Piero) which just costs money rather than runes.

Thanks! So no possession does not close off exploration early in the game?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Thanks much appreciated!

I wouldnt say so. But it is useful for getting into locations via vents and such. That and it costs a lot of mana to use, so its not really something you would be shooting off left and right.

Ok misread that. Sorry.

While not exactly closes off things, it does make access to certain areas more difficult.

mxgt

Banned
Just finished it, loved it, definitely my GOTY so far.

Steam says 5 hours, but I had at least 8-10 in Offline mode before it officially unlocked in my region.

Finished with high chaos, next playthough will probably be all non-lethal to see the differences.

Salsa

TdNxV.png

d'awhhhh

Jack_AG

Banned
we really need confirmation on wether we can upgrade blink on the blink-only playthrough..
I'm reading elsewhere on the internets that people have tried both methods however only got the achievement when they did NOT upgrade blink.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow - I'm going to do a speed run without upgrading anything but weapons. It shouldn't be too bad since you can literally run by enemy faster than they can get on you. I might have to kill a few people for some keys but after 2 playthroughs I think I can get it all done in 5-6 hours.

Like the other guy said, it just lets you do optional infiltration methods, but you can still get to where you need to go - at least early on from what I can tell. Don't worry, there's plenty of runes in the first assasination mission alone that if you really want it you can get it without worrying.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just wanted to pop in and say. I love this game.
I particularily like how it makes you think.

Mission 1 Sidequest spoiler:
When you're getting the rat guts in the doctor's house, I searched every floor at least 4 times until I started thinking to myself: "If I was a strange doctor who do weird experiments, where would I hide my shit? Behind a painting? Maybe!"

I proceeded to check some paintings when I found the note about the bookshelf and then it was pretty obvious what I had to do

SJRB

Gold Member
Possession is the first thing I upgraded. It's amusing to mess with.

As far as I can tell there is no indicator as to how many time you got left while posessing something, right? It could lead to problematic situations so I hardly ever use it.

commissar

I just wanted to pop in and say. I love this game.
I particularily like how it makes you think.

Mission 1 Sidequest spoiler:
When you're getting the rat guts in the doctor's house, I searched every floor at least 4 times until I started thinking to myself: "If I was a strange doctor who do weird experiments, where would I hide my shit? Behind a painting? Maybe!"

I proceeded to check some paintings when I found the note about the bookshelf and then it was pretty obvious what I had to do

There's also some
grooves worn into the floor
:p

vidcons

Banned
Well, I beat it.

I really liked this game when it was like a big sandbox and it felt like there were tons of viable and unique ways to get into places. Then you get to The Twist and it turns in Chaos Theory corridor stealth.

First half is great, last half is subpar.

Had to turn on objective markers a lot in the end and check my journal a bazillion times to figure out the proper way to deal with the targets. Their original comment about players getting lost without the markers probably has more to due with the weaker level design near the end than testers being dumb.

Cool game, hope they put out editing tools so the TTLG people can go hog wild.

Had something annoying happen to me during the
Boyle sisters mission:

I sneaked up to the second floor to find out who was who, choked a few guards but I thought I remained undetected (maybe one of them saw me but he wasn't able to raise any alarms/alarm any other guards). So when I went downstairs again, all the other guards started attacking me. it didn't matter from where I came, as soon as I would go downstairs, was attacked. Pretty frustrating but I still managed to get the right Boyle sister to the creepy guy in the cellar without killing anyone by spamming time bend and using poison darts.

Game is really fun. I think I'm nearly finished. It did feel a bit short but that may be due me playing this all day :p

bitoriginal

So no one answered my question, is there any negative consequence of a body being found? I had 6 bodies found but still got ghost at the end of the first proper mission.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there a way to cancel out Blink once you're holding RT?

You can press the interact button. There's a tooltip that appears when you engage it. You can also cast it under your feet and it will cost nothing.

New players: bee line for agility I and Blink II. Traversal opens up so much more once you have both.

So no one answered my question, is there any negative consequence of a body being found? I had 6 bodies found but still got ghost at the end of the first proper mission.

Enemies will be on the prowl, which means their walking patterns will change. They'll be aware that someone is about, but qon't know where you are. This doesn't go away until you zone out. It's not like Metal Gear where they all have short memories.

If you're playing non lethal, hide bodies on roofs. If you're playing lethal, get shadow kill, and your problems will solve themselves.

Eusis

Had something annoying happen to me during the
Boyle sisters mission:

I sneaked up to the second floor to find out who was who, choked a few guards but I thought I remained undetected (maybe one of them saw me but he wasn't able to raise any alarms/alarm any other guards). So when I went downstairs again, all the other guards started attacking me. it didn't matter from where I came, as soon as I would go downstairs, was attacked. Pretty frustrating but I still managed to get the right Boyle sister to the creepy guy in the cellar without killing anyone by spamming time bend and using poison darts.

Game is really fun. I think I'm nearly finished. It did feel a bit short but that may be due me playing this all day :p
Yeah, the game freaks out at time. I was REALLY annoyed when in my replay the second mission (Campbell)
had the door ALWAYS open and them coming out prematurely. I wanted to screw around with the poisons and watching everything unfold, only for my only choices being to hunt down Campbell and kill him, or do the nonlethal route. I guess it's because in this playthrough I'd been slaughtering everyone anyway, and so I must've set them and those they were with on alert, but scripting kept anything from happening.

Also had an obnoxious case where I was trying to sneak up a stair case in the third mission and guards spawned right behind me and saw me instantly, forcing a brawl. Probably for similar reasons as above, and it did involve a somewhat amusing scenario with the target on the upper floor.
Talks up how he can kill the assailant himself but doesn't want to, yet opens the door while I'm peeking through the keyhole and gets instantly assassinated as a result.

RedSwirl

Do weepers count as alerts and kills?

Well, I beat it.

I really liked this game when it was like a big sandbox and it felt like there were tons of viable and unique ways to get into places. Then you get to The Twist and it turns in Chaos Theory corridor stealth.

First half is great, last half is subpar.

Had to turn on objective markers a lot in the end and check my journal a bazillion times to figure out the proper way to deal with the targets. Their original comment about players getting lost without the markers probably has more to due with the weaker level design near the end than testers being dumb.

Cool game, hope they put out editing tools so the TTLG people can go hog wild.

If Chaos Theory is what you people consisder to be "corridor" then that's good enough for me. Even that game was by far the least "corridor" Splinter Cell game.

ctrayne

Loved DXHR and I'm enjoying Dishonored as well, but I like the atmosphere of DX more, true cyberpunk along with the audio-visuals, so good.

Both are awesome games but DX is just clicks more with my taste.

I think this is how I feel, but I do love Dishonored's style quite a lot. Victorian-era jives with me.

Just got the Clean Hands achievement along with all the other cool passive/stealth/ghosty ones. Said playthrough also was Mostly Flesh and Steel, and I did NOT upgrade Blink to get the achievement.

thefil

Good to know I can't upgrade Blink. I did it on this run, but I can restart, only finished Cambpell.

Now that I've got a better feel for the stealth it shouldn't be as bad.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Beat the game yesterday. I liked it very much overall. Will definitely replay and try the no kill route eventhough I did my best to avoid killing. Guess I had a few here and there unintentionally. Or maybe I should just rampage through and kill every freaking NPC that I can and see what happens...hmm.

Axial

I'm going for the clean hands achievement and was wondering if killing River Krusts does count as 'lethal' at the end of a mission, can anybody confirm this?

RedSwirl

I
gave Slackjaw the combination to the safe, but AFTER I already opened the safe and took everything in it.
What happens?

Edit: Crap, it even says
"Robbed the Art Dealer's Safe"
under Special Actions.

Just beat the game. Very, very impressed. The story gets a bit predictable, but it certainly doesn't go "off the rails" like many reviewers intimated. I finished with Low chaos & enjoyed the ending.

I did have trouble getting into the game. I felt clumsy all through the first assassination mission & didn't care for the setting, but midway through the second mission it started to click. By the end of the third assasinantion I was loving it.

I've read through a few guides & am amazed by just how much content I missed. I never even met one *major* character who has multiple side quests. Incredible.

Right now this is my game of the year.

ironcreed

Banned
Just beat it. Had a good bit more to go than I thought after getting to the Flooded District. Got about 15 hours out of it and ended up with the Dunwall in Chaos ending. The very end was a bit lukewarm and was nothing mind blowing, but this is just one of those games that wraps everything up and gives full closure. Better than some lame cliffhanger for a change, I'll say that much. But it also makes it kind of hard to make a sequel as well, yet I am OK with that. I just can't wait to see what Arkane does next. Fantastic game that that will definitely get some replay from me.

Psykotik

i think i pretty much got the best ending i could get during my first playthrough.

are there just two endings or are there varying degrees to both the good and bad endings depending on what you do?

ironcreed

Banned
i think i pretty much got the best ending i could get during my first playthrough.

are there just two endings or are there varying degrees to both the good and bad endings depending on what you do?

I had high chaos, yet nothing bad happened. Everything wrapped up as it should have, if you ask me.
After I saved Emily and sent Havelock plunging to his death, she looked at me and said she was alright with me killing the others, she was going to have it done anyway, lol. If revenge is what you wanted, then it's a good ending in my mind. Fuck those traitorous scum.

Top Bottom