• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Many are reporting that Clean Hands does not unlock properly so I am keeping screens of every mission summary. I've read numerous complaints on all platforms of this.

Thanks. I went back and checked all my mission stats. Zero kills for any of them, so it must be glitched.
I tried letting him finish his speech and then tranquilizing him, I choked him out from behind while he was talking, I sneaked behind him and picked up the key and didn't even confront him before I let Emily out
- nothing got it to pop.

Re the heart:
do we ever get definitive proof that its Emily's mother's heart? It says something very suggestive if you point it a Duad, but I was wondering if there was anything else that definitely indicates that it's the heart of the assassinated Empress (besides the fact that it sounds exactly like her, lol).

Lusankya

this game is completely unforgiving. I'm playing on easy and I'm still having a hard time completing the missions. it took me over 15 tries to beat the first mission, the side mission with
granny rag
added another 10 tries. I hate the thugs who use those bottles to blow fire at you, the attack takes too much health.

I'm really enjoying it though, it's not the kind of game where I feel it's being unfair. it's challenging and you always feel like it's your fault when you die.

Maybe you should change your approach. When enemies see and attack you it means you're doing it wrong.

Derrick01

Banned
Would you say it reminds you of Thief or Deus Ex the most? Id say Thief personally.

The gameplay and level design is a lot like thief but the way secret stuff is handled is a lot like Deus Ex. Like one of the special ways you can take care of a target reminded me of something you'd accidentally discover in Deus Ex 1.

Hm.. replay value is very low if you do a "stealth run" at first. Normal combat is too easy on every difficulty. I'm on the second mission (second playthrough) and I'm already bored. No NG+ is also a problem. I'm overpowered nonetheless...why don't give me all the powers I've collected in my first run? It's not fun to start from the beginning again and lose everything.

KingKong

Playing this game made me really want to play Thief 4 but I haven't heard anything new about the game in forever

Maybe I'll replay Thief 1 and 2 with the new patch, I still think it's a much better stealth game than Dishonored

Am I fool for wanting to kill as few people as possible on hard on my first play through?

I'd love a stealth meter like the Thief games, still trying to get used to how the enemy AI works.

Hm.. replay value is very low if you do a "stealth run" at first. Normal combat is too easy on every difficulty. I'm on the second mission (second playthrough) and I'm already bored. No NG+ is also a problem. I'm overpowered nonetheless...why don't give me all the powers I've collected in my first run? It's not fun to start from the beginning again and lose everything.
I don't know how a NG+ would increase replay value here. It gives you more options to start with, but also serves to stunt any sense of progress throughout the game. Why not instead choose a different approach from the start and progress differently than you did the first time?

TheOddOne

I wish there was something built into the inventory that shows kills and detections. To find out at the end of the mission that you fumbled one little thing is really irritating.

Dennis

Banned
Am I fool for wanting to kill as few people as possible on hard on my first play through?

I'd love a stealth meter like the Thief games, still trying to get used to how the enemy AI works.

No, I do this as well. I kill as little as I can get away with. But I am not going to reload constantly either.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well it took me 6,5 hours but I finally finished the first assassination mission.

Also completed all optional missions, it was awesome all around. Tried to keep the kill count to a minimum but some seemed unavoidable at times. Some AI quirks though that broke immersion at key points during the mission, but still. Long time since I played a game that made me feel like a total badass. It's basically Assassin's Creed in first person mode, stalking the rooftops and whatnot.

I unlocked posession, which is great and proved to be essential to finish a particular sidemission. I also unlocked time slowdown but it's useless at the moment since guards can still see you move past. And since it takes like 8 runes to unlock the next tier I doubt I'll get to that anytime soon.

Blink tier 2 is awesome though, well worth unlocking at an early stage.

This game reminds me of Fallout 3 in a lot of ways. The music, the loot lying around, opressed atmosphere. And now I have to
go into the sewers to find some kind of infected zombie? What the fuck, I didn't sign up for scary shit.

epmode

After seeing comments about this game in a few different places, I'm glad that I can easily overlook graphics tech and appreciate the art. This game is gorgeous.

I'm actually looking forward to a second extremely lethal playthrough. I'm doing a stealth run on my first play through and it took a good couple of hours to get through the Overseer mission. I want to get the "good" ending first. The only time I used my gun was in the intro.

I can't wait go back and just smoke fools left and right for the fun of it. It's so tempting just to stab dudes everytime you are about to choke them out. The one thing that could have probably made this is better was having different stealth takedown animations like in Deus:Ex so the stealth part doesn't get so repetitive.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So is this better than DXHR?
Wish it was that clear-cut.

While comparable in some ways, I think it's best to just describe them as different, with different strengths and weakness.

The average moment of gameplay, involving the basic mechanics (traversal, combat, stealth) is probably more fun in this game. You also feel like a more capable assassin on the whole, which despite Jensen's biotech makes sense, because he's still not actually supernatural.

The graphics are a toss-up. Technically DXHR wins by a landslide. There are fewer odd animations in my experience so far though, and the art style is far more memorable in this.

The story is far more thought-provoking and fleshed out in DX; this has its charms however; I am a very big fan of the heart as an unusual storytelling device.

Where the games are most similar is when you come to a branch toward your goal and think, "okay, obviously I could go up around that building, or I could go through this grate, or I could stealth past those three guards, or I could murder them all." And then you pick your route and execute.

When the games are most dissimilar would be when you spot a guard from a rooftop 50 feet away, think, "yes, I'll be taking him out," Blink twice down to him, choke him, throw him over your shoulder and blink away. Nothing feels like that in DX. Even though you can punch through a wall and snap a guy's neck in that game, it's actually a scripted movie of you doing so, albeit a cool-looking one. Or from the other angle, DX's branching dialogue "boss fights;" nothing feels like that in this game.

Play and enjoy both.

Wish it was that clear-cut.

While comparable in some ways, I think it's best to just describe them as different, with different strengths and weakness.

The average moment of gameplay, involving the basic mechanics (traversal, combat, stealth) is probably more fun in this game. You also feel like a more capable assassin on the whole, which despite Jensen's biotech makes sense, because he's still not actually supernatural.

The graphics are a toss-up. Technically DXHR wins by a landslide. There are fewer odd animations in my experience so far though, and the art style is far more memorable in this.

The story is far more thought-provoking and fleshed out in DX; this has its charms however; I am a very big fan of the heart as an unusual storytelling device.

Where the games are most similar is when you come to a branch toward your goal and think, "okay, obviously I could go up around that building, or I could go through this grate, or I could stealth past those three guards, or I could murder them all." And then you pick your route and execute.

When the games are most dissimilar would be when you spot a guard from a rooftop 50 feet away, think, "yes, I'll be taking him out," Blink twice down to him, choke him, throw him over your shoulder and blink away. Nothing feels like that in DX. Even though you can punch through a wall and snap a guy's neck in that game, it's actually a scripted movie of you doing so, albeit a cool-looking one. Or from the other angle, DX's branching dialogue "boss fights;" nothing feels like that in this game.

Play and enjoy both.

I agree with the majority, except technically I don't think DXHR is technically better graphically. The painterly textures especially add to the beautiful palette of Dishonored. The character models look much better in Dishonored; maybe Jensen is the exception. There's something absolutely beautiful about Dishonored; though Deus Ex does some great things I think it is a bit flat visually. Though I ran the game last night using SweetFX and it improved it significantly.

Either way, both games have profound strengths, and some varying weaknesses. Both are impressive as hell, and worth playing. Right now, Dishonored wins out with the almost Thief-like approach to many of the levels and design.

Play and enjoy both.

THAT was my main problem with DXHR. I hated how it kept taking control from me to knock someone out or kill someone for me. Dishonored was great like that: I could choke someone out myself, then hide the body (also, I didn't realize that you can actually move while choking someone out). Deus Ex didn't offer that.

Also, play and enjoy both.

It depends on which setting you like more.

If you prefer steampunk Dishonored(magic) is for you, if you prefer cyberpunk then DXHR(tech).

Personally I thought Dishonored was better balanced for both aggressive and stealth play throughs where as DXHR felt heavily balanced for stealth and was extremely punishing to play aggressively. The stories for both are derivative and cliche'

If you only had to choose one Dishonored.

As much as people say both games are design to be stealth oriented, Blink alone makes Dishonored more open. I also think the setting and world lends itself to more fantasy like powers, which from a gameplay perspective is more fun to play with.

KyleN

Banned
I just love this screenshot for some reason. Dont know why...
iQTFCg29kgEN2.png

Jack_AG

Banned
OK so I'm a little bit pissed... just beat my second playthrough and went for 2 trophies:
Clean Hands
Mostly Flesh and Steel

I got Clean Hands but NOT Mostly Flesh and Steel... WTF?

I didn't purchase any Supernatural powers or Enhancements other than Blink (as is allowed). Fuck... I didn't even collect more than 3 runes for the Blink upgrade - I avoided them all except for the Bones...

I did upgrade my crossbow and boots tho - since the Achievement says nothing about weapon upgrades.

Did the update to Blink screw me? The achievement says "except blink"... WTF?

OK so I'm a little bit pissed... just beat my second playthrough and went for 2 trophies:
Clean Hands
Mostly Flesh and Steel

I didn't purchase any Supernatural powers or Enhancements other than Blink (as is allowed). Fuck... I didn't even collect more than 3 runes for the Blink upgrade - I avoided them all except for the Bones...

I did upgrade my crossbow and boots tho - since the Achievement says nothing about weapon upgrades.

I'd guess that upgrading Blink was your issue. The first level is given to you, but you have to purchase the second. Other than that, not sure what it could be.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'd guess that upgrading Blink was your issue. The first level is given to you, but you have to purchase the second. Other than that, not sure what it could be.
OK so I just looked at a walkthrough (hate doing that) and yep - its the blink upgrade that does this, fml.

Of course - the achievement excludes blink but you can't upgrade it. Such vague bullshit. That shit needs to be clarified "besides blink" means just that - anything BUT blink but oh no - blink is also included.

Time for a 3rd playthrough.

Psykotik

Clean Hands
Mostly Flesh and Steel

yup upgrading blink counts as using a rune.

im glad i didnt upgrade mine. i had doubts about doing so. got the mostly flesh and steel trophy at the end of my first playthrough.

OK so I just looked at a walkthrough (hate doing that) and yep - its the blink upgrade that does this, fml.

Of course - the achievement excludes blink but you can't upgrade it. Such vague bullshit. That shit needs to be clarified "besides blink" means just that - anything BUT blink but oh no - blink is also included.

Time for a 3rd playthrough.

That's good to know then, I may have made the same mistake in my attempt.

Yea, this game looks fucking amazing!

Top Bottom