• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat it after 13 hours--got the "low chaos" ending and achievement.

I really enjoyed the game. There were a ton of memorable sections, and the world they created was a joy to explore.

Some downsides were that they didn't really flesh out the characters very well. I found a lot of the characters to be very interesting, but they just didn't give them enough screen time or chances to talk. I'm also kind of disappointed that a lot of the more interesting things about the world were contained to paintings and books, and we didn't really get to see a lot of the crazy shit that makes the Dishonored world what it is. Still a great setting for a game, though.

Gameplay-wise, I found the systems to be a lot more basic than I expected them to be. They really nailed movement, which felt good, but if you were going a non-lethal route the game got a bit monotonous and it didn't help that the AI was really quite dumb and inattentive.

I have a feeling I will enjoy the game more if I went in and didn't care about killing people, but they had to add the chaos system, which really swayed me in the non-lethal direction.

Oh well, for another play through!

Definitely one of my favorite games of the year, but I disagree with a lot of the people saying this is the best stealth game since Thief 2. I think Deus Ex: HR still has this beat when it comes to this type of game for this generation.

Now, on to X-COM! I may start up a lethal playthrough sooner than later, though.

I had high chaos, yet nothing bad happened. Everything wrapped up as it should have, if you ask me.
After I saved Emily and sent Havelock plunging to his death, she looked at me and said she was alright with me killing the others, she was going to have it done anyway, lol. If revenge is what you wanted, then it's a good ending in my mind. Fuck those traitorous scum.

did emily become a wise ruler and bury you with her mother at the end? I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't much difference other than chaos between the different choices.
It kinda makes me wish i had just killed everyone

Salsa

I had high chaos, yet nothing bad happened. Everything wrapped up as it should have, if you ask me.
After I saved Emily and sent Havelock plunging to his death, she looked at me and said she was alright with me killing the others, she was going to have it done anyway, lol. If revenge is what you wanted, then it's a good ending in my mind. Fuck those traitorous scum.

it got
pretty fucking dark
before that with high chaos though. When
she was talking about murdering everyone and having boats crash into each other for the sake of it while drawing demonic stuff

not sure how I felt about that, it was certainly a huge character leap. Nothing was really making me think she was heading towards that

Psykotik

in my first playthrough, the only target i killed (via poison) was campbell. other targets got the non lethal treatment.

from what i can remeber, my ending was: low chaos,
everybody who was good was alive and well, plague was cured?, weepers got better, people celebrating at the bar, i eventually die of old age and emily grew up to be a good empress and had me buried as a hero at the place where her mother got killed
. something like that.

ironcreed

Banned
did emily become a wise ruler and bury you with her mother at the end? I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't much difference other than chaos between the different choices.
It kinda makes me wish i had just killed everyone

It showed a scene with an older Emily at Corvo's grave and The Outsider was saying that it was not just a matter of her ascending to the throne on a pile of corpses, but that it was a cruel world.
I was actually alright with that. It's closure to a great game. I saved Emily and got revenge on a bunch of assholes.

ironcreed

Banned
it got
pretty fucking dark
before that with high chaos though. When
she was talking about murdering everyone and having boats crash into each other for the sake of it while drawing demonic stuff

not sure how I felt about that, it was certainly a huge character leap. Nothing was really making me think she was heading towards that

Yeah, I recall that right before
Corvo got poisoned. Yes, it made me feel like a bad influence. But I still felt like justice was done in the end. The Outsider explained that it was not a matter of Emily ascending to the throne on a pile of corpses, but that it was a hard world.
I actually felt like I did what needed to be done, and besides, I could not resist using those abilities.

ZoddGutts

So is this better than DXHR?

Fuck yeah it is. Better combat, better stealth, the blink system alone puts it above DXHR. Lack of shitty bosses and also better level design in this game. And this is coming from someone that really liked DXHR.

Salsa

yeah. Cyberpunk's my one true love but this game surpsasses Deus Ex HR in core gameplay and art direction (let it be known that I thought the art in that game was also fantastic, so just a matter of personal preference, and it's close)

they're hard to compare though. This game is barely an FPS if at all, as opposed to HR where you had much more of an arsenal, etc

Deus Ex also had more memorable music. Dexter guy was serviceable here, no particular piece stood out

Akai

I actually felt like I did what needed to be done, and besides, I could not resist using those abilities.

I believe that the concept of "temptation" is a huge theme that was played out very well throughout the game, with so many segments that appear to have been designed to tempt you into lashing out. It took a lot of willpower to go the non-lethal route on many occasions...

Riposte

Deus Ex also had more memorable music. Dexter guy was serviceable here, no particular piece stood out

Both Human Revolution and Dishonored have very dull ambient music, outside a few pieces which plays at certain moments. For Dishonored, it is the piano theme which plays when the boat docks somewhere.

Salsa

Both Human Revolution and Dishonored have very dull ambient music, outside a few pieces which plays at certain moments. For Dishonored, it is the piano theme which plays when the boat docks somewhere.

yeah the music in deus ex isnt the best or anything, but there's a couple of pieces that are still in my head (and the main theme is great), cant say the same about Dishonored really

ironcreed

Banned
I believe that the concept of "temptation" is a huge theme that was played out very well throughout the game, with so many segments that appear to have been designed to tempt you into lashing out. It took a lot of willpower to go the non-lethal route on many occasions...

It did indeed.
Corvo really got the shit end of the stick. Let's just say that the game is aptly named. If you did not want revenge in the first half, you really did after the second betrayal and learning that Emily is Corvo's daughter.
Go non-lethal my ass, lol. But in all seriousness, I look forward to trying to go as low chaos as possible and getting better at stealth.

There's no reason not to kill your targets though. As long as you avoid killing guards and the rest your chaos will still be low
and it doesn't seem to make any difference on the ending

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have a feeling I will enjoy the game more if I went in and didn't care about killing people, but they had to add the chaos system, which really swayed me in the non-lethal direction.
Despite what it says on the tutorial box, you can get tons of kills and still get low chaos as long as the bodies aren't found and you use the nonlethal solutions on the main targets. I have a huge bodycount and haven't gotten higher than low chaos on anything other than the prison. Shadow Kill is essential if you want to play lethal stealth.

Akai

There's no reason not to kill your targets though. As long as you avoid killing guards and the rest your chaos will still be low
and it doesn't seem to make any difference on the ending

How about not killing them because you just don't want to? Or does there have to a reward for doing what you feel is the right thing to do? I wanted to play in a completely non-lethal manner, and I loved how the game tried to get me to play against that...

masud

Banned
I don't understand how you guys can do no kill runs. This game makes murder so much fun. I don't only use stealth to explore the lvls and find more interesting ways to kill people.

Mik2121

I don't understand how you guys can do no kill runs. This game makes murder so much fun. I don't only use stealth to explore the lvls and find more interesting ways to kill people.

I do all stealth and no kills. I still knock out all the enemies I can, even when I have to get out of the way. I will leave the agressive run for my second play through :p

Playing all stealthy and with no kills is also fun on it's own way. You have to take a lot of care and watch around for enemies that are not there just at that time, but enemies that might show up a few seconds later and also thinking about where to place the bodies (though there are a lot of places so that's not that big of a deal).

beastmode

Campbell and Curnow
won't come out. Harvey Smith tells me it's glitched.

9.4 hours in and I haven't even completed the second mission. Pls don't make me lose my shit. :(

MisterC20XX

Damn, I'm loving messing around and exploring the environment! Even with it's limitations the "heart of a living thing" is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a game for helping the player explore and understand the story, character backgrounds, environment and so on.

I'm trying to shoot for the best ending by keeping to non-lethal and low chaos as much as possible... but am I right to assume that there is no "happy ending" of which to speak?

So I finished it. 12 hours with having replayed the first 3 missions entirely to do all the side stuff I missed. I guess it's going to fall into that category of games where people on forums take way longer than I do and then tell me I'm playing it wrong in spite of the fact that I found every rune, bone charm and painting and did as much of the side stuff as I possibly could (and redid 3 of the missions entirely).

beastmode

So
Campbell and Curnow won't come out from the door unless you free Martin beforehand.
So much for freedom. :(

Took me 10 hrs from the start of the game to the end of mission 2.

Some downsides were that they didn't really flesh out the characters very well. I found a lot of the characters to be very interesting, but they just didn't give them enough screen time or chances to talk. I'm also kind of disappointed that a lot of the more interesting things about the world were contained to paintings and books, and we didn't really get to see a lot of the crazy shit that makes the Dishonored world what it is. Still a great setting for a game, though....

I just came here to post this. Mind you I haven't finished the game, but I've put about 13 hours into it so far and have completed the first two assasination missions. Gameplay-wise, if you are trying to be a stealthy assasain it's excellent. A lot of the other stuff feels like window dressing so far.

I'm kind of starting to feel like they squandered the setting and a chance to tell a great revenge story. I want to preface this by saying I'm really, really enjoying the game, but outside of the opening act, I'm really not feeling the motivation for the character story-wise.

These characters we are going to kill should feel like vile bastards to the point where we question whether or not we should go lethal or non-lethal. They make great strides at giving you the option of doling out poetic justice, but when I know nothing about the villians it comes off as hollow. I'm not asking for Metal Gear style exposition, but at least show show me why these guys are evil bastards, so I actually care about going through the process of doing the non-lethal shaming thing. A random psa over the game-world's loud speaker is not fulfilling.

It doesn't even have to be in gameplay. Give me some satisfaction when I spend three or four hours completing a mission perfectly. Give me like an animated cutscene where I feel like the shit I did mattered. As is it stands, I'm still going to go non-lethal. It just seems like it doesn't even matter if I kill them outright or jump through 13 hoops to get the poetic ending of the mission.

Again, great game gameplay-wise, but the story seems squandered so far. It almost seems like it would be more fun to speed run it.

Lastly, holy fuck , again great game, but I want to smoke what the guy on Weekend Confirmed was smoking. I don't know what his name was, but he basically said he stopped playing stealthy because he was so upset about how Emily was treated by these villians and that he was so angry he wanted to kill them. He droned on and on about how he had developed an emotional connection because he played hide and seek in the tutorial.

Really? Again, I don't want to talk shit about a game I'm enjoying at the moment, but, god damn, I should feel like the Count of Monte Cristo at this point. Great game, shitty story telling. Yes, I'm calling out audio logs. They suck. Come at me.

This is falling into Deus:Ex HR territory for me. Fun gameplay, great presentation, but absolutely shallow when it comes to anything revolving around a story. And I even make it a point to talk to all the characters between missions, stroke the heart, and play the stupid "Bioshock" audio logs.

So I finished it. 12 hours with having replayed the first 3 missions entirely to do all the side stuff I missed. I guess it's going to fall into that category of games where people on forums take way longer than I do and then tell me I'm playing it wrong in spite of the fact that I found every rune, bone charm and painting and did as much of the side stuff as I possibly could (and redid 3 of the missions entirely).

No, your fine. I am one of the biggest fan of this game on the forums and I spent between 10-12 hours on my first playthrough and it was sublime. I'm working my way through a 3rd one myself and am loving it. This is a game that begs to be replayed and rightfully so. But this is a short game no matter which way you cut it. It's not bad, it's just not a long game. I had a talk with one of my buddies the other night, whom said it was two games fighting for the same title. It's a halfway stealth game, and an halfway action title. It's not Perfect in either way you go, if was a full stealth game, it'd be short a couple of features and vice versa a full on action title. But, the level design and art is so strong, that it can be a great experience, even if it isn't fully realized in either genre.

Hands down the best single player game of the lat 2 years. It is an example of how game should strive to be. It just has a few niggling issues that I hope will be addressed in the next game, wether it's a sequel or game set in the same universe/world.

Salsa

nothing wrong with putting 12 hours. When I made a comment about people playing it on a "boring manner" I was refering more towards the 6 hour crowd. You're just robbing yourself out of a great enjoyable experience at that point.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, to avoid killing, dogs may only be put to sleep, or avoided altogether? And you also can't just get rid of their boss because then it counts as the dog having discovered the body even though nobody else is alerted? Or did I fuck up elsewhere in the mission?

I'm trying to milk the game for everything it's worth, but how the hell do some of you have 10+ hours just two assassinations in? Are you redoing the missions?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm trying to milk the game for everything it's worth, but how the hell do some of you have 10+ hours just two assassinations in? Are you redoing the missions?

My first playthrough was 20 hours, but my second was only 8. Non-lethal ends up being a LOT longer than lethal. Playing stealth lethal with shadow kill automatically shortens the game to a great degree.

Having played through both now, I will say that it's worth playing both. A significant amount of story points change within the game depending on your chaos level. The last mission changes quite a bit based on chaos.

mik83kuu

Banned
Second playthrough done and I feel like I got robbed out of two achievements. Every mission I completed I had the checkboxes ticked for not being seen and not killing anyone yet I got neither of thise achievements. People on the interwebs report similar stories. This happened to me with Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well so I guess next time I pick up a similar game I won't even bother. I had fun though so it's not all bad ;-)

I was disappointed that the low and high chaos paths were so similar in structure and the differences were minor ar best. I would have hoped that
you don't get betrayed in the low chaos ending. In high chaos they even say it was the only option with all the killings. Also it felt out of place that they said they would turn in my body since I killed the empress yet I had just blasted the Spy Master's confession in all the city's speakers an hour ago.

beastmode

The 2nd mission is actually the first assassination. :p

-Hard
-No tutorial popups
-No objective waypoints
-No bone charm/rune waypoints
-Contextual HUD
-Frequent kill cam
-50% reticule
-Sidemissions
-Skimming all the books
-Going through everyone's dialogue
-Listening to all the audiographs
-Using the Heart on almost everyone I can
-Killing everyone the Heart deems unworthy (lol)
-Reloading often after encounters when I think of something fun to try
-Searching every nook and cranny (still not getting 100% of everything, though)
-Alt+tabbing out with the game paused occasionally
-
Some dumb linear scripting: Curnow and Campbell won't enter the room with the poisoned wine until you free Martin. I didn't see the lever beside him. Looked around but couldn't find it elsewhere so I moved on and forgot about him.

-BLITZ-

You're close to the end. You have one more mission after where you are. The last mission is a lot of fun, too.

It's not bad at all. It has resolution, and there are no loose ends. It's not a FANTASTIC ending, but it serves its purpose.

It's done and I must say it was the most easiest mission from the game if this one didn't had any side missions. I took me more time of learning what paths I want to choose and what kind of strategic stealth moves I want to do in the second mission after I got out from the prision than this one. The reason could come from the fact that back then I didn't all the powers and none of them were at least level II. I didn't both or choose to have Vision and turning enemies into ash because it would made the game much easier. I don't see the reason of having their view path if I already can side on every corner and see them doing something. In the last two missions I notice that if you take a pack of guards set in one place, others will spawn out through doors and take their places, but they aren't set to come to an infinite as I took a battle just to find out if the game rolls like that, although 20 of them were dead around me.

Now that I've done everything without killing any main characters and end up with good ending with couple of unfortunate consequences by accidentally killing few of them, now I'm taking the game all over again to do the things right because is just giving you so many reasons to replay it and I'm going to take the game one step at a time with everything. One of the games that didn't put me to rush the things up is like repeating Bioshock many times.

Hey, who manage to unlock all the safes excluding the first safe encountered without knowing the code because to the first one I didn't manage to understand to what the paper refers to WISKEY, I didn't see any clues so I moved on, but then I found out that you can hack it throw tree numbers in couple of minutes if the number lock begins with the 1 2 or at least 4.

2-3 hours in now and yeah, I'm feeling conflicted. It's fucking awesome, but I feel that a lot of the fun comes from forcing situations in which you can mess about creatively with the game's systems (e.g. possessing guards and positioning them in front of their gunshots, etc), rather than being a "good" assassin.

Enco

I finished the first 2 and am at 8 hours.

Turn off objective markers and find your own way. Explore and do side objectives.

Markers will probably cut down your play time by a lot.

Anyone else feel that the [ending spoilers]
low chaos ending is really... abrupt?

Like, you open the door, Emily says "Yay Corvo it's you woohoo! Will I be Empress?" *fade to black* Nothing nearly as elaborate or dramatic as the violent ending.

Eusis

Anyone else feel that the [ending spoilers]
low chaos ending is really... abrupt?

Like, you open the door, Emily says "Yay Corvo it's you woohoo! Will I be Empress?" *fade to black* Nothing nearly as elaborate or dramatic as the violent ending.
Yeah, the finale(s) for high chaos is a lot more satisfying narratively. I actually kind of feel like
Emily dies
is the most appropriate way to end the game;
you play the noble royal protector and fail to save the Empress, then you become a dark assassin and STILL fail to save the Empress. Doubly worse when you factor in the heavy implications he's really the father of Emily, so it's one man succeeding at everything but saving his family
. You also get a bit more closure in high chaos, given
you witness Martin and Treavor's final moments, rather than just seeing them slumped over a table poisoned as if they needed to be hastely written out.

Top Bottom