• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

beastmode

I'm confused. I got an audiograph off
Slackjaw's dead man, but now Slackjaw has completely disappeared and his quest is gone. What is going on?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Slackjaw's dead man, but now Slackjaw has completely disappeared and his quest is gone. What is going on?

When you return
he's not at the usual desk, but near the front of the distillery on the inside, usually pacing around looking over the rail.

Eusis

He decided to head somewhere else.
He's near the entrance to the Distillery Building, take the first right as you're coming in.

Yeah, the finale(s) for high chaos is a lot more satisfying narratively. I actually kind of feel like
Emily dies
is the most appropriate way to end the game;
you play the noble royal protector and fail to save the Empress, then you become a dark assassin and STILL fail to save the Empress. Doubly worse when you factor in the heavy implications he's really the father of Emily, so it's one man succeeding at everything but saving his family
. You also get a bit more closure in high chaos, given
you witness Martin and Treavor's final moments, rather than just seeing them slumped over a table poisoned as if they needed to be hastely written out.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I was sort of annoyed at the
nonlethal payoff. Being a "good" guy shouldn't make Corvo exempt from a narrative arc.

MisterC20XX

I just spent the last five hours exploring every square inch of mission three. This game is not short if you like to explore levels, hunt for hidden items, experiment with traversal, read the lore in in-game books and so forth. I'm playing high chaos so everybody died except for
the two prostitutes slow dancing in the lobby at the Golden Cat
which seemed appropriate. I can't wait to replay it and attempt a no-kill playthrough.

Just finished my low chaos no quickload/save/live with the consequences of messing up playthrough. Tried to play as non-lethally as possible, but things certainly got a bit heated once I got discovered during the last two missions. Had to kill a bunch of guys just to clear the level.

Amazing game, and I can't wait for DLC, for once. Usually I just don't care at all but this game has such a great toolset that it would do well with new missions. I just wish there was some editor/mod support so people could make their own missions :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are there side quests in this game in addition to the main missions?

Yes. You will often be granted optional side objectives during missions alongside the primarily objective. Most of these will take you to other areas of a map you'd otherwise miss.

krishian

Just finished my low chaos no quickload/save/live with the consequences of messing up playthrough. Tried to play as non-lethally as possible, but things certainly got a bit heated once I got discovered during the last two missions. Had to kill a bunch of guys just to clear the level.

Amazing game, and I can't wait for DLC, for once. Usually I just don't care at all but this game has such a great toolset that it would do well with new missions. I just wish there was some editor/mod support so people could make their own missions :(
What could they do for DLC though? Corvo didn't have powers before the start of the game, they can't really force anything in the middle considering how fast everything happened in-game (wasn't it only a couple of days?) and the end wraps everything up.

What could they do for DLC though? Corvo didn't have powers before the start of the game, they can't really force anything in the middle considering how fast everything happened in-game (wasn't it only a couple of days?) and the end wraps everything up.

All I know is that the tooltip says Shift for downloadable content in the PC version.

EatChildren

I was thinking the same thing, but the lore does imply that
the Outsider is in contact and influences many other people. You could have some missions showing Daud's life as an assassin, including a mission where you must kill the Empress.

Ken

Yes. You will often be granted optional side objectives during missions alongside the primarily objective. Most of these will take you to other areas of a map you'd otherwise miss.

Yes. They are mandatory if you want to get the most out of the game.

Are they kind of meaty/interesting quests or are they just "go collect x of these?"

And by side quests I mean just picking up quests from random NPCs not related to the main mission as well.

EatChildren

Are they kind of meaty/interesting quests or are they just "go collect x of these?"

And by side quests I mean just picking up quests from random NPCs not related to the main mission as well.

The game is still mission based, not open world. The way it usually works is you'll start a mission with a primarily objective (eg: Assassinate X), and the relatively non-linear mission structure will require you find a path to your target and a way to dispatch them.

Occasionally you'll stumble across side objectives. Sometimes these are given by NPCs (eg: the first major mission has you meet an old lady who wants help dealing with some thugs). The length and padding of these missions varies, but they're integrated into the game world of each mission none the less. They're not really long, meaty (lololol) side quests because the game isn't really an RPG with a big open world. But the side objectives due usually lead you through areas of a map otherwise unused for the main objective.

Ken

The game is still mission based, not open world. The way it usually works is you'll start a mission with a primarily objective (eg: Assassinate X), and the relatively non-linear mission structure will require you find a path to your target and a way to dispatch them.

Occasionally you'll stumble across side objectives. Sometimes these are given by NPCs (eg: the first major mission has you meet an old lady who wants help dealing with some thugs). The length and padding of these missions varies, but they're integrated into the game world of each mission none the less. They're not really long, meaty (lololol) side quests because the game isn't really an RPG with a big open world. But the side objectives due usually lead you through areas of a map otherwise unused for the main objective.

Okay so this is more of a "do mission 1, move directly on to mission 2" kind of game?

EatChildren

Okay so this is more of a "do mission 1, move on to mission 2" kind of game?

Yes. There's a hub like environment you'll visit between missions to interact with regular characters, upgrade your equipment, and so on. Otherwise when you start a mission, you're shipped off to a new area and sequence of maps. Complete main objective, and any other objectives, find extraction point, and you're back to the hub preparing for the next mission.

DSmalls84

Can you lower your chaos rating by replaying missions? I was low until I got to the Flooded District and by the end of that mission I was at high. I just wasn't sure if I would have to replay the entire game to lower it.

Eusis

Can you lower your chaos rating by replaying missions? I was low until I got to the Flooded District and by the end of that mission I was at high. I just wasn't sure if I would have to replay the entire game to lower it.
I don't think so, they don't count for achievements like no kill runs anyway I believe. However, you COULD try to do the next mission without anyone dying and possibly set it back, if you have Time Bend and know exactly where to go you could easily get that one sorted out fast.

Eusis

Oh, yeah, meant to respond to this.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I was sort of annoyed at the
nonlethal payoff. Being a "good" guy shouldn't make Corvo exempt from a narrative arc.
As much as I hate to admit it, maybe it'd have been best if the final mission was largely the same for both high/low chaos just like the prior missions.
Things could feasibly have gone largely the same (unless Treavor and Martin poisoned themselves there was internal strife brewing), the payoff's much better from each character as I outlined, and it'd be interesting to see how low chaos/Emily Dies turns out. I guess Dunwall won't be QUITE as fubar'd, but the situation with Corvo would be the same.

Oh, yeah, meant to respond to this.

As much as I hate to admit it, maybe it'd have been best if the final mission was largely the same for both high/low chaos just like the prior missions.
Things could feasibly have gone largely the same (unless Treavor and Martin poisoned themselves there was internal strife brewing), the payoff's much better from each character as I outlined, and it'd be interesting to see how low chaos/Emily Dies turns out. I guess Dunwall won't be QUITE as fubar'd, but the situation with Corvo would be the same.

Agreed. What would have been truly delicious as a final dilemma is low-chaos Corvo making it to the lighthouse, finding his betrayers, and potentially not having enough sleep darts to non-lethally deal with them or a good enough reaction time to dispense with Havelock before he jumps off with Emily. Do you break your no-kill run and murder people in front of Emily, or try to pull it off with what little equipment you have?

Low chaos as it stands is just too perfect a resolution.

d00d3n

Does hitting your sword at a wall, having enemies go to "red status" and starting to investigate the sound (which changes their patrol pattern) count as an alert for achievement purposes? This move seems almost essential if you want to knock everybody out without killing people, so I really hope it does not count ...

GHG

Gold Member
For the best experience is it recommended to play with the HUD completely off or should I leave certain elements on?

What I mean by that are there any elements of the HUD that are essential to be able play the game properly?

SJRB

Gold Member
Just started the second assassination mission, it's nice to see my actions from the previous mission having an effect in the game world.

Also -
Assassins
out of nowhere. They were no match for my ghost-like ninja skills though.

By the way, the sidequest is to go talk to
Slackjaw. Does that mean the entire distillery is a non-hostile zone? I ninja'd my way through to Slackjaw, at some point I was sure a guard should have spotted me but nothing happened. Slackjaw himself was all like "hey dude how's it going" even though I pretty much appeared out of nowhere.

Please don't tell me I chocked out all those guys for nothing..

diamount

Banned
Just started the second assassination mission, it's nice to see my actions from the previous mission having an effect in the game world.

Also -
Assassins
out of nowhere. They were no match for my ghost-like ninja skills though.

By the way, the sidequest is to go talk to
Slackjaw. Does that mean the entire distillery is a non-hostile zone? I ninja'd my way through to Slackjaw, at some point I was sure a guard should have spotted me but nothing happened. Slackjaw himself was all like "hey dude how's it going" even though I pretty much appeared out of nowhere.

Please don't tell me I chocked out all those guys for nothing..

lol yep

Just finished it, in about 15 hours. My GOTY for sure. Amazing level design is something more games should strive for.
Also, the
duel against Daud
was my favorite moment. Incredibly intense.

DSmalls84

I don't think so, they don't count for achievements like no kill runs anyway I believe. However, you COULD try to do the next mission without anyone dying and possibly set it back, if you have Time Bend and know exactly where to go you could easily get that one sorted out fast.

I tried that method and finished the level but it still wasn't enough lol.
I played the missions up to the tower and killed very few people, but after getting screwed over I have been out for revenge lol.

Dennis

Banned
For the best experience is it recommended to play with the HUD completely off or should I leave certain elements on?

What I mean by that are there any elements of the HUD that are essential to be able play the game properly?

Game needs HUD like girls need panties.

Midou

The quest marker is kind of needed, short of exploring every inch to find where someone is, the game does not give you much detail as to where to find things. Even if the NPC you need to talk to is one room away from the NPC who gave you the quest, they rarely specify "hes in the balcony up stairs" they usually just say "go talk to x".

Midou

Also, the
duel against Daud
was my favorite moment. Incredibly intense.

I just
knocked him out, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction, after he spent all that time talking about how he could tell my footsteps and knows I'm there, I wanted to finish that part without him having a god damn clue what is going on

Midou

no that gam...<3 I loove this game too, but DXHR was too good... better than most stealth action games.

I'd say Dishonored handled major 'boss' encounters better, since it gives you some options in how to deal with them. Everything else I liked better in DX HR though.

I just
knocked him out, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction, after he spent all that time talking about how he could tell my footsteps and knows I'm there, I wanted to finish that part without him having a god damn clue what is going on

I wanted to knock him out too, so I used Bend Time and used the crossbow on him and the three guards. The guards fainted, but he just said "Nice try, Corvo" and proceeded to attack me.

Still felt amazing, though.

I wanted to knock him out too, so I used Bend Time and used the crossbow on him and the three guards. The guards fainted, but he just said "Nice try, Corvo" and proceeded to attack me.

Still felt amazing, though.

I spent so long trying to figure out how to get behind him. Ended up going out of a window, taking out two guards outside and scaling down behind him, grabbed his guard while he was turned around and pulled him out the window. Then snuck up behind him when he was reading.
Felt like a boss. I was really hoping that choice would have some effect t later in the game.
but it was just the outsider saying "YOU FASCINATE ME" and then you never see him again.

ironcreed

Banned
You really have to hand it to this game for the sword fighting in first person. The way some guards will bob and weave and block is amazing. Then there are the moments when your swords lock and you are glaring at each other face to face... so good.

Hey Bethesda, please let Arkane handle melee in the next Elder Scrolls. Better yet, let them make the game. Can you imagine what they could do if given free reign and the budget to build a massive open world RPG? The level design, gameplay and choices and consequences would make for something of epic proportions. These guys can flat out build a game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone happen to have a high-resolution image of the tattoo on the hand? I'd love to make a desktop wallpaper out of it.

Ha, I like how you can peep into the keyhole where
Piero is looking through to spy on Curwin bathing after you catch him doing it.

EatChildren

Ha, I like how you can peep into the keyhole where
Piero is looking through to spy on Curwin bathing after you catch him doing it.

I'm disappointed this wasn't an achievement, to mark all the perverts out there.

You really have to hand it to this game for the sword fighting in first person. The way some guards will bob and weave and block is amazing. Then there are the moments when your swords lock and you are glaring at each other face to face... so good.

One time there were two guards and I snuck up behind the first one, stabbed him in the neck and the other guy on the balcony turned around and drew his sword. I ran up to him, locked swords and the force of it threw him off the balcony to his death.

childhood...fuck-yeah.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
ok im thinking of restarting, how hard is the hardest difficulty?

Top Bottom