• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm pretty sure I tested this earlier. If you're in plain sight guards *will* see you, but as long as there's shadow you won't be seen at a distance.
Source: myself.
Nah. I've been out in the open, middle of the street and a guard a bit of a way from me didn't notice, staring in my direction. Ive been using this AI to my advantage on my no-powers run.

For the record: Hard

Are you on Very Hard?

Nah. I've been out in the open, middle of the street and a guard a bit of a way from me didn't notice, staring in my direction. Ive been using this AI to my advantage on my no-powers run.

For the record: Hard

Are you on Very Hard?

Uh. No, I'm playing on Hard too. I guess I was just unlucky, since every single guard in the whole game seems to be able to spot me unless I'm behind cover/in the shadows.

MedIC86

Just finished it, got mixed feelings. Absolute highpoint was
the masked ball
for me it went pretty downhill fast after that. Also game was a bit short and the story was not very good. All in all 7.5/10 for me.

Speaking of the weepers, do they count as enemy kills for achievement/chaos reasons? I always wondered if they were dead-dead or if I had to render them unconscious...

Jack_AG

Banned
Uh. No, I'm playing on Hard too. I guess I was just unlucky, since every single guard in the whole game seems to be able to spot me unless I'm behind cover/in the shadows.
There is a break point and I've found it to be a little bit farther than Dark Vision. They will become alert - hitting "spidey sense" level 1 or maybe 2 but if you maintain distance they never hit "spidey sense" 3 and give chase.

Edit: I'm also not talking about prancing about the open streets for extended lengths of time - only using their limited vision for brief moments - they wont see you.

There is a break point and I've found it to be a little bit farther than Dark Vision. They will become alert - hitting "spidey sense" level 1 or maybe 2 but if you maintain distance they never hit "spidey sense" 3 and give chase.

Edit: I'm also not talking about prancing about the open streets for extended lengths of time - only using their limited vision for brief moments - they wont see you.

I see. Interesting, although I don't use Dark Vision so I don't know how far that might be.
Still, I keep seeing people not liking it. It saddens me. :(

this game is completely unforgiving. I'm playing on easy and I'm still having a hard time completing the missions. it took me over 15 tries to beat the first mission, the side mission with
granny rag
added another 10 tries. I hate the thugs who use those bottles to blow fire at you, the attack takes too much health.

I'm really enjoying it though, it's not the kind of game where I feel it's being unfair. it's challenging and you always feel like it's your fault when you die.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is completely unforgiving. I'm playing on easy and I'm still having a hard time completing the missions. it took me over 15 tries to beat the first mission, the side mission with
granny rag
added another 10 tries. I hate the thugs who use those bottles to blow fire at you, the attack takes too much health.

I'm really enjoying it though, it's not the kind of game where I feel it's being unfair. it's challenging and you always feel like it's your fault when you die.

strange, I'm playing it on hard and finding it pretty easy. Playing stealthy. I'm thinking about switching to very hard.

granny rag

Maybe you are playing too agressive and impatient. What I enjoy most about this game is that there are so many ways around the "main road" where you can circumvent almost every enemy. And with the blink ability you can go places you didn't think you could reach. And while many games have invisible walls, this game is almost like "what you can see is where you can get to".

mxgt

Banned
Just got to the
twist. How predictable and completely unshocking. Did M Night Shyamalan write this game?

Regardless, I'm still loving it but I fear I'm getting close to the end :(

Enco

strange, I'm playing it on hard and finding it pretty easy. Playing stealthy. I'm thinking about switching to very hard.
This.

I've died a bit but it's mainly due to stupid mistakes.

The stealth AI is kinda crappy. If someone is at the end of a corridor, you can walk past them and they wont see you. Everyone is very short sighted.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Doesn't playing stealth make difficulty setting essentially irrelevant? Unless I'm missing something. You either get detected or you don't, and although it says enemies have keen perceptions on harder difficulties I'm hearing otherwise from everyone else (AI laughable across all settings).

krishian

Doesn't playing stealth make difficulty setting essentially irrelevant? Unless I'm missing something. You either get detected or you don't.
I think it just changes enemy health/damage. If you're going for a stealth run it doesn't matter if you have it on easy or very hard.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This.

I've died a bit but it's mainly due to stupid mistakes.

The stealth AI is kinda crappy. If someone is at the end of a corridor, you can walk past them and they wont see you. Everyone is very short sighted.

the stealth AI is quite good and unforgiving. One of the best I've seen. I was noticed from afar and being in the dark from afar.

Play on hard. And yes, enemies are more perceptive.

bitoriginal

I'm really enjoying the game, but I honestly feel like the enemies vision cones are too small or something, it definitely does seem a little easy to walk in front of someone from a distance and not get noticed. I'm playing it on hard btw.

Dennis

Banned
I am at the ball right now and this together with the Golden Cat mission are by far my favorite.

So pretty and atmospheric.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game, but I honestly feel like the enemies vision cones are too small or something, it definitely does seem a little easy to walk in front of someone and not get noticed. I'm playing it on hard btw.

Very Hard is still a little too lenient in this, but I feel that is the way the game should be played.

Zeliard

Yeah there's little reason not to play it on Very Hard unless you're Rambo'ing it and don't want enemies who hit super-hard.

Finished it. Good ending.

And I fucking knew Callista was voiced by Lena Heady, that voice was way too familiar.

Am I crazy or is this game incredibly ugly? On a technical level, it's easily the weakest game I've played all year.

I agree. It's a blast to play, but it's really ugly.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, this bridge mission is absolutely gorgeous. I love the lighting at sunset.

Level design in the Kaldwin's Bridge mission really shines. It does in the entire game, really. Combined with the art, music and gameplay, it makes for something that feels really special.

PC version looks pretty good, but I can't say how it fares up close. Once you get close to stuff on the 360 version it can get pretty hideous. :lol

Dat washed out color.

Kaldwin Bridge mission is excellent, though. I also liked the final one, though it says I killed two people and I have no idea who.

Enco

I want the satisfaction of killing my targets but the non lethal options are a lot more painful to them.

Such a tough choice.

I've decided to spare the first 3 targets.
The twins got their tongue torn out and put into a mine. The first douche got branded
. Is any sort of life better than death?

ironcreed

Banned
I just try to look at the game the way Harvey Smith described it. He said that it is supposed to look like a moving painting. The smooth textures actually suit that look rather well. It's very distinctive and is gorgeous for what it is doing artistically.

Zeliard

I cannot process people using words like "incredibly ugly" and "really ugly" to describe this game's look. And this isn't the first time I've seen people use that sort of strong language to describe the visuals. Surely the console versions can't muck up the great art to that degree.

The game just looks incredibly beautiful to me, it runs extremely smoothly on my crappy rig on high settings as well. So for me, this beats out any other super budget graphic game any day.

ironcreed

Banned
I cannot process people using words like "incredibly ugly" and "really ugly" to describe this game's look. And this isn't the first time I've seen people use that sort of strong language to describe the visuals. Surely the console versions can't muck up the great art to that degree.

They don't. I am playing it on PS3 and think it is gorgeous for it's use of color and brush stroke look. The smooth textures make sense in this context.

Dantis

Veeery low res textures and veeeeery simplistic lighting. Like I say, on a technical level, it's the weakest game I've played in ages.

krishian

I want the satisfaction of killing my targets but the non lethal options are a lot more painful to them.

Such a tough choice.

I've decided to spare the first 3 targets.
The twins got their tongue torn out and put into a mine. The first douche got branded
. Is any sort of life better than death?
The nonlethal options are great,
Lady Boyle is in for some nice times, forever and ever.

commissar

Veeery low res textures and veeeeery simplistic lighting. Like I say, on a technical level, it's the weakest game I've played in ages.
It's Unreal Engine 3, so you can mod in some Mass Effect style lens flares and then batch overlay some gritty scratches onto all the textures bro.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The PS3 version looks pretty sharp to me and runs quite smoothly. I doubt the 360 versions FXAA can kill the incredible art. It's technically quite simplistic but the art is great and holds up due to nice IQ.

Zeliard

They don't. I am playing it on PS3 and think it is gorgeous for it's use of color and brush stroke look. The smooth textures make sense in this context.

Yeah, that's how I feel about the textures. They work to give the game a distinctive painterly look.

The big problem with low-res textures in other games is that they're extremely jarring relative to the rest of the image. I don't think this game really has that problem. The image as a whole is nicely coherent.

Would you say it reminds you of Thief or Deus Ex the most? Id say Thief personally.
I haven't played too far yet, but I say it feels more like Deus Ex than anything, but with no specializing to speak of. Namely because having supernatural powers is more evocative of augs than anything present in Thief, that and straight on combat is more viable in this game than it ever was in Thief. You're practically using the Dragontooth from the start.

I dunno really, it doesn't exactly feel like either even though it has its elements of both.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Question about the last mission:
I choked out Havelock and got zero kills and I still didn't get Clean Hands achievement, even though I got zero kills on any of the other missions. Is this mission glitched or do you need to discover an optional way to take out Havelock?

kuroshiki

Well to be fair girls in this game are absolutely hideous.

Jack_AG

Banned
Question about the last mission:
I choked out Havelock and got zero kills and I still didn't get Clean Hands achievement, even though I got zero kills on any of the other missions. Is this mission glitched or do you need to discover an optional way to take out Havelock?
Many are reporting that Clean Hands does not unlock properly so I am keeping screens of every mission summary. I've read numerous complaints on all platforms of this.

Top Bottom