• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

So here's a short video of me doing the third mission.

If you aren't interested in the rest of it, skip to the last thirty seconds. How on EARTH did that target see me? I had been waiting by the windows for a while but he or the whore were never alerted. As I jumped over the barrier I was crouched and remained so as I looked through the keyhole. He just kinda looks at the door and somehow sees me looking through the keyhole? Total bullshit.

It's the first thing in the game I would say is really frustrating. The rest of the game has been really fair and realistic about what the AI can see/hear, but this was just random and really ruined my stealthy way through. I don't mind if I fuck up, but I was being so careful that it's really annoying to just have these guards all rush you when I haven't done anything wrong.

That I can think of, anyway.

Duxxy3

Just finished it this morning - i really wanted to finish it last night but sleep got the best of me.

I did a mix of stealth and upfront murder everything i see and got the high chaos total. I had a blast the whole time.

Wikzo

Has anybody noticed an effect from signing the guest book at Lady Boyle's party? Thought it was pretty funny.

After that mission (where I killed only the correct lady) I received a Rune from one ot the other ladies. Dunno if this was because of my name in the guest book.

Has anybody noticed an effect from signing the guest book at Lady Boyle's party? Thought it was pretty funny.

After that mission (where I killed only the correct lady) I received a Rune from one ot the other ladies. Dunno if this was because of my name in the guest book.

I got a rune also, didn't know you could sign the guest book
Loved that mission.

Nemesis_

Can anyone help me out? This is an achievement related question.

The "Art Dealer" achievement.

I've found all paintings except I appear to have missed one - the one from the mission on the bridge.

Can I MISSION SELECT and just go in and grab it or do I have to actually go through and play the entire game again? :(

Finished the game three times now, loving it, just trying to mop up with all my remaining (well, my only remaining) achievement.

Help would be really, really appreciated :)

With the ini tweak to disable intro movies + raid 0, it takes me literally 3 seconds to start the game. So good
3AQmK.gif

Akai

You find
a note in the next mission that tells the Lord Regent that someone had signed his name as Corvo at the party, and that they thought it was just a bad joke but felt they had to tell him...

Jack_AG

Banned
Yes. They are mandatory if you want to get the most out of the game.
The nice thing is - that optional objectives don't seem like they are just tacked on so it feels like they are part of the game rather than feeling like they are just "fluff".

Hunting for runes and charms is optional, as well, but the payoff is pretty nice so you really never feel like you are grinding through extra garbage for being a completionist. Everything seems like it fits together nicely with the main missions and you actually want to do all the stuff which is a nice change from other games with side-objectives which tend to feel more like a waste of time. It took no arm twisting for me to clear all optional objectives before moving on to the main objective.

I just love catching everyone off-guard.

Tess3ract

Banned
Well I was gonna do a no kill run (except for rats and dogs, HUMANS FIRST)

Until I saw the high overseer's secret room where
he basically says he rapes Emily.

Yup. He gun die. Yep.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't think that had anything to do with that.

There is a memo in a later mission where important characters talk about lady boyle disappearing (because I did the nonlethal solution for her) and they talk about how I was "at the party" since I signed my name, but then one guy said it was "probably just a sick joke".

I thought it was amusing.

Akai

Yup. He gun die. Yep.

Whoa there, you completely misinterpreted that audiograph. Campbell is referring to (Mission 3 Spoilers)
"inspecting" the brothel where she is being held...

What that audiograph specifically says for those wondering is:
Visiting her twice a week has given me the ample opportunity to 'inspect the facilities' as they say. So there's an upside, at least.
I had a similar interpretation of the meaning.

Dennis

Banned
What they meant was that he has sex with the prostitutes.

Come on, they are not going to go so dark as to suggest the rape of a child.

What that audiograph specifically says for those wondering is:
Visiting her twice a week has given me the ample opportunity to 'inspect the facilities' as they say. So there's an upside, at least.
I had a similar interpretation of the meaning.
Also, if I remember correctly
there is a note from Madame Prudence about him roughing up one of the prostitutes. He also talks about a "dead whore" when he and Curnow enter the dining hall together. So I took it as his treatment of the prostitute killed her.

Jack_AG

Banned

Yup. He gun die. Yep.
Nope. That's not what he said or implied. Take a listen to it again.

Riposte

My opinion on this game continues to sour. I'm thinking it is very mediocre, which it reaches thanks to more the sum of its part rather than any single good execution of its many, many ideas. The best moments are scattered. I'll properly explain myself when I finish playing it, for fairness sake.

I will say that I'm curious how people who characteristically champion 'ye olde days' of PC gaming could champion this as a return to form. It is missing key components of what makes games like Deus Ex or Hitman interesting. Any sort of fail state must come from holding both your hands behind your back (and close your eyes, when it comes to exploration). The game doesn't put in much effort to recognizing your style of play (which is to say there isn't much differentiation between approaches). This is one of the most accessible stealth games I've ever played. It is more accessible (and unbalanced, somehow) than some of the better moments of the Assassin's Creed series.

EDIT: I think I appreciate Deus Ex: Human Revolution a little more now.

ctrayne

"Checking the facilities" in a room where there's a bunch of bras and panties, where he says something about "the girl is well hidden"?

And I'm supposed to believe otherwise? okay.

He is "inspecting the facilities" of the brothel, meaning the courtesans, not
Emily.
He's a dirtbag, not a molester.

I love how much story is woven in to the environment and not forced into your face. The crap strewn about his room tells it all. I think people who say the game has a bad plot are just not reading between the lines; there's some good stuff in there.

My opinion on this game continues to sour.
I'm having the opposite reaction. Liked it at first, felt a little bummed out after beating it, then went back and am having moments of "fridge brilliance." I like DXHR more, but Dishonored is up there.

Is this game like one big environment like Skyrim or more precisely, many big environments like AC, or is it more like one huge city split by levels, like let's say Bioshock?

Is this game like one big environment like Skyrim or more precisely, many big environments like AC, or is it more like one huge city split by levels, like let's say Bioshock?

The latter, although you do return to familiar places quite a bit more than Bioshock. Think of it as roomy levels that often connect with each other in a Metroid sort of way

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I appreciated that on my high chaos playthrough, there was one piece of dialogue unique to that path that confirms that (relationship spoilers)
Emily is Corvo's daughter, and that the Empress and Corvo were romantically involved.

I got that sense from the very minute I saw Emily for the first time, but that line of dialogue is straight evidence.

Also, I really really liked how things change in subtle ways on low and high chaos.
In low chaos, the picture that Emily draws in the pub is much more cheery, while in high chaos it's really grim. She takes hints from Corvo based on how he operates in the game, and actually starts to like the idea of excommunicating and killing her opponents once she is Empress in high chaos. It's really interesting how the game starts to twist more as you bloody your hands.
In a lot of ways, I am glad I did both playthroughs, because I would not have been happy with how things turned out in the high chaos ending. Also, Samuel is a real asshole to you in high chaos, and rightly so.

Also, the last 10 minutes of the game are very different based on your chaos, which I really liked.

Dennis

Banned
I appreciated that on my high chaos playthrough, there was one piece of dialogue unique to that path that confirms that (relationship spoilers)
Emily is Corvo's daughter, and that the Empress and Corvo were romantically involved.

I got that sense from the very minute I saw Emily for the first time, but that line of dialogue is straight evidence.

Also, I really really liked how things change in subtle ways on low and high chaos.
In low chaos, the picture that Emily draws in the pub is much more cheery, while in high chaos it's really grim. She takes hints from Corvo based on how he operates in the game, and actually starts to like the idea of excommunicating and killing her opponents once she is Empress in high chaos. It's really interesting how the game starts to twist more as you bloody your hands.
In a lot of ways, I am glad I did both playthroughs, because I would not have been happy with how things turned out in the high chaos ending. Also, Samuel is a real asshole to you in high chaos, and rightly so.

Also, the last 10 minutes of the game are very different based on your chaos, which I really liked.

Yikes. I am going for Low Chaos and judging from this I am glad I did. I would not be a happy gamer with that other ending.

My opinion on this game continues to sour. I'm thinking it is very mediocre, which it reaches thanks to more the sum of its part rather than any single good execution of its many, many ideas. The best moments are scattered. I'll properly explain myself when I finish playing it, for fairness sake.

I will say that I'm curious how people who characteristically champion 'ye olde days' of PC gaming could champion this as a return to form. It is missing key components of what makes games like Deus Ex or Hitman interesting. Any sort of fail state must come from holding both your hands behind your back (and close your eyes, when it comes to exploration). The game doesn't put in much effort to recognizing your style of play (which is to say there isn't much differentiation between approaches). This is one of the most accessible stealth games I've ever played. It is more accessible (and unbalanced, somehow) than some of the better moments of the Assassin's Creed series.

EDIT: I think I appreciate Deus Ex: Human Revolution a little more now.

I'm not one of those who say "Games were better back in my days", but if you ask me, accessibility does not make a game bad. Dishonored has level design, powers, brillant melee combat and good stealth.
Really, I see many people saying the stealth is bad, but why? It's clearly the kind of stealth that relies on your powers and your ability to adapt to the level design, and it's great for that. As I said, it really reminds me of Deus Ex.
Is it because it's easy? I can't honestly remember a stealth game that really gave me problems (Except Hitman 1&2).

For anyone going for the Clean Hands Achievement take note:

If you encounter Granny Rags and Slackjaw in Mission 7 do not talk to either of them, do not sleep dart Granny, just steal the key and run. If you sleep dart her even though it says 0 kills at the end she dies somehow. If you sleep dart her, burn her idol thing and then sleep dart her again, same thing.

I could have sworn that I got the achievement but then went back and did what I said above and completed the rest of the game after and got the achievement.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Checking the facilities" in a room where there's a bunch of bras and panties, where he says something about "the girl is well hidden"?

Pretty sure he's implying that he also uses the other services of the Golden Cat while he's there. Not abusing Emily.

eXistor

Yeah my main issue with the game so far (only on the first real mission) is that the game gives the player way too much access to everything. I already unlocked a bunch of powers, found multiple copies of the same "master" keys. Have so many healing items I'm contantly at max capacity. I don't feel challenged at all and I'm switched the difficulty from hard to very hard. I also disabled a lot of UI options like objective markers. This isn't to brag at all, in fact I consider myself to be a very average player to begin with and I generally am very bad at stealth games (MGS is impossible for me to play stealthy, no matter how hard I try).

As said, I'm only on the first mission and I hope they stop holding my hand so much. But all the rest is golden, the level-design is second-to none and I love uncovering hidden stories in the levels and the controls in general are very good. They should have just added an extra difficulty where you can't unlock any powers and have no healing elixers all over the place, just some food or something.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Counting accessibility against a game is like saying a band is too popular.

I'm not one of those who say "Games were better back in my days", but if you ask me, accessibility does not make a game bad. Dishonored has level design, powers, brillant melee combat and good stealth.
Really, I see many people saying the stealth is bad, but why? It's clearly the kind of stealth that relies on your powers and your ability to adapt to the level design, and it's great for that. As I said, it really reminds me of Deus Ex.
Is it because it's easy? I can't honestly remember a stealth game that really gave me problems (Except Hitman 1&2).

Most stealth games would require you to tail/sneak up behind an enemy for example, here you can just teleport right behind them from a distance, and even have their body instantly disappear if you want. And if you are seen, you can just teleport away onto a ledge or something and you're as good as invisible. That isn't good stealth gameplay.

To be honest I wouldn't even mind all that if there was some hard-earned investment in character abilities to get to that point, but there isn't.

Counting accessibility against a game is like saying a band is too popular.

Not if you find it too easy and it takes away from the experience.

I always have full ammo etc too... but I'm a pure stealth player so it doesn't really bother me. All I need is the warp skill and my blade :D

I still find the stealth challenging and satisfying though, so I'm not saying I find it too accessible. I just see how others could.

KingKong

My issue with the stealth is that it's just so very easy and not well developed. You are just way too powerful and the AI isn't smart enough to deal with it, even on the hardest difficulty. It's also very limited in general to take the non-lethal approach compared to lethal and there aren't mechanics to make it good (like Thief's light/dark or Hitmans disguises). Really, I don't even use Dark Vision or abuse Time stop or possession, just Blink is enough in most cases

thetrin

Not if you find it too easy and it takes away from the experience.

I always have full ammo etc too... but I'm a pure stealth player so it doesn't really bother me. All I need is the warp skill and my blade :D

I didn't find anything easy about doing a non-lethal run. It's not ball crushingly hard, but I ended up doing a lot of restarts to avoid detection.

Most stealth games would require you to tail/sneak up behind an enemy for example, here you can just teleport right behind them from a distance, and even have their body instantly disappear if you want. And if you are seen, you can just teleport away onto a ledge or something and you're as good as invisible. That isn't good stealth gameplay.

To be honest I wouldn't even mind all that if there was some hard-earned investment in character abilities to get to that point, but there isn't.

If you teleport on a ledge after they've gone alert they are able to see you, because they're alert and search in places they normally don't.

My issue with the stealth is that it's just so very easy and not well developed. You are just way too powerful and the AI isn't smart enough to deal with it, even on the hardest difficulty. It's also very limited in general to take the non-lethal approach compared to lethal and there aren't mechanics to make it good (like Thief's light/dark or Hitmans disguises). Really, I don't even use Dark Vision or abuse Time stop or possession, just Blink is enough in most cases
As I said, it's not like the other stealth games are hard. There is a shadow mechanic, and the main mechanic is the powers themselves. In my opinion it's fluid, fast and unique, not to mention satysfing.

I didn't find anything easy about doing a non-lethal run. It's not ball crushingly hard, but I ended up doing a lot of restarts to avoid detection.

I agree with you, I'm just saying that discounting accessibility as a criticism isn't really right. We're just playing in a way (and maybe at a skill level) where it doesn't impact us as much.

KingKong

If you teleport on a ledge after they've gone alert they are able to see you, because they're alert and search in places they normally don't.

As I said, it's not like the other stealth games are hard. There is a shadow mechanic, and the main mechanic is the powers themselves. In my opinion it's fluid, fast and unique, not to mention satysfing.

Sure, and I do find it really fun to blink behind a guy and choke him out, but the different powers are mechanics FOR the player, not against him. In a game like Thief, for example, you are extremely vulnerable and you have to stay in the shadow and create darkness any way you can.

There are a lot of ways of just escaping a situation if it becomes really dangerous in Dishonored, and that makes it a lot less exciting to me

TheOddOne

For anyone going for the Clean Hands Achievement take note:

If you encounter Granny Rags and Slackjaw in Mission 7 do not talk to either of them, do not sleep dart Granny, just steal the key and run. If you sleep dart her even though it says 0 kills at the end she dies somehow. If you sleep dart her, burn her idol thing and then sleep dart her again, same thing.

I could have sworn that I got the achievement but then went back and did what I said above and completed the rest of the game after and got the achievement.
Thanks, was thinking about what to do in this situation.

Tess3ract

Banned
Apparrently there was a bone charm I missed in overseer campbell?

Do I get to go back to that area because I scoured the whole friggin place and found nothing whatsoever else.

Also I stuck Curnow in a dumpster but she says he was killed? what the fuck?

Sure, and I do find it really fun to blink behind a guy and choke him out, but the different powers are mechanics FOR the player, not against him. In a game like Thief, for example, you are extremely vulnerable and you have to stay in the shadow and create darkness any way you can.

There are a lot of ways of just escaping a situation if it becomes really dangerous in Dishonored, and that makes it a lot less exciting to me

To be honest, you can win a 1 on 1 fight in Thief without even losing a bit of health. Simply put, that's not what the game was designed for. Dishonored, instead, is more Deus Ex-y since you can sneak past everyone or kill every single human being in the area.
I can understand why you don't feel it like dangerous enough, but I actually died if I got caught: either I fought back (which led to death if I wasn't prepared) or I ran away, which usually led to dropping from a great height and getting a lot of damage. In my opinion, Thief is not harder than Dishonored. Better designed, sure, but that's because Thief is still the greatest stealth game existing. I prefer comparing Dishonored to Deus Ex.

Jack_AG

Banned

Emily gives him a reason to visit the whorehouse twice a week... whorehouse...inspect the facilities... undergarments everywhere... twice a week... "inspect" the whorehouse...

Captain Obvious says "hi".

How you think that relates to the raping of a child is beyond me.

I'm just too good at this game. (Mission 3 spoilers).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LloIkaiO9xU

Lol, pretty much what happened to me. I got caught and started running, happened to run into the Pendleton room, so I just said fuck it, stabbed him, and jumped into the water. Went back to Slackjaw but he refused to honor his deal since I killed a Pendleton, so I killed Slackjaw too. The deal wasn't "don't kill the Pendletons" the deal was "get me the safe code".

Top Bottom