• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

neoism

I'd say Dishonored handled major 'boss' encounters better, since it gives you some options in how to deal with them. Everything else I liked better in DX HR though.

well I never had one problem with them....they could have been better designed though... still fucking love that game .... more than most MGS games too.

Akai

Yeah, I tried that mission like three times. No idea how you're supposed to save Curnow once he's unconscious.

You guys put him in the right dumpster, right? It has to be the specific one the marker leads you to. Once you toss him in it the game will display the "Target Saved" portrait of Curnow if you did it correctly...

DSmalls84

Was wondering how these events change the ending you get if at all?
Choosing between Granny Rags and Slackjaw towards the end of the game and poisoning the distillery for Granny Rags at the beginning?

Zeliard

My issue with the stealth is that it's just so very easy and not well developed. You are just way too powerful and the AI isn't smart enough to deal with it, even on the hardest difficulty. It's also very limited in general to take the non-lethal approach compared to lethal and there aren't mechanics to make it good (like Thief's light/dark or Hitmans disguises). Really, I don't even use Dark Vision or abuse Time stop or possession, just Blink is enough in most cases

Every stealth game is easy, even Thief. It's the nature of the beast; enemies just follow an easily-exploitable pattern. The most it ever requires out of the player is a modicum of patience. Thief 1 & 2 are awesome but I wouldn't say stealth difficulty had much to do with it, though I did appreciate that the higher difficulties had different objectives and placed more limitations on the player. Wish Dishonored had done something similar to that, or something like Hitman where they limit savescumming.

In a game like this I prefer varying things up with all the tools at your disposal and mix-and-match, since that's what I find more interesting. Yes, you can get through the entire game basically doing one or two things the entire time, but then that also describes games like System Shock 2.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm starting to slowly slide in the direction of the negative people here the more I play. It's definitely a good game but it's more like a good game for modern standards, much like Human Revolution was and not something that can compare favorably with the classics. It's just a bit too streamlined to be near that level.

It's a shame that games have to be like that 10+ years later when we should be progressing as an industry.

thefil

You guys put him in the right dumpster, right? It has to be the specific one the marker leads you to. Once you toss him in it the game will display the "Target Saved" portrait of Curnow if you did it correctly...

Ah, I have objective markers off. Game design has really taken a dive off the deep end when it comes to providing the player information in believable ways. :(

Edit: See original Deus Ex for an example of this done right.

Torraz

So I just arrived at the place of the last mission. The name has (low chaos) behind it. Does this mean that no matter how many people I brutally slaughter I will get the low chaos ending?

Tess3ract

Banned
If you have the mission objectives off, you have no idea where to actually put him.

It's a very specific dumpster, near the docks door.

Goddamn stupid crap.

If you have the mission objectives off, you have no idea where to actually put him.

Goddamn stupid crap.

Yes, I agree, that was dumb as hell. I made a very satysfing escape before realizing that hiding him in a dark corner isn't enough.

Zeliard

I'm starting to slowly slide in the direction of the negative people here the more I play. It's definitely a good game but it's more like a good game for modern standards, much like Human Revolution was and not something that can compare favorably with the classics. It's just a bit too streamlined to be near that level.

It's a shame that games have to be like that 10+ years later when we should be progressing as an industry.

I will say that my heart sank a bit when I saw this:

heh3eunz.png

But I blame that more on the modern gamer than I do Arkane. The Dark Souls easy mode thread was an eye-opener.

thefil

Goddamn stupid crap.

Are you frustrated with people who have mission markers off, or with the game design for failing to communicate anything except with mission markers?

If it's the latter, I heartily agree. So many games market being open and discovery based, but are impossible to play without giant glowing arrows to completely break the experience.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Mission 1 spoilers:

Is there a ghosting way to deal with the
thugs outside Granny Rags
? Or do you just have to not do the side mission?

Every stealth game is easy, even Thief. It's the nature of the beast; enemies just follow an easily-exploitable pattern. The most it ever requires out of the player is a modicum of patience. Thief 1 & 2 are awesome but I wouldn't say stealth difficulty had much to do with it, though I did appreciate that the higher difficulties had different objectives and placed more limitations on the player. Wish Dishonored had done something similar to that, or something like Hitman where they limit savescumming.

In a game like this I prefer varying things up with all the tools at your disposal and mix-and-match, since that's what I find more interesting. Yes, you can get through the entire game basically doing one or two things the entire time, but then that also describes games like System Shock 2.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will say that my heart sank a bit when I saw this:

But I blame that more on the modern gamer than I do Arkane. The Dark Souls easy mode thread was an eye-opener.

It's one tutorial message. It's not like they shove them in your face every time you need to solve a problem. You can turn them off, too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Stop reading Confidence Man's posts and just enjoy the damn game Derrick!

Zeliard

It's one tutorial message. It's not like they shove them in your face every time you need to solve a problem.

That lone tutorial message is telling enough. They don't trust a lot of gamers to be able to decipher that sort of thing on their own, and frankly, I don't blame them at all.

I'm not criticizing Arkane for it. I'm just saying that's the state of things.

-BLITZ-

Mission 1 spoilers:

Is there a ghosting way to deal with the
thugs outside Granny Rags
? Or do you just have to not do the side mission?

Yeap, just
crouch for stealth, go to the balcony, use blink to get just behind them, were two survivors walk around the street, grab the guy from your left since he is the one that is further from them, but be aware since the thug at the door sometimes can catch you because he turns around a bit, also you can use slow time for additional stealth, drop the thug you grabbed and then use sleep dart for the door thug and grab the other one from the right.

Well at least this is how I've done it.

Enco

Goddamn stupid crap.
Yea I had to enable the objectives for that.

Don't see how a dumpster is safer than anywhere else.

That lone tutorial message is telling enough. They don't trust a lot of gamers to be able to decipher that sort of thing on their own, and frankly, I don't blame them at all.

I'm not criticizing Arkane for it. I'm just saying that's the state of things.

It's one message stating to the player "Yeah, it's that kind of game". I think it serves a purpose.

If you got one of these messages for every scenario I'd be with you, but it's just the one.

DukeBobby

I have played for 18 hours (No kills/detections so far, all collectibles) and have just reached the
Flooded District
. I'm loving the game so far, but the previous mission (
Return to the tower
) was definitely the poorest so far. I found the entire place a pain in the ass to navigate.

Dennis

Banned
Stop talking about markers and dumpsters. You all botched that mission for it to even be an issue. I saved him and he was conscious the whole time.

Knocking him out.......pftt....rookies...

Derrick01

Banned
Stop reading Confidence Man's posts and just enjoy the damn game Derrick!

I did, I'm on the 2nd run now. That's usually where I start to see flaws in a shorter, non RPG game. I end up having to separate the classics and these games in my head so I don't end up completely hating them for being dumbed down.

Zeliard

It's one message stating to the player "Yeah, it's that kind of game". I think it serves a purpose.

You already get this beforehand, which probably makes that clear enough:

heh2x8iix.png

And this:

heh38nlyp.png

Don't take this as me disliking the game. I actually quite love it. But this sort of thing is still amusing to me.

thefil

I have played for 18 hours (No kills/detections so far, all collectibles) and have just reached the
Flooded District
. I'm loving the game so far, but the previous mission (
Return to the tower
) was definitely the poorest so far. I found the entire place a pain in the ass to navigate.

Your current mission is worse! I actually liked Return to the Tower.

For people, who have finished, what's your level ranking? Here's mine, top to bottom. Sorry about the naming, I'm acting from memory.
1) House of Luxury/Golden Cat
2) Kaldwin's Bridge
3) The Last Party
4) The First Lord Regent
5) The Second Lord Regent
6) High Overseer
7) The Drowned District

Yeap, just
crouch for stealth, go to the balcony, use blink to get just behind them, were two survivors walk around the street, grab the guy from your left since he is the one that is further from them, but be aware since the thug at the door sometimes can catch you because he turns around a bit, also you can use slow time for additional stealth, drop the thug you grabbed and then use sleep dart for the door thug and grab the other one from the right.

Well at least this is how I've done it.
You can also unlock the door, then take the guy on the left, then the guy on the right and since the door is opened, the guy at the door will walk in as soon as you take the guy on the right allowing you to go undetected.

Oh child, there is another way.....
Yep.
I choked out Campbell right before he was gonna kill him after taking him to his grody secret spot. He then noticed me, basically said that he'll forget about seeing me, and ran his ass out of there.
No complications.

For people, who have finished, what's your level ranking? Here's mine, top to bottom. Sorry about the naming, I'm acting from memory.
2) Kaldwin's Bridge
3) The Last Party
4) The First Lord Regent
6) High Overseer
7) The Drowned District

Oh, come on, that was my favourite one. :(
1) Drowned District. Huge, explorative and coroned by the greatest moment of the game, the duel with Daud.
2) The Golden Cat. Big!
3) The last level. Also huge, different according to the Chaos status and just well done.
4) The Lady Boyle's party. Fresh, different and funny in many ways.
5) The Overseer. Really well done level, also the one I spent most time in.
6) Sokolov's kidnapping. That's it?
7) Lord Regent's assassin. THAT'S IT?

DSmalls84

2) Kaldwin's Bridge
3) The Last Party
4) The First Lord Regent
6) High Overseer
7) The Drowned District

I definitely agree with your bottom ranked mission. I really didn't care for that one and for some reason it seemed kind of out of place to me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
How were you supposed to do granny rag's quest? You can't actually get to that area at all that it says the doctor is in.

Blink to the balcony using lamposts

edit: WTF,
The flooded district
is my favourite mission. I'm on the last one. I doubt it will top it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you frustrated with people who have mission markers off, or with the game design for failing to communicate anything except with mission markers?

If it's the latter, I heartily agree. So many games market being open and discovery based, but are impossible to play without giant glowing arrows to completely break the experience.

Quest markers have been ruining gameplay since WoW or even earlier.

Designers design stuff based around the markers, and not actually giving clues in the world as to where you are supposed to go.

It annoys me that so many game designers feel like it doesn't really have to make sense why your character always knows exactly where to go.

Lotto

Yes, I agree, that was dumb as hell. I made a very satysfing escape before realizing that hiding him in a dark corner isn't enough.

I spent like an hour trying to figure this out before I just decided to look up what I had to do. Pretty dumb it's a specific dumpster. I like playing this game without objective markers but is there anything like this later on in the game I should know about (without giving any spoilers away)?

Despite that, this game is so great. I've only beat the first mission and made my way back to the pub but it's very tense and extremely rewarding when you pull something off that you can think up in your head.

Top Bottom