• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

What that audiograph specifically says for those wondering is:
Visiting her twice a week has given me the ample opportunity to 'inspect the facilities' as they say. So there's an upside, at least.
I had a similar interpretation of the meaning.

He's just talking about the brothel, IMO.

But I killed him anyway because he was corrupt, as are most of the people in this game. Nothing better than assassinating people who really deserve it. I'll go out of my way to kill a guard if the Heart tells me he's wicked.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I've played the game without markers and I'd to turn them on only once (when I was tired and wanted to sleep). The game communicates with a player pretty well.

The Chef

I wish they had several different non-lethal takedowns. In Deus there were so many. My favorite one was if a guy turned and saw you and was about to yell - your non-lethal takedown was just knocking his ass out in one punch. That was so great. Choking guys out the same way gets a bit boring and when a guy turns and sees me I may not want to kill him but thats basically my only option at that point.

Tess3ract

Banned
Oh what the fuck, the entrance is in the middle on the left on the ground level after the first forcefield. I never went there because I was avoiding all the guards :|

Zeliard

I did, I'm on the 2nd run now. That's usually where I start to see flaws in a shorter, non RPG game. I end up having to separate the classics and these games in my head so I don't end up completely hating them for being dumbed down.

Just compare it to what we've gotten for the past several years and it starts to look really good.

I like it more than Deus Ex: HR, personally. HR felt more mechanical and limiting in its methods for completing mission objectives, and Dishonored's abilities in general are much more fun to play around with.

And one thing that Dishonored does better than most games past or present comes with offering a strange setting with some off-kilter gameplay elements. The Heart, a city run on whale oil, the plague, the Tallboys, the ability to possess rats and various other things, etc. It's weird, and awesome. Settings in games are usually so cliched and boring that it's refreshing to find one that attempts unusual things.

Locke_211

With all the Deus Ex and Bioshock comparisons, I wonder why no one is comparing it with Hitman. A linear sequence of missions, each set in a fairly non-linear environment where you can plan your approach, sneak around and kill the target via a number of means. And you can try to play it like an FPS, but the enemies make it quite hard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For me, at least, Dishonored survives probably 60% by its setting and atmosphere.

Actual gameplay-wise, I wasn't impressed by much other than how smooth they made movement through the environment feel. Exploration was fun, too.

ctrayne

Yeah, I tried that mission like three times. No idea how you're supposed to save Curnow once he's unconscious.

Don't knock him out, you can save him without doing so. Has worked for me three times.

Just compare it to what we've gotten for the past several years and it starts to look really good.

And one thing that Dishonored does better than most games past or present comes with offering a strange setting with some off-kilter gameplay elements. The Heart, a city run on whale oil, the plague, the Tallboys, the ability to possess rats and various other things, etc. It's weird, and awesome. Settings in games are usually so cliched and boring that it's refreshing to find one that attempts unusual things.

All true.

NZNova

I'm tired at work today because I stayed up late last night playing the hell out of this game. Love it so hard. Getting real strong Thief vibes from it.

I just wish I could directly map a button to Blink, instead of having to switch to it like a weapon.

Duxxy3

Yes, you did.
He's immune to Bend Time and can use powers too. After you win the fight, you can choose to spare him or to kill him.

Oh whoops

I just
blinked behind him and cut his throat, like i did with every other assassination in the game

God I love this game. It goes against a lot of what this generation has been about and I can only hope it means developers are getting weary of scripted, heavily cinematic games. With Blink the game almost reminds me of a platformer, and combine that with the great stealth, it's so fun. I really like that it feels so gamey.

BKJest

I wish they had several different non-lethal takedowns. In Deus there were so many. My favorite one was if a guy turned and saw you and was about to yell - your non-lethal takedown was just knocking his ass out in one punch. That was so great. Choking guys out the same way gets a bit boring and when a guy turns and sees me I may not want to kill him but thats basically my only option at that point.
That part is by design though (I guess). Since it has a positive impact on your game it is only natural that is harder to achive than killing the enemies.

Have probably put 20 hours into this game already and only just finished the Boyle mission. Saving my thoughts on the game until I get all the way through.

I laugh every time Pendelton asks where Wallace is though. It's in there too many times to be coincidence.

DukeBobby

Have probably put 20 hours into this game already and only just finished the Boyle mission. Saving my thoughts on the game until I get all the way through.

I laugh every time Pendelton asks where Wallace is though. It's in there too many times to be coincidence.

I noticed this too. It has to be a reference.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there any way to tell if you've killed someone or alerted someone during a mission (like in a menu..."official" tracker?). I got 1 kill during my last mission and I honestly have no idea what it was.

epmode

Even though I love this game and all of the ridiculous character powers, there's something to be said for the purity of Thief 1+2. I still love the light mechanic and stalking someone without Blink is still something special.

I apologise if this has been talked about, but is anyone else surprised by some of the things the heart says about people?

I accidentally pressed x when I was highlighting one of the servants in the pub and it said something like all she thinks about is killing herself. the next one was worse with it saying something like she wants to lay down in a square and die.

talk about bringing you down.

I apologise if this has been talked about, but is anyone else surprised by some of the things the heart says about people?

I accidentally pressed x when I was highlighting one of the servants in the pub and it said something like all she thinks about is killing herself. the next one was worse with it saying something like she wants to lay down in a square and die.

talk about bringing you down.
Dude,
when I used it on Lydia the maid once it said if she lived to the next day she'd just be killed by weepers.
That was a bummer.

Dude,
when I used it on Lydia the maid once it said if she lived to the next day she'd just be killed by weepers.
That was a bummer.

wow. I haven't heard that one, but no-one messes with her. I'm going to make it my mission to destroy them all.

I did have one where it says the npc spies for the overseers, it took a lot of willpower not to slice that traitor's throat.

LukeSmith

The game's stealth rules aren't terribly clear to me (Mission 2), similarly neither are the "no kills" rules.

If a guy shoots me, and I stop time, possess him and move him in front of the bullets does it count as me killing him?

Similarly if I get jumped by dudes in an alley and I'm trying to not kill anyone what's the course of action? Slow time and run/blink away?

KePoW

Banned

I agree with that, HR had some awesome animations.

I also noticed in Dishonored that if you shoot enemies with the pistol, they all fly back and die with the same exact animation. It's very jarring and unrealistic.

jett

D-Member
Finished it, took me a heck of a long time, I don't understand those 7 hour impressions we got. Awesome, awesome game. Between this and Deus Ex we are witnessing a proper stealth genre revival of sorts. I really enjoyed how you could neutralize targets without killing them. I think I got about 47 kills on the first mission but I restrained myself later on(mostly cause the rats annoy me), ended with my chaos level on low. Still killed a few, mostly those who deserved it. :p Gameplay is really great, animationa and overall presentation is top notch too. Dark Vision kind of spoils things a bit and I'm glad I didn't make much use of it until the end. Wallhacks just shouldn't be implemented in games. Speaking of the end, the ending is unsatisfying but that's how it goes with these sorts of games usually.

It's just a great, straight up stealth game. A GOTY candidate for me. I'll probably do a Rambo playthrough where I kill everything in sight. :p

Zeliard

It's just a great, straight up stealth game. A GOTY candidate for me. I'll probably do a Rambo playthrough where I kill everything in sight. :p

Do lethal stealth. It's so fun trying to find various ways to kill fools without alerting anyone.

The non-lethal way to do the
Boyle mission was creepy as hell. The guys mask just amplified the creep factor.
It was also the only assassination I did non-lethally.

Zeliard

The game's stealth rules aren't terribly clear to me (Mission 2), similarly neither are the "no kills" rules.

If a guy shoots me, and I stop time, possess him and move him in front of the bullets does it count as me killing him?

I think indirectly killing people counts as a kill, so I assume so. I know that leaving bodies around to be eaten by rats or letting them fall in the water to drown counts as a kill.

Similarly if I get jumped by dudes in an alley and I'm trying to not kill anyone what's the course of action? Slow time and run/blink away?

I've been brutalizing everyone so I'm not sure, but I assume simply losing them would work.

PC Gamer has a low chaos/no kills/ghost primer here that might be helpful:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/08/d...chaos-no-kills-and-ghost-ratings-no-spoilers/

Dead

well not really...yet
Finished it, took me a heck of a long time, I don't understand those 7 hour impressions we got. Awesome, awesome game. Between this and Deus Ex we are witnessing a proper stealth genre revival of sorts. I really enjoyed how you could neutralize targets without killing them. I think I got about 47 kills on the first mission but I restrained myself later on(mostly cause the rats annoy me), ended with my chaos level on low. Still killed a few, mostly those who deserved it. :p Gameplay is really great, animationa and overall presentation is top notch too. Dark Vision kind of spoils things a bit and I'm glad I didn't make much use of it until the end. Wallhacks just shouldn't be implemented in games. Speaking of the end, the ending is unsatisfying but that's how it goes with these sorts of games usually.

Seriously. Im at like 5 hours after the prologue + first assassination mission

Anyone remember this? "My ghost and no kills playthrough took 22 hours. That’s without exploring every nook and cranny, and knowing the solution to everything beforehand." Fro Dan Todd the Level Designer.

Either he was lying out of his ass, or he sucks at stealth. Maybe he was just doing it wrong. Either way, my Ghost/No Kill/Non-Lethal playthrough took around 12-13 hours.

jett

D-Member
Is there a "medium" chaos ending or just high and low? Watched the high chaos endgame on youtube and man that's certainly different.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Anyone remember this? "My ghost and no kills playthrough took 22 hours. That’s without exploring every nook and cranny, and knowing the solution to everything beforehand." Fro Dan Todd the Level Designer.

Either he was lying out of his ass, or he sucks at stealth. Maybe he was just doing it wrong. Either way, my Ghost/No Kill/Non-Lethal playthrough took around 12-13 hours.

Commence the dick waiving.

Seriously ever though of the simple fact that as with humans in general not everyone is an equal, which also applies to gaming?

Seriously. Im at like 5 hours after the prologue + first assassination mission

Yeah, the only way I can imagine 12 hours if you're just using an ingame timer or something...steam shows me playing 28 hours for 1 and a 3rd playthroughs? well whatever, to be honest it could actually have been shorter.

Dennis

Banned
Don't how long I have played cause I alt-tab like a mofo but if you explore every nook and cranny this is not a short game.

I feel I am getting my moneys worth. No complaints there.

Bricky

I'm doing a ghost run on very hard for my first time through the game, and have to say I actually don't find it that hard at all. Just keep your sleep darts and blink ready and they'll never even know you were there. Although I have to say it would probably be a lot harder in the console-versions ('F5, shit, F9, F5, F5, F5, F5, damn, F9...').

Absolutely going to do a bloodbath-run on my second run though, I've already seen so many options to make awesome kills I can't wait to start over. ;)

Okay, haven't read the topic, but I have a question I don't know has been answered.

If there's a rat plague pandemic, why are people eating skewered rats?

Enco

The kidnapping mission (mission 3?) was pretty short compared to the first two.

It was pretty cool but the others were stronger.

SJRB

Gold Member
According Steam I played for 8 hours, just did the Golden Cat mission. I loved how elaborate the layout was. Unfortunately [I guess] I entered the building through a sweetspot that lead to all objectives without opposition. All in all I was done in 10 minutes. Still, never felt more like a badass than during this mission, it's just so awesome to sneak around, observing people from a ledge and whatnot. Blink is the coolest gameplay mechanic in a long, long time.

The non-lethal outcome is way, way more brutal than if I just would've slit their throat.

This game is fairly brutal in general. Goodbye letters on corpses succombed to the plague, people who are suspected as infected get stabbed in the middle of the streets. And that alley with the puking people was harsh too, especially
that little razzia where they got killed mercilessly by the enforcers

Top Bottom