• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Dennis

Banned
Flooded District just goes on and on and on.....

Definitely weaker and more linear than the previous missions.

Why does every single open or non-linear game became worse nearing the end?

Its like the devs just run out of steam and go: "fuck it, I am tired, lets just make some corridors."

Just been to the masquerade party, absolutely loving the game and getting a little worried that it's going to be over soon! Am I close to the end?

Its like the devs just run out of steam and go: "fuck it, I am tired, lets just make some corridors."

I thought it was pretty big, actually.

Don't worry, it picks up again :)

It's definitely big compared to the last half or quarter of the game.

Well, what comes after that is pretty straightforward for story reasons. It'd feel like filler otherwise. The last level was also really well done.
The Dunwall Tower level wasn't small, it was just... underused. There could be so much stuff to do in there, but...

Sielys

So even though it was never explicitly stated,
the heart the Outsider gives you is the Empress's heart, right? It seems that way, from some of the things it says about Emily, and about the world.

Torraz

So even though it was never explicitly stated,
the heart the Outsider gives you is the Empress's heart, right? It seems that way, from some of the things it says about Emily, and about the world.

But how
does the Empress's heart know these tidbits about random soldiers etc? I considered it being her heart too, but in the end I would have guessed that it was the outsider's own heart

SJRB

Gold Member
Third mission question:
is Pratchett a person of interest? I just went into his house and choked him out to get the rune, but I need to know is he's not someone I should talk to for a sidemission or something

Edit - never mind, I reloaded an earlier save and stole it without choking him out. Closed the safe back and even turned the numbers. Even though this makes no difference whatsoever for the ingame world or characters, just the thought of this guy unlocking and opening his safe only to find it to be empty makes me giggle.

Is there any way to tell if you've killed someone or alerted someone during a mission (like in a menu..."official" tracker?). I got 1 kill during my last mission and I honestly have no idea what it was.

What happened to me a couple of times was after choking someone out, I'd toss the body in a spot which the game decided was a long enough fall to kill them, even though it didn't seem that way.

Luigi87

Just completed the game with
Clean Hands
and
Ghost
. Clocked about 21 hours. Great game.

A tad disappointed there is no achievement for beating it on Very Hard, but c'est la vie.

jett

D-Member
Hmm I wish the game hadn't told me about chaos changing stuff in the loading screens, seems like I missed a lot of cool killing methods by trying to be sort of peaceful and going for a good ending. :p Didn't even bother getting devouring swarm, or using the time stop at all.

BTW, to change your chaos stuff do you have to start a new game or is just replaying missions from the menu good enough? And there's just two endings, right?

Hmm I wish the game hadn't told me about chaos changing stuff in the loading screens, seems like I missed a lot of cool killing methods by trying to be sort of peaceful and going for a good ending. :p Didn't even bother getting devouring swarm, or using the time stop at all.

BTW, to change your chaos stuff do you have to start a new game or is just replaying missions from the menu good enough? And there's just two endings, right?
2 and a half? Haha! I have seen two different High Chaos endings that were just a bit different.

Since replaying missions from the menu is based off of your most recent save, you could probably start creating chaos around mission 6 or so and get a High Chaos ending.

Eusis

That lone tutorial message is telling enough. They don't trust a lot of gamers to be able to decipher that sort of thing on their own, and frankly, I don't blame them at all.

I'm not criticizing Arkane for it. I'm just saying that's the state of things.
Yeah, I thought similarly. That we were so inundated with corridor shooters that the idea there can be more than one path is mind blowing. If things were at least more on a Doom/Goldeneye level of being open still I doubt it'd have been AS necessary.
But how
does the Empress's heart know these tidbits about random soldiers etc? I considered it being her heart too, but in the end I would have guessed that it was the outsider's own heart
I think
the heart's been enchanted by the Outsider, and/or being in that state allows her to observe things she couldn't as a normal human. She genuinely is amazed at what she knows, and I don't see the Outsider giving a single fuck if, say, you decided to use your powers to slaughter an entire area whereas the Heart is appalled at "your hypocrisy".

stufte

So during the
Granny Rags "boss fight" you can't just sleeping dart her and still get the clean hands achievement
?? Weak.

A lot of unconscious guards met their death that day. I couldn't resist chucking them over.

I resisted, other than one guard who saw me and I had to slit his throat quickly, but I absolutely loved going from rooftop to rooftop. I barely hit the ground that entire mission.

The question is: who else got to the top of the bridge like I did?

I'm sure lots of people did because it's designed in that way to get your attention, but I felt pretty damn cool doing it that way.

Eusis

So during the
Granny Rags "boss fight" you can't just sleeping dart her and still get the clean hands achievement
?? Weak.
Actually, yes you can.
But you need to do something first, and that's destroying the cameo. It won't instantly kill her, it'll just remove her immunity from death, after that she can be disposed of however you want (except Rat Swarm, she just instant kills them and teleports away).

Solo

Just finished the
costume party
mission and got the
Lord Regent
mission....the fuck? Assuming this is the final mission, the game IS pretty short!

Sielys

Yeah, I thought similarly. That we were so inundated with corridor shooters that the idea there can be more than one path is mind blowing. If things were at least more on a Doom/Goldeneye level of being open still I doubt it'd have been AS necessary.

I think
the heart's been enchanted by the Outsider, and/or being in that state allows her to observe things she couldn't as a normal human. She genuinely is amazed at what she knows, and I don't see the Outsider giving a single fuck if, say, you decided to use your powers to slaughter an entire area whereas the Heart is appalled at "your hypocrisy".

Yes, I remember
one particular quote was something to the effect of "Why do I know these things?"

Revenant

Finally got to play a bit more, start getting abilities. playing with most of the UI stuff turned off, really makes it that much better and even a little intimidating.

Really hoping this doesn't bomb, the good news is the steam players total seems to be slowly rising. Hopefully the good critical reception and some good word of mouth help this game out.

Derrick01

Banned
I resisted, other than one guard who saw me and I had to slit his throat quickly, but I absolutely loved going from rooftop to rooftop. I barely hit the ground that entire mission.

I'm sure lots of people did because it's designed in that way to get your attention, but I felt pretty damn cool doing it that way.

Yeah I made it to the top kind of by accident but I just kept climbing. I was a bit surprised to see the achievement pop on the bottom when I did which was a cool little extra. It was fun getting up there.

Just finished the
costume party
mission and got the
Lord Regent
mission....the fuck? Assuming this is the final mission, the game IS pretty short!

You have more to do but not a ton.

(very late game spoilers, do NOT read unless you finished)

I wish they would have given a full mission to each of the 3 betrayers. Would it have been a little corny story wise and just a reason to extend the game's length further? Yes. But would anyone have complained if we got 2 extra missions designed like the first few to get rid of Pendleton and Martin and then go on to the current last mission? I doubt it.

ctrayne

One of the other things I loved were the cross-mission items that you can get your hands on - an invitation to the party in Mission 5 is obtainable in either Mission 2 or 3, and the skeleton key to the tower is obtainable in Mission 5.

The inter-connectivity of the in-game fiction, the items, the characters and the missions themselves elevate the game even higher. I love it.

Edit: oh, and on my Clean Hands/Ghost/Flesh and Steel playthrough, I basically Thief'd my way through almost everything, even the Flooded District. I didn't even knock people out, just stealthed and blinked. Twas awesome and quite fun. I never even came across the confrontation between
Granny Rags and Slackjaw
. The gate out of the sewers was just unlocked and there wasn't a thug there to talk to. Interesting.

Basically, if you are going for the Clean Hands achievement, I would consider doing it that way and not trying to choke out a ton of people. And so long as you don't hear the (awesome) piano sound effect, you are good to go for Ghost as well.

(very late game spoilers, do NOT read unless you finished)
I wish they would have given a full mission to each of the 3 betrayers. Would it have been a little corny story wise and just a reason to extend the game's length further? Yes. But would anyone have complained if we got 2 extra missions designed like the first few to get rid of Pendleton and Martin and then go on to the current last mission? I doubt it.

Totally would go for that.

I know Samuel tells you to turn off the lights (why do you have to turn off the lights in the daytime anyway?), but if he explained where they are I missed it. I played with objective markers off, so I ended up having to run back after completing the main objective just to do this shit. Really a bad side mission in every way.

I know Samuel tells you to turn off the lights (why do you have to turn off the lights in the daytime anyway?), but if he explained where they are I missed it. I played with objective markers off, so I ended up having to run back after completing the main objective just to do this shit. Really a bad side mission in every way.

The objective markers are pretty essential for me. I think I'd get lost and miss a lot of stuff if I didn't have a rough idea of where I was heading.

Najaf

What difficulty is a good balance? I've heard some from some that normal is too easy for someone with a good amount of experience under the belt. Suggestions?

Jack_AG

Banned

Games are often created out-of-order - much like books, music, movies, etc.

Perhaps it was one of the first created and after playtesting, found to be too linear.

But, yes, a few missions/level designs are quite a bit too linear.

Jack_AG

Banned
Just completed the game with
Clean Hands
and
Ghost
. Clocked about 21 hours. Great game.

A tad disappointed there is no achievement for beating it on Very Hard, but c'est la vie.
Yep - got quite pissed about that on my 2nd playthrough. Now I'm just gunning for trophies so I really don't care what difficulty its on now after doing Clean Hands and only using Blink on very hard.

Game still wasn't that difficult on Very Hard. I would almost suggest it should be the default setting on 1st playthrough

taoofjord

I've got about 18 hours on the game now and from what I've heard I'm only 2/3 of the way through. I actually think this is better than Thief 1 and 2 and I can't believe I'm saying that. The writing is fantastic and knows how to be rich but it never gets in the player's way. And the art... my god. Just mindblowing.

Mission 4 was NUTS.

Also, I highly recommend turning off the crosshairs (and other UI elements). It makes shooting so much more fair in the game world.

Andrew.

Banned
Mission 4 vibes were true this:

YHnsf.jpg

d00d3n

I don't get how some of you completed the game in 8-12 hours. I just finished the initial sidequests in the first mission area and I guess I am about mid main quest. My steam counter says 12 hours. Not being seen by anyone, knocking out every enemy, placing every knocked out enemy in stacks in dark places, reading texts, reloading after messing around and exploring/looting everything (without vision enhancement) takes a ridiculous amount of time. The power gaming hooks in the game are almost too compulsive considering the time requirement.
One detail that bothers me is that my knocked out enemies start to disappear after some time. It kind of defeats the purpose of being a control freak power gaming psycho when the game undoes your work like that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ugh man, the game's just frustrating me by random alarms or alerts I feel I have no control of, so I think I'm gonna stop playing and see if I actually like the game next time I play it.

Too bad because I really liked the first few missions, but both the
Lady Boyle
and
Lord Regent
missions feel unbearably bugged, and I'm experienced enough with these kinds of games not to make silly mistakes like leave bodies where they can be found or go around running everywhere, but I had to replay the
Lady Boyle
mission three times and the game just wore down my patience.

I really can't believe I'm saying this :/

ctrayne

Sorry if this has come up, but it bears repeating (very minor spoilers):

First safe in the game opens with the combo: 451

I flipped.

If this number means nothing to you, check this out.

Lady Boyle
and
Lord Regent
missions feel unbearably bugged, and I'm experienced enough with these kinds of games not to make silly mistakes like leave bodies where they can be found or go around running everywhere, but I had to replay the
Lady Boyle

I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with it. My ghost/no-kills playthrough involved basically blinking and hiding; I only knocked out about 2 people the whole game. It worked, and without any real glitches - maybe try that method?

Not sure what's up with Mission 5 though. That was nothing but a joy for me. No bugs or glitches to speak of, in fact the whole game feels pretty solid. What platform are you on?

I'm in
The Flooded District
. After being spoiled by so many pretty and striking places, this place is a bit boring/flat.

Ugh man, the game's just frustrating me by random alarms or alerts I feel I have no control of, so I think I'm gonna stop playing and see if I actually like the game next time I play it.

Lady Boyle
and
Lord Regent
Lady Boyle

Sorry to hear it. I'm just passed those missions and throughout the whole game not one alert has ever seemed random or uncalled for.

Foxix Von

About to start playing for the first time right now. What's the general consensus on the difficulty? Should I play on hard? Or is this one of the few games where normal is actually normal difficulty?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game

I killed absolutely no one and still did not get Clean Hands. Apparently there is a bug with Granny Rags that causes this. :/

Also loved the assassin mission reference to the Thief 1 training mission ("Stay out of the light and avoid being seen.")

Overall, a very good game. It's really stoked my fires for Thief 4.

About to start playing for the first time right now. What's the general consensus on the difficulty? Should I play on hard? Or is this one of the few games where normal is actually normal difficulty?
I played on Very Hard and had a Very Good Time. Give that a shot and see if it's to your liking.

Foxix Von

Just finished the game

I killed absolutely no one and still did not get Clean Hands. Apparently there is a bug with Granny Rags that causes this. :/

Also loved the assassin mission reference to the Thief 1 training mission ("Stay out of the light and avoid being seen.")

Overall, a very good game. It's really stoked my fires for Thief 4.

I played on Very Hard and had a Very Good Time. Give that a shot and see if it's to your liking.

Thanks for the heads up! :D I'll start Hard, like I usually do

Top Bottom