• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Just finished the game

I killed absolutely no one and still did not get Clean Hands. Apparently there is a bug with Granny Rags that causes this. :/

Also loved the assassin mission reference to the Thief 1 training mission ("Stay out of the light and avoid being seen.")

Overall, a very good game. It's really stoked my fires for Thief 4.

I played on Very Hard and had a Very Good Time. Give that a shot and see if it's to your liking.
Yeah, if you see them in the last mission they are in together, just take the key and run. Don't even talk to either of them.

massoluk

Banned
Ahh fuck the costume stage. I went through it till almost near the end when it turned out my cover was blown since the very beginning, and everyone there have turned hostile. No reloading save file unless I want to replay the last hour. Son of a bitch, all those effort into making a pure stealth, I ended up just stopping time and run to my target, stabbing in rage and just ran for the exit.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Derrick01

Banned
I feel like the only one who had an easy time with the
party mission
. Once I was inside I finished it in the non lethal way in about 10-15 minutes. I didn't even make it to the 2nd floor or really explore the outside parts.

Eusis

Just finished the game

I killed absolutely no one and still did not get Clean Hands. Apparently there is a bug with Granny Rags that causes this. :/

Also loved the assassin mission reference to the Thief 1 training mission ("Stay out of the light and avoid being seen.")
I was afraid that could've been the case. Got ONE kill, had no idea how that could have happened figuring maybe an enemy fell into water or some weeper fell into a shallow pool, but I guess it just acts as if I killed
Granny Rags
anyway.

EDIT: Nope, a quick run still gave me that one kill. Actually, I found out
a thug will commit suicide
, I wonder if that could be the cause? Or maybe
fighting Daud
is bugged.

Derrick01

Banned

I dunno I didn't really feel the need when they were making it so easy for me. It's easy to find out which one is which just from everyone talking (over each other too, very annoying) and the odd note/book laying around. And then someone approached me with the alternate solution and it was much much easier to do than the other missions, I didn't even have to do anything to the target at the party. I
told her she was in danger and she just went down to the basement where the guy was already waiting and I knocked her out. Mission complete. From there it was easy escaping

I'm definitely going to try a different approach when I get to that point on my 2nd run.

ScOULaris

party mission
. Once I was inside I finished it in the non lethal way in about 10-15 minutes. I didn't even make it to the 2nd floor or really explore the outside parts.

I took my time on that mission because exploring the house was just so much fun. Tons of interesting stuff going on, and there were cool little details everywhere.

Once I was ready, I asked
Lady Boyle
to accompany me to the music room and then STABBED HER RIGHT IN THE FUCKING FACE!

Since I had the ability that makes bodies disappear after they die, her lifeless body quickly evaporated into nothingness and I strolled out of that party like a BAU5.

I dunno I didn't really feel the need when they were making it so easy for me. It's easy to find out which one is which just from everyone talking (over each other too, very annoying) and the odd note/book laying around. And then someone approached me with the alternate solution and it was much much easier to do than the other missions, I didn't even have to do anything to the target at the party. I
told her she was in danger and she just went down to the basement where the guy was already waiting and I knocked her out. Mission complete. From there it was easy escaping

I'm definitely going to try a different approach when I get to that point on my 2nd run.
Oh so thats what happens when you tell her she is in danger. I had her meet me in the music room and went off to make sure I had cleared out all the guards by the cellar. I would possess her and walk downstairs after that, but to my surprise when I came back up from the cellars she was already on her way down! Made my life easier.
Still explored that place from top to bottom though. I love exploring in this game.

Duxxy3

Yea totally agreed, I just wish developers would stop using it.

If it cuts out years of development time, it's not a bad thing. Maybe the last guardian and versus XIII would be done already if they didn't screw around so much with the game engine.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with it. My ghost/no-kills playthrough involved basically blinking and hiding; I only knocked out about 2 people the whole game. It worked, and without any real glitches - maybe try that method?

Not sure what's up with Mission 5 though. That was nothing but a joy for me. No bugs or glitches to speak of, in fact the whole game feels pretty solid. What platform are you on?
Sorry to hear it. I'm just passed those missions and throughout the whole game not one alert has ever seemed random or uncalled for.
Maybe I'm having bad luck, but I find sometimes you're not in the "zone" to play some games. Better to leave them for when you are.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dammit. I think I totally fucked up the nonlethal Lady Boyle solution.
I talked to her before I located the Lord that'll take her so she already walked down to the cellar. She won't speak to me again. :(

Jack_AG

Banned
I talked to her before I located the Lord that'll take her so she already walked down to the cellar. She won't speak to me again. :(
You can always
choke hold and make a run for it - lose the body - go into hiding and come back again when guards retreat. As long as nobody dies - you should be good. Running from guards is always an option. Harder when you are carrying a body but maybe you can get away with it?

Eusis

If she's STILL
down there then just knock her out and carry her over. If she isn't, well, depending on your skill set you could just possess her and walk down, I wasted a lot of MP but it's what I did when I had her go upstairs, thinking being straight to the point wasn't the best idea.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If she's STILL
down there then just knock her out and carry her over. If she isn't, well, depending on your skill set you could just possess her and walk down, I wasted a lot of MP but it's what I did when I had her go upstairs, thinking being straight to the point wasn't the best idea.
Can't possess people.

Jack_AG

Banned
Edit, after the fact:

Damn, Robo. Hmmm... well try my original approach - might be a bit brutal but I believe it can be done... maybe if you knock out a few guards?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Haha. Got it!
Bent time just as she passed by the cellar entrance, hit her with a sleep dart and blinked to the stairs before the Overseer could start playing his music box. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Carbonox

Decided to just go ahead and buy the game yesterday. Currently on the second proper mission where you
go to rescue the kid. Done all of that and killed the bros but I didn't realise the art dealer would disappear once you kill the first brother. Bit annoying. I take it you needed to get the code BEFORE you start going after the brothers? Slackjaw can fuck off thinking he'd get the code from me.

Really fun game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Decided to just go ahead and buy the game yesterday. Currently on the second proper mission where you
go to rescue the kid. Done all of that and killed the bros but I didn't realise the art dealer would disappear once you kill the first brother. Bit annoying. I take it you needed to get the code BEFORE you start going after the brothers? Slackjaw can fuck off thinking he'd get the code from me.

Really fun game.
I just gave Slackjaw the code to an empty safe ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
smh @ Flooded District hate.

I did, I'm on the 2nd run now. That's usually where I start to see flaws in a shorter, non RPG game. I end up having to separate the classics and these games in my head so I don't end up completely hating them for being dumbed down.

One day they'll release a game that makes you, Confidence Man, me, and even Dennis happy. And then we will all be a peace.

Tess3ract

Banned
Mission 4 vibes were true this:

YHnsf.jpg
That was a shit mission in HL2.

party mission

Same here. I blew through the entire thing without getting in trouble or killing anyone. Everything fell into my lap. 30 minutes and I was done.

Well, I did shoot Mr Wolf in the face. But he was a dick.

epmode

first-person platforming is never a good example of anything, especially when you have no body awareness
Not that it makes a difference when the platforming is so fudged in the player's favor. Precarious walkways in Half-Life 2 are a lot wider than the seem, jumps are easier, etc.

DocSeuss

Sorry if this has come up, but it bears repeating (very minor spoilers):

First safe in the game opens with the combo: 451

I flipped.

If this number means nothing to you, check this out.

Urban Dictionary has it wrong. It didn't first appear in Deus Ex, it first appeared in System Shock.

This is apparently the full story. Did Human Revolution have a 451?

epmode

I'm honestly surprised to hear people complaining about the bridge level in HL2. I guess there's a single jump at the very end of the backtracking that might kill you but you can get by nearly the entire section without jumping.

Unless the complaint is that walking over the beams themselves is tough. I don't agree but that makes more sense.

Jack_AG

Banned
Haha. Got it!
Bent time just as she passed by the cellar entrance, hit her with a sleep dart and blinked to the stairs before the Overseer could start playing his music box. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Fucking a! Good job on the takedown, brother!

Sanctuary

Does anyone know of a coin guide? One in particular that simply states how many are in a particular area? I know it's 1110 or whatever per mission, and I'm not looking for exact locations. I'm just tired of leaving an area that has been thoroughly explored with 400 coins assuming that's all that there was for that part of the mission. Then finishing the mission with only 700ish total.

ctrayne

On my first playthrough, I got the black costumed Lady Boyle, and instead of what you described,
she invited me up to her room (which I had already ransacked, of course) and talked about how there was this guy she was seeing but only because of his connections, and that she was not interested in him at all. Darkly funny, since once alone I knocked her out, snuck her downstairs and let her desperate lover whisk her away.
I enjoyed that version of events.

DukeBobby

21 hours played and just reached the last mission. Unlike a lot of you, I actually enjoyed the Flooded District, but I agree that it did feel a little out of place. However, I did think it was the most visually stunning mission in the game.

Choc

Banned
(very late game spoilers, do NOT read unless you finished)

I wish they would have given a full mission to each of the 3 betrayers. Would it have been a little corny story wise and just a reason to extend the game's length further? Yes. But would anyone have complained if we got 2 extra missions designed like the first few to get rid of Pendleton and Martin and then go on to the current last mission? I doubt it.

DLC

Eusis

Urban Dictionary has it wrong. It didn't first appear in Deus Ex, it first appeared in System Shock.

This is apparently the full story. Did Human Revolution have a 451?
Actually, Urban Dictionary goes on to mention SS1, so I guess it was going from the angle of which was most popular (or was badly edited/expanded, whichver). If you know when the games came out you'd realize SS1 had it beat.

Derrick01

Banned

I'd be up for it but they'd have to change the main story around a little bit to make it work. Not a lot but a bit.

EatChildren said:
One day they'll release a game that makes you, Confidence Man, me, and even Dennis happy. And then we will all be a peace.

I like it quite a bit and it might be my goty depending on how AC3, Far Cry 3 and Hitman turn out (the latter I have constantly diminishing hopes for). I just think it could be a lot better if they dared to let people get frustrated and lost by making it a little deeper.

Milamber

Finished the prologue and the first mission, and I'm 8 hours in now. This is gonna take a while.

Anyone quick saving / loading when you're at the bar & just playing with the npc's there by laying razor wire mine traps in their set path? Hilarious. I noticed that while every man gibs, the women are indestructible. They just lay down & die.

hteng

Banned
messing around with time bend level 2 is fun! time bend, shoot arrows, bullets, watch them suspend in mid air and once released, hit multiple guards at the same time. I had a fully upgraded crossbow, and i managed to completely surround one guard with arrows in a circular motion and watch him get pierced to hell hahahaha

Top Bottom