• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

ctrayne

This is old, but a good read that sheds some light (ha) on the stealth mechanics, particularly sound:

http://sneakybastards.net/theobserver/sound-of-silence/

We’re really curious to see how people are going to respond to the stealth model, by the way. Because some people might expect a pure light and shadow model. Some people might expect just a view cone based on their experience with Metal Gear, or whatever. And we have this thing where it’s like, some sound – especially if you’re not sneaking – and a view cone, but the view cone is complex – it’s squashed at the top, so you can be in the rafters so they won’t see you as well. Their ramp-up is different based on difficulty level. And also, at a distance – at a significant distance, I don’t know, fifty yards or something like that – shadow suddenly matters a lot. If you’re next to a dumpster fifty yards away, the guy won’t see you if he’s just walking his patrol. But if you’re close to him in shadow, he’s going to see you if you’re in his vision cone.

Very cool. Also, I believe it was mentioned elsewhere that once an alarm is triggered, enemies in the area never return to a fully relaxed or passive state - they know you are there. Love that.

Deus Ex + Bioshock 2 + Thief

+ maybe a hint of the Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes aesthetic.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why the fuck did they reveal all the powers in the playable builds at E3, gamescom or eurogamer expo???

Now i know all the powers in the game.
Fuck you Arkane.

ctrayne

Why the fuck did they reveal all the powers in the playable builds at E3, gamescom or eurogamer expo???

Fuck you Arkane.

I would think this is a good thing. They want to show what you can do; that's half the point of the game. There's probably more still anyway.

Derrick01

Banned

Fuck you Arkane.

Because the game isn't about the powers necessarily. It's about the level design and how it lets you use those powers. That's why I'm very cautious about watching huge chunks of some levels in all of these videos they put out. It's dangerous to show that much.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Based on what I've seen, the game seems to have far more in common with Thief than anything else, with a dash of Hitman level design, and some minimalist Deus Ex for good measure. By and large, it looks like a spiritual successor to Thief built on the design philosophy of Hitman.

branny

Fuck you Arkane.
Lol, I'm more mad the active ones they've shown seem to be all we're getting.

Sn4ke_911

I would think this is a good thing. They want to show what you can do; that's half the point of the game. There's probably more still anyway.
It ruins every fun/surprise moment, when you find a new power you would say "holy shit i can posses a fish?! this game is awesome"

but when i get this ability now i say "oh cool now i can posses animals".

So not cool Arkane i'm actually a bit pissed. Who the hell thought revealing all powers would be a good idea??

TommyT

Hope the game does well. I was real tentative until actually playing it and going to the PAX event where you could interact with people masquerading as characters from the game (see: the moth-headed lady) whilst trying to 'solve' the mystery of the manor. Playing the demo again after that gave me a different feel for the game than I originally had playing it and pushed it from a maybe to a most likely.

cackhyena

Because the game isn't about the powers necessarily. It's about the level design and how it lets you use those powers. That's why I'm very cautious about watching huge chunks of some levels in all of these videos they put out. It's dangerous to show that much.

I'm just wondering how much different levels get. Only footage I've watched shows everything in this city so far. Have they hinted it will take place in parts outside the city?

Sn4ke_911

It would be pretty much the same if Nintendo showed all Zelda items before release on there E3 demo. So many people would have been pissed. Why is that not the case for Dishonored? It's ok for you guys when you already know half the fun like discovering new powers?

RedSwirl

Based on what I've seen, the game seems to have far more in common with Thief than anything else, with a dash of Hitman level design, and some minimalist Deus Ex for good measure. By and large, it looks like a spiritual successor to Thief built on the design philosophy of Hitman.

Would I get anything out of playing my unplayed copies of Thief and Thief II before trying out Dishonored?

Walked into a gamestop yesterday and the employee asked if I heard about Dishonored. I replied, yes and that I have already ordered it on steam and was also excited for it. He then said, "Yeah...I'm really trying to push it to people that walk in because it hasn't been getting enough press. I explain it to people like Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed." Which caused a dumb-founded expression on my face....Why AC? Because the character wears a hood? I then asked if he ever played Thief or Deus Ex. He replied, "I never got a chance to play Deus Ex and I have never heard of Thief."

I slowly walked away from the counter...

Would I get anything out of playing my unplayed copies of Thief and Thief II before trying out Dishonored?

No. But you would if you played Thief 3!

Riposte

Walked into a gamestop yesterday and the employee asked if I heard about Dishonored. I replied, yes and that I have already ordered it on steam and was also excited for it. He then said, "Yeah...I'm really trying to push it to people that walk in because it hasn't been getting enough press. I explain it to people like Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed." Which caused a dumb-founded expression on my face....Why AC? Because the character wears a hood? I then asked if he ever played Thief or Deus Ex. He replied, "I never got a chance to play Deus Ex and I have never heard of Thief."

UGH CASUALS amirite???

How terrible of him to try and drum up interest for the game.

ctrayne

You ought to just play them anyway, since they are wonderful. Thief III, too.

Be sure to patch up with the brand new patches released last week.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

They're different games, and Dishonored does seem to be doing its own thing (powers, emphasis on kills, etc), so probably not. But they're good games and worth playing eventually! Maybe post-Dishonored if you have an itch to scratch.

It would be pretty much the same if Nintendo showed all Zelda items before release on there E3 demo. So many people would have been pissed. Why is that not the case for Dishonored? It's ok for you guys when you already know half the fun like discovering new powers?

Nintendo did literally this before Skyward Sword launch, spoiling every item in the game, along with a gigantic chunk of the dungeons, bosses, enemies and worlds, and I was pissed.

I'm waiting on preordering cause I want to know which version plays better. Gah I should just get 360 that's going to be safest.

ctrayne

I knew about everything you could do in Thief or Deus Ex beforehand. Not sure how else you sell a game like that. It's a complete non-issue for me. Sorry to hear it bugs you, but if possible, I would not let that detract from enjoying the game.

Sn4ke_911

Nintendo did literally this before Skyward Sword launch, spoiling every item in the game, along with a gigantic chunk of the dungeons, bosses, enemies and worlds, and I was pissed.

Well yeah if you watched every single video they've released or went to the jap official site.

but i mean you can't even playtest the game on any gaming convention without spoiling all powers.

Nintendo only showed a few items.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think it's all that comparable.

The items in Zelda games are typically used for a lot of very specific purposes which would be spoiled if revealed.

With a game like Dishonored the powers are simply potential options that can be used any number of different ways in many different combinations. It's akin to showing all of the colors in a box of crayons before picking them up to use them. You know what you have to work with but how you use it is up to you.

Zelda doesn't offer the free form gameplay of Dishonored.

ctrayne

With a game like Dishonored the powers are simply potential options that can be used any number of different ways in many different combinations. It's akin to showing all of the colors in a box of crayons before picking them up to use them. You know what you have to work with but how you use it is up to you.

This is a very good analogy. Thank you for saying so well what I poorly tried to.

EatChildren

Well yeah if you watched every single video they've released or went to the jap official site.

but i mean you can't even playtest the game on any gaming convention without spoiling all powers.

Nintendo only showed a few items.

Yeah, but I also don't think it's as much of a big deal with Dishonored, probably because I think the Deus Ex comparisons are blown waaay out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if we're able to see all skills on the skill tree right from the get go, and simply unlock what we want through runes.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

You should have knocked over his magazine rack.

Derrick01

Banned

Aren't most of the items in Zelda games rehashed anyway? The draw is the dungeon and world design.

The example you used is being upset about possessing a fish to use as a means of getting inside a target building. That's something that I would file under what I said about level design allowing special uses of your powers, not necessarily the powers themselves being spoiled.

I want this game, but I am really skeptical for some reason. I haven't been following it or anything so they are probably unfounded, but I'm worried about the overall game and the quality of the PC version.

Also the FOV is so horrible that if the .ini isn't readily available I'll definitely wait for a pd.

EatChildren

Which is similar to Dark Messiah.

Yeah, exactly.

Aren't most of the items in Zelda games rehashed anyway? The draw is the dungeon and world design.

The staples are (bow, bombs, etc), but each game usually includes an assortment of new tools that are best left to surprise players when they don't expect them, and must learn how to use them. Skyward Sword was mostly made up of returning items, and all of them were spoiled on the official website. And the dungeons.

SparkTR

I want this game, but I am really skeptical for some reason. I haven't been following it or anything so they are probably unfounded, but I'm worried about the overall game and the quality of the PC version.

Also the FOV is so horrible that if the .ini isn't readily available I'll definitely wait for a pd.

The PC version will have a FOV slider, a M/KB specific UI, a HUD-less option and texture resolution 4x greater than the console versions. I'm still skeptical about the game itself, but the PC version seems fantastic.

Hindle

Banned
Assuming this game is indeed awesome, it's going to be interesting when the games press give it 7s and 8s. If the gameplay is as deep as Deus Ex then it deserves GOTY. Watch as ME 3 gets it though.

Eideka

Banned
Solo your going to think I'm mental since I have a pretty nice rig but man my couch is sooo comfy.

Then 360 version it is. UE 3 powered games generally perform better on 360.

Controller + PC = win?
I guess not everyone has the possibilty of settling the PC elsewhere.

And you know, some folks just love to game on console and they don't have to justify themselves for that.

I'm going to be so disappointed if this game isn't good, because it's day 1 for me if it is. The premise and gameplay look so interesting.

PC is in my office with my cold fricken chair. Aww I'm insane ill just get it on PC ill be happier in the long run.

m1C1E.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
great OT - not too much info on the game so nothing gets spoiled, just a little tease. well done.

i'll definitely cop this game when it drops - looks downright amazing.

Top Bottom