• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

v0mitg0d

Just completed the game on the X360, killing practically everything in my path. Next I'm going to try a ghost run (no kills/no detections) on the PC for contrast in my review.

I can't say much because of the embargo, but what I can say is...I'm interested in seeing the discussions people will have on the 8th and the days that follow.

Oh and btw, what specifically are you looking for in a review for Dishonored?

mjc

Just completed the game on the X360, killing practically everything in my path. Next I'm going to try a ghost run (no kills/no detections) on the PC for contrast in my review.

I can't say much because of the embargo, but what I can say is...I'm interested in seeing the discussions people will have on the 8th and the days that follow.

Judging by the fact that you're going ahead with a second play through...it's probably pretty good. I hope.

ctrayne

I find details like that to be very important. A single thoughtless or annoying mechanic can potentially wreck an entire game for me.

In my eyes, the devs have openly shown, explained and demonstrated so much, I don't see how there can be any doubt the game will be, at minimum, good.

Maybe I'm not just not a hand-wringer, but I've been sold since the GI issue ages ago.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Walked into a gamestop yesterday and the employee asked if I heard about Dishonored. I replied, yes and that I have already ordered it on steam and was also excited for it. He then said, "Yeah...I'm really trying to push it to people that walk in because it hasn't been getting enough press. I explain it to people like Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed." Which caused a dumb-founded expression on my face....Why AC? Because the character wears a hood? I then asked if he ever played Thief or Deus Ex. He replied, "I never got a chance to play Deus Ex and I have never heard of Thief."

I slowly walked away from the counter...

Maybe he started playing video games this generation. That's pretty much the only explanation I can think of.

"assassin's creed because he wears a hood" made me giggle though. Dude doesn't sound particularly bright.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

You're teasing me.

- What percentage of abilities were you able to attain in a playthrough
- Whether there's any real challenge or it's a "here's a bunch of options that make everything easy, challenge yourself" kind of thing

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's not food or clothing we're talking about, it's a pre-order DLC code that I don't believe in and that Arkane was probably pushed into making. I'll consider giving it away though.

That would be appreciated. There are a couple of us in this thread who are interested in the preorder DLC, and would be happy to use the codes. :)

Though I think graywolf has priority here:

if you really don't want the code from Amazon I'd gladly take it off your hands ^_^

jcm

Cock tease.

Tex117

Banned

This, I like.

A game that isn't quite like the rest that you actually discuss.

In a review.

Just handle the usual.

Set up the game.

Gameplay (difficult, is it actually fun? Etc)

In particualry I would like to know about the narrative. Its obviously not the prettiest game ever made (though the art direction seems great). Narrative can carry it alot of the way if it does it right.

Overall impressions of why someone would like it v. someone who wouldn't.

branny

If the combat ever feels dull or shallow. If you feel like missions just become a remixed variation of the same thing over and over. Basically, if the whole thing starts feeling repetitive or not given what you have at your disposal in a standard playthrough, I guess.

Also, what Confidence Man asked. :lol

In my eyes, the devs have openly shown, explained and demonstrated so much, I don't see how there can be any doubt the game will be, at minimum, good.

Maybe I'm not just not a hand-wringer, but I've been sold since the GI issue ages ago.
Haha, I totally understand. I'm only hesitant because of the type of gamer I am. I adore intricate, free-form combat in third-person action games and fighting games, for example, and also tend to avoid stealth games because I've only genuinely enjoyed a few I played for some reason (DX:HR being the most recent, despite its problems).

The idea of using supernatural abilities (sometimes in tandem with one another) to tackle a bunch of varied, dynamic situations is what's drawing me most to Dishonored. I like feeling pressured to make the most of what I have in high-risk situations, and supposedly being capable of pulling that sort of thing off with finesse is quite the cherry on top.

I'm going into it with an open mind, but I'm also prepared to possibly enjoy Dishonored less than others who are more predisposed to the kind of game it is. :)

I can't tell if this is good or bad...

FACE

Banned
Based on what I've seen, the game seems to have far more in common with Thief than anything else, with a dash of Hitman level design, and some minimalist Deus Ex for good measure. By and large, it looks like a spiritual successor to Thief built on the design philosophy of Hitman.

My nipples are diamond hard.

Hindle

Banned
From what ive gathered you don't just assassinate targets in the game, there are other types of missions etc. I'd prefer if they kept it as just killing targets albeit in a varied amount of ways tbh.

Mechazawa

"assassin's creed because he wears a hood" made me giggle though. Dude doesn't sound particularly bright.

That was the poster's own words, not his.

Plus, if you're working at Gamestop, why the hell would you use Thief or Deus Ex as selling points? No one's going to know or care what the hell you're talking about.

Derrick01

Banned
From what ive gathered you don't just assassinate targets in the game, there are other types of missions etc. I'd prefer if they kept it as just killing targets albeit in a varied amount of ways tbh.

There are some sorts of side missions/objectives in the game. An example I saw is the character was challenged to a duel of some sort, maybe a group of drunks challenged him on a side street somewhere and he had to fight 3 or 4 guys at once. Not exactly the deepest thing ever but it shows there are side things to stumble on.

Want to get from GMG but I have nothing to go off of. All the videos look amazing and it looks to tell an interesting story, but I wish there were some early reviews.

Has anyone seen the ps3 version? I'm nervous that I should be getting the 360 instead.

Yeah I heard some played it on gamescons and jeff and sid on the ps blog said its amazing on ps3. I have both systems but I decided on PS3 version its single player only anyways so doesn't matter.

Has anyone seen the ps3 version? I'm nervous that I should be getting the 360 instead.

I'm sure it'll be fine. While there might be slight differences, UE3 games have been performing a lot better on ps3 lately. i.e. Arckham City. I also just got done playing Transformers: FoC and it looked great on PS3, some slowdown here and there, but I heard 360 was the same way.

You should always get the 360 version of a multiplatform game if it's an option. In fact I don't know why you'd even consider the ps3 one if you had both.

For some people it's about where the majority of the friends will end up. Not everyone is a multiplatform owner. In this case, it's a single player game so your point still stands.

You should always get the 360 version of a multiplatform game if it's an option. In fact I don't know why you'd even consider the ps3 one if you had both.

It doesn't matter but I didn't get it for 360 cause my live ends the same day and my controller is kinda messed up so I have to spend more money to play on it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That was the poster's own words, not his.

Plus, if you're working at Gamestop, why the hell would you use Thief or Deus Ex as selling points? No one's going to know or care what the hell you're talking about.

Plenty of people know about the new Deus Ex. You're being real judgmental of Gamestop shoppers. If the person's the kind of person who preorders games, they know enough to know about a semi popular release from last year. I always compare it to Deus Ex and Hitman.

For some people friends list / trophies / controller preference are more important that negligible technical issues. Unless it's a shit port like Skyrim or something.

Eusis

Fixed for truth.
Definitely.

For console exclusives though? The divide HAS been decreasing, and who and where it's from are just as important. Most Japanese games for example I'd be more trusting of the PS3 version, Bayonetta's the big exception and even then Platinum had Vanquish being roughly equal on 360/PS3, and Metal Gear Rising is lead on PS3. If you're going in blind on a non-Japanese game 360 is generally safest, but once the dust settles more often than not you won't really be losing out either way.

AHA-Lambda

Why am I slightly worried reading that? =s

BTW, saw copies of the box in my local mom & pop today and I can corroborate a roughly 4.6GB PS3 install.

to the guy saying he completed the game, can't we get something in the pm? Hell, I'll send you my email. lol

Can you AT THE VERY LEAST tell us if it's worth $45? lol

I think I will get the PS3 version, PC gaming is too addictive and dangerous for me. I am done with it, PS3 gaming can be easily controlled. I hope the PS3 version is good!

Top Bottom