• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Part of why I never preorder from Amazon. They tend to ship the game before Tuesday, so it gets to you on time. Makes sense, but embargos for this and XCom go up Monday, so I'd have to return it and all that bidness.

Pretty sure both will be great though. Jeff Gerstmann has pretty much indirectly said good thing about both.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Part of why I never preorder from Amazon. They tend to ship the game before Tuesday, so it gets to you on time. Makes sense, but embargos for this and XCom go up Monday, so I'd have to return it and all that bidness.

Pretty sure both will be great though. Jeff Gerstmann has pretty much indirectly said good thing about both.

Ryan Davis indirectly said Dishonored is not good, but he also said his is a dissenting opinion.

Kard8p3

Just convinced my brother to order it off of Amazon as an early birthday gift.

Can't wait, so hyped.

iXhUg1p9yjAJL.gif

You should always get the 360 version of a multiplatform game if it's an option. In fact I don't know why you'd even consider the ps3 one if you had both.

I totally agree with ya, I've mostly played 360 this generation, but most of my friends have ps3's now which has pushed me more to it. Also this may seem weird, but I just had my old 360 elite die on me and I do have a back up 4gb, but at this point in the generation I kinda want just to keep it in good shape to box up. All of my favorite games this generation (except demon's souls) I have on 360. It would be nice to have a new console to go back to 10 to 20 years down the road.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ryan Davis indirectly said Dishonored is not good, but he also said his is a dissenting opinion.
I like the Giant Bomb guys, but I don't trust their opinion on hardcore games one bit (except maybe Patrick's). I mean, Brad didn't even try Dark Souls.

ekim

Just preordered on steam. I really hope it runs on my machine. (Borderlands 2 runs around 50fps on medium settings)

ironcreed

Banned
I like the Giant Bomb guys, but I don't trust their opinion on hardcore games one bit (except maybe Patrick's). I mean, Brad didn't even try Dark Souls.

Never been high on Giant Bomb either, but go with my instinct and what appeals to me regardless of what anyone in the gaming media recommends or says to be wary of. At any rate, this game is bought. I have seen more than enough to know I'll have a great time with it.

I'll be listening to Vinny and Jeff on this one, Ryan's tastes don't really line up with my own.

Derrick01

Banned
To be honest I'm not going to trust anyone's reviews except PC oriented places like RPS. This is a game releasing on 3 platforms but the type of game it is is deeply rooted in classic PC titles and only those places, with people who have had a lot of time devoted to games like Deus Ex or Thief, will know what truly makes it good or bad.

To be honest I'm not going to trust anyone's reviews except PC oriented places like RPS. This is a game releasing on 3 platforms but the type of game it is is deeply rooted in classic PC titles and only those places, with people who have had a lot of time devoted to games like Deus Ex or Thief, will know what truly makes it good or bad.

Yeah I am with you on that. I have always liked Firing Squad and PC Gamer(Still remember that Quake 3 cover)

The only opinions I trust are from bitter, jaded, cranky, elitist PC gamers who hate everything.

Haha I got you covered.

sado

Y'know, things break...
Anyone remember how buggy Dark Messiah was? Only reason why I am holding off to see reviews first. Otherwise, it would be a day one purchase for me.

zkylon

zkylewd
Reviews as a means to decide in a purchase are pretty much useless nowadays, thanks to embargos and because you can preorder games really cheap with GMG, or you can just wait a couple months and get them 50% off or something on Steam. With backlogs as huge as mine, not buying something on release day isn't so bad, there's still dozens of other great games for you to play while waiting for a price cut.

I'm pretty excited for this game, but I've never played through any of the games its supposedly most like. Only the Bioshock demo and a bit of Human Revolution.

Tried Deus Ex a few days ago and only did the first mission. Not really digging it, can't find a good amount of sensitivity on the mouse which is bugging me. I tried Theif Gold today though, and its incredibly fun. Some really neat mechanics with the arrows and the AI actually seems pretty good and genuinely fun to play with.

Picked up all 3 Theif games, so I have them to go though. Also picked up Arx Fatalis. I really should wait to pick this up now that I have so much to play but I'll probably get it sooner rather than later.

branny

Hmm... I still have the game pre-ordered, but I might hold off on getting this right away after watching a bunch of footage again. I'm less concerned about the quality of the game than I am about whether or not I'll simply have fun playing it, and it doesn't quite seem like there's enough info out there right now for me to be able to safely determine that.

I look forward to impressions and more footage after the game comes out. I don't care if I get spoiled; I just need to know more, I think. I hope some juicy details about abilities, player progression, mission scenarios, etc. start leaking early.

GorillaJu

So what you guys are saying is you're going to listen to the opinions of people you've pre-determined are likely to agree with yours and shut out anyone who might be naysayers?

Why not just completely eschew reading reviews altogether and trusting your own opinion about whether the game is good?

It just seems so pointless to already be worried about opinions on a game you've decided you're going to like and that its your GOTY or whatever. If only people were so kind to Resident Evil, instead of declaring beforehand that its going to be shit and then seeking out reviews that agree with them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only opinion that matters is Dennis'.

Derrick01

Banned
So what you guys are saying is you're going to listen to the opinions of people you've pre-determined are likely to agree with yours and shut out anyone who might be naysayers?

Why not just completely eschew reading reviews altogether and trusting your own opinion about whether the game is good?

It just seems so pointless to already be worried about opinions on a game you've decided you're going to like and that its your GOTY or whatever. If only people were so kind to Resident Evil, instead of declaring beforehand that its going to be shit and then seeking out reviews that agree with them.

I'm saying, good review or bad, that I don't trust console places to know what makes this type of game good. They could say it's the greatest game ever and I'll ignore it until I can play it.

Them saying RE6 sucked isn't hard to do. Anyone who was paying attention to that could see how shitty it looked. There's nothing special to judge there that requires deep knowledge of a niche genre.

lucius

So we should see reviews up midnight Sunday?

I want to pre-order but still a bit worried about the gameplay.

Jintor

He said he got up to the Capra Demon and then got overwhelmed by new games and didn't go back to it.

gryz

Banned
finally watched a gameplay video of this, I'm not impressed. gameplay doesn't look very smooth and the animations and characters look awful. even though I know bethesda didn't develop it it still looks like a bethesda game with with bethesda janky gameplay.

and I don't trust people who unironically use the term "hardcore games"

GorillaJu

I'm saying, good review or bad, that I don't trust console places to know what makes this type of game good. They could say it's the greatest game ever and I'll ignore it until I can play it.

Them saying RE6 sucked isn't hard to do. Anyone who was paying attention to that could see how shitty it looked. There's nothing special to judge there that requires deep knowledge of a niche genre.

Lol at this. So Dishonored is a special, unique niche game that requires deep knowledge of the genre to appreciate? Yeah, I don't think so.

You have it pre-ordered, no? So you're going to play it and probably love it no matter what other people say. Why not just leave it at that instead of putting on the pretense that console guys (who gave BioShock X360 universal acclaim) don't know what they're talking about, because as you've so kindly noted, they clearly don't have enough knowledge of PC games to understand what makes one good.

Derrick01

Banned
You have it pre-ordered, no? So you're going to play it and probably love it no matter what other people say. Why not just leave it at that instead of putting on the pretense that console guys (who gave BioShock X360 universal acclaim) don't know what they're talking about

Exactly my point. Thank you.

branny

Lol, it's kind of the other way around for me. I hear all this craziness about how Dishonored is going to be amazing, but I'm still not convinced. I've watched video after video of it, but I still don't get where the excitement is coming from. I want to believe the hype; I just can't justify jumping in blind without more info relevant to my interests because I've been burned before. Examples of what I'd like to know: hard numbers on mana costs, all the abilities available whether they're passive or active and when they're accessible, if any of them end up being worthless in the grand scheme of things, overall game structure regarding the interplay between side-quests and missions, how much and how often you can upgrade Corvo, whether or not there's meaningful variation with the mission scenarios, what exactly changes with world chaos and what exactly causes it to change, every last detail of the melee combat, if there are other enemy types beyond the music box guys that just stand there and the usual guard fodder in addition to Tall Boys, what all of their attack patterns are if they have any, whether or not there are other weapons and ammo types beyond the ones we've seen, etc.

On that note, I enjoyed both of the RE6 demos (unlike everyone else) and am eager to get started with it since my copy came today. Watching a Mercs playthrough elicits completely different emotions from me than watching Dishonored footage. The latter leaves me cold, so I feel like I'm still missing something. Once I have all the info I need, I'll be able to figure out if the game just isn't for me. :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
finally watched a gameplay video of this, I'm not impressed. gameplay doesn't look very smooth and the animations and characters look awful. even though I know bethesda didn't develop it it still looks like a bethesda game with with bethesda janky gameplay.
Glad you took the time to let us know.

GorillaJu

Meh as I've said earlier, I've pre-ordered it and I can't fuckin wait I think it looks fantastic. I like the psuedo-cartoony art style, the exaggerated animations, etc.

But I liked BioShock so clearly I don't have the deep knowledge of this niche genre you call "PC GAMES" to know what I'm talking about.

Anyone remember how buggy Dark Messiah was? Only reason why I am holding off to see reviews first. Otherwise, it would be a day one purchase for me.

I was just playing it the other day on PC and don't remember running into anything; it ran quite well. But that was near the beginning of the game.

This may be true and honestly I think just from what I've seen, that this will probably be my favorite game this year, unless Hitman comes and does something even better. But let's not kid ourselves one bit, this on PC will be an upgraded console port. It wasn't developed with PC in mind and though it may make concessions(UI/HUD scale, Resolution options, kb/m specific controls) this is still at it's core targeted towards consoles as that is where the money is.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Max Payne 3 was a phenomenal looking on PC, Borderlands 2 is a great port, and PhysX alone, makes a huge difference in IQ and I am thankful for it.

Either way, if I'm being honest with myself, my blind fanaticisms with all the makers of this game and the genre itself, will probably have this as one of my favorite games this year.

Derrick01

Banned
This may be true and honestly I think just from what I've seen, that this will probably be my favorite game this year, unless Hitman comes and does something even better. But let's not kid ourselves one bit, this on PC will be an upgraded console port. It wasn't developed with PC in mind and though it may make concessions(UI/HUD scale, Resolution options, kb/m specific controls) this is still at it's core targeted towards consoles as that is where the money is.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Max Payne 3 was a phenomenal looking on PC, Borderlands 2 is a great port, and PhysX alone, makes a huge difference in IQ and I am thankful for it.

Either way, if I'm being honest with myself, my blind fanaticisms with all the makers of this game and the genre itself, will probably have this as one of my favorite games this year.

Yeah it was designed likely on the 360 first but the type of game it is was born as a PC genre. We just live in a time now when consoles are mainstream and strong enough to be the priority, and I'll be honest it likely won't be quite as complex or deep as the PC classics it takes inspiration from. But it's from PC game experts and still largely follows what makes them good.

Top Bottom