• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

After watching a few videos. I'm curious how the combat will control with a kb/m. I mean, controlling a knife/weapon(secondary power)/blocking. How do you guys think that'll work on a keyboard and mouse? Seems, shift and spacebar for run and jump, obviously wasd movements for controlling player character, but what is a good block key that doesn't hinder movement?

I do have a 360 controller and that is definitely and option, but I prefer my fps with a kb/m. Thoughts?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
by the way

I want to ask Nick Breckon (if he's reading the thread) - is there any hope for mod tools down the line?

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

teokrazia

After watching a few videos. I'm curious how the combat will control with a kb/m. I mean, controlling a knife/weapon(secondary power)/blocking. How do you guys think that'll work on a keyboard and mouse?

With a 10 customizable buttons mouse like my G500?
Wonderfully, as usual. :)

With a 10 customizable buttons mouse like my G500?
Wonderfully, as usual. :)

Good for you?

Now will someone who is a less snarky ass person mind taking a shot at it?

Granted I think middle mouse could be block.

I'm hoping this game is as customizable as it claims.

ZoddGutts

Well, we know one game is shit (RE6) and the other has gotten a bunch of rewards from game conventions that it was shown. Chances are that Dishonored will at least be better than RE6 unless it's a complete turd.

jcm

I'm thinking about canceling my preorder. I got it for a nice price, but that late review embargo makes me nervous. If the consensus is that the finished game sucks I'll need time to cancel it. I hate it when companies pull this shit, and I don't trust Bethesda at all.

H3xum

I really really want to day 1 this game but I don't think I'll be finished with Borderlands 2 before Halo drops so I'm just going to wait til Black Friday and hope Amazon has this guy on sale.

God, I just said Black Friday already. Where did this year go

I'm thinking about canceling my preorder. I got it for a nice price, but that late review embargo makes me nervous. If the consensus is that the finished game sucks I'll need time to cancel it. I hate it when companies pull this shit, and I don't trust Bethesda at all.

I know that fear bro.

Derrick01

Banned
I dont know which to get...this or RE6. Thoughts/advice? I really hope Dishonored gets much better reviews than RE6 did.

It's pretty much impossible for this to be worse than RE6. Don't support dumbed down AAA games for stupid people, we need to erase those from this industry.

jcm said:
I'm thinking about canceling my preorder. I got it for a nice price, but that late review embargo makes me nervous

That happens with almost every game now.

patapuf

Not to sound overly defensive but which recent game didn't have a review embargo until pretty much the day of release?

jcm

That happens with almost every game now.

Not to sound overly defensive but which recent game didn't have a review embargo until pretty much the day of release?

Yes, it's become common, but that doesn't make me feel any better about preordering an unknown quantity with a Bethesda logo on the front. All I've got a is a PS3, and Bethesda has burned me before, even accounting for the fact that they're just the publisher.

ctrayne

Yeah, it would be pretty wasteful to throw the code away. :/

Well, it's not food or clothing we're talking about, it's a pre-order DLC code that I don't believe in and that Arkane was probably pushed into making. I'll consider giving it away though.

Mikeside

I'd wait for reviews and Digital Foundry.

I can give you a quick review:

I played this game at Eurogamer. You should buy this game. It feels like Arkane took their experience with Bioshock 2, added a load of interesting powers, like possession of other people/animals, teleportation and stopping time & and interesting new setting. It's incredibly fun and from the one level I played, I expect that the level design is fun too, as there are loads of different ways to legitimately approach the level without one feeling like 'the right way'.
Buy this game, or don't.
But yeah, buy it.

GorillaJu

Yes, it's become common, but that doesn't make me feel any better about preordering an unknown quantity with a Bethesda logo on the front. All I've got a is a PS3, and Bethesda has burned me before, even accounting for the fact that they're just the publisher.

You don't have to play it on release day at midnight, you know. You can always wait, you know, 14 hours or so to read some reviews and then drive down to the store and buy it.

Mikeside

PS3 version is probably doomed since they haven't shown it yet. The xbox 360 version looks awful too.

Was the xbox version they demoed at EGE and it was fine. Obviously the PC version will be better, but other than the console-FOV, I thought it was perfectly good.

Mikeside

pretty sure that was the pc version with a 360 gamepad.

The version I played was on one of those 360 stands where you can see the console and the controllers are set too low down & you can't move them. It was definitely on 360.
The stations where you could sit down and play with a 360 controller were probably PC, though.

Dariso

Neo Member
PS3 version is probably doomed since they haven't shown it yet. The xbox 360 version looks awful too.

My main concern sadly. I know they're not bethesda, but its not like any developer will say one of the console versions is inferior to the other.
Apparently, they're sending review code for all versions so that's a good sign i guess.

subversus

Pre-ordered my special edition, complete with pointless bonuses (a deck of Dishonored tarot cards, wtf?)

WHAT?!

do want1!

edit: just checked. This tarot pack looks like an ordinary gaming pack. I want to see Lovers, Devil, Tower and so on.

S1kkZ

The version I played was on one of those 360 stands where you can see the console and the controllers are set too low down & you can't move them. It was definitely on 360.
The stations where you could sit down and play with a 360 controller were probably PC, though.

oh, ok. i thought some people said they only showed the pc version at eurogamer expo. how was the framerate on 360?

subversus

Do you think it's an entire proper deck or just a few from the named cards?

doesn't look like Tarot at all.

game_widget_Dishonored.jpg

jcm

You don't have to play it on release day at midnight, you know. You can always wait, you know, 14 hours or so to read some reviews and then drive down to the store and buy it.
Yes, I know. But to do so I will have to cancel my preorder, which is at a discounted price. Thus, my dilemma.

subversus

Yes, I know. But to do so I will have to cancel my preorder, which is at a discounted price. Thus, my dilemma.

I'd wait for sale then. The game will be 30-40$ in a month or two (most likely).

george_us

Was the xbox version they demoed at EGE and it was fine. Obviously the PC version will be better, but other than the console-FOV, I thought it was perfectly good.
Ugh what? I actually thought about selling some games to grab this after watching the Golden Cat videos but not if the console ports are shit.

ironcreed

Banned
It's pretty much impossible for this to be worse than RE6. Don't support dumbed down AAA games for stupid people, we need to erase those from this industry.

Except RE6 is not dumbed down, and if you play stupid, then you will get your ass handed to you fast. Sure, the game has it's faults. But it sure as hell is not dumbed down.

RedSwirl

I can give you a quick review:

I played this game at Eurogamer. You should buy this game. It feels like Arkane took their experience with Bioshock 2, added a load of interesting powers, like possession of other people/animals, teleportation and stopping time & and interesting new setting. It's incredibly fun and from the one level I played, I expect that the level design is fun too, as there are loads of different ways to legitimately approach the level without one feeling like 'the right way'.
Buy this game, or don't.
But yeah, buy it.

I hope it's less BioShock 2 and more Arx Fatalis but whatever.

.la1n

I don't think there should be too much concern for the PS3 version. Most developers have had plenty of time with UE3 to make the differences minimal unlike the beginning of this gen.

subversus

Except RE6 is not dumbed down, and if you play stupid, then you will get your ass handed to you fast. Sure, the game has it's faults. But it sure as hell is not dumbed down.

I agree (from what I played in demo). But as a game it feels not good.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't think there should be too much concern for the PS3 version. Most developers have had plenty of time with UE3 to make the differences minimal unlike the beginning of this gen.

Yeah, I'm not concerned with it. Some PS3 review copies got sent out, so that is a good sign. I'll be getting it on PSN.

ironcreed

Banned
I agree (from what I played in demo). But as a game it feels not good.

Trust me, the demo does not show squat. As for it not feeling good, that is in the eye of the beholder. I am used to it and have no issues. It sure as hell requires you to be on your toes and use the tools given to you, though. That is no joke.

Mikeside

Ugh what? I actually thought about selling some games to grab this after watching the Golden Cat videos but not if the console ports are shit.

I didn't say it was shit - it's a great port and I enjoyed playing it, but it's got lower FOV than I would like - but then, so do most console games, so if you're playing other console FPSs without a problem then it probably won't matter to you.

I hope it's less BioShock 2 and more Arx Fatalis but whatever.

Bioshock 2 was awesome! The only issue it had was that it didn't feel very fresh or original and that Rapture, as a game location, really should've been a one-time visit - it didn't hold that sense of wonder in the sequel. The actual gameplay was fab.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any footage of the first (not strictly tutorial) mission/level/whatever by a decent player yet? I want to see how it compares to Thief since the daring escapes video made me think of that game in some ways (although I'm not fond of some of the powers).

ekim

Is it possible to complete the game without ever touching someone and without using the blink feature? (I know you don't have to kill a single person but I don't know if you can just put an enemy to sleep)

Top Bottom