• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

jett

D-Member
I forgot to mention how well this game ran on my aging machine, it stayed well over 30fps during most of the game, which was nice. Got the feel of 60fps. Last Unreal games I played were Arkham City and Bulletstorm and those two suffered from crazy fits of stutering.

This game has been miraculous thus far, I'm really, really digging it.

I've just got to the point passed mission 4, when
the Regent is dead, and you must find Daud

How much game time do you think I've got left roughly?

Also, I'm most definitely doing a very hard, ghost, no kills run after this play through is complete.

The director and devs on this game really brought together a vision. While I'm sure games like Bioshock Infinite will be great, here's a game you can buy right now that has deviated from the norm, and is ambitious in how it lets you traverse and interact with its missions. This game has varying gameplay mechanics that allow flexibility and experimentation, as well as delivered on a beautiful world with atmosphere based on excellent art design.

Can only hope that sales justify a sequel.

mujun

I wish indoor enviros had places to hide bodies in. As how the outdoor had the trash bins.

They do, don't though. Recesses with giant curtain like things hanging on either side on one level and the other levels all have toilets/storage rooms/etc that seem to be safe options if you don't want bodies discovered.

They do, don't though. Recesses with giant curtain like things hanging on either side on one level and the other levels all have toilets/storage rooms/etc that seem to be safe options if you don't want bodies discovered.

I hide bodies on top of things. Bookshelves, railings, lamps. they never look up.

Beat it.

Damn fine experience even if i wish some things were taken further

I would have loved the idea of an expanded flooded district. There was definitely less water than i would have hoped. I love the idea of a vertical focused openish area that also had underwater elements that all interconnected.

Also, i am sad the one whale i did finally see was tinyer than i expected and made up of one of the worst textures i have every seen in current gen game. I wanted to be some mysterious force in the world.

Eusis

me gusta

you might have unlocked "invisibility" power and didn't notice
Actually I suspect the difference is VERY subtle, because I definitely still needed to be careful about being seen on Normal. Although Emily immediately spotted me from the hiding spot I used on Normal, so maybe that's relevant. Honestly the biggest difference seems to be in combat difficulty, where they hit way harder and potions aren't essentially a bar refill... and I STILL end up being full on potions while being kind of clumsy and getting into fights semi-frequently since I was trying to kill every hostile.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Every thread about any stealth game has its share of people claiming that AI is broken even if it is not. I was sitting in the shadow on the steps near the door at the very beginning of
The Loyalists
and the tallboy spotted me. There was no stealth game where AI could spot the player sitting in the shadow from afar. Same goes for assassins in
The Flooded District
- I was sitting on the roof thinking that I'm safe, not even moving but got spotted as the guard was making his rounds. I was getting spotted sitting closely in the peripheral vision of guards, sitting on top of the doors in shadows and so on.

So I just say that stealth AI in this game is good and if you got lucky and wasn't spotted then it's just your personal problem luck.

Riposte

Every thread about any stealth game has its share of people claiming that AI is broken even if it is not. I was sitting in the shadow on the steps near the door at the very beginning of
The Loyalists
and the tallboy spotted me. There was no stealth game where AI could spot the player sitting in the shadow from afar. Same goes for assassins in
The Flooded District
- I was sitting on the roof thinking that I'm safe, not even moving but got spotted as the guard was making his rounds. I was getting spotted sitting closely in the peripheral vision of guards, sitting on top of the doors in shadows and so on.

So I just say that stealth AI in this game is good and if you got lucky and wasn't spotted then it's just your personal problem luck.

It is impossible for me visualize your situation. On Very Hard, I had no problem navigating enemy AI with elevation, at least while in a stealth stance.

Also this game is more about cover / line of sight than shadows. Lean is one of the essential and most powerful tools you have as a player (especially when paired with ranged attacks and blink or possession).

Eusis

The Loyalists
The Flooded District

I do wish at a bare minimum it froze spawns within a visual radius from you, because that's one of the cheapest things that can possibly happen in a stealth game.

Anyways, I did some experimenting with the final scene in High Chaos:
1. You CAN use Blink to just warp straight to them and grab Emily (and shove Havelock?), and 2. Child immortality is STILL in, so you can totally just recklessly fire from your gun until Havelock is dead. This is probably the only case where I'd say making children immortal IS an actual design flaw, because what use is a human shield that can't be killed? More accurately, a human shield when you're up against a wall or ledge, and don't actively use this to safely approach your enemy and take them out. But that'd ALSO be immersion breaking by acknowledging a design quirk so... well, at the very least even if you didn't actually "hurt" Emily it should've forced a "he falls back with her" scenario, thus preserving the actual intent of such an act.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The AI could spot me in the shadows. That alone made me rethink movement.

Ferrio

Banned
Trouble with these stealth games with multiple paths, is I never just pick a path and go. I explore everywhere, and pretty much leave piles of sleeping bodies in my wake. I don't think I left a single guard standing in mission 5.

vazel

Banned
me gusta

you might have unlocked "invisibility" power and didn't notice
The AI is easy even on very hard. I rarely used Dark Vision and I still found the AI easy. If you kept getting spotted that was probably because you didn't make good use of lean. Lean lets you get a good view of an area without alerting enemies.

I'm not saying the AI is broken. It's merely competent. I understand how difficult it is to make good AI in a stealth videogame.

subversus

The AI is easy even on very hard. I rarely used Dark Vision and I still found the AI easy. If you kept getting spotted that was probably because you didn't make good use of lean. Lean lets you get a good view of an area without alerting enemies.

Of course you don't get spotted when you lean because you're invisible at this moment. But leaning won't save me if I'm walking on the ledge with my back turned to the enemies who are patroling the street below.

vazel

Banned
Of course you don't get spotted when you lean because you're invisible at this moment. But leaning won't save me if I'm walking on the ledge with my back turned to the enemies who are patroling the street below.
That's why you observe patrol patterns and move accordingly. Stealth gaming 101.

GorillaJu

It's an easy game, which is fine, but it does really lack any difficulty curve. The beginning is hard and the further in you go, it gets easier and easier. You aren't really thrown into any new circumstances that you have to adapt and change your methods to get around. That would be my only criticism. That it's still an easy game on 'very hard' doesn't bother me in and of itself.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm on mission 7/9, when I finish in a bit I'm going to make a story discussion thread.

My problem with the story isn't it's simpleness, it's how the gameplay can change with how you play but the story doesn't. Which is odd because gameplay changing due to player actions is harder to achieve than changing a story situation.

And I do know that chaos ratings do change the ending, but I'll expand on what I mean in the future story discussion thread.

vazel

Banned
wow, thanks for sound advice! especially when patrol doesn't leave this street ever and they move in both directions.
Then choose a different path. It's part of what makes this game so fun. I'm having a hard time understanding why you find the stealth in this game difficult.
I don't find it difficult. My point was that guards aren't blind. You can breeze throught the game using bend time, blink and running.
I rarely used my powers. I used blink sparingly and dark vision a handful of times only. Possession I used only once to see what it would do. I never unlocked any of the other powers.

subversus

Then choose a different path. It's part of what makes this game so fun. I'm having a hard time understanding why you find the stealth in this game difficult.

I don't find it difficult. My point was that guards aren't blind. You can breeze throught the game using bend time, blink and running.

MormaPope

Banned
Dishonored has beem way too easy, I ghosted Dunwall tower on my first plathrough and I didn't ghost any other mission on the way (I was close on a couple though).

Salsa

playing this game on very difficult after keeping up with my NORMAL xcom ironman playthrough is like a walk in the park

a super fun one, mind you

Its the only way to play the game.

The 360 controller for PC. Microsofts greatest achievement *bow bow*

Kb/m is way better to use for this game. Accuracy aside, being able to quickly switch to every single one of my powers is awesome, it keeps the flow of the game more up tempo. Tab as Blink, tilde as heart, 1-6 as other powers/abilities. Perfect.

subversus

I stopped playing with kbm as soon as I discovered that there is no walk button (unless I missed it somehow). So it happened in the first two minutes of the game.

Dennis

Banned
Kb/m is way better to use for this game. Accuracy aside, being able to quickly switch to every single one of my powers is awesome, it keeps the flow of the game more up tempo. Tab as Blink, tilde as heart, 1-6 as other powers/abilities. Perfect.

Too many buttons. The controller let me use a selection wheel and the four d-pad buttons are plenty for power selections.

That many buttons you may as well be playing a flight sim.

commissar

Personally, I played the whole game with the PS3 nav controller for movement and mouse for aiming.

The best of both worlds \o/

being able to quickly switch to every single one of my powers is awesome, it keeps the flow of the game more up tempo. Tab as Blink, tilde as heart, 1-6 as other powers/abilities. Perfect.
You can use the wheel in a similar manner to crysis, middle click and move. Works well :)

tci

I stopped playing with kbm as soon as I discovered that there is no walk button (unless I missed it somehow). So it happened in the first two minutes of the game.
Shift?

Too many buttons. The controller let me use a selection wheel and the four d-pad buttons are plenty for power selections.

That troll

You can use the wheel in a similar manner to crysis, middle click and move. Works well :)
Yea, and that is one of the reasons I'm getting this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Keyboard + mouse forever.

Default "walk" speed is slow enough as it is, but shift let's you run. But to each their own.

Yeah, you obviously haven't played very many flight sims.

Tha aside, what I meant in my post is that, not having to rely on the radial wheel is what makes the extra flight sim buttons worth it. You don't break the flow of the action by bringing up a big ass wheel that covers a big portion of the screen to have to select a power. You just select it. Now, if I were to bring my PC to the living room and play on my TV, I'd use a controller, but, I much prefer the quicker access to all of my powers, not just 4 predetermined ones. Though like I said earlier, to each there own.

commissar

damn, how did you do that????
I ran it wired because I don't have a bluetooth connection, but you can use motioninjoy, and then emulate a 360 controller and remap the buttons as necessary.

The software is kind of awful to use, but it works :)

Alternately just use the left side of a 360 controller and remap some of the buttons to suit that configuration in the gameinput.ini file.

Menu icons will switch between keyboard and controller icons, but chances are you've turned most of the HUD off :p

vazel

Banned
Default "walk" speed is slow enough as it is, but shift let's you run. But to each their own.
Plus if you want to move slower you just have to go into stealth stance. It would be redundant to have a dedicated walk button. Not sure why'd you want one in this game.
Personally, I played the whole game with the PS3 nav controller for movement and mouse for aiming.
I keep forgetting I can hook up my nav controller to my PC. I love using that thing.

Top Bottom