• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Enco

How disappointing, you can't replay previous missions with powers you get in later missions. I guess it's impossible to actually be fully powered-up in the game. :p

What do higher difficulties offer btw?
Really?

I was intending on doing so after completing the game. Kinda sucks.

DukeBobby

Just realized the similarities between this game and Man on Fire.

Yeah, I liked the part where Denzel Washington froze time and windblasted everyone.

In all seriousness, is it something do with the Corvo/Emily relationship? (I've not seen the film in a few years)

EDIT: Just refreshed my mind using Wikipedia. I think I understand the similarities now.

Jack_AG

Banned
What do higher difficulties offer btw?

A higher difficulty. No 'chieves for it, either.

Very Hard seems like it should be the default difficulty, IMO. I'm not amazing at games, either... but this seemed to feel right to me for what should have been the default difficulty.

Ferrio

Banned
It's a classic tale of a body guard fucking up his only duty within the first couple of minutes in the game.

YOU JUST HAD ONE JOB CORVO AND YOU FAILED.

Not to mention:
He gets duped by a bunch of people that were totally transparent in their ambitions AS well as having an all seeing heart that told him what type of men they were

Jack_AG

Banned
There are not really many similarities, it's a classic tale of revenge with a man rescuing a little girl
who is his daughter.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Because they know how uncomfortable it is to use obviously.

I would love to play you in any FPS. You and your controller and me and my set up.

But all joking aside, from the impressions, the gamepad works pretty well with this game, and being that it isn't a competitive FPS it really doesn't matter.

The only thing that would bug me, would be the lean. I don't use Dark Vision and having dedicated buttons to use lean has been awesome.

Well, I took the plunge on the game last week and bought a physical copy because PSN wasn't letting buy anything. I finished two days ago and I absolutely loved the game. I didn't know much about the game because it kind of got lost in my backlog of games and being busy so it was a really nice surprise. Some of the best moments in the game for me are just blinking behind enemies and chocking them out and then blinking out and then back in to someone else. One of those games that gives you the tools to make you feel like a bad ass but doesn't hold your hand in doing so.

Also, being able to sneak through
the entire lighthouse and base without being seen or encountering anyone is one of the best feelings ever. So. Good.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The only thing that would bug me, would be the lean. I don't use Dark Vision and having dedicated buttons to use lean has been awesome.

lean works wonderfull on gamepad. finally it's toggleable.

It's heavily implied that Corvo and the Empress were lovers and Emily was their child. And then there's this drawing by Emily: http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/File:Corvo.png

yeah, I saw that and thought that
she just compensates.

Akai

yeah, I saw that and thought that
she just compensates.

There's also
Havelock's final diary log in the lighthouse that directly brings up the possibility of Emily being Corvo's daughter. Considering how it's never actually "officially" known that she is his child, and with the heart hinting that "Emily knows more than she tells," I took her drawing of Corvo as her "Daddy" to be something she had not actually being told, but intuitively knew...

Huh, where do you find this?

If you don't go the Low Chaos route, you won't... =)

If you do, it pops up in Corvo's room in-between missions...

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished the Bridge mission, and I have to say that I love how this game handles certain character developments. Especially with Emily, even though things are starting to get out of hand
the "daddy" drawing, for instance
. The whole Corvo - Emily relationship is great, I really care for this girl's wellbeing.

And on the other side of the spectrum I never wanted to slit someone's throat as badly as Sokolov, what a piece of trash.
I choked him the fuck out and brought him back to the boat, but for some reason I wanted to go back. So I dropped him off and went back to the greenhouse only to find a prison cell with a woman in it who Sokolov has been using as a test subject. And some moments before I freed the two prisoners who were also used as test subjects. First time I tried to free them I didn't dispose of the guards, so they got killed on the spot. I avenged their deaths by slitting the throat of every guard in the area. But that mucked up my non-lethal ghost playthrough so I had to reload. But it felt great being the angel of wrath, haha.

Felt GREAT. I really feel like some kind of Batman Altair, so badass.

Also, non-lethal playthrough warrants all kinds of extras. I just got a note from
Pendleton, thanking me for sparing his brothers. He left me two pieces of ore, worth 100 coins each.

Game of the year.

Coconut

Banned
Very much feeling this game. Most of the time I play these kinds games and I will feel that I'm playing these games wrong and missing something.

jett

D-Member
There's also
Havelock's final diary log in the lighthouse that directly brings up the possibility of Emily being Corvo's daughter. Considering how it's never actually "officially" known that she is his child, and with the heart hinting that "Emily knows more than she tells," I took her drawing of Corvo as her "Daddy" to be something she had not actually being told, but intuitively knew...

If you don't go the Low Chaos route, you won't... =)

If you do, it pops up in Corvo's room in-between missions...

I did, I got a
huge drawing of Emily's face instead made out of several papers. :p
I guess I missed it.

BTW, replay the intro and check some of what Sokolov says...
clearly he hints at romance between Corvo and the Empress, and Emily herself asks you if you would marry her if you don't marry her mother, lolz

Labadal

Finally got my copy in the mail.

Completed the tutorial on very hard. I did so well until the end. I got lazy with an unconcuios guard and didn't hide him very well. He was found, but I never noticed, so I got my zero kills, but not the ghost in the mission ranking. Also missed a lot of money. I only got half of the money available in the level. I like it so far, and I'm sure I'll really enjoy it.

megalowho

Few missions in and I'm liking Dishonored. Not loving it. Abilities like Blink and Possession are wonderfully powerful but overall I'm not finding the stealth gameplay all that innovative or exciting. One or two exceptional emergent moments, but it's been fairly standard for the most part.

The world seems interesting and well thought out on the surface but it's also quite lifeless and the segmented areas do no favors towards establishing a sense of place during the missions. I'm not really liking (or hating) any of the characters at this point, story has some interesting hooks especially in the written pieces but they could have done more to integrate those ideas into the game itself. Let me witness and learn about more stuff in the open instead of having to simply read about it. Corvo's revenge plot is surprisingly straightforward, but that doesn't bother me - uncovering all the things that make Dunwall tick is incentive enough.

My biggest letdown so far have been the nonlethal takedown payoffs. No matter how fun the setup may be, in practice they've all been incredibly anticlimactic so far. After hearing so much about the Pendelton brothers choice specifically, which sounds incredibly cool as a pitch, I couldn't believe that
hearing that same pitch
was the way it played out in game. Developers, please don't talk up cool moments in your games if they aren't actually going to be cool moments.

Still having fun, love the art direction and gameplay is satisfying enough to keep me going. Just not a game I'd lavish unconditional praise upon, at least 8-10 hours in.

ctrayne

Wondering if anyone else picked up on this little tidbit. Spoilers for the Heart:

In the introduction, where the Empress is narrating over the cloudy sky, she asks Corvo to hurry home and that 'when you are near, my heart is at peace.' Bit of foreshadowing?

Also, in a twisted way, even after death she is with Corvo in a sense, every step of his journey/rampage.

Carbonox

I'm past the twist in the story now and I feel more engaged in the story than ever. Love it.

In other news, Lord Pendleton reminds me of a Wallace & Gromit villain.

Andrew.

Banned
Is it me or are some of these trophies/cheevos kinda fucked? I possessed/suicided numerous guards into a Wall of Light with nothing awarded and what's up with the Granny/Slackjaw completion ones? I swear I did every single part for their optional quests given to you at the beginning of the game unless I meet them again? I'm in the Flooded District already so I'm assuming I'm not. Does anyone know what's up with this or how to at least properly obtain those sidequest trophs?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm about to start the
Return to the Tower
mission, please tell me that isn't the final mission..?

The masked ball mission was awesome, felt like an oldschool Hitman game.

Every time I visit this thread...I spoil something for myself.

"Oh, I'm sure the spoiler's for a part I've already been through-fffffuuuuu---"

I'm not posting again until I beat it. Fuck dammit.

Andrew.

Banned
I would say that the increased speed while holding weapons, increased speed while sneaking, and increased choke speed were my favorite charms. The choke speed in particular was super noticable but you don't get that until pretty late in the game.

Denied. My buddy got it in the first mission. The charms all stay in the same locations during playthroughs, but the powers are always randomized. Im in the flooded district and have yet to get the choke charm.

Ferrio

Banned
Denied. My buddy got it in the first mission. The charms all stay in the same locations during playthroughs, but the powers are always randomized. Im in the flooded district and have yet to get the choke charm.

Same... ton of shit I'll never use though.

Dresden

Yeah that choke charm would be pretty useful, too bad I've gotten nothing but useless shit. I guess the drop assassination charm where I recover mana might be kinda good, but I'm not killing anyone.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

I got that on my first mission, and it is AWESOME! had no idea it was random

SRTtoZ

Picked up this game yesterday off a whim for PC and am loving it. I know ill get killed for this but it feels like a more fun Bioshock to me. I was worried about the graphics after seeing some video reviews but I knew they were the console versions. With my new setup I am able to max out this game easily and it looks pretty good, not BF3 or Crysis2 caliber but still nice (RAGE-ish).

I have one Dishonored Steam key left for
45 USD

PM me I need to pay a parking ticket and buy more inventory.
Mainly worried about the parking ticket.

Balphon

Is it me or are some of these trophies/cheevos kinda fucked? I possessed/suicided numerous guards into a Wall of Light with nothing awarded and what's up with the Granny/Slackjaw completion ones? I swear I did every single part for their optional quests given to you at the beginning of the game unless I meet them again? I'm in the Flooded District already so I'm assuming I'm not. Does anyone know what's up with this or how to at least properly obtain those sidequest trophs?

They show up again at the end of the Flooded District if you did their prior quests.

Hope I didn't miss the choke charm on my completely non-lethal playthrough then: I skipped quite a few in the earlier missions.

Have been getting better and better at quickly navigating the maps without being noticed, but occassionaly I'll still blink off a wrong surface and end up being surrounded by a bunch of angry guards. Good thing I already gave up on getting the 'Ghost'-achievement: those fuckers in the Golden Cat kept finding the bodies I stashed away.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I laughed.

KuGsj.gif
outstanding.

can't wait to be able to play this again :'(

Does leaving Campbell in the Heretic's Chair be considered as body found? Guards do regularly go into the interrogation room. I think that's what happened since I only had 1 body found.

Gotta dump this shit in a trash can.

Top Bottom