• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Lingitiz

Just finished it in about 8 hours. Although I wish it was a bit longer, the pacing was solid and the amount of stuff you can do in the sandbox makes it a strong GOTY contender in my book.

Sibylus

Banned
11.6 hours down, finally finished with the first inn mission. Spent so much time just listening to the Heart talk about things, it's an ingenious little mechanic.

Might come down to my particular mood at the moment, but I killed the hell out of everything with a potentially hostile stance in the mission today, even going as far as mass-sleep darting so I could drag entire patrols into the shadows and murder them. Looks like it's high chaos for me, stealth assassin/explorer-of-everything is just too enjoyable at the moment.

Also, physics funk: http://steamcommunity.com/id/botolf/screenshots/?appid=205100

GlamFM

Banned
Is New Game Plus something that might be added to the game via patch at some point?

Really bums me out - NG+ would be so much fun in this game.

Eusis

Is New Game Plus something that might be added to the game via patch at some point?

Really bums me out - NG+ would be so much fun in this game.
Yeah, once I let it sit for awhile I might well use a trainer to max everything out and start over from the first proper assassination just to see what crazy crap I can do. It's why stuff like the invisibility stuff in MGS is so much fun to unlock.

So IGN strategize just recommended both blink and agility to level 2. They mention places only a double jump and then an upgraded blink can reach.

Anyone here recommend this? Can you just plain not reach some placing AT ALL without those? I already have blink to level 2 and thought that it would mean agility wouldnt be too important. I can already outrun guards real easy with the long blink range.

Still haven't finished first real mission, really taking my time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So IGN strategize just recommended both blink and agility to level 2. They mention places only a double jump and then an upgraded blink can reach.

Anyone here recommend this? Can you just plain not reach some placing AT ALL without those? I already have blink to level 2 and thought that it would mean agility wouldnt be too important. I can already outrun guards real easy with the long blink range.

Depends what you're into.

I upgraded blink first but Agility (level 1 at least) is pretty crucial if you're interested in climbing or falling from height at all.

Depends what you're into.

I upgraded blink first but Agility (level 1 at least) is pretty crucial if you're interested in climbing or falling from height at all.

oh good point

yeah I noticed I blink somewhere very far below and even though I blinked 90% of the distance, I took fall damage. So I imagine they count blink (or some % of blink) distance for fall damage.

mujun

Just finished it. Must of been at least 12 hours if not more.

Loved the game to death, story, gameplay, atmosphere, ending, everything.

Did piss me off when I finished one of the later levels (a real long one) to see that I had one kill despite having knocked out and moved everyone. Didn't have the will to go through it again (it was my only kill except perhaps the guys who assassinate the empress, do they count?).

Don't get the complaints about the story, I found that it had adequate story (some complained there wasn't much story) and ended well.

Agility is amazing. The extended jump is great and it's really nice if you upgrade it to level 2 and combine it with the bone charm that allows you to move faster with weapons out. You run fast as shit and can move pretty fast while stealthed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Agility is amazing. The extended jump is great and it's really nice if you upgrade it to level 2 and combine it with the bone charm that allows you to move faster with weapons out. You run fast as shit and can move pretty fast while stealthed.
Want it, need it, gotta find it.

That and "mana-from-faucet" are my most-wanted. Health potions are worthless to me, but goddamnit if I can't bring myself to part with a mana potion even when I know I'm about to hit the end of the mission without having used a full bar.

DSmalls84

That and "mana-from-faucet" are my most-wanted. Health potions are worthless to me, but goddamnit if I can't bring myself to part with a mana potion even when I know I'm about to hit the end of the mission without having used a full bar.

I would say that the increased speed while holding weapons, increased speed while sneaking, and increased choke speed were my favorite charms. The choke speed in particular was super noticable but you don't get that until pretty late in the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would say that the increased speed while holding weapons, increased speed while sneaking, and increased choke speed were my favorite charms. The choke speed in particular was super noticable but you don't get that until pretty late in the game.
Bone charm position is random. Strong Arms was literally the first one I found.

edit: coincidentally I love it so much I want to marry it.

DSmalls84

Bone charm position is random. Strong Arms was literally the first one I found.

edit: coincidentally I love it so much I want to marry it.

Didn't know that. I got it in the Return to the Dunwall Tower mission :( but it would have been super useful way before then since I had already pretty much upgraded all of my skills at that point.

Finished in 18 hours. Did all the optional tasks, took the most circuitous routes through the levels, got all the runes, etc.. can't imagine how I would have dragged it out any longer. Maybe if I read all the books or hunted down every coin. It was a good length for what it was, though it could've been so much better.

First of all, you can get every power in one playthrough despite the claims otherwise, which I knew would be bs. While you can only upgrade half of them I think, that still leaves you with every base ability and then some. So there aren't any hard choices as far as how to develop your character.

Maybe there should've been another line of abilities for tech stuff, so instead of having an item that rewires it would be an unlockable skill, or instead of Piero offering enhancements from blueprints you would have the ability to craft that stuff yourself.

And force you to commit to either a magic or tech ability line, this way replayability isn't just down to doing a lethal/non-lethal run with all the same abilities.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, but I don't feel like writing anymore. 7/10

This is my favorite bone charm, and the reason why not having NG+ is a bit frustrating. Considering the bone charms are randomized, who knows if I'd get it in my current, second play-through.

Finished the game, got the low chaos ending which I thought was finally something happy after all the depression the game throws at you. Now for a second playthrough where I murder everyone.

jett

D-Member
I used a controller, you don't really need precise aiming in this game anyway, it's not a FPS. Corvo's right hand working with the left mouse button and the left hand with the right also bothered me. :p And WASD movement sucks, anyway. Analog movement all the way. More comfy too. That's right, I used the C word!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Precision isn't really the point. I love using analogue sticks to move a character, or to direct an external camera, but analogue stick aiming of a first person view point is the most backwards, illogical shit ever. I don't want to steer my fucking character, I want to point where I'm looking. I'm not a car.

Mouse forever.

tci

Hmm.. I guess this game is too new to get some mods?

But the textures are quite bad. I couldn't find any settings for them. The same goes with the shadow maps and AA. MLA is not very good, and I don't want to use FXAA either.

Any suggestions?

neoism

Boat as hub
Travel to different islands/continents
More level diversity
Whaling minigame

First level is on a big whale boat, and your the stowaway, and its in the middle of the ocean and the water looks banana's.....you can get on the top pole
don't know what its called lol
and watch the sun rise........if you kill/choke all the ships crew you can polit the ship...next gen.

Shame this game doesn't have real time lighting and a day/night cycle.

Riposte

I used a controller, you don't really need precise aiming in this game anyway, it's not a FPS. Corvo's right hand working with the left mouse button and the left hand with the right also bothered me. :p And WASD movement sucks, anyway. Analog movement all the way. More comfy too. That's right, I used the C word!

I swap that almost immediately.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think I'd ever use a mouse and keyboard for a non strategy game unless someone held a gun to my head, and even then I'd be whining under my breath about how terrible and uncomfortable it is.

neoism

I don't think I'd ever use a mouse and keyboard for a non strategy game unless someone held a gun to my head, and even then I'd be whining under my breath about how terrible and uncomfortable it is.

This! I wont play a fp game without a controller....only game I play with a mouse is d3 and I don't even used the keyboard

I actually threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read this.

I've watched people play First Person games with a control and unfortunately have had the displeasure of doing it personally on a few occasions.

It's like trying to play the game with the controls from an arcade claw machine.

Playing first person games with a controller is so robotic, imprecise and slow. Anytime I watch gameplay videos of someone using a controller it manages to frustrate me and how I could do the same actions 2x the speed with a mouse and keyboard.

I've watched people play First Person games with a control and unfortunately have had the displeasure of doing it personally on a few occasions.

It's like trying to play the game with the controls from an arcade claw machine.

Are your hands broken? Missing fingers?

:p

Zeliard

I'll use a controller over m/kb for games like Dark Souls. Feels great there. But I'll never be caught dead using a controller over m/kb for anything first-person or any shooter.

The sole exception to that was Dead Space, because the sluggishness of the mouse there was astonishingly extreme. They fucked that up badly. Fortunately Dead Space 2 didn't suffer the same problem.

goodfella

You can change that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand done. Really liked the last few levels. Good challenge for a stealth playthrough. I did it 50/50 lethal/stealthy.

Liked the low chaos ending, can't understand what people are complaining about. It could be cathartic though but they went with just happy ending. Reminded me of Bioshock ending. People are too picky about endings! It could be better but it's not as horrible as I could have guessed after reading impressions.

But it's gamey game through and through. The story isn't its greatest suit, it's all about gameplay. Will complete all levels multiple times.

Derrick01

Banned

Funny, I have no problem pulling quick and precise movements with it. It's nothing like an arcade machine that's designed to be terrible on purpose and make you lose.

Ok, I'm getting pretty neurotic about wanting to get the ghosting achievements which has caused me to do the first mission several times, would 1 body being found affect them considering it gave me the ghost (never detected) check mark?
C1E7E1B8A51F9ABEFD48FCC2F1670E30413411B1

I really wish the game told me where the bodies were found, like a flyby of the level map.

About hiding bodies, don't hide it anywhere near where you knocked the guy out, AI from other areas will notice he's missing from his patrol and take over patrolling his area as well and that's why they might notice his body.

Enco

Messed up the party mission.

Pushed my luck upstairs and got caught. Decided not to reload and play it out.

The party was ruined and the 3 possible targets ran upstairs and locked themselves in a room. I windblasted the door and knocked them out. Finished it in the non lethal way cos I'm kind. Feels good.

subversus

About hiding bodies, don't hide it anywhere near where you knocked the guy out, AI from other areas will notice he's missing from his patrol and take over patrolling his area as well and that's why they might notice his body.

that is quite new by the way. I don't remember any stealth game doing that.

Messed up the party mission.

Pushed my luck upstairs and got caught. Decided not to reload and play it out.

The party was ruined and the 3 possible targets ran upstairs and locked themselves in a room. I windblasted the door and knocked them out. Finished it in the non lethal way cos I'm kind. Feels good.

fucking up is the best way to play Dishonored for the first time.

Yeah, I've noticed that, pretty cool. Does it affect the ghosting achievement, or does getting the ghost check mark at the end of missions like in my pic above mean I'm smooth sailing?

subversus

Plus if you want to move slower you just have to go into stealth stance. It would be redundant to have a dedicated walk button. Not sure why'd you want one in this game.

Because I want immersion and a crouching character looks like an idiot?

FinKL

So, I knew absolutely NOTHING about this game until yesterday. I thought it was another dudebro FPS. Probably posted before, but I stumbled upon this low quality video, but was sold on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eqOMI8_txw

This speaks louder than any CGI commercial would. I mean, I understood he summoned rats from the floor, teleported around, possessed someone, and pretty much eliminated that entire area within a minute. Art style looks great as well as the acrobatics.

Also, getting it on PC. M/kb when I really want to play, controller when I want to relax. Best of both worlds :D

Did anybody else
come across whalers in the first assassination mission? Dudes popped up out of nowhere after I freed Griff the Merchant and I was mad confused

Ferrio

Banned
Question about mission 5(?)

So I choked out the propaganda dude, the one you hear through the whole game. I really really hate him, would I of not heard him through the rest of the game if I knifed his ass?

ScOULaris

How disappointing, you can't replay previous missions with powers you get in later missions. I guess it's impossible to actually be fully powered-up in the game. :p

What do higher difficulties offer btw?

Wow. That's fucking bullshit. What were they thinking?!

Top Bottom