• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Ferrio

Banned
Besides the leaning, another thing that bothers me is looking through keyholes.

You can look around while peeping through one.... how is that even possible?! Someone didn't think that through.

Himself

I've been avoiding everything I possibly could about this game so I'd rather not read the thread and stumble across spoilers. Just wanna ask: What's the general consensus? Has it lived up to the hype?

ctrayne

They can be right next to you and not see you :lol

It makes sense on a gameplay level to me, even if it's a little funny taken at face value. Since shadow bonuses only apply at a distance, it makes sense to give the player a little leeway. Doesn't leaning work similarly in Thief?

A side note: I really love the art in that little comic.

You can look around while peeping through one.... how is that even possible?! Someone didn't think that through.

I think it's all in the name of playability. I really don't expect everything to be perfectly realistic. Maybe that's an excuse but I would imagine the choice was deliberate. These guys aren't stupid.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

i think thats how all "looking through keyhole" gameplay has been so far though. I remember being able to look around in hitman games. I agree though, someone should make a comic of that! LOL

SJRB

Gold Member

Someone actually did.

It's a gameplay mechanic that sacrifices "realism" for the sake of giving the player a better view of the area behind the door.

And, as I found out earlier tonight, I'm not the only one looking through keyholes...

Locke_211

Just did the non-lethal option for the
Party
mission - does it seem to anyone else that it's
worse than the lethal one!

Steaks

The point of keyhole use is so you have a resourceless method of looking through a door and not getting caught immediately if there's no alternate route inside.

It's a failsafe more than anything else, but an important one IMO. It's good design.

tci

Not sure how I like the game so far. The gameplay mostly is great, but damn this game would have been so much better with a larger scale. Even if you have alternative routes, it still feels very linear. Also so few characters on screen. Every part screams limitations.

All the time I vision this game much larger, and end up a bit disappointed. Assassin's Creed scale would have been almost perfect.

Ferrio

Banned
The point of keyhole use is so you have a resourceless method of looking through a door and not getting caught immediately if there's no alternate route inside.

It's a failsafe more than anything else, but an important one IMO. It's good design.

I understand why it's there, just it makes me laugh that you can look around while peering through a tiny hole.

Party

Yes, i wanted to take her myself!

ctrayne

All the time I vision this game much larger, and end up a bit disappointed. Assassin's Creed scale would have been almost perfect.

I think that would have been a completely different game, to be honest. Keep in mind the devs channeled a bit of Thief, which never had massive groups of enemies either. Dunwall is also in the middle of a plague, which plausibly means a thinning population.

I guess I also consider Assassin's Creed to be more linear than Dishonored, despite bigger environments. That's my own problem though - I've never been big on open world games. I prefer the detailed, interactive, mid-size sandbox Deus Ex/Thief/Hitman style to the less detailed, large scale open world stuff. I don't think Dishonored ever was trying to be the latter, but if that is what you expected, I can understand your viewpoint.

As long as you are fully hidden normally, you can lean out safely, I think.

That is amazing. I will exploit this more often. Useful for "reading" an enemy with the Heart from cover before I decide to kill them.

Also an effective means of eavesdropping.

SJRB

Gold Member
Party

Yeah the non-lethal outcomes usually are worse than a knife in the throat.

This one in particular was straight up creepy, and messed up. Especially when you get back to your room after the mission haha. Dunwal is a crazy place.

Nice HUGE fucking spoiler in that video by the way, goddamnit.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Also, I now feel like a chump for not playing like this all the time. "GO STEALTHY", they said. "IT'LL BE FUN", they promised.

Just kidding. Stealthin' about is still super fun.
I've been using my powers; just not as haphazard and awesomely as that guy.

wowza! that was crazy.. and now i kinda wanna kill people in the game!

That first comment is awesome lol

JRW

Well that was bizarre, I walked into a room and startled a maid who then turned around and ran straight into the dresser which killed her lol, is that going to count against me?

Here's the aftermath.

stufte

Hah! If you're carrying
the Boyle woman down to the man in the boat in the basement
and jump over the railing instead of walking around it'll trigger the cut-scene... which will chuck her body at the wall at a rather violent pace. Luckily she didn't die, because I was genuinely concerned that she had.

Bored as hell with the drought of good games, thinking of picking this up.

I heard this game is only 4 hours, that true? How long is it for a normal run.

Is there any exploration or non-combat towns/npc's to interact with or is it all level based?

Is combat mostly melee based?

Riposte

Is there any exploration or non-combat towns/npc's to interact with or is it all level based?

It is not a 4 hour game. It can be a +15 hour game if you (needlessly) like to explore every inch of a level. (EDIT: You could probably play through this game in 5 hours if you are reckless enough. There is not much in the way of obstacles and you have a teleport move.)

NPC interaction is very basic. Conversations are mostly passive and the game world feels kind of dead.

I love when you're putting down an unconscious body and instead you see blood around as their body ragdolls on a hard surface. I'm like, "No no no no no! You can't die on me! Oh still (unconscious), pheww!".

Finished this up, like everyone said great game, stealth pretty much to the end, ending wasn't great but whatever, not many great endings these days, not my goty but it will be on my chart, I think I felt the same exact way after playing deus ex and this one, great but I wanted a bit more, wanted more world, love the design, that half life feel is just awesome, Overall I give it 8.7.

The game encourages experimenting within linear sandbox levels with many different options. I imagine beating it in 4 hours would require the player to know an exact route to get to each target in a level and back. It would almost be a speedrun. I spent close to 4 hours in the first proper mission alone just sneaking, exploring, and finding side quests.

There is exploration with the mult-sectioned levels. You can find hidden collectibles in the form of Bone Charms and Runes, meet non-hostile NPCs who give you side-quests within the level that you talk to them in, and there is a hub world that you go to between missions to buy upgrades/items as well as talk to the people with you in the hub world.

Combat is a mix of melee with your dagger as well as mid to long range with your crossbow and various magical abilities. The way levels are designed, you can basically play however you want whether it be running into fights lethally or non-lethal stealth.

mujun

You would really need to go against much of what the game is urging you to do to finish it in 4 hours. I explored a little, completed objectives using non lethal means and tried to get every rune/charm and it took at least 12 hours (read I didn't try to thoroughly explore).

Lots of exploration, NPCs to interact with and non combat areas for a stealth/action game (sounds like Riposte is comparing it to an RPG).

Combat can be ranged but I'd say most of it is melee based combined with powers (slow time, teleport, force push, etc).

Bricky

Finished it, ghost-achievement and best ending possible get. :D

Had to reload an old save after finishing it without 'ghost' however, I only got shadow first. Why? For killing someone I didn't kill. Probably a bug, but still very annoying. Very-light spoilers for people going for a no-kill/no-alert run but not wanting to reload an old save like I had to do:
I sleep-darted Granny Rags at the end of the flooded district-mission. If you want 'ghost, avoid the optional mission you're given.

Anyway, this is probably my GOTY, closely tied with The Walking Dead. Amazing job Arkane, let's hope the game sells well.

ctrayne

Yup, lean is incredibly powerful. There should be no reason to be spotted more than a handful of times in this game. Lean lets you get a good view of the environment without having to trial and error. Lean to observe enemy patrol patterns and then make your move.

Yep. Per Harvey Smith's own blog:

Don’t forget to lean! If your body is behind something like a wall, you can lean out to peak ahead. We abstract that so that your body stays hidden.

It was designed as a nice tool, not a realistic depiction. I still love that comic, though.

Guards will also periodically look through them to check rooms.

Heh, I noticed that. Nice touch, along with them occasionally noticing fellow guards missing from patrols. Makes ghosting levels feel that much more satisfying.

So I asked a question on Twitter..

Q: Just out of curiosity was there a conscience design decision to not include a New Game + mode? If so, why?

Harvey Smith replied,

A: All decisions on a project are weighed against many other competing factors. In our case we put much more work into making followup playthroughs interesting: new powers, pathways, approaches. It takes 2-3 playthroughs to see most of the game. So the game itself serves as that.

I really liked it how right when you think the game is about to end, it adds on another 3 hours of content. This is easily the game BioShock should have been in terms of execution.

Carbonox

Oh man that finale. Loved it loved it loved it. Didn't realise what a great cast of actors they got for voice actor roles as well. Chloe Moretz, Carrie Fisher, Lena Headey, Susan Sarandon, etc.

Oh and I really like the credits song.

Fucking brilliant game. GOTY for me. Once you start to combo powers together, it's so fluid and enjoyable. Amazing experience.

I have a question for those who completed it:

I got the chaos ending. What exactly was it supposed to suggest? That the diddy Empress grew in to a powerful but borderline psychotic empress? She seemed to enjoy the idea of killing people. :lol Also, Corvo dies?

Solo

And, as I found out earlier tonight, I'm not the only one looking through keyholes...

I told Pietro (sp?) that he was a disgusting human being, then I took his place spying on Callisto's bath :lol

Then I just busted open the door. She was not impressed.

Oh man that finale. Loved it loved it loved it. Didn't realise what a great cast of actors they got for voice actor roles as well. Chloe Moretz, Carrie Fisher, Lena Headey, Susan Sarandon, etc.

Oh and I really like the credits song.

Fucking brilliant game. GOTY for me. Once you start to combo powers together, it's so fluid and enjoyable. Amazing experience.

I have a question for those who completed it:

I got the chaos ending. What exactly was it supposed to suggest? That the diddy Empress grew in to a powerful but borderline psychotic empress? She seemed to enjoy the idea of killing people. :lol Also, Corvo dies?

Emily looks about 40+ when she is laying the flowers on his grave. Corvo probably just died of old age, but his impact on her was not forgotten.

So I asked a question on Twitter..

Q: Just out of curiosity was there a conscience design decision to not include a New Game + mode? If so, why?

Harvey Smith replied,

A: All decisions on a project are weighed against many other competing factors. In our case we put much more work into making followup playthroughs interesting: new powers, pathways, approaches. It takes 2-3 playthroughs to see most of the game. So the game itself serves as that.

Only you can get all the powers, do all the sidequests, and see pretty much everything there is to see in a single playthrough.

Riposte

Only you can get all the powers, do all the sidequests, and see pretty much everything there is to see in a single playthrough.

This seems true, especially if you play around with saves a little to see a few alternate "social" paths (which are very rare). The biggest difference would be the the low chaos and high chaos final level.

I have one Dishonored Steam key left for
45 USD

PM me I need to pay a parking ticket and buy more inventory.
Mainly worried about the parking ticket.

Ok, well I don't need the money anymore because I got a bonus ;P

So to give to back to GAF for buying from me multiple times I will lower the price to $41

PM me

Edit: Gone. Love you all

Riposte

You can get all the powers, but you can't max them all up.

Unfortunately, the level 2s are very hit and miss. Some of them just being "more" (in the case of powers like Vitality or Shadow Kill "any at all" isn't exactly exciting).

ctrayne

Most of this is well known already, but:

http://www.witchboy.net/2012/10/09/dishonored-pro-tips/

He mentions turning the brightness way down. heh.

As an aside: I wanted to mention that having played and enjoyed Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah for what they were, I came into Dishonored aware of Arkane's history. I always thought Dark Messiah was a creative but messy little game, and I wanted to see the ideas tightened up. Dishonored is exactly that.

They share many ideas - stealth/magic/swordplay are interchangeable on the fly, light RPG customization, big levels with multiple approaches, creative spells and abilities (telekinesis!), first-person storytelling without leaving the hero's body, readable lore, adrenaline buildup, traveling by boat to get to certain missions, etc. The sound effects and the way Corvo holds the sword feel familiar (in a good way) and I'm pretty sure one of the grunts in Dishonored was voiced by the same guy who did some generic soldiers in Dark Messiah, which made me feel at home right away. I like it when developers have a tangible flavor like that. Dishonored does all those things so much better than Dark Messiah, though, and has a far more interesting world.

What I'm saying is that coming into Dishonored with a different set of expectations may alter your perception of the game for better or worse. From my point of view it's quite thrilling. I wasn't looking for a "perfect" game, I was looking for Arkane to hit their stride and make something special. I am spoiled between this and DXHR from last year.

Also, disclaimer, I never played the 360 version of Dark Messiah and I hear it's awful.

Top Bottom