• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Blink, possession, and time stop (along with agility as a passive) are all you really need to maximize your tactical options. Everything else is just flair.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd say level 2 blink is necessary to enjoy the game to its fullest. Slowing time is very useful too.

Blink in general is really the only useful manual-use ability in the game. In fact I only used possession about 3 times the whole game and nothing else but blink. The rest of the stuff is just kind of cool distractions that can be used to spice the game up a bit, but really if something's not so useful it becomes mandatory then I'm not really that interested in it.

ctrayne

That's why I'm making a glass half full joke, but I enjoyed some of the game. You just happen to bring up one of its bigger cons as a pro.

No, I get it. You're good, I'm just being a punk.
Some of the skills are indeed rather superfluous. At the expense of being overly positive, I'll say that one man's junk is another man's treasure. :)

Blink in general is really the only useful manual-use ability in the game. In fact I only used possession about 3 times the whole game and nothing else but blink. The rest of the stuff is just kind of cool distractions that can be used to spice the game up a bit, but really if something's not so useful it becomes mandatory then I'm not really that interested in it.

True, but I felt like all the stuff I didn't use a lot in one playthrough would be worth messing around with in later ones, for flair and fun if nothing else. Blink is the show-stealer.
Usefulness of skills also depends on your goals. Time and possession are useful in a ghost run (but not required.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beyond Time Bend and Possession after Blink there isn't much else to branch out with. Dark Vision you might as well get because there's never a reason not to use it, but the rest don't give you much. Being able to possess a rat you summon with Devouring Swarm is neat, but there are plenty of mice around to never have much point. Windblast is pretty lame and the few times I tried to get creative with it, nothing ended up happening.

ctrayne

I wish they had a level 3 version of possession where you can wreck havok in a tallboy, that would be awesome.

Wondering if we'll see any hacks like this. I know in the PC settings thread, it was mentioned one can change enemy behavior to a degree. Might be nice to set up parameters for an uber-hard mode.

Guys, I'm stuck on the last mission.
i cannot for the life of me find martin jn the courtyard. He is not yelling at pendleton or anything. Does he have a default location or home base? Pendleton too for that matter. Would like to remove some heads.
thanks!

Eusis

Possession's kind of ruined by how short it works. If you could reasonably for a long, long time possessing something it'd be more practical, but for
getting Lady Boyle down the stairs[/I] I had to do it three or four times. Combine with the high cost, and... bleh, just the first level or one of the other skills is a better investment, honestly.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Possession's kind of ruined by how short it works. If you could reasonably for a long, long time possessing something it'd be more practical, but for
getting Lady Boyle down the stairs
I had to do it three or four times. Combine with the high cost, and... bleh, just the first level or one of the other skills is a better investment, honestly.

It's useful for getting a guard into a secluded room if he's near someone else, but I agree it's pretty limited though still fairly good for non lethal. Lethally you might as well just bend time and shoot them both in the head.

Riposte

getting Lady Boyle down the stairs
I had to do it three or four times. Combine with the high cost, and... bleh, just the first level or one of the other skills is a better investment, honestly.

It is not like you need that mana for anything else, lol. What you could do is just knock out everyone on the way once you exit the main area.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So is there new game +?

No, but you can replay the chapters, though the game restricts you by allowing you to use only the same "levels" of power you had when you originally played that level.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

GorillaJu

i cannot for the life of me find martin jn the courtyard. He is not yelling at pendleton or anything. Does he have a default location or home base? Pendleton too for that matter. Would like to remove some heads.
thanks!

The very very last mission? What you're looking for is in the room with the final target.

Ah I just finished this a little earlier. What a fantastic game! Superb gameplay mechanics in a fantastically moody, rich world. I would *love* to see more from this IP, if it's intended to be one than one game that is.

Also, does anyone know who the voice actor is for Piero? His character and voice remind me of the great Doc Cochran from Deadwood.
0000034485_20061021000248.jpg

thanks!

They won't appear if you're doing a low chaos playthrough. If you're at high chaos you'll be playing that level in a thunderstorm and Martin will be in the courtyard yelling and shooting at Pendleton in the stairwell. After their conversation Pendleton will stay where he is and Martin will move away and stay in a room near the Control Room.

Also, does anyone know who the voice actor is for Piero? His character and voice remind me of the great Doc Cochran from Deadwood.

You nailed it, it's Brad Dourif.

I'm sure this has been asked already numerous times in this 110 + page thread,

But can someone clarify "Model Details" for me in the PC version?

I want to play it on "High", but I think it's shaving off a few frames from the performance.

I don't seem to notice much change visually, does it refer to character models only? Or the entire environments? I kinda notice a bit of texture downgrade while on "Normal" but not sure.

And does it (High setting) actually hinder performance, or it's all in my head?

They won't appear if you're doing a low chaos playthrough. If you're at high chaos you'll be playing that level in a thunderstorm and Martin will be in the courtyard yelling and shooting at Pendleton in the stairwell. After their conversation Pendleton will stay where he is and Martin will move away and stay in a room near the Control Room.

You nailed it, it's Brad Dourif.

Ah, perfect. Too orderly for my own liking. Cheers. ]

Aaron

I wish all the powers had a level III. By the end of the game I had more upgrade points than I wanted to use. Having something insanely powerful would have been nice.

The issues being brought up are completely legitimate but this game still is the best thing I have played all year. I just did a blink above a tall boy drove the blade into his throat engaged slow time before hitting the ground blinked and kill the other guard, turn slow time off and blink to a bookcase and throw a sticky bomb at the two other guards rushing in......I am a god

mujun

The issues being brought up are completely legitimate but this game still is the best thing I have played all year. I just did a blink above a tall boy drove the blade into his throat engaged slow time before hitting the ground blinked and kill the other guard, turn slow time off and blink to a bookcase and throw a sticky bomb at the two other guards rushing in......I am a god

This will definitely be high up on my GOTY list. First stealth game I've played where I've been able to actually deal with sudden situations, in real time, the whole time feeling that the only thing that is getting me through is quick thinking in any stealth game.

These guys need to team up with Klei to make the ultimate stealth/assassin/ninja game!

xenist

This will definitely be high up on my GOTY list. First stealth game I've played where I've been able to actually deal with sudden situations, in real time, the whole time feeling that the only thing that is getting me through is quick thinking in any stealth game.

This has been the first such game I've been able to play stealthily and still improvise and wing it. Both the level design and the power selction are ridiculously empowering and freeing.

I did a low chaos playthrough (still got to kill a satisfying number of people) and got the best possible ending but I always at some point during the mission started improvising instead of the usual "Stealth into the clearly marked stealth point->wait for guard pattern to accomodate -> stealth to the next clearly marked stealth point." This has been almost completely freeform.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

yeah, I had the same feeling.

"Stealth into the clearly marked stealth point->wait for guard pattern to accomodate -> stealth to the next clearly marked stealth point." This has been almost completely freeform.

this

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
He does an absolutely awful job at it. Unconvincing with just about every sentence uttered.
I thought the voice acting, including his, was absolutely fine. I get that people got sick of the repetition of guard lines, but really, the voice acting was good in this game.

Anyone know if the Wall of Light kills count against the non-lethal stuff?
If you kill people with rewired Walls of Light, then yeah, that's lethal.

KlotePino

Yeah don't really get the complaints about voice acting, I thought their intonation and timing of the words really sold their character as realistic to me. It seemed like they were actually talking instead of just reading their lines. And although some of the guard dialogue got old and they probably should've just stopped talking after the 2/3rd time you hear it I was suprised by how much original dialogue there was for the guards too. They nearly all talk about the mission you're on giving some more colour to the world and the characters.

SparkTR

I really enjoyed the game and I loved the mechanics, it reminded me of a faster paced Thief with an emphasis on verticality. The length also wasn't an issue, I clocked 21 hours, though the ending was a bit sudden.

What I didn't like was how segmented the levels were, I could never really stretch my legs before I loaded into other instance. I was waiting for a section like 'Life of the Party' in Thief 2, but all I found pretty small, enclosed areas with multiple pathways to other small areas. I mean, they did their job and offered me some pretty awesome scenarios and gameplay, and I absolute loved the visual design of environments, but I was hoping for something more.

I don't mind how segmented it is. It's hard to get an open world right and I'd rather they nailed individual levels like they have rather than wasted time creating a mediocre open world.

I fully expect them to have it open world with the next game now they've got one game under their belt and the foundations laid down.

Eusis

I blame consoles here.
At least they aren't AS stifling as something made last gen would've been. Ram's the only area I really want the consoles to go crazy with, because you could probably do way more just with a modest hardware update... and piles of ram to make huge or at least seamless areas.

subversus

At least they aren't AS stifling as something made last gen would've been. Ram's the only area I really want the consoles to go crazy with, because you could probably do way more just with a modest hardware update... and piles of ram to make huge or at least seamless areas.

yep, Invisible War and Thief 3 suffered from the same problem. We need MOAR RAM.

SparkTR

I don't mind how segmented it is. It's hard to get an open world right and I'd rather they nailed individual levels like they have rather than wasted time creating a mediocre open world.

I fully expect them to have it open world with the next game now they've got one game under their belt and the foundations laid down.

I don't really want an open-world, but I definitely wanted something more free and grand than what they gave us. The game was still great and a benefit to doing it the way they did was that it funneled the player into set-pieces and story beats, which I enjoyed, but yeah I want both.

Regardless I would say this is a design issue as well, reading how confused playtesters got with the game the way it is now, I can't imagine they'll create a level like in Thief even if it's powered by next generation console hardware, which is a massive shame.

Thief Deadly Shadows was particularly horrible, even the 'large' open-world areas were smaller than a single level in the originals. The whole game just felt cramped, I really dislike that game.

subversus

making a large level isn't a problem when there are quest markers. It's certainly a memory issue, not a design issue.

I don't really want an open-world, but I definitely wanted something more free and grand than what they gave us. The game was still great and a benefit to doing it the way they did was that it funneled the player into set-pieces and story beats, which I enjoyed, but yeah I want both.

Regardless I would say this is a design issue as well, reading how confused playtesters got with the game the way it is now, I can't imagine they'll create a level like in Thief even if it's powered by next generation console hardware, which is a massive shame.

Big hubs like Deus Ex would be ideal.

That's not too far from what we got, but they could expand it.

Carbonox

Doing a new run to finish the game without being seen and without killing one. Finished the first mission and it says I have one hostile killed. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Top Bottom