• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Doing a new run to finish the game without being seen and without killing one. Finished the first mission and it says I have one hostile killed. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This happened to me several times. Here is a tip. Don't leave a knocked out guard close to the door that you blow up, the explosion will kill him.

Carbonox

This happened to me several times. Here is a tip. Don't leave a knocked out guard close to the door that you blow up, the explosion will kill him.

Yep I think that's where I went wrong. I did put him in the giant rubbish container next to the door you blow up thinking he would be safe but boy was I wrong.

Just re-did the mission and successfully beat it with 0 deaths.

After playing through the first mission a couple of times, I can speed through it something silly. Very simple mission once you get enemy patterns down and you know where to go. Can breeze through the sewer very easily as you can just swim under the enemies when you reach them.

LOVE THIS GAME.

SJRB

Gold Member
So at the masked ball mission,
I ended up with one kill but couln't figure out for the life of me how that was possible. Then I realised I shot the guy who challenged me to a duel (which was awesome by the way). Is there any way to win that without killing him? Sleeping dart, perhaps?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I windblasted a guy off of a ledge, froze time, possessed him and got out before he hit the ground so I'd survive the fall.
That is awesome and part of the reason the powers in this game are fantastically cool.

So at the masked ball mission,
I ended up with one kill but couln't figure out for the life of me how that was possible. Then I realised I shot the guy who challenged me to a duel (which was awesome by the way). Is there any way to win that without killing him? Sleeping dart, perhaps?

Sleeping dart.

Dresden

Finally got Strong Arms bone charm in
Dunwall Tower
. Wish I'd been able to get it earlier, would've helped so much.

Also with the +mana regen charm I can maintain Dark Vision indefinitely. :O

xenist

Finally got Strong Arms bone charm in
Dunwall Tower
. Wish I'd been able to get it earlier, would've helped so much.

It's indispenable for me. The mana regen not so much because I made myself treat dark vision as a short duration power. Pop it, count to three and remove it. Like some sort of super sonar. That's also the way I used detective vision in the Arkham games.

DSmalls84

Okay, that's awesome. Now I want windblast.

By the time I got past the tower I was out for blood so I sunk a few points into windblast. It is pretty satisfying blowing a few guards into a brick wall to dispatch them lol, but I didn't have it long enough to get super creative with it. Also was pretty useful for reflecting the projectiles that the Tall boys shoot at you back at them.

SJRB

Gold Member
So the runes are random? I'm not sure if that's clever or weird for a relatively linear game like his.

I got the fast-choke in the second mission, can't imagine certain moments in later missions without it.

DSmalls84

So the runes are random? I'm not sure if that's clever or weird for a relatively linear game like his.

I got the fast-choke in the second mission, can't imagine certain moments in later missions without it.

Yep I got fast-choke in the tower level.

nOoblet16

I have a few questions regarding killing people. Does the rat infestation increase even if the the dead people get vaporized ? And does the deaths caused by rewiring enemy weapons count towards your kill count and changes the game's ending ?

I have a few questions regarding killing people. Does the rat infestation increase even if the the dead people get vaporized ? And does the deaths caused by rewiring enemy weapons count towards your kill count and changes the game's ending ?

Yes to both. ANY action you take that results in a death counts as a kill.

Yeah, I was testing it out, if you quicksave before picking one up, and then reload that save after, there is a chance you'll get a different rune.

Akai

Rat infestation is based on your Chaos level, not on the number of dead bodies left in the street... ='D

And yes, even if you are indirectly responsible for an enemy's death it counts towards your total and towards the overall Chaos level...

DSmalls84

Yes to both. ANY action you take that results in a death counts as a kill.

Yeah, I was testing it out, if you quicksave before picking one up, and then reload that save after, there is a chance you'll get a different rune.

Hmm I'm going to try to start a second low chaos playthrough this week and get the strong arm rune earlier this time. It would definitely be more beneficial early in the game when you don't have access to all of your powers yet.

mujun

I also dislike how the levels are segmented. Ruins the flow a little. Still, I understood from the start that it's a memory restriction.

ctrayne

I windblasted a guy off of a ledge, froze time, possessed him and got out before he hit the ground so I'd survive the fall.

See this? This is why I don't get complaints about powers. They're great fun.

In my no-kill, Ghost, Flesh and Steel playthrough, I think I knocked out a grand total of two people. It's less trouble to just let people live and sneak by as much as possible.

In this very same playthrough, (mission 2 spoiler)
I let Curnow die from poisoning and then knocked out Campbell while he was gloating, but before he called the guards.
I know it was cruel, but it did not count as a kill against me. Only kills that are a result of your action count against you.

MMaRsu

Omfg Callista Curnow is Cersei from GoT...

That voice is so damn familiar!

Yeah I'm playing this game and having a blast.. I love this game! Got my blink at lvl 2 already, plus lvl 1 agility, dark sight or whatever and posession.

Derrick01

Banned
Omfg Callista Curnow is Cersei from GoT...

That voice is so damn familiar!

Yeah I'm playing this game and having a blast.. I love this game! Got my blink at lvl 2 already, plus lvl 1 agility, dark sight or whatever and posession.

Ah so that's who she played.

I just found out Sarandon did Granny Rags. Now I know why everyone was saying she did a good job.

Also, when knocking dudes out, be careful about where you leave them...if a mess of rats comes by and eats anyone you left lying on the floor unconscious, it will count against you.

Meier

Hi guys, if I just finished Borderlands 2, would you recommend I get Dishonored or X-Com next? Is there going to be any relative FPS burnout with this game for me or does it not really feel like one? I played The Witcher 2 before BL2 (discounting sports titles).

DukeBobby

Also, when knocking dudes out, be careful about where you leave them...if a mess of rats comes by and eats anyone you left lying on the floor unconscious, it will count against you.

I think this is what fucked up my no-kill playthrough.

I just found out Sarandon did Granny Rags. Now I know why everyone was saying she did a good job.

Sarandon's performance was easily the best in the game. In fact, it was the only one to really stand out. The rest were serviceable at best.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah so that's who she played.

Oh THAT's why the voice gets to me so much.
Hi guys, if I just finished Borderlands 2, would you recommend I get Dishonored or X-Com next? Is there going to be any relative FPS burnout with this game for me or does it not really feel like one? I played The Witcher 2 before BL2 (discounting sports titles).
In my opinion it fees nothing like an FPS and particularly nothing like BL2, but X-Com would still be more of a change for many reasons.

16 hours and I just ended up in the
flooded district.
Anyone getting through the game in under 10 is ludicrous. Also so far I love
the betrayal
really well done.

The Chef

16 hours and I just ended up in the
flooded district.
Anyone getting through the game in under 10 is ludicrous. Also so far I love
the betrayal
really well done.

Hahah totally. Its insane how long I have been playing this game so far and I am on the second mission. I probably have spent an hour alone looking for a safe combination for the
art dealer
But as I am typing this I think i just had an epiphany as to where the code could be. Oh shoot I gotta check this out!

pringles

Uggh what the fuck. I sneak through an entire (enormous, taken hours) mission, not killing or alerting anyone, but when I reach the meeting room where I' gonna assassinate Campbell, no matter what I do they get spooked by something and run out?

Either this is a really annoying bug or I've done something wrong in which case it's really annoying game design.

Liking the game alright so far, not as sold on it as I am on Xcom though.

Atruvius

Hahah totally. Its insane how long I have been playing this game so far and I am on the second mission. I probably have spent an hour alone looking for a safe combination for the
art dealer
But as I am typing this I think i just had an epiphany as to where the code could be. Oh shoot I gotta check this out!

I spent a long while looking for the code too. Here's a slight hint.
It's not in the house

art dealer

Ha I did the same thing.

Veelk

Banned
Also so far I love
the betrayal
really well done.

Really? I found it lacking. Perhaps not from a story telling sense, but...

The justifications they gave were numerous but weak. They wanted power, they feared being prosecuted for their actions, and they didn't think Emily would do what was needed to be done. If there are more, please remind me of them, but I think that was the general gist of it. But they all fall down to the same counterpoint: They just saved Emily's life and reinstalled her on the throne. The first thing she'd have done was honor them for their bravery, not persecute them for the conspiracy that saved her life and put her back in power. That's ridiculous, insane even. They also wanted power, but it's hard to think of how much more power they'd have had if they just let emily be empress. She's still a kid and with them being her savior's, I'm sure she'd allow them plenty of leeway until she grew up and learned to rule right.
I accept it because the game seems to be aware that it was a colossally stupid and pointless thing for them to do, but I'd have liked it more if they had better justifications for what they did.

Midou

Really? I found it lacking. Perhaps not from a story telling sense, but...

The justifications they gave were numerous but weak. They wanted power, they feared being prosecuted for their actions, and they didn't think Emily would do what was needed to be done. If there are more, please remind me of them, but I think that was the general gist of it. But they all fall down to the same counterpoint: They just saved Emily's life and reinstalled her on the throne. The first thing she'd have done was honor them for their bravery, not persecute them for the conspiracy that saved her life and put her back in power. That's ridiculous, insane even. They also wanted power, but it's hard to think of how much more power they'd have had if they just let emily be empress. She's still a kid and with them being her savior's, I'm sure she'd allow them plenty of leeway until she grew up and learned to rule right.
I accept it because the game seems to be aware that it was a colossally stupid and pointless thing for them to do, but I'd have liked it more if they had better justifications for what they did.

Yes, I agree with this entirely. I saw it a billion miles away and even figured out how it was going to happen. They did say
that Corvo would essentially be running things since she would listen to him over the loyalists, but at the same time, he just did all this shit you wanted, hes clearly on your side, why not try to run things with Emily as queen, Corvo as protector, and the loyalists as the council first and see how things go? There was no reason to believe the extreme right off the bat.
I can see that being a fairly generic set of events as well though, I don't really know what the best way to do things would have been. Perhaps do some missions
with Emily on the throne and Corvo fighting rebellion, finding out a way to get a cure or something.

ctrayne

Not to mention that, as in reality, people don't always think logically about their actions, especially stressful kneejerk ones. I assumed that certain characters' judgement was clouded by stress and maybe an unexpected lust for/enjoyment of power.

Whether or not that is good writing is another story, but I found it to be reasonable and plausible. Certainly did not hamper my enjoyment of the game, but I think your point is valid too. I do think most of the really great story bits are not to be taken at face value in the cutscenes, but in the background lore or environmental cues.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish I knew how Harvey can be so optimistic and excited about modern games and upcoming games. Everything that comes out is so generic and/or streamlined it's hard to enjoy it.

What's the general thought on how the game should be played for a first playthrough? I want to go through without killing but feel I'd be missing out on a lot of the fun the game offers.

Veelk

Banned
Not to mention that, as in reality, people don't always think logically about their actions, especially stressful kneejerk ones. I assumed that certain characters' judgement was clouded by stress and maybe an unexpected lust for/enjoyment of power.

Whether or not that is good writing is another story, but I found it to be reasonable and plausible. Certainly did not hamper my enjoyment of the game, but I think your point is valid too. I do think most of the really great story bits are not to be taken at face value in the cutscenes, but in the background lore or environmental cues.

It just makes me respect those guys a bit less for making such a stupid decision, that's all.

And yeah, the world they built up here is incredible. They added a good deal of depth to every facet of it. Religion, politics, science and technology, disease and medicine, social economics, class warfare, the supernatural stuff with the Outsider, down to the more minor things like giving personal information about the guards and survivors. And they have so much more to explore, like Pandessia and other major countries in the Isles. The foundation for the world building here is fantastic. The devs put a lot of work into it and they should be proud.

The only thing I think they failed with is giving the outsider a proper motivation for doing what he does. I know he is doing it so that things will be 'interesting' but why does the empires rise or fall or how good a person Corvo is interest him? What does an otherworldly being care about the petty politics of humans?

However, I'm sure this is something they'll expand upon in the sequel, so I'm not too upset, and they did hint at things coming, since the void is supposedly eating away at reality.

Yes, I agree with this entirely. I saw it a billion miles away and even figured out how it was going to happen. They did say
that Corvo would essentially be running things since she would listen to him over the loyalists, but at the same time, he just did all this shit you wanted, hes clearly on your side, why not try to run things with Emily as queen, Corvo as protector, and the loyalists as the council first and see how things go? There was no reason to believe the extreme right off the bat.
I can see that being a fairly generic set of events as well though, I don't really know what the best way to do things would have been. Perhaps do some missions
with Emily on the throne and Corvo fighting rebellion, finding out a way to get a cure or something.

If the loyalists hadn't betrayed Corvo, the game would have ended when you take care of the Regent. The entire conflict was caused by him and emily not being on the throne, so once she was, it was pretty much done. There would be no more gaurds to fight or political enemies to eliminate except I guess the assassin that killed her in the first place.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I wish I knew how Harvey can be so optimistic and excited about modern games and upcoming games. Everything that comes out is so generic and/or streamlined it's hard to enjoy it.

may be because Harvey is a glass half-full man while you always think that glass is half-empty (or just fucking empty most of times).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What's the general thought on how the game should be played for a first playthrough? I want to go through without killing but feel I'd be missing out on a lot of the fun the game offers.

it should be played the way you want but don't save often. Experiment after every fuck up, don't reload if you botched your stealth. Combat is amazing, use your powers during it

edit: this one is amazing too.

ctrayne

I came away from reading that interview pretty impressed with his attitude. Perspective is definitely a great thing to have.

For the reasons you mentioned, though, I hope he gets to make more games!

Sullichin

Yeah I don't know how people are beating this so fast. I just beat the second mission and I'm like 5-6 hours in, and I didn't even do everything in those missions. My character's narrative doesn't make any sense; I'm killing random thugs and doing the non lethal mission objectives when they seem more interesting. The shooting feels so good. I don't feel like I'm just playing a stealth game with shooting shoehorned into it, or that I'm playing "wrong" when I decide to shoot people in the face with my cross bow because they found me. I love the stealth too and using blink for traversal. I can definitely see myself playing through this again on a harder difficulty and only using stealth/non lethal approaches, but for now I'm enjoying the variety in the gameplay.

Mission 2 non lethal option...
holy shit at the art dealer in the electric chair. That dude's fucked up. I wasn't expecting that.
I already want to go back and do the lethal option in this mission because I didn't explore all of
The Golden Cat

This game is great.

So I'm about to try to do a run without kills or alerting anyone and was wondering if I can just re do the missions or do I have to start a new game?

pringles

Uggh what the fuck. I sneak through an entire (enormous, taken hours) mission, not killing or alerting anyone, but when I reach the meeting room where I' gonna assassinate Campbell, no matter what I do they get spooked by something and run out?

Either this is a really annoying bug or I've done something wrong in which case it's really annoying game design.

Liking the game alright so far, not as sold on it as I am on Xcom though.
Googled this and it seems it's a glitch that many are experiencing.. no way to fix it except redo the whole mission.. damn, this is a bummer, don't feel like doing everything again. Sigh.

Top Bottom