• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

I wish I knew how Harvey can be so optimistic and excited about modern games and upcoming games. Everything that comes out is so generic and/or streamlined it's hard to enjoy it.

Good games are still coming out. As long as you avoid the bad stuff there's a great deal of fun to be had with modern games.

Mitama

The loading times (console) really killed this for me. I love experimenting in stealth games but when each reload takes over 10 seconds, yeah...

I'm glad this is the only game I'll be playing until December (Far Cry 3) because it'll give me enough time for my current non-lethal ghost (very hard) playthrough and then crazy cool combat playthrough :D

Are there going to be more Weepers? The AI reminds me of the last "zombies" in Human Revolution with their fidgety movement, and god that was infuriating to do non-lethal.

Coconut

Banned
I'm glad this is the only game I'll be playing until December (Far Cry 3) because it'll give me enough time for my current non-lethal ghost (very hard) playthrough and then crazy cool combat playthrough :D

Are there going to be more Weepers? The AI reminds me of the last "zombies" in Human Revolution with their fidgety movement, and god that was infuriating to do non-lethal.

In finding it easy to sneak up on the weepers. Usually they are just standing looking toward the ground.

In finding it easy to sneak up on the weepers. Usually they are just standing looking toward the ground.

Ok, because the first two you meet under the pub are looking in your direction so I was wary and just used my sleep darts from afar. So getting behind them is not so bad? Should I use Blink for that?

Mitama

Yes it was installed. You don't find them bothersome? Maybe it gets better in later missions, I dunno. It's just annoying when I died a couple times in a row trying different stuff and then I'd have to wait for it to reload. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime since I really enjoyed how open the world was and the background story interests me a lot.

I'm sure this has been asked already numerous times in this 110 + page thread,

But can someone clarify "Model Details" for me in the PC version?

I want to play it on "High", but I think it's shaving off a few frames from the performance.

I don't seem to notice much change visually, does it refer to character models only? Or the entire environments? I kinda notice a bit of texture downgrade while on "Normal" but not sure.

And does it (High setting) actually hinder performance, or it's all in my head?

nobody eh?

Derrick01

Banned
Game seems to be even easier on the 2nd go around even though I bumped it up to very hard and I'm trying to find new paths. I think it's because I mastered blink now and I know what has to be done and the general location of everything. I'm pretty much finding new paths on purpose just to find them at this point. I just ghosted the overseer mission in about 10 minutes and that was with using a new path, it's just the path took me almost right to the room I had to be in.

Yes it was installed. You don't find them bothersome? Maybe it gets better in later missions, I dunno. It's just annoying when I died a couple times in a row trying different stuff and then I'd have to wait for it to reload. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime since I really enjoyed how open the world was and the background story interests me a lot.

You know what I very rarely initiate a reload. I try to be as stealthy as possible and if people see me the combat is so satisfying I just roll with it. I only reload when I die for the most part. In general though I can't remember the load time of a game significantly bothering me enough to stop playing so its probably not something I'm sensitive to.

Ferrio

Banned
I really wish the Boyle mission had been more... cryptic.

I thought it was going to be fun trying to piece together who was the right boyle through tons of clues from patrons and other stuff.
But pretty much within the first minute a person goes "Hey these two boyles are named X and wearing Y"
Then some crazy guy runs up seconds later and goes "The one you want is named esma" So within a span of like 3 minutes of entering the place I knew my target... what a let down

Mitama

You know what I very rarely initiate a reload. I try to be as stealthy as possible and if people see me the combat is so satisfying I just roll with it. I only reload when I die for the most part. In general though I can't remember the load time of a game significantly bothering me enough to stop playing so its probably not something I'm sensitive to.

To be honest I think that's by far the most fun way to complete this game the first time through. Stealth is nice, sure, but there's so much cool stuff you can do combat wise that I actually felt like I was missing out on a stealth only run. I kinda wish there were some extra abilities or upgrades for stealth though, because most of the rune abilities help out with combat and like 90% of Piero's upgrades are beneficient to your weapons. I don't think he even had upgrades related to stealth, aside from charm slots and a rune.

nOoblet16

So killing the weepers counts as kills towards bad morality as well...what ?
That's like saying killing zombies that try to kill you is immoral. I don't get some stuff, killing means more rat infestation but if there are no bodies in the first place then there shouldn't be more rats.

Imo this game is very game like, and lacks cohesion/uniformity....for me it's quite possibly the least immersive game that I've played this year, still a good game though but nothing as impressive/groundbreaking as everyone is calling it out to be.

DSmalls84

To be honest I think that's by far the most fun way to complete this game the first time through. Stealth is nice, sure, but there's so much cool stuff you can do combat wise that I actually felt like I was missing out on a stealth only run. I kinda wish there were some extra abilities or upgrades for stealth though, because most of the rune abilities help out with combat and like 90% of Piero's upgrades are beneficient to your weapons. I don't think he even had upgrades related to stealth, aside from charm slots and a rune.

He had several boot upgrades that reduced the noise you made, and the magnifying lens for your mask but that was about the extent of the stealth upgrades.

Riposte

The problem with combat is that enemies are pretty rudimentary in ability and AI. The fact some of them pull out guns is cool though. Another case of the game not really being designed around powers well. Good for some mechanical masturbation I guess though.

kaskade

So far I'm really liking the game. I just killed the two brothers. My play style is pretty much try and be steathly but if shit goes down I just wreck fools. I might try to go for a fully non lethal play through second time around. Game does a great job of making you feel like a badass though. The drop down air assassinations are so damn fun.

pringles

Game seems to be even easier on the 2nd go around even though I bumped it up to very hard and I'm trying to find new paths. I think it's because I mastered blink now and I know what has to be done and the general location of everything. I'm pretty much finding new paths on purpose just to find them at this point. I just ghosted the overseer mission in about 10 minutes and that was with using a new path, it's just the path took me almost right to the room I had to be in.
It really seems like an absurdly easy game. I'm only on my 1st run but I jumped straight into Very Hard and ghosted that mission with little trouble (despite the last section being glitched). I didn't even bother using the 7 or so runes I have. They'll come in handy if the difficulty ramps up though.

JohngPR

He had several boot upgrades that reduced the noise you made, and the magnifying lens for your mask but that was about the extent of the stealth upgrades.

Yep.

Also upgrades like blink, being able to see through walls, sleep darts working instantaneously, being able to double jump, and stopping time all help you towards stealth if you use them that way.

Allforce

I'm falling into the "interesting, but not that great" camp as well, after 4-5 missions in, I've just become....bored with the game. There is nothing motivating me to play the game other than just as a brazen action hero at this point, slaughtering foes with ease and then blinking away to a slightly-above-eyesight bookshelf in the room so the guards can fall back into their rote dialog and pathfinding routines.

I understand that I COULD go in stealthily, hide all bodies, and take out the target using whatever scheme I overhear from the mandatory guard conversation which exposes the target's 'big weakness", but what's the incentive besides knowing "I am a slightly quieter bad-ass"? I still get a pat on the back and a completely phoned-in speech from John Slattery when I arrive back at the not-so-secret secret base.

For curiosity's sake, tell me how I was supposed to capture the Mad Doctor™ in his little greenhouse above the bridge? I waltzed in and shot a sleep arrow into his neck and then carried him down to the boat. End of Mission. There was talk of "strange deliveries going to the doctor at all hours" between two guards so was I supposed to just hide in a UPS package and get up there?

The problem with combat is that enemies are pretty rudimentary in ability and AI. The fact some of them pull out guns is cool though. Another case of the game not really being designed around powers well. Good for some mechanical masturbation I guess though.

If the combat wasnt built around the powers you wouldnt have to utilize them to survive which just isnt true. I think once you get slow time the combat really opens up. Having a group of guys approach you and having to block the first guys sword attack while instantly engaging slow time to dodge the guy shooting with his pistol and blinking out of the way is really satisfying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game has kind of lost some of the charm for me. The past couple missions (
Return to Dunwall Tower and Flooded district
)have been kind of lackluster, although the second has at least had a few great moments. Hoping the games picks up again at the end because the first 4 missions were wonderful.

cametall

I try to be sneaky-sneaky and not kill people (except targets, they die) but unless I screw up bad, like attract a friggen army, I just go with the moment and try to knock people out. If I miss my sleep dart shot then I stab em in the face and hide the body.

In Deus Ex I would reload saves if someone even so much as saw me, but that got tiresome. I'm not doing that with this game.

JJD

Man this game is fucking amazing.

Best game of the year so far. What a pleasant surprise.

My only issue with it is my tendency to save and reload every time I make a mistake, it's affecting my play through. I should just man up and keep going, I bet I would enjoy the game even more that way.

My only issue with it is my tendency to save and reload every time I make a mistake, it's affecting my play through. I should just man up and keep going, I bet I would enjoy the game even more that way.

Just keep going bro its the best way to play.

Riposte

If the combat wasnt built around the powers you wouldnt have to utilize them to survive which just isnt true. I think once you get slow time the combat really opens up. Having a group of guys approach you and having to block the first guys sword attack while instantly engaging slow time to dodge the guy shooting with his pistol and blinking out of the way is really satisfying.

I wouldn't go as far to say that powers have no use in combat, that largely depends on how many enemies you are fighting (it can range between 2-3 to 10+), however I don't believe enemies were built with powers in mind. The closest thing to that would be the overseer guys who just turn off all your powers. Not exactly what I mean though.

I would say that time mend does more than open combat scenarios, it ends them.

The Chef

Finished. Took about 34 hrs. :p

That a boy!! I figure it will take me about the same amount of time.

I used to reload EVERYTIME someone saw me. Now if that happens I just plunge a blade in their neck. As long as no alarm goes, then I keep playing. Its freakin awesome.

Enco

The
prison break
at the beginning of the flooded chapter is such an intense sequence. I
wind blasted the door open, threw a brick at the assassin and made the frantic run to the top of the tower where I dived into the water.

DSmalls84

The
prison break
at the beginning of the flooded chapter is such an intense sequence. I
wind blasted the door open, threw a brick at the assassin and made the frantic run to the top of the tower where I dived into the water.

Didn't realize that was an option.
I just posessed a rat and craweled out that way.

Locke_211

For the people who say the game peaks at the
Party
mission, I thought the one after was amazing too. Different in pace and all that, but still amazing. Lots of options! My least favourite so far as been the
Bridge
, mainly because it's more of a straight line than the others.

Also the
Party
is a great one for resetting your chaos from high to low.

SJRB

Gold Member
In the Return to the Tower mission,
I used the audiocard to broadcast some private recordings from the High Overseer, after which he got arrested. But no audio played when I entered the thing, was this a glitch? I expected to hear the confessions too, because.. well, why not? That's the climax of the mission after all.

Instead I got nothing, and I will never know what happened.

Locke_211

In the Return to the Tower mission,
I used the audiocard to broadcast some private recordings from the High Overseer, after which he got arrested. But no audio played when I entered the thing, was this a glitch? I expected to hear the confessions too, because.. well, why not? That's the climax of the mission after all.

Instead I got nothing, and I will never know what happened.

Just finished that mission earlier today and took the same route.
Yes, you should hear his confessions as they broadcast. He explains a bit about the plague situation as well as admitting having the Empress killed

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished that mission earlier today and took the same route.
Yes, you should hear his confessions as they broadcast. He explains a bit about the plague situation as well as admitting having the Empress killed

Damnit, I knew it. Well it's my fault for not reloading a prior savegame when it happened.

Now I could say "I'll get it next playthrough", but you bet next playthrough I'm gonna bleed him, real quit. And leave him there.

I had a bug in that mission. I went to the
high overseer, not killing him
, went back to play the thingy and then tried to go back to him again. I could select the door to the outside but got stuck before the door opened, having to reload the save.

Can someone with a PC version of Dishonored PM me. I need help on something.

If you do help me I'll give you X-COM steam for $33. It'll include the Elite Soldier.

lol, why
is Samuel suddenly a huge dick at the beginning of the last level? What's the point of bringing me to the island if he nearly gets me killed right at the beginning?
(last level)

Top Bottom