• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

The devs said at least 12 for going straight through, doing no side quests or exploring and around 24 for doing everything.

I was just going off a Youtube comment. :p As long is there is lots to see and replay value is decent.

RE6's non-stop 30 hours of action kinda burned me out. I'm after something a bit slower paced now. Will consider buying depending on people's impressions.

Vol5

OK, I'm starting to fear for the PS3 version. Must be someone out there with a copy and can post impressions?

WX3

Preordered with next day shipping from gamestop, which is something I have never done before. I am really excited about the entire package.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
They exist for control of information and to ensure quality of review, and it stems from two trains of thought. Firstly, embargoes prevent potentially bad reviews souring a game before it has released, and it also curbs misleading and erroneous information, as well as surprises, from being spoiled in media. Secondly, publishers do actually want reviewers to finish and properly review these games. No embargo is essentially saying "first in, best dressed", and it encourages journalists to rush through both the game and their writing to be the first review on the web/print and thus get all the hits. Embargoes put most everybody on equal grounding.

It's especially important for those working in print, who cant compete with digital. Without embargoes they'd be more screwed than they already are.

ah, the games journalism version of a "first!" comment.

vazel

Banned
"I was also the lead designer of Deus Ex, and unfortunately we did the thing where - I mean, I love Deus Ex obviously - where in the final mission make a decision about which of the three or four endgames you wanted to trigger. Dishonored does not work that way."

Oh god, this game sounds too good to be true!
I'm glad he realizes that was a horrible way to end DX. Didn't DX3 do the same shit though?

Hindle

Banned
There will be loads of replayability with this, playing the game without killing anyone, playing the game without using powers etc.

anddo0

OK, I'm starting to fear for the PS3 version. Must be someone out there with a copy and can post impressions?

As a PS3 owner I'd be worried as well.
Beth is only publishing. But I'm not taking the risk. I'm going with the PC version.

I hate it when a good game sells poorly because of piracy and everyone blame it on the PC. But now i know the main reason of poor sales. And its the Xbox360. Everyone of my friends who owns a Xbox360 has this game already (illegal) and it sucks to hear about the game from them. I waited for it and im gonna wait a bit more (probably November depends on the PS3 version quality) and this really makes me sad.

Great OT, Salsa.

I fully expect ~20h for my first semi-violent stealth run. Second or third will be no-kill.

You have to kill your targets.

Hasn't it been confirmed multiple times that you can do a completely no kill play through?

I think it will be like Hitman. You have to kill your target but u can do things so somebody killed him or rats killing him. But in the end you were the one who killed your target. Well you would be a bad Assassin if you kill nobody. Then you would start a mission and could walk away from the first minute.

zkylon

zkylewd
I plan on killing only the targets on my first run. Second run will be 100% pacifist run, then third will be psychotic rage run :)

Spookie

Ill spoiler all of this but it was said at Eurogamer Expo by the devs:

Apparently your final mission is profoundly impacted by your behaviour throughout the game. They hinted at being a prick will get you a very different final level than someone who had blinked past all possible combat. On top of that they said the game had, if I recall correctly, SEVEN endings.

Edit: You can also complete the game without killing anyone they said.

Jb

I think it will be like Hitman. You have to kill your target but u can do things so somebody killed him or rats killing him. But in the end you were the one who killed your target. Well you would be a bad Assassin if you kill nobody. Then you would start a mission and could walk away from the first minute.

Nah they've confirmed you can completely ghost the game by completing small sidequests to make targets disappear rather than outright killing them (ex: sending them to the mines).

Nah they've confirmed you can completely ghost the game by completing small sidequests to make targets disappear rather than outright killing them (ex: sending them to the mines).

Thats new to me. And thanks for the information. Sounds really awesome.

Like inferno said, when they say without killing anyone that just means without killing anyone directly. so you can't go up and stab someone, but you can turn on the steam and lock them in a room so they die. You do have to kill the targets this way, everyone else you can skip.

I'm wondering if incapacitating random AI in the levels will count against this. I really like it when stealth games let you play through without killing anyone but it kind of takes away from the experience when you can just knock everyone on the level out instead of killing them. In Deus Ex HR I would just sneak up and press LT for takedown instead of RT for a kill.

Spookie

Didn't one of the previews say that in one mission you could send your target to the slave mines (which he ownes)?

Yes, you can sell the two brothers to a slaver who will wipe their history and put them to work in their own oppressive mines.

Like inferno said, when they say without killing anyone that just means without killing anyone directly. so you can't go up and stab someone, but you can turn on the steam and lock them in a room so they die. You do have to kill the targets this way, everyone else you can skip.

They made it pretty clear you can complete the game without your targets dying, not just without you killing them. It will take ages to find ways to do it I'd imagine, but it's possible.

Nessus

I'm glad he realizes that was a horrible way to end DX. Didn't DX3 do the same shit though?

I realize a lot of people didn't like that, but I sorta enjoyed how Invisible War managed to work in all 3 canon endings of the first game.

I think the bigger problem with Human Revolution's way of doing it was that it was just a narration. You didn't get to actually see anything.

MedIC86

"I was also the lead designer of Deus Ex, and unfortunately we did the thing where - I mean, I love Deus Ex obviously - where in the final mission make a decision about which of the three or four endgames you wanted to trigger. Dishonored does not work that way."

Dont get your hopes up yet, remember ME3 "its impossible to know beforehand what ending your gonna get...."

Top Bottom