• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

In regard to the game length, Dan Todd who I assume is the level designer at Arkane Studios (by looking at his info on the internet forum) made the statement below:

My ghost & no kills playthrough took 22 hours. That's without exploring every nook and cranny, and knowing the solution to everything beforehand. It should take more thorough / inexperienced players a bit longer than that.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1413477-any-word-on-how-long-dishonored-is/page__st__30__p__21595304#entry21595304

The console copies are out in Hong Kong already, still undecided, want to wait till the reviews are in to decide between Dishonored or XCOM. Leaning towards Dishonored cos I'm not good with strategic games at all, but the premise intrigues me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe hours aren't a good estimate, how about how many main missions there are? Also, does the game have a level editor like Thief (at launch or planned)? That would be a big plus. Especially if it can also be modded to include things the game doesn't have (and maybe exclude things it does have, like certain skills and weapons that may not suit certain mission types).

Maybe hours aren't a good estimate, how about how many main missions there are? Also, does the game have a level editor like Thief (at launch or planned)? That would be a big plus. Especially if it can also be modded to include things the game doesn't have (and maybe exclude things it does have, like certain skills and weapons that may not suit certain mission types).

Should be
9 or 11
missions.
EDIT: Spoilered, since someone might not want to know. Sorry if you read it before spoiling. :(

Alexios

That's not very many, less than Thief (and Gold), but it should be enough if they're well designed with large open levels etc.

Torraz

Game length has never, EVER been linked to game quality.

10 hour game with no fat >>>>>> 40 hour game with bloat, fetch quests, backtracking, etc.

Sure, bloated games are suboptimal but with the size of most people's backlogs, i wouldn't fault people for waiting for the inevitable (and quick) pricedrop - due to the negative stigma attached to shorter games.

jet1911

What the hell kind of estimate is this?

Some people finished Deus Ex HR in 12 hours, others finished it in 25 or even 30 hours. If you want to go completly stealthy and explore every levels inside out this will take a lot more time than going on a rampage run.

Sure, bloated games are suboptimal but with the size of most people's backlogs, i wouldn't fault people for waiting for the inevitable (and quick) pricedrop - due to the negative stigma attached to shorter games.

Maybe I'm the weird one but I have a huge backlog and 40 hours games don't interest me one bit. If I buy a game I want to be sure I'll finish it :p

Mendrox

I also saw the stream and he has done it in 4 hours... and he died often.... :(

Edit:

Welp it was a little bit more than 5 hours!

bumclot

10 hour game with no fat >>>>>> 40 hour game with bloat, fetch quests, backtracking, etc.

+1

And there is no way anyone is going to beat this in 2 or 4 hours unless it's a second or subsequent playthrough, period.

Mendrox

A few facts:

- played a little bit more than 5 hours
- died very often...
- played on easy lol
- played stealth at first, got kicked in the nuts, killed everything after that

So I guess on normal you get to play 7-10 hours (10 hours maximum)

A few facts:

- died very often...
- played on easy lol

That's what I was able to understand, too.
Wish there was some reliable comment about the quality of the game itself. Unfortunately, it's 4chan.

That's what I was able to understand, too.
Wish there was some reliable comment about the quality of the game itself. Unfortunately, it's 4chan.

4chan is not reliable. The streamer didnt even played the real game (probably just the pirated one. Maybe there was even some cut content from the pirate version). And was probably a 13 years old CoD gamer. So what do u expect from a board with 14 years old "gamer".

Mendrox

4chan is not reliable. The streamer didnt even played the real game (probably just the pirated one. Maybe there was even some cut content from the pirate version). And was probably a 13 years old CoD gamer. So what do u expect from a board with 14 years old "gamer".

It's the retail version that was leaked. :(

SparkTR

It's times like this that I don't understand why review embargoes exist. Instead of your game being fairly presented by the press it's being shown off by live streamers who don't give a shit about it or how it's played, and since it's the only thing out there the gaming community will lap it up. But hey, if they're that serious about shooting themselves in the foot then they can go right ahead.

They made it pretty clear you can complete the game without your targets dying, not just without you killing them. It will take ages to find ways to do it I'd imagine, but it's possible.

I thought that was only for specific mission/targets. Your saying that EVERY mission can be completed by "shipping" someone off in different ways? That seems a little weird. A few, ok. But every target?

Spruchy

Yes, this is likely.

I absolutely agree. resident evil 6, for example, would be a much much better game if it didn't have so much fat / padding. a lot of the chapters become tedious after a while because the fat / padding is so obvious and really affects gameplay / replayability.

ironcreed

Banned
A few facts:

- died very often...
- played on easy lol

Even then, it is looking like the 20+ hours is going to be a huge exaggeration. But on the bright side, there are so many choices and it looks fun and varied enough to make you want to go right back and play it again. One thing RE6 has reminded me of, is that quality is greater than quantity. This is of course common sense, but sometimes we lose sight of that. I thank you, RE6. For it is now etched firmly into my being, lol.

Derrick01

Banned

What about a 40 hour game with very little of that? 10 hours should be the absolute minimum a non RPG lasts. Either way we're not even talking 10 hours here, we're talking 5-6 now. I would be really upset if I finished this in that amount of time.

It's the retail version that was leaked. :(

But just when a small noob plays a game in his playstyle doesnt mean the game is really 4 hours long and doesnt mean the game is bad. There should be more than one ending so its 7xY (Y> stands for the time u need for each playtrough. Stealth playtrough needs more hours then the "OMG IM GOD IM RUN AND GUN EVERYONE LIKE IN COD BECAUSE ITS A COD LIKE GAME" Playtrough). So i dont give a damn about this because its coming from Arkane Studios and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was awesome. And u could beat that game in 4 hours too.

jet1911

What about a 40 hour game with very little of that? 10 hours should be the absolute minimum a non RPG lasts. Either way we're not even talking 10 hours here, we're talking 5-6 now. I would be really upset if I finished this in that amount of time.

Well play it on easy and kill everyone ;)

Alexios

Shouldn't killing everyone make it last longer? I mean, if enemies are no threat then stealth would be unecessary. Stealth is good in Thief because of how dangerous enemies can be (even though after you learn the game inside out you can probably kill some enemy types quite effectively, on the first playthrough few could). If it's easy to kill them then failing a stealth run you'd just kill everyone who was alerted and proceed rather than die horribly and restart. I'll be very disappointed if you can save yourself like that all the time and challenge only comes from forcing yourself to avoid using available features and options or something. So yeah, trying to save impressions by saying some "noob COD kid" finished it fast is making it sound worse.

I hope it's atleast 10 hours on a playthrough of both stealth and killing when detected (like I normally play). Length is definitely not quality but it would be nice to have a longer quality time.

Derrick01

Banned
Shouldn't killing everyone make it last longer? I mean, if enemies are no threat then stealth would be unecessary. Stealth is good in Thief because of how dangerous enemies can be, if it's just as easy to kill them then failing a stealth run you'd just kill everyone and proceed rather than die horribly and restart making it last longer.

I imagine on hard and very hard you can't COD your way through the game very effectively. It always looked like the game was going to be easy on the easier difficulties, through every video we've seen on the game.

Spookie

Stealth is good in Thief because of how dangerous enemies can be,

When I played the demo on normal a pistol shot would take a good 1/3 to 1/2 off my health and that wasn't including the other melee folks wailing on me. I couldn't go foot to foot with anyone I had to use my abilities or leave. Health didn't regen and health potions weren't plentiful enough for me to keep chugging them through fights.

Easy may just make opponents much easier, health potions appear more often and heal for more.

jett

D-Member
A few facts:

- died very often...
- played on easy lol

I never would've imagined this game would be so short, I thought it'd be really long for some reason.

ironcreed

Banned
While I do believe quality and replay value comes before quantity, I am also hoping for at least 8-10 hours. I was lead to believe it was a bare minimum of 12, with the possibility to stretch it over 20. I still think I'll love it, but if it really ends up being only 4-6 hours going stealth, then then I will be more disappointed in the huge lie Arkane told than I will be over the game length.

allansm

I was thinking in pre ordering the game this weekend, but reading how short it is, I guess I'll wait for a price drop... What I saw of the game really caught my interest, but there is no way I will pay $45 for a game that can be completed so fast by someone playing for the first time.

While I do believe quality and replay value comes before quantity, I am also hoping for at least 8-10 hours. I was lead to believe it was a bare minimum of 12, with the possibility to stretch it over 20. I still think I'll love it, but if it really ends up being only 4-6 hours going stealth, then then I will be more disappointed in the huge lie Arkane told than I will be over the game length.

Yes, well... I've always gone for quality over quantity, but if it's actually 4 hours stealthing I'll be disappointed too.

Tess3ract

Banned
12-25 hours.
When a dev gives you a playtime estimate, take about 4-6 hours off anything they mention.

So for people rushing through I imagine it taking 6-19~ hours tops for the majority of people

Solo I like hearing your opinions because when I know you hate something, I'll like something. I feel the exact opposite.

Hindle

Banned
The number of missions looks to be near Hitman Blood Money, if it has the same replayability as that then it should be fine IMO.

Tess3ract

Banned
If he was playing anything he was playing the 360 version because that leaked already.

So yes, it absolutely was the full version. It doesn't seem as if there was any cut content (other than what the player sped through)

Top Bottom