• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

neoism

Another bloated 10 hour game huh.

Tell me how you feel about 100 hour epic rpgs.

10 hours bloated game lol... if its only 10 hours and its bloated its shit by default.... I was excepting at least a 20 hours campaign with enough reply to play it 2 more times...

they really should have had a demo for all platforms....

Steaks

Omg I feel like I am going to get a nose bleed from this thread.
So because of a lack of creativity on the developers part we should all just lower our expectations from now on?

A game can have a 4-5 hour campaign can be good.

You are not looking for that game.

Im not asking for filler. Im asking for plenty of good content. What is this notion that length means "filler"

Of course in a ideal world you would have a 20 hours game with no filler and original content all the way through. But at some point budgets, time and personal is ressources that need to taken into account.

If Dishonored is actually 5 hours long, it probably has no filler content, but if they had to be forced by marketing or execs to be 15 hours due to external pressure they suddenly can't drum it up out of nowhere and would need to go the filler route and do some redundant stuff.

The overall argument for me at least is, that I would rather see a five hour game that has no filler in order to reach a certain number that makes testers or marketing happy, but is just straight up the vision of the developers and nothing else.

neoism

4 hours if you blast your way through but a lot more (20-25) if you explore and try to be a ghost.

I think it's reasonable.

In all fairness the only way to play is on hard and just take your time I guess... Goddamn that Bethesda tax.. :/

Guys, seriously... 4 hours is WAY too short, even if rushing and killing everyone.
If it was something like 7-8 hours killing everyone it would be fine by me, since people finished Human Revolution in 8 hours the same way (took 24 hours to me), but four is... short. Too short.

Luigi87

I just feel the need to say, I don't know about it being too short at 4-5 hours.
Hell, it's easy to clear MGS4 in 3-4 hours if you rush on through (and of course need to do so under 5 hours for the BBE).

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sorry, but WHAT? If you say a 10 hour game is bloated, then you only play COD of BF. Most games of this type last at least 20 hours. Deus Ex for example lasted that.
Thief too.
I just feel the need to say, I don't know about it being too short at 4-5 hours.
Hell, it's easy to clear MGS4 in 3-4 hours if you rush on through (and of course need to do so under 5 hours for the BBE).
That's not the first playthrough though. No one is getting the BBE the first time they play MGS4. The story alone is like twelve hours long.

Derrick01

Banned
4 hours if you blast your way through but a lot more (20-25) if you explore and try to be a ghost.

I think it's reasonable.

Yeah if you watch the 2 golden cat playthroughs the action one can be completed in something like 5 minutes, or it seemed like that at least. The stealth one took quite a bit longer and that's with the guy knowing what to do and where to go, and he didn't do any optional exploring on his own since he knew where to go (also because they were doing a video, gotta keep it as short as possible). I think it'll be fine for stealth people.

RPG : Make a world. But a few enemies in it. Make a few buildings wich u can enter. Let him grind. Bon appétit.
Action Adventure FPS : Make a world that fits the gameplay. Every enemy u encounter shouldnt be too hard nor to easy. It should scale the gameplay and experience of the gamer (Like the Adam in Bioshock, Augments in Deus Ex etc). Multiple choices. More then one way to the end.

There were a couple of games you could finish in 5-6 hours in a particularly way. If you had teleporters in GTA4 or RDR. You could easily beat the games in 5 hours. If you run and gun everybody in Hitman you finished the game in 4 hours. Every FF game would be 5 hours without cutscenes grinding and go from a to b shit. Without tricks like driving to the mission, sidemissions, grinding and cutscenes most of the games would be 5-8 hours long.

10 hours can feel bloated if the pacing is poor. Doing the same thing for 10 hours is not any more entertaining that doing the same thing for 5 hours.

Derrick01

Banned
10 hours can feel bloated if the pacing is poor. Doing the same thing for 10 hours is not any more entertaining that doing the same thing for 5 hours.

Playing Max Payne 3 again reminds me of your example. It took me 8 hours to beat it the first time but it felt like 20, the game dragged more than any ultra linear game I can remember.

injurai

Banned
2133502_o.gif

Playing Max Payne 3 again reminds me of your example. It took me 8 hours to beat it the first time but it felt like 20, the game dragged more than any ultra linear game I can remember.

Yeah I had fun with MP3 but damn that game dragged like crazy.

So I hate to be joining the thread late but where in the world is the the 4-5 hr playthrough times coming from?

How do we go from 10-20hrs to 4-5?

So I hate to be joining the thread late but where in the world is the the 4-5 hr playthrough times coming from?

Someone streamed the game. 4 hours with rushing on easy and dying a lot.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Omg I feel like I am going to get a nose bleed from this thread.
So because of a lack of creativity on the developers part we should all just lower our expectations from now on?

I'm confused at how length has anything to do with creativity. My expectations are the game is as long as it needs to be. Not a bullet point on the back of the box used for marketing.

Someone who did a stream on 4chan claims it's 4 hours on easy if you run and kill everything that moves.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Playing a game for the first time and clearing in that time is vastly different.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RPG : Make a world. But a few enemies in it. Make a few buildings wich u can enter. Let him grind. Bon appétit.
Action Adventure FPS : Make a world that fits the gameplay. Every enemy u encounter shouldnt be too hard nor to easy. It should scale the gameplay and experience of the gamer (Like the Adam in Bioshock, Augments in Deus Ex etc). Multiple choices. More then one way to the end.

There were a couple of games you could finish in 5-6 hours in a particularly way. If you had teleporters in GTA4 or RDR. You could easily beat the games in 5 hours. If you run and gun everybody in Hitman you finished the game in 4 hours. Every FF game would be 5 hours without cutscenes grinding and go from a to b shit. Without tricks like driving to the mission, sidemissions, grinding and cutscenes most of the games would be 5-8 hours long.
You've been playing some baaad RPGs man. Too bad.

The Chef

Oh geez, I must have skipped over the "rushing on easy" line. I thought that was a regular playthough.
However, the damage has been done. I am way too cheap and fearful to take this 4-5 hour comments lightly. Breaks my heart but I'm gonna cancel my preorder.

neoism

I'm sorry, but WHAT? If you say a 10 hour game is bloated, then you only play COD of BF. Most games of this type last at least 20 hours. Deus Ex for example lasted that.

If the game is amazing the reply will probably get 50 + from me I'm a slow gamer though... that game was sooo amazing for me because it was my first Deus Ex and I didn't really know what I bought got it for 35... the best money I spent in 2011 got 80 hours on my steam.. It was amazing, with all the comparisons I was exciting something similar... I hope its as engrossing as DEXR was ...

Just so I can get a little context. They aren't trying to go the stealth route? They are just running through the game COD style?

That makes a big difference. I can cut any stealth game by more than half if I want to go in guns blazing. MGS, SP, DEHR are all elongated by using the environment and really being mindful of your surroundings. If you go all commando:

a) The game isn't that fun
b) You can blaze through it

If thats the case than I am not worried.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd like to see someone go through it at 5 hours with the following rules

-Very hard difficulty
-Turn objective markers off and anything else that gives hints or helps you find things
-Pure stealth. Killing is acceptable but should be used sparingly and obviously unseen.
-Explore the surroundings a bit for christ's sake. It's the whole point of the game.

Eusis

Mind you, with "rushing" I mean killing everyone and going straight to the objective, not simply dodging every enemy.
Dodging's what actually drags it out, or so I'd think. I guess it's nice to know there's an out if I get frustrated with the game enough, albeit at the expense of length.

-Very hard difficulty
-Turn objective markers off and anything else that gives hints or helps you find things
-Pure stealth. Killing is acceptable but should be used sparingly and obviously unseen.
-Explore the surroundings a bit for christ's sake. It's the whole point of the game.

This is how I plan to play the game, so I'm not worried about the length at all.

Mrbob

So he rushed on easy, why should we care?

Who plays these games on easy tearing through it?

I wouldn't mind a longer game, but if it is only 6 to 10 hours long it doesn't bother me. More chance for replay ability. As long as the game is great and you can truly tackle situations differently, it will make going back more fun. And less tedious since the game isn't 30 hours long.

-Very hard difficulty

Its impossible. Even for Batman.

Curufinwe

So getting this for $30 on Black Friday looks like a good plan. I thought it would be close in length to Deus Ex HR, but if I'm going to want to play thru it twice and try to get most of the Achievements then a sub-10 hour campaign isn't a deal breaker.

So he rushed on easy, why should we care?

Who plays these games on easy tearing through it?

I wouldn't mind a longer game, but if it is only 6 to 10 hours long it doesn't bother me. More chance for replay ability. As long as the game is great and you can truly tackle situations differently, it will make going back more fun. And less tedious since the game isn't 30 hours long.

Well, four hours *is* short. As I said, I'd be fine with 7-8 in full kill mode.

Atomski

I am really wondering about the PC controls in this game. Everytime I see a video and the player has to stop the game to select multiple spells over and over, I cant handle but shudder at this. Surely the PC version we will be able to hot key all these spells right?!? It would make the gameplay so much better if you could hotkey more than the 4 that would be restricted on the controller.

If the pause select spell stuff can be fixed with hotkeys on PC it would feel so much more fluid and natural.. and frankly much more fun to watch.

I am really wondering about the PC controls in this game. Everytime I see a video and the player has to stop the game to select multiple spells over and over I cant handle but shudder. Surely the PC version we will be able to hot key all these spells right?!? It would make the gameplay so much better if you could hotkey more than the 4 that would be restricted on the controller.

If the pause select spell stuff can be fixed with hotkeys on PC it would feel so much more fluid and natural.. and frankly much more fun to watch.

Yep, hotkeys like Dark Messiah.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I am expecting at least 10 hours for me. There are all sorts of items to collect, I'll be stalking and going stealthy as much as possible and will take time to explore and play around in the environment with my powers. Hype mode still fully engaged.

GorillaJu

I think it's funny that "full kill mode" is supposed to be the fastest way through the game. Shouldn't enemies be dangerous in this type of game, so that using stealth and your abilities as efficiently as possible would be the optimal play-style?

Play the game like your garden variety FPS and it's actually easier? That, to me, would be poor game design.

I agree, but all these complaints about time based on easy mode seems silly. I didn't realize so many people buying this game were going to rush through it on babyz mode.

Because every gamer has to play on super hard mode just to get their moneys worth. Why should I have to play on hard mode just to make my game last longer?

I think it's funny that "full kill mode" is supposed to be the fastest way through the game. Shouldn't enemies be dangerous in this type of game, so that using stealth and your abilities as efficiently as possible would be the optimal play-style?

Play the game like your garden variety FPS and it's actually easier? That, to me, would be poor game design.

Enemies *are* dangerous, apparently. The guy in the stream died a lot.

mjc

Because every gamer has to play on super hard mode just to get their moneys worth. Why should I have to play on hard mode just to make my game last longer?

Why would you want to play on easy? There's lots of difficulties between the two extremes.

Top Bottom