• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

apesh1t

Banned
I'm skipping this one at launch, maybe bite at 30-40 dollars. Seems pretty cool, but I can't see plunking down 60 bucks for it.

This has nothing to do with my feelings on the gameplay, but I hate the art style. Looks almost exactly like Bioshock (which I liked) but really fails to maintain it's own identity.

.la1n

I won't be paying full price for a 7-10 hour game. I have plenty of games in the back log. Looks like I'm cancelling the preorder until I see more impressions.

ironcreed

Banned
CVG is calling it "GOTY" and a "real once in a generation gamer's game that rewards patience." Strong claims and has me very excited.

Koroviev

I'm skipping this one at launch, maybe bite at 30-40 dollars. Seems pretty cool, but I can't see plunking down 60 bucks for it.

This has nothing to do with my feelings on the gameplay, but I hate the art style. Looks almost exactly like Bioshock (which I liked) but really fails to maintain it's own identity.

I'm not big on the cartoon-like aspect of the artstyle. The atmosphere and gameplay look very promising, though.

pa22word

The embargo is what caused this, actually.

You believe that an embargo caused the irrational responses or the publisher enabled the embargo to try and quash them preemptively?

Honestly, I think the embargo is a waste because irrational people are going to be irrational regardless of what you do, so why try and steer the storm?

Poor Arkane Studios. Now the sales are gonna be pretty shitty because somebody rushed trough the game with everyone killing. Its a stealth game and its meant to be played like that. If u gonna rush trough it u gonna have one ending. But u get probably the best ending for being stealthy instead of rushing.

Kard8p3

Would like to know this too

He said he played it for a week, but, that was it, no hours mentioned.

Either way, hyped!

PvnVZ.gif

Bittercup

Is there any major differences between the PS3 and 360 version?

Currently I have the PS3 version pre-ordered.
Not much known so far. Only small things like different Anti-Aliasing being used.
But no difference in content or announced exclusive DLCs or any other major things.

ironcreed

Banned
Can't watch right now, any mention of the length?

Nope, but said it rewards the patient player and it really tries to dissuade you from playing like a shooter. Said the atmosphere is wonderful, the world feels believable and it is a pleasure to play in. Everything gameplay-wise works wonderfully, gives tons of freedom and options and you will want to come back to play it even more. Called it GOTY and a once in a generation type of game. A real 'gamer's game.' Not word for word, but that is a small summary.

Can't watch right now, any mention of the length?

Would like to know this too
No, he didn't bring up total game length at all.
You believe that an embargo caused the irrational responses or the publisher enabled the embargo to try and quash them preemptively?

Honestly, I think the embargo is a waste because irrational people are going to be irrational regardless of what you do, so why try and steer the storm?

If more proper reviews were out there, nobody would seriously be discussing some random 4chan players gametime. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day though, we should have a good idea of the length before the game is out.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I love how we are irrational when we have an actual video of someone beating the game on his first playthrough (?) in close to 5 hours. Yes, it is on easy. But so far that is all we really have to go off of, and I can't imagine stealth and/or a harder mode tripling the length of that...

Reviews come out tomorrow, so I imagine the vast majority will wait until then. But if this length concern has merit, then people have every right to be concerned about spending $60 on a game that can potential be beaten in one or two normal gaming sessions.

look at all those developer commentary videos. only the commentary was good i guess.

and it is a bethesda game. we should be expecting more issues like skyrim and ps3 with this one too.

pa22word

Yes, you are irrational for thinking a mode that essentially plays the game for you is indicative of actual playtime in an emergent setting. It's akin to bashing Bayonetta for being too short on its easy auto mode.

Bog

Junior Ace
It's really not $60 everywhere, people. Multiple stores have it with a $10-20 gift card and a GMG presale gets you the PC version for $45 or something. What, do you only shop at GameStop?

Fletcher

Even if it were to take 5 hours to blast through, which it seems should not be the case for MOST people actually out to play the game, I would still be supportive if those core five hours were amazing and the ideas and mechanics presented were great. To support it and ensure that those bits are fleshed out in a sequel with more time, money, and new hardware.

GorillaJu

5hrs is patience?!

We have stooped so low that we have pulled stealth games to CoD levels too. :(

You start off by learning that the president of Dunwall has a nuclear bomb and you need to assassinate his radical nephew to make him stop.

If you're patient you wait 5 hours for nephew to take his evening stroll, then slice his little neck open. But I heard if you just run in and kill everyone on easy mode you can finish the game in 7 minutes.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yes, you are irrational for thinking a mode that essentially plays the game for you is indicative of actual playtime in an emergent setting. It's akin to bashing Bayonetta for being too short on its easy auto mode.

For now we have no evidence ( that isn't a developer trying to sell his game) to the contrary. Until we get evidence stating otherwise, it's hard to imagine that a harder mode and a stealth approach could triple the game length. But I imagine that currently many gamers are only stressing concerns, not actually canceling a purchase. Reviews come tomorrow, and I'm sure most people will wait until then, but they have every right to be a little bit worried.

It's really not $60 everywhere, people. Multiple stores have it with a $10-20 gift card and a GMG presale gets you the PC version for $45 or something. What, do you only shop at GameStop?

$45, $50, $60, that is still a lot to spend on a potential <10 hour game.

The last time we had an embargo of this sort was during Duke Nukem Forever.

GorillaJu

Maybe not by intent but we know the guy was playing on easy, couldn't even handle stealth on that difficulty and blew through the game murdering everyone and not exploring at all.

We're also apparently taking the comments of Anonymous at face value, and even extrapolating how the player he was watching on stream played.

steven28

Wow 9.5 ...great score.Just need to hear about length now..i really hope it isn't 5 hours long..im cool with a 9 or 10 hour game though,a 10+ hour game is great if true.

M.W.

The CVG reviewer said he played it for a week. Didn't mention length, but he did say it's a great game to sit back and take your time exploring.

Eusis

The last time we had an embargo of this sort was during Duke Nukem Forever.
If I was going to pull bullshit examples I'd at least be truthful and say Resident Evil 6. That actually was the last time we saw this sort of embargo... because it came out this week and it happens on damn near every major game anymore, and even quite a few non-major games.

ironcreed

Banned
The CVG reviewer said he played it for a week. Didn't mention length, but he did say it's a great game to sit back and take your time exploring.

Indeed, which is the intent of the game. All of these paths, powers, choices and side quests that can affect the main story are there to observe, explore, plan on and have fun with, while weighing the consequences. If you blitz straight through on easy and take none of that into account, then you effectively have missed the game. Not worried about it at all.

Tess3ract

Banned
Name one RPG that has 100 hours of content. The biggest I can think of is Morrowind, and you'll complete that game in half that time if you find the combat interesting enough.

I can't think of any 100 hour RPGs that have the content to support it for this generation. Enlighten.

See:
Xenoblade Chronicles.
Some JRPGs are that long, DQVII for example.
Also Dragon Quest 8, the best one in the series

Eusis

Oddly enough, I don't think I could actually call Dragon Quest VIII the best in the series. It's the one I like most, but it scratched an itch for exploration in a JRPG that no one else was doing a remotely good job with. If you had every game built in the same engine though it'd probably end up being DQV as my unquestioned favorite.

Durante

Dragon Quest 8 didn't even come close to having the gameplay variation to support its length. I had to drop it after 25 hours or so, even though I loved it after 10. (Exactly the same story for Xenoblade by the way)
That's why I generally dislike seeing length as a purely positive quality, it often leads to terrible padding or repetitiveness.

The only single-player games this gen that I played for more than 50 hours are Oblivion and Skyrim (both heavily modded), Fallout: New Vegas and Dragon Age Origins.

Spookie

Indeed, which is the intent of the game. All of these paths, powers, choices and side quests that can affect the main story are there to observe, explore, plan on and have fun with, while weighing the consequences. If you blitz straight through on easy and take none of that into account, then you effectively have missed the game. Not worried about it at all.

Quoting this so it doesn't get buried under a sea of over reacting typical bullshit.

vazel

Banned
It's heartbreaking to see all this whining. We rarely see games with this kind of ambition anymore, don't let the sales suffer people. I just placed my pre-order on GMG with the 25% off coupon.

They have said its 10-12 hours for the main quest. 25 if you do everything. Where the hell are people getting 7 hours from? And regardless: if it's fucking brilliant, who gives a shit?

Jesus: you guys are going to be seriously disappointed next gen. Games are only going to get shorter in the AAA action world...

Deadbeat

Banned
edit: I remember someone getting banned for joke (ie false) spoilering so deleted.
If more proper reviews were out there, nobody would seriously be discussing some random 4chan players gametime.
4 channers called out MoH 2010 having a single player being 3.5 hours long.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
They have said its 10-12 hours for the main quest. 25 if you do everything. Where the hell are people getting 7 hours from?

Yeah, if you're playing on easy and skipping all the side content, it's not hard to exploit open games for fast playtimes. We did an office speed-run of Skyrim before it shipped and got it down to ~2 hours. Because of the sandbox level design, Dishonored doesn't have a lot of cutscene gating or corridor event sequences to artificially prevent you from speed-running. But those fast runs don't represent normal playthroughs at all; usually times fall in the 12-20+ hour range, plus replays for different endings/powers etc.

Top Bottom