• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Deadbeat

Banned
Omg I feel like I am going to get a nose bleed from this thread.
So because of a lack of creativity on the developers part we should all just lower our expectations from now on?
We are in the age where consumers will defend getting screwed over. You know why we have season passes and DLC? Because consumers are stupid enough to buy it and publishers know they are.

Have multiple people claimed it to be 4-5 hours long? Or is it just one dude blitzing right through it? While I don't care for games that overstay their welcome I do hope it's more than Prey in length.

GorillaJu

That's great to hear [that enemies are dangerous]. I'm not worried about length at all myself. As I've said a few times, I expect the game to take around 10-12 hours for the average person.

I'll be playing it on one difficulty higher than normal on my first time through, taking advantage of all my abilities and stealth, killing people when I feel my character would deem them worthy of dying.

I generally play through games only once, unless they've sucked my soul into their depths, like Persona 3/4 did, but I have nothing against paying full retail for 11 quality hours of gaming.

Mrbob

Because every gamer has to play on super hard mode just to get their moneys worth. Why should I have to play on hard mode just to make my game last longer?

You don't. Still doesn't make complaints about time based on easy any less silly. Gears of War has a casual mode where you can tear through it without penalty, that game sucks too I guess!

I would figure a gaffer would choose at least normal.

I agree, but all these complaints about time based on easy mode seems silly. I didn't realize so many people buying this game were going to rush through it on babyz mode.

I only play on easy, but that's because I'm not into frustration and retrys.

Smash88

Banned
I feel that many people on GAF are over-hyping this game.

I'll wait for reviews and people's opinions on this game before even considering it. While cool, a single player only game with a what? 10 hour campaign for $60 doesn't cut it.

People did the same thing for Darksiders 2, and we all know how that turned out, especially for PC.

I'll most likely wait for the Steam sale

I feel that many people on GAF are over-hyping this game.

I'll wait for reviews and people's opinions on this game before even considering it. While cool, a single player only game with a what? 10 hour campaign for $60 doesn't cut it.

People did the same thing for Darksiders 2, and we all know how that turned out, especially for PC.

I'll most likely wait for the Steam sale

In the end, the only opinion or review that should matter is that of your own.

pa22word

Are we seriously giving weight to a report of a 4chan player beating the game on the easiest difficulty in 4 hours running straight through?

Pathetic.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are we seriously giving weight to a report of a 4chan player beating the game on the easiest difficulty in 4 hours running straight through?

Pathetic.
Well, I probably couldn't do that in Thief, Hitman or Deus Ex on my first playthrough (though maybe someone somewhere did) so while it obviously doesn't tell the whole story, it does tell some of it. Being on 4chan doesn't give people magic powers so as long as it's actually true (people said they've seen the stream, I'm not going to spoil myself) I don't see what that has to do with it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well something tells me this is going to end up being brink 2.

There's a difference between Brink and Dishonored and that is that people said that Brink needed work, while everyone has praised Dishonored so far. I think you're jumping to a conclusion here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, keep in mind, it's a 60 dollar PC game.

I could justify that price to game length with a SimCity or even Human Revolution but not this.

Eusis

Well, I probably couldn't do that in Thief, Hitman or Deus Ex on my first playthrough (though maybe someone somewhere did) so while it obviously doesn't tell the whole story, it does tell some of it. I don't think being on 4chan gives people magic powers either so as long as it's actually true I don't see what that has to do with it.
Hopefully it's just "yes, any approach REALLY WORKS" rather than just "this is a very short game".

Though another angle to think about: many of the games with the most freedom ARE fairly short, and if there's multiple methods to accomplish a goal (not just violent/non-violent) then I can definitely see why it can be that short on the easiest difficulty with the simplest method.

I could justify that price to game length with a SimCity or even Human Revolution but not this.
And $45? Or even $50?

ironcreed

Banned

Pathetic.

No, it was just a bit worrisome to here the initial report. I am going to be playing completely opposite to what this player did and at a higher difficulty, so am expecting at least 10 or so hours from going stealthy and taking it all in. With that taken into account along with the replay value due to multiple paths and choices, I should be good. But on the other side of the coin, I hope the stealth does not end up feeling like a way to make the game longer. The mechanics and way you play is supposed to effect everything, though, so I kind of doubt that will be the case.

I always find self-imposed restrictions are a ridiculous way to justify a badly designed game.

What self-imposed restrictions?

Playing the game on hard in a stealthy manner is going to take longer than playing the game on easy and killing everything in sight.

They are just different play styles.

pa22word

Well, I probably couldn't do that in Thief on my first playthrough (though maybe someone somewhere did) so while it obviously doesn't tell the whole story, it does tell some of it.

Thief was designed in different age. The difference between the easiest difficulty in Thief and the easiest difficulty in modern games is fairly vast.

The easiest difficulty in Dishonored is probably a "you can beat this with one hand" mode, as is in most games nowadays.

Eusis

What self-imposed restrictions?

Playing the game on hard in a stealthy manner is going to take longer than playing the game on easy and killing everything in sight.

They are just different play styles.
I think it'd be more interesting to know about normal with stealth, playing on Hard IS arguably a "restriction", while normal's the intended baseline for anyone competent with games and wanting something resembling a challenge (I believe).

Though given how much stuff you can just flip off it's definitely fair to question how long the game will actually be with these "self imposed restrictions" anyway.

Mrbob

Got my copy for 45 dollars! Never pay retail for PC gaming, too many deals.

I don't have a problem with people complaining about time. If it's too short for you, wait for a bigger price drop! I just can't understand the complaint from someone rushing through the game on easy mode.

Arcteryx

Thief was designed in different age. The difference between the easiest difficulty in Thief and the easiest difficulty in modern games is fairly vast.

The easiest difficulty in Dishonored is probably a "you can beat this with one hand" mode, as is in most games nowadays.

It does indeed have autoaim, so yea probably true. Plus, the hints for puzzles and whatnot, and you can probably easily shorten the length by a couple hours.

Alexios

Hopefully it's just "yes, any approach REALLY WORKS" rather than just "this is a very short game".
But as I said before I find that problematic. If any approach works no approach should be less challenging and thus less time consuming, killing enemies should have good, varied and challenging gameplay that doesn't take that much less time than the stealth approach. Because when I'm discovered if it's a viable choice then I will kill the fuck out of someone rather than restart without having died. At least on my first playthrough. Just as I occasionally kill guards/zombies/whatever in Thief when it seems viable, ie, it's just one and I have a lot of health, although I still die sometimes. Generally, knowing I have alternatives lessens the tension and importance of my primary choice even if I do bother posing silly restrictions on myself. It's one thing to be tense because I could die if I fail and a whole other thing to just fail my personal achievement or whatever.

But yeah, knowing that you can have objective markers etc which I won't be using does indicate that it'll take me a bit longer than that at least, as that's a pretty big deal depending on the level design. As long as it's not actually annoying to find your way around without aids, it needs to feel good to explore your surroundings and not have illogically hard to find objectives, but cool to discover.

Spookie

It does indeed have autoaim, so yea probably true. Plus, the hints for puzzles and whatnot, and you can probably easily shorten the length by a couple hours.

You can turn hints and hud elements off in the PC version if you don't want the help. Not so sure about consoles though.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is there any major differences between the PS3 and 360 version?

Currently I have the PS3 version pre-ordered.

GrayFoxPL

People who try to justify this saying that game X can be finished in few hours need to realize there's difference between first time playing game and speedrun when you know everything about it.

Everything points to that it is a short game. Maybe that 20 hours was for playtesters...

Eusis

I'd have to find out how it's "bad". Is it in a fun way? MGS can have stupid AI but it's far more sophisticated than you'd see in Elder Scrolls, where they pretty much have two modes: don't know you're there/aggressive, and know you're there/aggressive. Also why I don't place any value in stealth for them.

People who try to justify this saying that game X can be finished in few hours need to realize there's difference between first time playing game and speedrun when you know everything about it.

Everything points to that it is a short game. Maybe that 20 hours was for playtesters...

Everything points? All we have to go on right now is a live stream from 4chan...that as far as I know, none of us have seen.

Alexios

Just some kid reading badly. Sounds like a shallow preview, still mentioning features like the left/right hand deal by the end of it.

Skiesofwonder

Damn, I'm really questioning a purchase of this game now.... I rarely play games twice, so it might be a better rental if length concerns are true.

pa22word

Damn, I'm really questioning a purchase of this game now.... I rarely play games twice, so it might be a better rental if length concerns are true.

Due to a 4 hour run on Easy, folks.

This is why we have embargoes...

And maybe you need to realize there's a difference between a mode admittedly designed for "casual players", which apparently contains auto-aim and gives you solutions to puzzles isn;t an indication of what you're going to experience when playing on a normal difficulty level.

Orayn

Someone streamed the game. 4 hours with rushing on easy and dying a lot.

aLLuM.png

That sounds absolutely terrible. How much longer could the game even be, if a rush is that short?

Skiesofwonder

Due to a 4 hour run on Easy, folks.

This is why we have embargoes...

Obviously I'm not going to go and cancel my pre-order right now, but if I find out that the game is a 7-10 hour playthrough on hard (or below) for most experienced gamers, then yes I would seriously consider a weekend rental. I was expecting close to 20 hours honestly.

Top Bottom