• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Tess3ract

Banned
Are we seriously giving weight to a report of a 4chan player beating the game on the easiest difficulty in 4 hours running straight through?

Pathetic.

Just because someone from 4chan beat the game doesn't invalidate the length of time.

It's easy to infer a upper limit and lower limit from someone else's time spent.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I beat the main quest of Mass Effect in about 6 hours on easy. A straight through easy run is not really indicative of the typical playthrough length.

ironcreed

Banned
The fact that he ended the review by saying, "it's a gamer's game" and it is a "once in a generation type of experience" is pretty telling and these are the only key words I need to hear. Sure, reviewers sometimes exaggerate, but one can tell by watching footage that this game has the look and mechanics going for it that makes it have that 'something special' vibe. Many were hoping and suspecting this would be the case. It's kind of nice to hear someone confirm precisely that. Bold claims indeed, but the game just fits the bill.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where does Steam put preloaded files now, I don't have Dishonored and XCOM folders in /common/ for some reason.

I wanted to check out any pdf or image files or whatever left loose.

Some guy beat Super Mario Bros. in 5 minutes. Does that mean the game on average is 5 minutes long? No.

Everybody plays games differently. That's what makes them great.

Plasmid

I got it for $60 at gamestop mainly due to personal time restraints & i traded in some stuff, so i only really had to pay ~45.

Solo

Also, another comparison, RE: game length - Bioshock (a game Dishonored bares some resemblance to) was about a 20 hour game that went on at least 7-8 hours too long.

One of you beautiful bastards had to of mirrored it.

Also, another comparison, RE: game length - Bioshock (a game Dishonored bares some resemblance to) was about a 20 hour game that went on at least 7-8 hours too long.

I loved Bioshock but that's a game that would have left a much better impression if they cut the last quarter out

Yeah, if you're playing on easy and skipping all the side content, it's not hard to exploit open games for fast playtimes. We did an office speed-run of Skyrim before it shipped and got it down to ~2 hours. Because of the sandbox level design, Dishonored doesn't have a lot of cutscene gating or corridor event sequences to artificially prevent you from speed-running. But those fast runs don't represent normal playthroughs at all; usually times fall in the 12-20+ hour range, plus replays for different endings/powers etc.
Horse's mouth. Quote this every page every time somebody claims this game is too short.

MormaPope

Banned
Said this in the CVG thread

I wouldn't discount the 4-5 hour playtime, the developers have stated many times that each area and each task can be completed in multiple ways, I'm guessing they made a really short focused game with an insane amount of player variety.

I'm worried I'm not gonna get the game on release day. I pre-ordered from amazon.com and did 2 day shipping, it originally said "get it on its release day Tuesday the 9th" next to the 2 day shipping option. But now it says estimated arrival on Wednesday when I go look at the pending order. Did anyone else pre order it from amazon? This is my first time pre-ordering a game from them so I dont know how it usually works.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, if you're playing on easy and skipping all the side content, it's not hard to exploit open games for fast playtimes. We did an office speed-run of Skyrim before it shipped and got it down to ~2 hours. Because of the sandbox level design, Dishonored doesn't have a lot of cutscene gating or corridor event sequences to artificially prevent you from speed-running. But those fast runs don't represent normal playthroughs at all; usually times fall in the 12-20+ hour range, plus replays for different endings/powers etc.

Thank you.

That sounds perfect to me. :)

neoism

ok then sounds great... would you answer this please... The FOV slider does it...just change the landscape or can I change the fov of my hands they are tooo big.

I fully expect ~20h for my first semi-violent stealth run. Second or third will be no-kill.

knew it.

Thanks for the info!

I'd like to see someone go through it at 5 hours with the following rules

-Very hard difficulty
-Turn objective markers off and anything else that gives hints or helps you find things
-Pure stealth. Killing is acceptable but should be used sparingly and obviously unseen.
-Explore the surroundings a bit for christ's sake. It's the whole point of the game.

You get it. This bitching about game length is based on a play through on easy which has next to no challenge. If some of you think that a game with no challenge involved should be longer than 4-5 hours, by all means please don't pick up this game, it's not your type. But please don't sit here and say the same exact shit over and again about an easy game should be 20 hours.

I am still extremely excited about this game.

Alexios

But please don't sit here and say the same exact shit over and again about an easy game should be 20 hours.
Well, 3D Zelda games are pretty long and even excluding big parts of the padding of something like Twilight Princess it would still probably be longer than 25 hours on first run. They're not exactly grind RPGs either. Just saying.

Doesn't seem like the kind of game to liken to Skyrim like has been done either. If it is maybe it's not what I'm looking for.

Also, I can't imagine more than a couple of playthroughs will last longer, I'm not going to explore every corner every time like it's the first time, just do what's important for a given objective, as it will no longer even feel like exploration.

Anyway, been burned by rave reviews in games I absolutely wanted to be the next big gamer thing, like Invisible War, Thief III, etc. To a lesser extent Human Revolution since it was basically billed as the 2nd coming of DX but to me it really wasn't anywhere near the original, but I guess I wasn't burned too bad since it was at least decent enough to finish although with many annoying or sub par parts that did affect enjoyment. Hopefully not this time but I already wonder if the new Hitman would be a better choice.

The Chef

Re-preordered. Thanks for this.

Amir0x

Banned
This game has a non-lethal playthrough (completely stealthy, avoid killing any targets), semi-lethal playthrough (stealthy but you can kill your targets), or a straight kill playthrough, so even if it was on the short end, there's plenty of replayability. Or whatever weird mix you want elsewise.

A game like that needs to be judged by its flexibility in design rather than pure length, because a certain percentage of gamers will play through it more than once.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dragon Quest 8 didn't even come close to having the gameplay variation to support its length. I had to drop it after 25 hours or so, even though I loved it after 10. (Exactly the same story for Xenoblade by the way)
That's why I generally dislike seeing length as a purely positive quality, it often leads to terrible padding or repetitiveness.

The only single-player games this gen that I played for more than 50 hours are Oblivion and Skyrim (both heavily modded), Fallout: New Vegas and Dragon Age Origins.

Pretty much this. A game with a dozen hours of well designed playtime is always better than something that adds on just for the purpose of adding on.

Well, 3D Zelda games are pretty long and even excluding big parts of the padding of something like Twilight Princess it would still probably be longer than 25 hours on first run. They're not exactly grind RPGs either. Just saying.

Doesn't seem like the kind of game to liken to Skyrim like has been done either. If it is maybe it's not what I'm looking for.

Anyway, been burned by rave reviews in games I absolutely wanted to be the next big gamer thing, like Invisible War, Thief III, etc. To a lesser extent Human Revolution since it was basically billed as the 2nd coming of DX but to me it really wasn't anywhere near the original, but I guess I wasn't burned too bad since it was at least decent enough to finish although with many annoying or sub par parts that did affect enjoyment. Hopefully not this time but I already wonder if the new Hitman would be a better choice.

Twilight Princess never held my interest as it was too easy and it didn't exactly have the most riveting story. I played that game for 15 hours or so and had had enough.

I can appreciate a long game. I have over 300 hours in Skyrim and hell after my 3rd play through of Borderlands 2 I have close to 100 hours played. But I am definitely in the camp of give me a good quality game that can be replayed multiple times rather than a mediocre title with length that I play once.

Alexios

Twilight Princess never held my interest as it was too easy and it didn't exactly have the most riveting story. I played that game for 15 hours or so and had had enough.

I can appreciate a long game. I have over 300 hours in Skyrim and hell after my 3rd play through of Borderlands 2 I have close to 100 hours played. But I am definitely in the camp of give me a good quality game that can be replayed multiple times rather than a mediocre title with length that I play once.
Well, I was responding to the easy games that last long deal you mentioned. I said it had padding but it still offered a ton of varied content overall, if you liked it or not doesn't mean much to the point made. There are other long, varied games, or other games that do have things you could consider padding but would still be much longer without. Once again pose silly dilemmas like either short and fun or long and boring. People never said they want long and boring, just longer than it may be and still just as fun.

Multiple plays or not I want the first one in which I only do one path or whatever to be pretty damn satisfying too, if I'm to care to replay it. Being too short could in fact deter me from doing that as the second time through I also won't be as amazed by what I see and do, or care to explore every corner all over again, even if I see what things I could have done differently and their potential effects. Plus, I may not like every possible play style since they can be radically different. Maybe combat is blah.

On a gameplay level the possibilities available could harm one or the other style too as said before. If I can overcome a challenge without being sneaky it could affect the enjoyment of a stealth run since even knowing I can always save myself by going Riddick if I make a mistake, it obviously reduces the tension of stealth (this works both ways, if I can bypass or stealth kill an enemy that could kill me in a duel during an aggressive combat run it would reduce tension for that aspect as well). It's why I didn't enjoy Peace Walker and Splinter Cell: Conviction as much as I could have. Personal goals don't trump death.

Plus, this allows you to see all the game has to offer on a game play level in one play since you can mix and match your approach, making future runs even more redundant. Especially when in the first run you're more likely to experiment in or fuck up and be forced to use your other options. I'd actually want to be locked in one or the other approach by game play mechanics that force me to choose. Not being able to have a jack of all trades character, similar to how some RPGs force specialization which makes subsequent plays with differently built characters very, well, different. I think many so called open ended games (which I still don't think this will qualify as) would benefit from posing player decided restrictions like that, but I guess it could just be me.

I've already preloaded the game but I think it's premature to tell people to calm down like it's certain the hype is real. If they are legitimate issues I want them exposed and emphasized so that a sequel doesn't have them if this does good. If there aren't, I'm sure that will become known within a couple days and it won't affect sales beyond a GAFer saying he'll buy it on a sale instead of new or whatever. Of course it's just as irrational to already condemn the game. I don't think being wary and worried is irrational.

Eusis

Probably also like how some people figured out how to get through Dark Souls very, VERY fast, but most of us would take 40-60 hours. Then again we can't exactly get caught in grinding loops in Dishonored, can we?

lucius

I guess I will just day1 pre-order take advantage of the Plus discount and some credit.

Review sounds too good to be true though.

MormaPope

Banned
This game has a non-lethal playthrough (completely stealthy, avoid killing any targets), semi-lethal playthrough (stealthy but you can kill your targets), or a straight kill playthrough, so even if it was on the short end, there's plenty of replayability. Or whatever weird mix you want elsewise.

A game like that needs to be judged by its flexibility in design rather than pure length, because a certain percentage of gamers will play through it more than once.

That's what I've been saying as well.

Camp Lo

Banned
Just got back from Toys R Us with it

4qRhE.jpg

Top Bottom