• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

It's not the console tech that makes those facial animations worse than the best out there, just the budget and priorities for the game. I think it's clearly not an AAA effort, even though they try to sell it as one (which may backfire, lots of marketing money could result in sales being lackluster so they avoid more games like it). I'm still glad it was made and did avoid AAA trends though. But no, it's not a joke, you should probably check out the game and buy it if you like its gameplay anyway. But if you just want to see the best ever graphics every time, you should probably avoid games.

Well, AAA does refer to the marketing budget not development budget.

TEH-CJ

Banned
It's not the console tech that makes those facial animations worse than the best out there, just the budget and priorities for the game. I think it's clearly not an AAA effort, even though they try to sell it as one (which may backfire, lots of marketing money could result in sales being lackluster so they avoid more games like it). I'm still glad it was made and did avoid other AAA trends though. But no, it's not a joke, you should probably check out the game and buy it if you like its gameplay anyway.

Graphics dont bother me most of the time. but it looks like a lazy effort. granted this is the first clip I have seen from the game. maybe I should check out some more footage.

SparkTR

Is this some sort of joke? it looks like it could of came out in 2005. fuck this gen already, we need new consoles. that looks pathetic. my brother has been in the 3d tech industry shit for 2 weeks now and he could make better facial animations that that.

I thought the animations looked fine, the textures look washed out but the PC version is going to be better in that regard if it bothers you.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Animations are part of art though. Just saying.

Anyway, hopefully won't be spending much time talking to people in this one anyway. Regardless of the animations.

Despera

Banned
I'd like to see someone go through it at 5 hours with the following rules

-Very hard difficulty
-Turn objective markers off and anything else that gives hints or helps you find things
-Pure stealth. Killing is acceptable but should be used sparingly and obviously unseen.
-Explore the surroundings a bit for christ's sake. It's the whole point of the game.
That's how it should be done.

Are there any pre-order incentives that include real new content (missions, weapons, etc.)? So far I only found stuff like swim/run faster and stuff I don't really care about. I am a little bit short on cash and want to pick it up later this month.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ok

Been playing for a little more than 3 hours now. Rest your fears, I am still on the very first assassination mission, which also happens to be pretty much the first main mission in the game. Absolutely impossible to beat if you are even remotely interested in doing any side quests or exploring at all. Speaking of which, there is quite a lot of that to do. There are collectibles to be found, but they are actually meaningful and have direct impact on character progression. There is also quite a bit of superfluous dialogue, books, letters etc to find and read/hear. On top of that, really early you get an item that lets you kind of read peoples minds, and a bunch of it is really interesting.

I've done one side quest so far, and it was pretty involved, and nicely designed. Multiple paths into the areas and multiple ways to get through each one. It is cool to see, even though I don't have them, how the powers would have opened different paths for me. I really like how, playing on Hard, the enemies will quickly overwhelm you. A few hits and you are done for so it pushes you towards creative ways to eliminate enemies if you go the lethal approach.

360 version runs perfectly fine. 30fps with some drops here and there, which was to be expected. Load times aren't bad and there wasn't any screen tearing. Want to know anything else just ask.

jgminto

Got a couple of codes for Corvo mask avatar items ar Eurogamer. Quote to reveal.

Thanks man! Took code 2.

Also _tetsuo_, I don't know how much experience you've had with the straight up combat but what would you consider difficult? From videos it seems like you could easily dispatch one or perhaps two guards without use of your abilities, but when do you feel it becomes a better idea to flee than fight?

zkylon

zkylewd
Some of these impressions are pure bliss.

GOTY material, it seems.
no way anyone other than ACIII actually getting it but I can only hope

Some of these impressions are pure bliss.

GOTY material, it seems.
no way anyone other than ACIII actually getting it but I can only hope

I really believe Hitman has a *shot*.

But this seems to be *killing* the competition at least based off of early impressions.

to me it looks like utter shit. tell me one good thing in that clip? shitty low res graphics with rubbish animations, shitty combat system, kill people that disintegrate, and he spent half of the time killing the mistress.
I get it. You don't like what you're seeing. Obviously this game isn't suited to your taste, so what are you doing here?

cary_grant_get_out.gif

to you it might look amazing, that is great.
Yep. It is great. I personally don't give a flying fuck about the "shity low res graphics". The game's setting, story, mechanics look amazing and I personally can't wait to play it next week.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Thanks man! Took code 2.

Also _tetsuo_, I don't know how much experience you've had with the straight up combat but what would you consider difficult? From videos it seems like you could easily dispatch one or perhaps two guards without use of your abilities, but when do you feel it becomes a better idea to flee than fight?

It isn't difficult. You can't really afford to be careless though because a few hits and Corvo is down. Sometimes they throw some wild shit at you that takes over 50% of your health.

SJRB

Gold Member
Dishonored Gameplay -
Dunwall Tower

Longest loading times ever?

Texturework and character models looked mediocre, setting looked aces though. Voice acting seems solid too. Combat looked flimsy but that's probably because it was the first time. Loved how he shot the Empress when the prompt "press LT to fire your weapon" came up.

Can't say much else, there isn't much gameplay in this video unfortunately. I'm still not sure about this one.

I get it. You don't like what you're seeing. Obviously this game isn't suited to your taste, so what are you doing here?

cary_grant_get_out.gif

Yep. It is great. I personally don't give a flying fuck about the "shity low res graphics". The game's setting, story, mechanics look amazing and I personally can't wait to play it next week.

Chill. While I agree with your point that you are making, he has just as much of right a right to talk about this as any one of us. Granted, it should be done in a more constructive way, or a way that seems to validate his point as opposed to "these GFX fucking suck."

I'm excited too, and hate when people rain on my parade with no basis or concrete evidence. But, we can all relax. It's all good brother.

jgminto

It isn't difficult. You can't really afford to be careless though because a few hits and Corvo is down. Sometimes they throw some wild shit at you that takes over 50% of your health.

Sweet. Kinda sounds like if you want to go a more action oriented route you'll really need to master the systems and use your abilities well, at least on hard.

Longest loading times ever?

Texturework and character models looked mediocre, setting looked aces though. Voice acting seems solid too. Combat looked flimsy but that's probably because it was the first time. Loved how he shot the Empress when the prompt "press LT to fire your weapon" came up.

Can't say much else, there isn't much gameplay in this video unfortunately. I'm still not sure about this one.

Doesnt seems to be the normal version. Loading times of pirate version are sometimes different (depends on how fast u burned the copy). The textures are sure looking shit sometimes (especially the fingers).

flake

Would it be safe to assume that a Bethesda published game would be region free on Xbox?

Looking to buy the US version for my PAL console.

Persona86

Banned
I really believe Hitman has a *shot*.

But this seems to be *killing* the competition at least based off of early impressions.

I believe that Hitman will be quite a bit better than Dishonored (for me) I love hitman games, even AC3 will probably be better. But I'll probably still buy dishonored, it looks good, who knows it might suprise me.

Mendrox

Got the game yesterday too (thanks gamescastle Hamburg :))

Played 2 hours and my impressions so far (360 Version):

- art style is nice (reminds me of bioshock, kinda nice)
- combat is very... well it flows very well I like it
- Awesome ways to kill people
- the worlds looks nice
- loading times are the worst thing ever...
- ...if you don't install it (the game does say that you should install it ;-) )
- story is kinda normal, nothing expectional

Got the game yesterday too (thanks gamescastle Hamburg :))

Played 2 hours and my impressions so far (360 Version):

- art style is nice (reminds me of bioshock, kinda nice)
- combat is very... well it flows very well I like it
- Awesome ways to kill people
- the worlds looks nice
- loading times are the worst thing ever...
- ...if you don't install it (the game does say that you should install it ;-) )
- story is kinda normal, nothing expectional

Thanks for the impressions.

I'm not playing with an SSD or anything but I can't imagine the load times being more than 6 or 7 seconds on PC.

Also, can you talk about the combat a bit more?

Mendrox

Thanks for the impressions.

I'm not playing with an SSD or anything but I can't imagine the load times being more than 6 or 7 seconds on PC.

Also, can you talk about the combat a bit more?

So far I have to say that in the beginning you have a pistol and a "sword" (well not a dagger but not a knife...lol) you have these weapons for 5 Minutes.

You can do stealth kills (holding R1/RB) if a person didn't see you. You can kill them from above if you drop on them and press RT/R2 at the right time.

You also get a crossbow, oh and every item with which you can shoot has auto aim. It directly follows the enemy and you can choose with up/down which part you wanna shoot (which doesn't matter in the beginning because every enemy in the tutorial dies with one shoot lol) You can also get your bolts for your crossbow back if you loot them.

What I really liked that if you run around normally or not stealthy (which you do by pressing B/O) he holds the sword like a normal sword and if you go into stealth mode he holds it the assassin way. Oh now I know that the "sword" is a combination of a dagger and sword, quiet hard to explain, but for me it's the same like in assassins creed - very stylish.

GorillaJu

I love how there were about 10 people arguing with me that it's NOTHING LIKE BIOSHOCK, and then the first thing they say in the CVG review is "Think of it as like BioShock, but done in a stealth game."

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Mendrox

I love how there were about 10 people arguing with me that it's NOTHING LIKE BIOSHOCK, and then the first thing they say in the CVG review is "Think of it as like BioShock, but done in a stealth game."

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

It obviously looks and also plays (welp, from the controls and the flow) like a stealth Bioshock :x

Ok

Been playing for a little more than 3 hours now. Rest your fears, I am still on the very first assassination mission, which also happens to be pretty much the first main mission in the game. Absolutely impossible to beat if you are even remotely interested in doing any side quests or exploring at all. Speaking of which, there is quite a lot of that to do. There are collectibles to be found, but they are actually meaningful and have direct impact on character progression. There is also quite a bit of superfluous dialogue, books, letters etc to find and read/hear. On top of that, really early you get an item that lets you kind of read peoples minds, and a bunch of it is really interesting.

I've done one side quest so far, and it was pretty involved, and nicely designed. Multiple paths into the areas and multiple ways to get through each one. It is cool to see, even though I don't have them, how the powers would have opened different paths for me. I really like how, playing on Hard, the enemies will quickly overwhelm you. A few hits and you are done for so it pushes you towards creative ways to eliminate enemies if you go the lethal approach.

360 version runs perfectly fine. 30fps with some drops here and there, which was to be expected. Load times aren't bad and there wasn't any screen tearing. Want to know anything else just ask.

thank you for the impressions. have you installed the game? if not, can you do so if possible and see if there's any improvement in load times and stability.

REUPLOAD of the CVG review. Get it quick guys!!

Edit: For those who want nothing spoiled. Don't worry, this video doesn't seem to spoil anything, it's mostly the same footage we've seen already but with two people talking about the game in a pretty general way. It seems like the reviewer wanted to praise this(which he did) without giving anything away.

video is courtesy of KareBear

Xater

REUPLOAD of the CVG review. Get it quick guys!!

Edit: For those who want nothing spoiled. Don't worry, this video doesn't seem to spoil anything, it's mostly the same footage we've seen already but with two people talking about the game in a pretty general way. It seems like the reviewer wanted to praise this(which he did) without giving anything away.

You don't throw shit like "a one in a generation kind of game" out just like that. I am now ven more excited to play it. I do have to wait a bit though because XCOM comes first for me.

You don't throw shit like "a one in a generation kind of game" out just like that. I am now even more excited to play it. I do have to wait a bit though because XCOM comes first for me.

Hahaha, yeah that's a pretty bold statement to make. It's as if everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid and it won't be stopped. Though, when more reviews hit after the embargo is over, we'll probably get a more rounded understanding of the game.

sarcoa

How does the save system work? Checkpoints or something like in Thief?
You can manually save anywhere and resume from that exact point.

The game also stacks four autosaves. Not 100% on this but it seems to do them when you get to a new area, pick up a rune or bone fragment, and get past a considerbly tricky blink sequence.

Glad we could put that 4 hour bullshit behind us. I can't believe people believed that.

I can't believe people bought into that. Of course you can smoke a game in a very short amount of time if you have it on easy and just run your ass off. I wouldn't expect it any other way. But, it's the freedom of choice that makes that option as valid as someone whom likes to spend a bit more time soaking in everything there is to offer, and to do it in a multitude of ways at that.

Xater

You can manually save anywhere and resume from that exact point.

The game also stacks four autosaves. Not 100% on this but it seems to do them when you get to a new area, pick up a rune or bone fragment, and get past a considerbly tricky blink sequence.

Four autosaves? That is great for a game like this. Especially if you go for something like the no kill achievement.

Watching that video review I love that there's an ability to stop time and set up kills within that by shooting off bullets that'll hit their target once time resumes. Reminds me of the cheats I'd play around with in UT where I'd set the timescale to 0, launch about 20 or 30 Ripper blades and then set the timescale to 0.1 to see them just tear apart a bot in slow motion. That's going to be an actual game mechanic now? Rad.

Top Bottom