• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Awww yeah! Just watched that CVG video review and they absolutely loved it. I like that the game rewards you for exploring and taking your time. I usually take single player games very slowly and immerse myself by exploring and what not so this sounds awesome to me.

Brannon

Rage is actually a good game for the first three hours. Great gunplay/shooting mechanics and then the game just takes a turn for the worse. Easily one of the worst games I've ever played.

Doesn't help that wingsticks break the game in half, as if the game isn't easy enough already, even on Nightmare.

Oh, man.

That review.

Oh, manohmanohmanohman.

The tandem sword/revolver interplay looks so damn satisfying. And blinking into a throat-slice... That shit will never get old.

Tess3ract

Banned
REUPLOAD of the CVG review. Get it quick guys!!

Edit: For those who want nothing spoiled. Don't worry, this video doesn't seem to spoil anything, it's mostly the same footage we've seen already but with two people talking about the game in a pretty general way. It seems like the reviewer wanted to praise this(which he did) without giving anything away.

video is courtesy of KareBear
They say deus ex 1 has too much freedom. Shitty review confirmed.

Just because the game is longer doesn't mean it's better. Many games outstay their welcome.

However $60 for a 5 hour game if you don't do anything else is kind of...expensive.

Even a 5 hour game that is a ton of FUN while it lasts is still a ripoff at 60 bucks to me. I don't replay games over and over as some do. I move on. I prefer the 20hr-ish fun games at full price and buy the shorter games when they drop. I'm not what is wrong with the industry. The sky high expense of producing games is what is wrong and I don't need to conform my buying habits becuase of this.

That last bit wasn't directed at you but at the general theme of this thread.

Made some Avatars for the taking:

009.jpg

Thanks.

The only thing i haven't liked so far from the gameplay of this i've seen is the lack of any sort of door-opening animation. It's not a big thing but it would of been nice.

Izick

They say deus ex 1 has too much freedom. Shitty review confirmed.

You couldn't understand where he's coming from when he said that? I mean, I don't really agree with it (haven't played DE all the way through unfortunately) but I could see how some people view it that way.

Takuan

Unfortunately, most will see "5 hour campaign" and wait for it to drop in price. Can't say I blame 'em. I can't imagine this game staying at 60 for much longer than Max Payne 3 did.

NIN90

You couldn't understand where he's coming from when he said that? I mean, I don't really agree with it (haven't played DE all the way through unfortunately) but I could see how some people view it that way.

DE really isn't all that open. There are like 3-5 ways to complete each objective but it's not like Skyrim or something.

Tess3ract

Banned
Part of me is sarcastic. However there is never truly a downside on DX1 type freedom unless the developers skimp on other things in order to make it that free.

Eusis

I don't even know of a good example for a game with "too much freedom", maybe an experimental mid-90s game, like Daggerfall if I had enough experience to speak about that. Even then that's probably more "too much bloat".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I assume what he meant by Deus Ex having "too much freedom" is that Deus Ex, like a lot of old school CRPG, aimed to make huge portions of the game world interactive even if they served no purpose. Everything and the kitchen sink, in the most literal sense. And sometimes that made for some (though very welcome) goofy and amusing outcomes, even if they didn't fit contextually in the game world.

Dishonored doesn't seem to be going for that angle, so much as making everything in the game world relevant to the gameplay itself. Freedom is, after all, an illusion. One controlled by the designers and programmers. I feel that we're most disappointed by arguments of 'freedom' when a game fails to react in a way we expected it to. Like, invisible walls, or invincible characters, or over streamlining of a level. Anything that makes the designers intentions embarrassingly transparent, as they clearly want the level to play out in a certain way and it's now become obvious. Good game design, particularly in terms of game freedom, is less about "Look at all the crap I can interact with!", and more about giving the player an assortment of means to interact with the game world, and keeping that interaction consistent throughout. Like, if I have jump/teleport skills, then I always feel I can use these skills in logical and creative ways. If I can kill and trick NPCs, then I can do this with as many NPCs as I please. That the level and game design feels unrestricted because I never hit that wall of illusion where my skills and play style suddenly don't work for no apparent, logical reason.

Eusis

I assume what he meant by Deus Ex having "too much freedom" is that Deus Ex, like a lot of old school CRPG, aimed to make huge portions of the game world interactive even if they served no purpose. Everything and the kitchen sink, in the most literal sense. And sometimes that made for some (though very welcome) goofy and amusing outcomes, even if they didn't fit contextually in the game world.
Man, forget Daggerfall, that fits the entire series.

That is a great point though. There's freedom, then there's being able to do all sorts of stupid shit that serves no purpose but to make jokes and funny videos/pictures about.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Were the bosses in Human Revolution not a version of "that wall"?

Original Deus Ex. Human Revolution's bosses are a good example of that wall, and why they're unanimously criticised as potentially the worst point of the game.

steven28

Oh that cvg review is done by alex dale..i read a magazine that he writes for and his reviews are always spot on for me.He reviewd bioshock 1 & 2 and after i played both games I agreed that he hit the exact right points and scores with both of them...if he says it's a great game i believe him and will pick it up.

Tess3ract

Banned
Oh that cvg review is done by alex dale..i read a magazine that he writes for and his reviews are always spot on for me.He reviewd bioshock 1 & 2 and after i played both games I agreed that he hit the exact right points and scores with both of them...if he says it's a great game i believe him and will pick it up.
Bioshock 1 and 2 sucked though, and once I played System Shock 2 it only reinforced that opinion.

Eusis

Ugh, I still don't know what the hell they were thinking...I'm glad Arkane decided not to have boss battles.
You get someone in the right position who goes "but bosses are a staple of video games! People won't buy this without boss fights!", and then they end up being forced in.

Derrick01

Banned
The outsourcing does not change the fact that they were a bad idea in the first place.

It could have worked if they made it in the Deus Ex fashion. Missing Link had a main enemy and a last "boss" but you could one shot the boss if you were able to sneak up on him. The hard part was getting to him since the room is full of guards, cameras and turrets.

derFeef

It could have worked if they made it in the Deus Ex fashion. Missing Link had a main enemy and a last "boss" but you could one shot the boss if you were able to sneak up on him. The hard part was getting to him since the room is full of guards, cameras and turrets.

Ah yeah, that sounds far better.
Basically approach the boss how you played the game so far. The worst part is that I have to break out of my playstyle.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
I'd take a 5 hour campaign with a truly AWESOME amount of replay value vs. them just drawing out the game. Best way to make a game on a budget (which I have to assume they are) is to make a short game with high replay value. Everyone wins, an most will actually finish the damn thing.

Cannot wait. The pedigree of the development team just screams quality on all levels.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This doesn't really remind me of Bioshock. The game plays out much differently, as you are given quite a bit of freedom and it is much more open. Not even the setting is similar, really.

Top Bottom