• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Plasmid

018.jpg

2 days left.

Eh, will wait and see on that account. I'm no genius writer, but my opinion of a good story and those of the general gaming press have often been miles apart.

You get someone in the right position who goes "but bosses are a staple of video games! People won't buy this without boss fights!", and then they end up being forced in.

Bosses were a great feature of the original game. I highly doubt they were forced into HR, they were just poorly implemented.

Guri

This doesn't really remind me of Bioshock. The game plays out much differently, as you are given quite a bit of freedom and it is much more open. Not even the setting is similar, really.

I think people compare because of plasmids and powers.

But for me, Dishonored is like... Dishonored.

another good review.

minor flaws aside, by the time the end credits rolled, I was emotionally exhausted and simultaneously stunned that a game could change the way I have always played. Dishonored is that rare RPG that takes the best of suspense novels and action movies and crafts them into the interactive experience. There is no need for number crunching or debates over ideal character builds. It is role-playing at its story-driven finest and Arkane has created an RPG formula worth emulating.

wow. can't wait. why do we have to wait until friday.

Wiggum2007

So people who have the game, have you played the Thief series? How does the level design in this compare to something like that?

They may have been programmed outside of Eidos, but it was still designed and approved by them. They would have weak regardless.

in fairness to eidos, they took the criticisms from people and fixed the boss fight in the missing link. it was much more open ended and offered players a number of ways to complete it.

Derrick01

Banned
The game gives the player lots of choice/freedom and it has a skill system.

What is your definition of an RPG?

They were saying it's a RPG because of its story, which is even more ridiculous really. But just because it has an upgradeable ability system doesn't make it a RPG, every game has that now.

Camp Lo

Banned
They were saying it's a RPG because of its story, which is even more ridiculous really. But just because it has an upgradeable ability system doesn't make it a RPG, every game has that now.

I concur. This isn't so much of a RPG as Uncharted or Assassin's Creed is. It's action adventure if I had to give it a label.

I have been thinking about what makes a game an RPG ever since I beat System Shock 2 the other day. A lot of people hold that game in high regard as one of the RPG greats, but I found the game to be a little lackluster in the choice department.

This game however seems to encourage actual role play, you can completely forgo the ability system entirely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Issue with "RPG" is a lot of people have different interpretations of what defines a game as an RPG. When I think RPG, I think how it plays on a purely mechanical level, so I think things like Fallout and Arcanum. But I know others feel story role playing is just as important, and for them a game that allows them to embody a character that can be played in multiple ways, as in role play a character through a narrative, is a definition of the genre.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So people who have the game, have you played the Thief series? How does the level design in this compare to something like that?

Not sure how I would explain that. Thief missions are a deliberate affair, awarding patience and are exploration heavily. Dishonored follows this very closely, but of course they play out rather different as Geralt can not do what Corvo can.

As to the par of them, I've played the first one in its entirety and it was very impressive.

Derrick01

Banned
Dang you people changing your avis. I have no idea who anyone is anymore.

I figured it was time for a change after 17 months ;)

I have been thinking about what makes a game an RPG ever since I beat System Shock 2 the other day. A lot of people hold that game in high regard as one of the RPG greats, but I found the game to be a little lackluster in the choice department.

This game however seems to encourage actual role play, you can completely forgo the ability system entirely.

System Shock is a little hazy for me in the memory department but I'll use something like Deus Ex which I think is more RPG than a game like this. That had a CRPG-like skill system and picking a focus on a few meant you had to give a gameplay element up, like lockpicking higher level doors or being able to swim :)lol). In this game it seems like Blink will be the only skill you really need, and everything else is given to you automatically but you can use other optional skill upgrades to make them a bit better.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
System Shock is a little hazy for me in the memory department but I'll use something like Deus Ex which I think is more RPG than a game like this. That had a CRPG-like skill system and picking a focus on a few meant you had to give a gameplay element up, like lockpicking higher level doors or being able to swim :)lol). In this game it seems like Blink will be the only skill you really need, and everything else is given to you automatically but you can use other optional skill upgrades to make them a bit better.

You actually have to unlock all the other powers. You have to find certain items in the game world and they act as your experience points, basically. Besides the powers, you can even enhance Corvos abilities, and they do change how you would play. You can make him jump higher, have more health and even an upgrade that makes stealth killed enemies dissolve into ash. Find THAT body, assholes.

On top of that, there are other items to be searched for that further augment Corvo's actions. They let you hold more potions or hold your breath longer etc. That was what I meant earlier about collectibles that were actually meaningful to character progression.

Mr. F

Banned
So, so excited for Tuesday, the reviews have me relieved. Still a bit weary of the various reports on length, but it'll be a blast all the same.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So, so excited for Tuesday, the reviews have me relieved. Still a bit weary of the various reports on length, but it'll be a blast all the same.

I played for 4 hours and only have completed the first actual mission. I am very heavy stealth and very heavy "ohh whats that over there", though.

There is also a talking heart that whispers things about people when you aim it at them. I have to do this to everyone I see, as she says some crazy shit.
That has added quite a bit of time lol

Mr. F

Banned
I played for 4 hours and only have completed the first actual mission. I am very heavy stealth and very heavy "ohh whats that over there", though.

There is also a talking heart that whispers things about people when you aim it at them. I have to do this to everyone I see, as she says some crazy shit.

Great to hear, I play very much the same way. Can't pass up talking/listening to everyone or exploring environments in depth.

That heart will probably be a time sink too, sounds awesome.

Someone on the Bethesda forums is saying the ps3 version has a lot of screen tearing I don't believe him but you see any of this holy crap.

Gartikker

Not sure how I would explain that. Thief missions are a deliberate affair, awarding patience and are exploration heavily. Dishonored follows this very closely, but of course they play out rather different as Geralt can not do what Corvo can.

As to the par of them, I've played the first one in its entirety and it was very impressive.

You mean Garrett, right? :)

DaBuddaDa

But that would mean that it doesn't run very well on ps3

I disagree. Recent UE3 games for PS3 have been universally fine: Arkham City, Lollipop Chainsaw, Spec Ops, Borderlands 2, Asura's Wrath, Mortal Kombat, to name a few. That's not to say this game will definitely run fine, won't know until it's out, but the trend is clear.

Top Bottom