• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

The Chef

by the time the end credits rolled, I was emotionally exhausted and simultaneously stunned that a game could change the way I have always played. Dishonored is that rare RPG that takes the best of suspense novels and action movies and crafts them into the interactive experience. There is no need for number crunching or debates over ideal character builds. It is role-playing at its story-driven finest and Arkane has created an RPG formula worth emulating.

My excitement is reaching insane levels.

I just need to say, that I hope somebody steps up and fills the shoes left behind by our beloved Dennis, and spends the first day filling this thread with absurdly large and glorious PC screens. =P

hitmon

took this avatar
av4bfq88.jpg
. Don't think anybody took it.

I'm definately buying the game. My attention span has diminished over the years, and there are few, few games that I'm interested, but I need something to play, and Dishonored will be that game.

Just curious, if I did buy a copy of the game on GreenManGaming and used a VPN to activate it early: Would there be a problem with doing that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just curious, if I did buy a copy of the game on GreenManGaming and used a VPN to activate it early: Would there be a problem with doing that?

GMG hasn't sent out keys yet, but if they do before it launches in your region, and it launches in another, then yes you could technically use a VPN to active it. As for problems, yes you would be breaching Valve's terms of service, and yes they would have the right to ban your account for this behaviour.

Whether or not they actually would bother is completely unknown. Most believe the ToS update specifying the new ruling exists to curb mass buying/reselling from one region to another, and not simple activation of already purchased games. I did it with Sleeping Dogs.

Derrick01

Banned

Steam doesn't normally care if you use a VPN to unlock it early but you need the key from GMG and they're not giving them out until release day.

Kard8p3

Man, I'm trying to play games to pass the time until Tuesday..but nothing holds my attention very long, I can't remember the last time I was so hyped for a game..

Thank God I'm on fall break this week, or I'd probably skip school.

Grief.exe

GMG hasn't sent out keys yet, but if they do before it launches in your region, and it launches in another, then yes you could technically use a VPN to active it. As for problems, yes you would be breaching Valve's terms of service, and yes they would have the right to ban your account for this behaviour.

Whether or not they actually would bother is completely unknown. Most believe the ToS update specifying the new ruling exists to curb mass buying/reselling from one region to another, and not simple activation of already purchased games. I did it with Sleeping Dogs.

I don't think they ever will since the people are paying customers.

NBtoaster

Bethesda seem to be putting good marketing effort into this game. This is the first game I've actually seen advertising for here in New Zealand since Skyrim.

MMaRsu

Bethesda seem to be putting good marketing effort into this game. This is the first game I've actually seen advertising for here in New Zealand since Skyrim.

Really? We just had a major gaming event here in The Netherlands where you could go hands on with the Wii-U, play Black Ops 2 and a shitton of other games like God of War Ascension were there but Dishonered wasn't. Seems like bad marketing to me :/.

Enco

In some videos the character is clearly in the line of sight of an NPC having a conversation but nothing happens.

Is it because the mode is easy and NPCs can't see far ahead of themselves or is it just bad stealth?

Jack_AG

Banned
Pre-ordered this game via PSN+

I probably should have rolled PC since I have a plenty-capable rig - but for some reason I am opting for my big screen, comfy couch and controller since I am a big fan of stealth and my computer chair availed me no comfort on my stealth character in Skyrim for the countless hours I dumped into that game... not to mention my PC isn't setup for 5.1, whereas the console gaming area of my bro-cave is. I usually split purchases between the two and my last few have been PC so I needed to switch it up a bit - my PC backlog is larger than my PS3 backlog, atm.

I also wanted to try out PSN's DD pre-order feature to see how well the experience works for me and the discount was just a bonus.

All in all I am excited for this game since it is right up my alley for stealth gameplay. Here's hoping the PS3 version will be up to snuff and the DD pre-order option from PSN goes smoothly.

eshwaaz

That Shacknews review is glorious. My only concern is the recommendation that you save often - if the console versions do not offer "save anywhere" as the PC version does, I'm gonna freak out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I know that the PC version has a lot of customization in terms of HUD, but what about the console versions? Anyone know?

M.W.

That Shacknews review is glorious. My only concern is the recommendation that you save often - if the console versions do not offer "save anywhere" as the PC version does, I'm gonna freak out.

I think I recall someone in this thread stating consoles had a save anywhere feature with 4 auto save slots.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RAGE was an excellent shooter wrapped in terrible pacing and padding. At least it looked pretty.

Camp Lo

Banned

The game saves 10 times more often that I do. I tend to reload autosaves pretty frequent because you can mess up a lot: overblinking, get seen, etc.

Social

Been playing the 360 version. Don't regret going console. Quite a good game. We have seen it all before and the experience is overly familiar but I like it. It took me like 4 hours to complete the first big mission with everything collected.

It reminds me a lot of the first Deus Ex, in terms of gameplay. Graphics are very mixed. Quite static and some very bad lighting and texture work.

Also, this game only seems to have empty bottles lying around :). I look forward to playing more.

You can save anywhere btw. Loading times are long.

Derrick01

Banned
You can save anywhere btw. Loading times are long.

Yeah we need new consoles. Games with sub par graphics but long loading times shows it. I know the levels are big and sprawling but developer ambition has been out running console power for a couple years now.

Fjordson

I want to ask "is it installed?!?" but I have a feeling the load times will be unfortunately long either way.

edit: Haha, beaten :p

Tess3ract

Banned
Disk drives are ancient history. We need consoles with hard drives that are so large you can install tons of games on them. Then you'd only use the disk to use as a disk check.

Truly, then they'd be mini-pcs.

Top Bottom