• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Dont know if its been posted yet, but Digital Foundry has their face-off posted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dishonored-face-off

To me it sounds like PS3 has a slight edge over the 360 version, which they dont admit of course. They call it a draw. PS3 has better AA, less compressed textures, 5.1LPCM, and higher framerates in cutscenes. 360's cutscenes are capped at a constant 20fps to avoid tearing. PS3 obviously has a lot more tearing in cutscenes(they say this is the only reason to choose 360 over PS3), but in gameplay they report its pretty much like for like. I could really careless about tearing in cutscenes, 20fps seems to low.

vazel

Banned
Dont know if its been posted yet, but Digital Foundry has their face-off posted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dishonored-face-off

To me it sounds like PS3 has a slight edge over the 360 version, which they dont admit of course. They call it a draw. PS3 has better AA, less compressed textures, 5.1LPCM, and higher framerates in cutscenes. 360's cutscenes are capped at a constant 20fps to avoid tearing. PS3 obviously has a lot more tearing in cutscenes(this they say is the only reason to choose 360 over PS3), but in gameplay they report its pretty much like for like. I could really careless about a bit of tearing in cutscenes, 20fps seems to low.
The nasty color banding in textures would be reason enough for me to choose the PS3 version over the 360 version. But of course DF will be DF.

lucius

I am about to start a stealth play on Hard, what were a lot of people suggesting to turn off in options, Objective Popups or Objective markers?

I want a challenge but not too frustrating

Some people think that that impresses people. They're just missing out on the whole experience. At 60-70$, enjoy the damn game! Don't sprint, what a waste.

Yeah Steam has me just under 3 hours and I've only been in the 1st real level about 20-30 minutes at most. The 1st area is pretty huge.

Yep, I keep reading posts on here like this who are taking about the same time as me, yet the first person to get the game had to be someone who would rush through it.

I get that some people will want to play it as an action game, but they would've had to run straight to objectives to complete it that quickly. I like to explore every tiny part of levels.

I am about to start a stealth play on Hard, what were a lot of people suggesting to turn off in options, Objective Popups or Objective markers?

I want a challenge but not too frustrating

Markers, they're the big annoying arrows that point you toward objectives. Popups just tell you when you've picked up a new mission or completed a task.

neoism

I'll be firing up Steam in about 10 mins, then give me 20 or so mins for tweaking, then I'll be getting my Dishonored on!

lol no sure of your set up but my game started first time in a non-supported res.. your probably using a computer monitor though...I looked for 10 minutes for a fix.. then I remembered alt+enter lol...
steam <3

Dinner is served Granny

ibgq77TcfZAag1.gif

vidcons

Banned
I really like that I have yet to find the limits of the game. Sure, an invisible ceiling that blocks me from going onto the highest roof but...

So I found a broken wall. Figured I could a) blow it up b) look around for another entrance c) see if that gate opener I found would fit in the slot or..

D) throw a bunch of bottles out of the way, possess a rat, and squirm into the secret chamber!

Also, got past the first guard the game wants you to kill without killing him. So far, that's been the highlight.

The choices have in how you go through things have been pretty small. It seems like the most clever choices are reserved for like treasure rooms, which is cool, but I'd like to feel smart about completing main objectives instead going through obviously planned paths.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really like that I have yet to find the limits of the game. Sure, an invisible ceiling that blocks me from going onto the highest roof but...

So I found a broken wall. Figured I could a) blow it up b) look around for another entrance c) see if that gate opener I found would fit in the slot or..

D) throw a bunch of bottles out of the way, possess a rat, and squirm into the secret chamber!

Also, got past the first guard the game wants you to kill without killing him. So far, that's been the highlight.

The choices have in how you go through things have been pretty small. It seems like the most clever choices are reserved for like treasure rooms, which is cool, but I'd like to feel smart about completing main objectives instead going through obviously planned paths.
It wants you to kill him? I just choked him and dragged him away without the other two noticing.

Also, I tried running as admin, and shit wont save my settings no matter what.

Ferrio

Banned
Only in the very first part of the game but..

In the sewer there's some lovers who died together in each others arms. I threw each of their bodies into the sewer. My girlfriend thought I was a terrible person. Man I love being a jerk in games.

wow not impressed so far with the graphics. there isn't any color and rooms are so sparse they don't look like real places, for example the "hub" area. all rooms are boxy, large and empty. Big disappointment after something like deus ex.

the engine runs nice at 1080p on my laptop.

hopefully things get better later on.

the combat system is very impressive however.

Truant

Usually I go exclusively with stealth/non-leathal in these types of games, but the systems here are just too fun not to use. Everything feels totally viable, and the game actually works well when you don't try to reload every time you mess up, which was a big flaw in Human Revolution and the Bioshocks.

Ferrio

Banned
So is there any reason to do a No kill run?

Reason I ask is a lot of these games make No Kill runs pretty much the same as killing except you just press a different button (non lethal take down), or use a different ammo. Which doesn't really change the gameplay. Hell do enemies even recover from being knocked out? If not then it's a silly bullshit label, and I might as well just be killing them.

Just asking, because it's a real big pet peeve for "No kill" games.

SickBoy

So conflicted on this. On the one hand, it sounds really good, sounds like they really hit the story right. On the other, I see the occasional comparison to Deus Ex... and I just couldn't get into Human Revolution...

To me it sounds like PS3 has a slight edge over the 360 version, which they dont admit of course. They call it a draw. PS3 has better AA, less compressed textures, 5.1LPCM, and higher framerates in cutscenes. 360's cutscenes are capped at a constant 20fps to avoid tearing. PS3 obviously has a lot more tearing in cutscenes(they say this is the only reason to choose 360 over PS3), but in gameplay they report its pretty much like for like. I could really careless about tearing in cutscenes, 20fps seems to low.

I was actually at the store today reading the faceoff. To me, it's a question of tradeoffs and they're pretty clear about it: some slight image quality issues versus some slightly worse tearing. I hate tearing, so I might lean a little 360 on this one. Also have more HDD space available on 360 these days (thanks a lot, PS+)

Reason I ask is a lot of these games make No Kill runs pretty much the same as killing except you just press a different button (non lethal take down), or use a different ammo. Which doesn't really change the gameplay. Hell do enemies even recover from being knocked out? If not then it's a silly bullshit label, and I might as well just be killing them.

better ending

Truant

It's generally harder to do non-lethal takedowns, as you get some skills that really help you out if you go lethal, later on.

Also, the world, story, and ending will change if you kill people. There will be more rats, zombies, etc, and certain events will straight up not happen (and vice versa) if you go lethal.

You can discover interesting ways to take down your 'targets' without killing them, such as
sending one of them into their own mine to work for the rest of their lives.
It's not really a spoiler since it's been known for months, but I've tagged it anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, just an hour in and I fell in love from the very start. This game might have the most comfortable first person controls ever. There is something about the way it handles that I can only describe as feeling soft and flowing, yet tight and precise. As you would expect an assassin's movements to be.

You find out right away that it is by no means easy, either. Guards are quick and can cut you down in a hurry. And as has already been reported, the AI is also very impressive. I was perched up on a pipe watching this guard's movements. He passed under me on his patrol a couple of times and did not notice me, but then all of the sudden he glances up and sees me and I did not even move a muscle. I can already tell that stealth is going to require being incredibly clever and subtle, while getting in and out fast.

With that, I am afraid that I will have to end up using violence more than I planned on my first go, but that is OK. I am just going to take it step by step, enjoy the amazing gameplay and the incredibly unique atmosphere that feels so immersive and makes you want to just stop and soak it in. It's clear from the get-go that it is going to be a truly rewarding experience that will be a pleasure to master due to how wonderful it feels to play.

vidcons

Banned
It wants you to kill him? I just choked him and dragged him away without the other two noticing.

Also, I tried running as admin, and shit wont save my settings no matter what.

It wants you to touch them with the morale quandaries Kill or Incapacitate?!

So I figured out a way to sneak on by. That was cool because the whole situation was near parody of Bioshock's Hard Knocks Questions. Guy behind you whispering "KILL A GUARD" after they've just given you a sword and you're staring at the dude's back in the shadows.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hell do enemies even recover from being knocked out? If not then it's a silly bullshit label, and I might as well just be killing them.

It appears that they do wake up. If someone finds them they get woken up also I do believe. Its odd though on occasion when switching zones, I find guys who are still KOed, but other occasions I see some guys who are back up on their feet.

Makes me wonder if there is some sort of internal timer. But even then it doesnt make sense since on occasion the wrong guy is up first.

bumclot

A sense of accomplishment?

Top Bottom