• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Eideka

Banned
Wah.

Pride in one's platform choice is part of gaming. Plus, this image was clearly in jest.

If bannable - then ban me for stating the SNES is better than the Genesis. That Coke is greater than Pepsi. Beatles over Monkees.

GAF can handle playful banter....

...right?

I have no idea what "pride" has to do with gaming in general.

Should I feel "proud" of playing primarily on PC ?

The platform is merely a tool, as a result the software decides where I spend my gaming time. Thankfully I happen to find everything I need on PC, the software and the graphics.
It's a win-win situation that I could not get on consoles but that's just my view.

With regard to Dishonored, I plan on doing multiple playthroughs :
-One where I will try to "ghost" as much as possible
-The second one where I will go on a killing spree.

Same as I did with Deus Ex HR.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Playing Borderlands will do that to you, amirite? I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe there's some kind of bind script to be used in a config file?

Nah I usually prefer toggle for sprint and crouch. But I have been playing Borderlands

No, that's lame and seriously not funny at all. No wonder why it's bannable.

This whole "MR" stuff is bullcrap anyway. And I'm primarily a PC gamer but I don't feel any kind of "superiority" while playing games on PC.

Sure, graphics are leagues above but at the end of the day what matters is the experience.

I own a broken Mazda, and I prefer it to shiny new BMW because of the "experience".

Derrick01

Banned
This game is kind of intimidating with not telling you where to go and how huge the levels are. I'm pretty sure I just entered a whole separate area from where I had to go for my main mission and with no map I'm kind of just like "meh fuck it I'll wander around a bit".

Found 2/5 bone charms and 2/7 runes within about 20 minutes of starting the 1st mission. Feels good man.

ctrayne

I just wanted to mention that this is so clearly the offspring of Dark Messiah. Just a lot of little details that carried over that must be a part of Arkane's flavor. Things like the way you pick up items (they kind of glide at you) and the pickup noises, plus the way you need to pick up individual items instead of groups, the way Corvo holds the knife, the sheathing sound and the way you pick up bodies, the nooks and crannies with goodies, the abundance of climbable chains, etc. It has the same rhythm, but of course the game is massively improved from DM.

I did like Dark Messiah as I saw a lot of potential there. Now they have delivered on that.

Why do you find it insulting? I don't see why someone would be upset about it, it's hilarious and not a big deal. But to each their own I guess.

this is a game thats totally fine on consoles thanks to the art style

I bought the pc version, but console versions look totally fine choices

ezekial45

Banned
How awesome would it be for Arkane Studios to make an open-world action/RPG game (a la TES/Fallout) set in this world?

I just adore this setting. I'd love for a true open world game set in this world.

Glueball

Neo Member
1 hour in:

Voice acting is pretty "meh" all around. Especially Pierrot and the Outsider... but I can overlook that because the gameplay is excellent. The story's beginnings are interesting, hopefully it doesn't get too trope-ladden later on.

Other than that, I'm having a blast.

addyb

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but since I've not played it yet I thought I'd ask fellow gaffers who are playing this now.
My mate is interested in this game but abso posi tively hates stealth games or any games that require any stealth whatsoever.
Will he honestly enjoy this game? I've heard you can go for the balls out approach but does this not spoil the fun of what the game is trying to give you from an immersion point of view?

ToD_

I really wanted to give this a try, but Green Man Gaming is rejecting all the money I try to throw at them... whether I use paypal or my credit card.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
How awesome would it be for Arkane Studios to make an open-world action/RPG game (a la TES/Fallout) set in this world?

I just adore this setting. I'd love for a true open world game set in this world.

No feeling it. Good stealth requires much heavier structure than an open world game has.

Derrick01

Banned
2 guards were standing by a door I want to get to so I sleep dart one while I'm standing on a pipe 30 feet above them and drop assassination the other one before he figures out what's going on. GOTY.

ctrayne

Not feeling it. Good stealth requires much heavier structure than an open world game has.

I can totally appreciate the ezekial45's sentiments, but I totally agree. Not a big fan of open worlds, prefer the mini-sandbox, highly detailed approach. The world is indeed quite cool.

I have no idea what "pride" has to do with gaming in general.

Should I feel "proud" of playing primarily on PC ?

The platform is merely a tool, as a result the software decides where I spend my gaming time. Thankfully I happen to find everything I need on PC, the software and the graphics.
It's a win-win situation that I could not get on consoles but that's just my view.

With regard to Dishonored, I plan on doing multiple playthroughs :
-One where I will try to "ghost" as much as possible
-The second one where I will go on a killing spree.

Same as I did with Deus Ex HR.

Not my place to tell anyone when to feel pride - or explain the 90s playground culture that has evolved into message boards and drunken nerd debates amongst friends.

I'm glad we agree Dishonored is looking to be a solid experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Isn't it wonderful?
I like you so much
2 guards were standing by a door I want to get to so I sleep dart one while I'm standing on a pipe 30 feet above them and drop assassination the other one before he figures out what's going on. GOTY.
Planning, executing, and pulling something off like this really is gaming at its finest. Same with planning a route to make it from A to B without being seen and doing so. The sheer variety of ways in which the software enables you to feel like a badass is staggering.

krishian

I can totally appreciate the ezekial45's sentiments, but I totally agree. Not a big fan of open worlds, prefer the mini-sandbox, highly detailed approach. The world is indeed quite cool.
I feel the same way as you, but, sadly, I can see them making it open world if they ever get to do a sequel.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its too bad that the drop from a high place onto an enemy only knocks em down but not out. Since would be nice to use that as another non-lethal takedown. Have tried several times now all end with the guard getting back up. Unless I drive my knife through his skull, which defeats the whole purpose. D:

May pick this up on PSN. Waiting for detailed impressions on anything Bethesda logo + PS3 though.
Different engine, different developer, has literally nothing to do whatsoever with the tragedy that is Skyrim other than having the same publisher. They don't sprinkle "play like shit on a PS3" dust when stamping the discs in manufacturing or sending the data to Sony. :p

Plasmid

Has anyone had trouble
dueling
Lord Shaw? My game lets me go but then it signals that the guards are aware who i am and i can't do it.

:lol it was because i strangled a guard before OOPS

Fou-Lu

How are the difficulty modes in this game? Just about to start and usually I go for the highest difficulty, but if it turns the enemies psychic then I probably won't this time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does the HUD fade or are there static images that never move?
turn off objective markers, turn off crosshair, make health/mana contextual, game looks like this while playing it:
iWgab6VnhM6kt.png
Well, I'm using SweetFX there, but you get the idea.

edit: Oh wow haha, didn't even realize my health was showing in that shot. I was being chased, it fades away after a few seconds when set to contextual.

How much freedom do you have in this game? Is it like Hitman where you can kill every person? No unlimited enemy respawn? What happens if you fail a mission? Does the game end or will you be able to just walk around and explore/kill nonetheless?

I'm not entirely sure how long I've played it for, but it's easily over 2 hours and
I just got the heart and my powers from the void.
It amazes me that someone managed to complete this in 4 hours, they must've sprinted through the whole game.

ctrayne

Is it like Hitman where you can kill every person? No unlimited enemy respawn? What happens if you fail a mission? Does the game end or will you be able to just walk around and explore/kill nonetheless

You can kill everyone or you can kill no-one. You can beat the entire game without killing a soul, even the assassinations targets (yep.)

There is no infinite respawn.

I don't think you can fail a mission, per se. It's like Thief or Deus Ex, each mission is a huge level, played in consecutive order. There is a mini-Metroidvania esque hub in between missions too.

I'm not entirely sure how long I've played it for, but it's easily over 2 hours and
It amazes me that someone managed to complete this in 4 hours, they must've sprinted through the whole game.

Some people think that that impresses people. They're just missing out on the whole experience. At 60-70$, enjoy the damn game! Don't sprint, what a waste.

You can kill everyone or you can kill no-one. You can beat the entire game without killing a soul, even the assassinations targets (yep.)

There is no infinite respawn.

I don't think you can fail a mission, per se. It's life Thief or Deus Ex, each mission is a huge level, played in consecutive order. There is a hub in between missions too.

Awesome, thanks.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah Steam has me just under 3 hours and I've only been in the 1st real level about 20-30 minutes at most. The 1st area is pretty huge.

Top Bottom